Value of: Laine and his new contract

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Please quote where I said players producing on the PP have no value. I'll wait.

Since you can't, stop putting words in my mouth to fit your tap routine

Since you asked. Last time and I am moving on as others have requested. Here is your last chance to explain what you meant for the BPA in terms of living on the PP comment. Sounds like a slag to most.
while playing sheltered minutes and living on the PP?
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/148293209/

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
I agree. I don't usually respond to foolishness as in my particular usage of what BPA means. I have used this to describe Laine as a Beast Professional Athlete in the past to fellow Laine fans. Not sure why some random poster would take offence.

But he or she chose to reply to me on another poster that nothing to do with my post. Should have just ignored it based on the dancing and weaving of living on the PP narrative. Point is name me a greet player that never produced on the PP. Just seemed like random bias to me.

I actually didn't do any dancing at all. Hilarious you're redefining BPA and saying that about me.

What I mean regarding PP production, is when comparing two great players (I know you're pretending now that isn't what you meant) that one produces waaaay more at even strength, it is a plus to him.

Edited: to - two

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Since you asked. Last time and I am moving on as others have requested. Here is your last chance to explain what you meant for the BPA in terms of living on the PP comment. Sounds like a slag to most.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/148293209/

And I doubt anyone else tried to interpret that as ppp have no value

I actually just explained that in another post, which I assume we wrote at the same time.

I'm also willing to drop it if you don't say anything else about me. But so far...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
And I doubt anyone else tried to interpret that as ppp have no value

I actually just explained that in another post, which I assume we wrote at the same time.

I'm also willing to drop it if you don't say anything else about me. But so far...

OK then, what Laine does on the PP requires special talent. Not many players can do. There is value to it, you just intimated it this was the case. So players that do what Laine can do on the PP just don't just live on the PP as you previously stated. We can move on then. As for BPA, this is for me and fellow Laine fans to interpret. I have been using this for awhile, no need for you to worry about our usage of it.

BTW I still am not sure why you 1st chose to quote me, with a reply that was directed more to Pshycodad I believe it was this morning? Seems you wanted to have a discussion with me today by any means.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
OK then, what Laine does on the PP requires special talent. Not many players can do. There is value to it, you just intimated it this was the case. So players that do what Laine can do on the PP just don't just live on the PP as you previously stated. We can move on then. As for BPA, this is for me and fellow Laine fans to interpret. I have been using this for awhile, no need for you to worry about our usage of it.

BTW I still am not sure why you 1st chose to quote me, with a reply that was directed more to Pshycodad I believe it was this morning? Seems you wanted to have a discussion with me today by any means.

I actually should have quoted your "BPA" post with that first one, that was a mistake.

Since I now know you didn't mean to imply that Laine is the best player available from 2016, I apologize for thinking that and lumping you in with psychodad & friends.

Laine is absolutely a special talent, and very few can do what he does on the PP. Very few can shoot like that at any time.

Have a good day

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I actually should have quoted your "BPA" post with that first one, that was a mistake.

Since I now know you didn't mean to imply that Laine is the best player available from 2016, I apologize for thinking that and lumping you in with psychodad & friends.

Laine is absolutely a special talent, and very few can do what he does on the PP. Very few can shoot like that at any time.

Have a good day

My usage for BPA also covers(Beast, Best Playoff, athelete are just a few) is a nickname for Laine with other fans of Laine. No need to read too much into this. It's between us.

As for Laine being the best player overall from the 2016 draft, I have long maintained he was prior to the draft lottery. Time will tell there, but he is off to a great start. One of the best teenage goal scorers in history, the best teenage scorer from the 2016 draft, 12 Playoff Points in his first exposure to the NHL playoffs, 2 playoff rd wins, ( a team distinction but nevertheless he did the same in Liiga) the only 70 points player from 2016 draft, and the only 44 goal scorer from that same draft and IMO he is just scratching the surface of his ceiling.

There is nothing that I have seen that changes that belief. You may hold a different opinion, and that is fine. But it is not worth you or others obsessing on what others believe.

With that, thanks for the conversation, I think we ended it on a good note. Cheers have a good one.

Last edited:
Reactions: loyaltotheend

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
I think once the isles finish last and draft Hughes they’re going to throw a 7x15 million dollar contract at Laine to have him play with barzal.

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
I'm gonna guess 8 by 9.5 million a year. The points and production he puts up is great. And that's on the second line.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i'll take the most recent stats and overall stats (29 of 80 goals) are in my favor as well.
fair enough. Just saying he's played 2 seasons in the NHL with 1 i would say he had high PPG to EVG ratio. Most top goalscorer in the leagues have a high PPG / Total Goals ratio. The top 5 goal scorers the last 2 seasons are above 30%.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Any thread involving Laine, Matthews or Eichel really does bring out the worst in this place.
Eichel barely matters in this conversation as he is from a different draft.

Anyway, I could see Laine taking $8M if it's an 8 year deal. If the deal is shorter then more most likely.

It's too bad the 2016 top-2 draft picks, who are basically equal at this point, always start a shit show even in a thread that's only about one of them. Also as sad is somehow some here can't accept that.

member 157595

Eichel barely matters in this conversation as he is from a different draft.

Anyway, I could see Laine taking $8M if it's an 8 year deal. If the deal is shorter then more most likely.

That would be a steal for what Laine brings.

It's too bad the 2016 top-2 draft picks, who are basically equal at this point, always start a **** show even in a thread that's only about one of them. Also as sad is somehow some here can't accept that.

We're thrilled with what we have and so is Winnipeg. I'd never consider going back and taking Laine 1st, and I have no idea what Winnipeg would do (since I don't follow the Jets) but I certainly wouldn't judge them negatively at all if they kept Laine over Matthews.

Other than both players being two of the best of their age group in the world, their games are not similar IMO. One player is simply not a substitute for the other and no amount of manhood-measuring contests on either side is going to change that. People simply need to start looking at both of them objectively and enjoy them for who they are.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
What are you on about? The valuation was posted on the trade rumors and free agent board. It is open to all fans. Fans from a lot of different teams have both read and posted in this thread. Most Leaf fans ( not all) hope Laine gets north of 10 million that is not disdain. 10,000,000 players are franchise players. Jets fans want him under 10,000,000 some as low as 7.5. Read the board before posting. Besides, you're a Panthers fan hypocrite.
What an awful post all around. Lack of knowledge is hurting me. What does me being a panthers fan have to do with it lol.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Its too hard to argue Laine vs Mathews because its similar to Ovi vs Crosby. Differnt styles of play in different roles and it depends on what you believe is more important. And its funny because im Ovi>Crosby but at the same time CURRENTLY Mathews>Laine. Mathews style of C is.more my style. More goals then assists and plays to me more of a Malkin style then a McDavid/Crosby type that loaded up on assists for points.

That being said IF and I mean only IF Laine can keep potting goals like he is and lets say hits 50 2 of the next 5 years and getting mid 40s the other 3 and Mathews plays like he is now which is great I take Laine because I think that as a F the most important thing you can do is score. If you were a good 2 way winger with only 60 points but 53 were goals your still the best forward because assists are very over rated. Some are very important and directly lead to the play and the way you did it mattered but it often isnt the case. Same reason I take Mathews over McDavid 10 out of 10 times and never look back.

Anyways Laines next contract I see being 8x8 or 8.5. Deserves more then a guy like Marner even though I hope Marner makes like 9 just to stick Toronto in cap hell for the Taveras garbage that is the attempt of making a golden state warriors in hockey.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
it truly warms my heart to see all the non jet fans show so much concern about our team. you know things like.....

1. the insult chevy gave to trouba over his low-ball arbitration offer.

2. the gnashing of teeth about salary cap issues.

3. the concern over how will we ever be able to manage signing laine, the 2nd pick of his draft class.

it would really be special if some of these people had ANY clue about the issues they are spouting off about

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
it truly warms my heart to see all the non jet fans show so much concern about our team. you know things like.....

1. the insult chevy gave to trouba over his low-ball arbitration offer.

2. the gnashing of teeth about salary cap issues.

3. the concern over how will we ever be able to manage signing laine, the 2nd pick of his draft class.

it would really be special if some of these people had ANY clue about the issues they are spouting off about

.....then there are those fans who come across as entitled because they cheer for a specific club. Newsflash: that doesn't make you an employee, insider, or subject matter expert.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
.....then there are those fans who come across as entitled because they cheer for a specific club. Newsflash: that doesn't make you an employee, insider, or subject matter expert.

well the same can be said about the fans of any team.

but watching chevy since he came here, I have faith that he will not let things get out of hand money wise.

we have a well balance roster and continue to get value signing. the latest being lowry

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
What an awful post all around. Lack of knowledge is hurting me. What does me being a panthers fan have to do with it lol.
Your lack of knowledge and understanding hurts me too. Read your own posts, learn something, gain some knowledge so your ignorance won't hurt you anymore. A least you cried out for help that is a good thing and credit to you. On topic it is the Leaf fans who are supporting Laine. He is a great player he might be the second best player taken in his draft year. If that isn't high enough praise for you, tell me what is and I'll use it. You being a panthers fan makes you a hypocrite as your earlier post criticized Leaf fans for talking about a player not on their team. I know you cautioned me about how your lack of knowledge hurts you, but surly you can remember your own post. For the umpteenth time I think Laine is a very good player. I'd sure like him on my team.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Your lack of knowledge and understanding hurts me too. Read your own posts, learn something, gain some knowledge so your ignorance won't hurt you anymore. A least you cried out for help that is a good thing and credit to you. On topic it is the Leaf fans who are supporting Laine. He is a great player he might be the second best player taken in his draft year. If that isn't high enough praise for you, tell me what is and I'll use it. You being a panthers fan makes you a hypocrite as your earlier post criticized Leaf fans for talking about a player not on their team. I know you cautioned me about how your lack of knowledge hurts you, but surly you can remember your own post. For the umpteenth time I think Laine is a very good player. I'd sure like him on my team.
Wow another leaf fan trolling a Laine thread trying to convince people laine isn't the best player picked in his draft year. Very insecure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad