Post-Game Talk: Laffs 4- Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I hope we aren't levelling off, because as fantastic as our team defence, 5 on 5 play, consistency and work ethic has been, I find sometimes these characteristics have a natural ceiling that can take you only so far, even if that is pretty far.

Lowry and Names have all of the aforementioned characteristics in spades but at the end of the day they are not top 6 centres. Tampa had Point and Stamkos. Things will improve greatly when Schief returns but clearly we need another centre, and quite a good one to go deep in the playoffs.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I wish I bookmarked more of those "get rid of scheifele," or "we'd be fine without scheifele" posts in the off season.
You're welcome to search for mine, but I think all you'll find is if Scheifele was gone we were going full rebuild. I'll confess to thinking it wouldn't be that awful, but I do doubt that would be correct, it would be awful.

Still, Scheifele's game from last year versus this year is night and day different. He was in a funk from around 2019 or so and not playing the game he was capable of. I don't know if it was the loss of Dara, the loss of Buff, Wheeler's leadership, the presence of PLD or whatever, but he had a clear aversion to defense and a 200 foot game. His 2017-18 form is back and it's a lot of fun to watch. Full credit to him, he's back in that discussion for being a top ten center in the league. He wasn't, for quite some time.

Pretty clear we are missing a legit 2C at this point, IMO. To Chevy's credit, he thought he had it with PLD. Bryan Little's injury was more devastating to this team than I think most would acknowledge.

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
You're welcome to search for mine, but I think all you'll find is if Scheifele was gone we were going full rebuild. I'll confess to thinking it wouldn't be that awful, but I do doubt that would be correct, it would be awful.

Still, Scheifele's game from last year versus this year is night and day different. He was in a funk from around 2019 or so and not playing the game he was capable of. I don't know if it was the loss of Dara, the loss of Buff, Wheeler's leadership, the presence of PLD or whatever, but he had a clear aversion to defense and a 200 foot game. His 2017-18 form is back and it's a lot of fun to watch. Full credit to him, he's back in that discussion for being a top ten center in the league. He wasn't, for quite some time.

Pretty clear we are missing a legit 2C at this point, IMO. To Chevy's credit, he thought he had it with PLD. Bryan Little's injury was more devastating to this team than I think most would acknowledge.
Teams that chose full rebuild have trouble ever getting out of the rebuild . Players don’t want to be there. Chevy hit it out of the park with the signings of chef and helly. If only dubois could have gone to vegas and infected them instead, that would have been even great. F vegas

Iaffalo sure seems like his offensive numbers from the earlier part of the season were helped greatly by Scheifele and KFC and while he plays well defensively long term as a UFA and depending on his ask I don't see him here next year.
It seems the whole team just stopped scoring.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Iaffalo sure seems like his offensive numbers from the earlier part of the season were helped greatly by Scheifele and KFC and while he plays well defensively long term as a UFA and depending on his ask I don't see him here next year.
I want him gone at the deadline in a trade. He just does not fit the Jets at all, past few months I am legitimately shocked that this guy was a consistent ~45 point in 82 game pace player for the kings. He just doesn't seem to have the hands to make plays to extend offensive zone time, I don't even care about points, at 4 million a year there should be some generation of chances even if you are not scoring. Not saying he's a bad player but he just doesn't fit the Jets offensively and at his caphit you gotta be putting up~40 points or driving some decent offense to be worth it for how this team is constructed.

Many here don't want to admit it because they want the PLD trade to be this perfect thing that we "won". We may have come out well out of that trade even if Iafallo is not a fit. Just compare the stick Appleton takes around here when he has goes a few games without a point. If Appleton had the the run that Iafallo has been on... you'd read nothing but Appleton bashing on these boards (and we were almost at that point before his recent scoring run).

Is @sipowicz even aware Iafallo is on this team? #9 is a prime candidate to benefit from some Sip motivation.

Last edited:

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
Yah I'm tapping out... season two of Slow horses i think
Ha! Coincidentally, I logged out after the 3rd Leafs goal to watch some Slow Horses with the missus. We're on season two as well, enjoying it thus far. Gary Oldman is worth the price of admission alone.

On the hockey game, I thought the opening period was fine save for the last couple of minutes. Jets were hitting, got the first goal, felt like they were playing with energy and getting chances. Was enjoying the watch. The last minute goal from Reeves brought the contest back down to earth. It would be fair to say the Jets were fortunate not to have given up 2.

The second onwards wasn't pretty. I still have faith in this team and view them as a different entity than last year, but they're in a slump. Injuries to key players hasn't helped, neither has our issues on special teams. I've been trusting the coaching staff to tune them up, specifically the PP, but it's getting silly now. Feels like eons since our last goal with the man advantage and it's costing the team during this prickly patch. The 5v5 play has been remarkable and is testament to where the Jets sit in the standings. However, sometimes good form can dip, like it is now, and you just need a goal to spark a bit of life into the team. The best way to do that is bang one in on the power play.

There are smarter minds than me on here who might offer a solution. More importantly, the fellas who get paid top dollar to implement these systems would do well to figure it out, and soon. It's become inexcusable. The frustration towards this aspect of their game is justified. There doesn't seem to be enough ingenuity by the coaching staff to rectify the problem.

Very disappointed we couldn't take the win against the jokers from Toronto in front of all their "fans". 3 straight losses before the All-Star game isn't the best for morale.

On the bright side, the Jets go into a much needed break. Here's hoping the time off will give the team a chance to get operations back on track. Banged up players can use it to heal. Personally, out of the L's to Boston and Toronto, only tonight's was disappointing because of the way the Jets played. The Jets are still a good team and some folks could stand to have a bit more optimism. I'd be shocked if the same catastrophic plummet that dismantled last years campaign befalls these Jets. Clubs have bumps during a season but that can be a blessing if they learn to sort out the shite and fix the issues. You don't have to be a perfect team to win the Stanley Cup. You need to make the playoffs, have guts, get depth scoring, solid goaltending, a little bit of luck and play out of an American city. I know the Jets can do 5 outta 6 of those things, and that ain't bad.

I also trust Chevy enough to bring in a piece or two to help raise the levels. So let's enjoy a breather and pick the spirits up for February.

(Really is disgusting seeing a majority of Leafs fans in the Winnipeg stands. I don't begrudge people who need to make money by selling their tickets on a premium. It would be nice to change some of the culture surrounding home games though. Jets fans in attendance need to bring a bit more passion and irritability into match ups like this)

Last edited:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights

We need to get over Bryan Little as an excuse for the jets. He was a marginal second line centre in the years leading up to his career-ending injury 4 years ago. If he was a great second line centre the Jets would have never gone after Stastny in 2017/18 to have a legit top-6 centre.

If Little didn't have his career ended, he would have likely continued to put up middling 40 point seasons for a couple seasons if we were lucky and then eventually decline into a bottom-6 player as early as 2 - 3 years ago. Probably be retired by this point without injuries.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
They really have to enact a policy to allow no ticket resales for Leafs games... yes STHs who re-sell their tickets for these games for a profit will complain but it's one game a year... they'll get over it.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

It was not the rebuild people (trading him if going for a rebuild is pretty normal)... there were many here and in the media who wanted Scheifele gone and for the Jets to "build around PLD" with no intention of tanking or rebuilding.

Reactions: DRW204

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I was at the game tonite and it was difficult to hear Leaf fans cheering as loudly as Jets fans after score. I suspect plenty of Jet fans sold their seats for the $$$, but it is what it is.
Not to mention asshole Leaf fan in front of me standing up and taunting Jets fans after every Leaf goal. I reminded him of the inevitable 1st round failure that will occur in April.
See that's why i hope Toronto never wins shit, they have some terrible, terrible fans. I've seen the Jets play in other cities and would never dream of doing that, sure cheer for your team but taunting home fans is just awful. This has to show Chevy we need another good center, no Scheifele has such a cascading effect down the lineup that it effects every other line too much. I really hope Chevy gets a good center and maybe even before the deadline. The PP has to be completely torn apart and have someone else coaching it. Still a great season and with a couple of tweaks it could be even better. :nod:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Really wanted to watch this one but couldn’t stay awake until 2 am to watch it.
However, watching the highlights I’d swear that this game was held in Toronto.
That Leaf cheering looked ridiculous.

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
Only took 3 losses for the Doom and Gloom to come out.
It isn’t just the three losses. It’s how they played leading up to these losses. You could see this coming. It was a big test of team backbone when adversity came knocking, and they completely failed the test.

I hope I’m wrong, but I’m expecting serious regression after the break. There is a fundamental flaw in this team when it comes to mental toughness. Which this time of year brings.

Disappointing, but it looks like reality.

Reactions: johnnyonthspot

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
Thankfully the jets are on their break. Couldnt have come at a better time.

Jets need Scheifele back.

Not sure if he can. But Chevy needs to find scoring by the deadline.

Reactions: Jets 31

Walkingtalkingeye

Mar 28, 2012
They really have to enact a policy to allow no ticket resales for Leafs games... yes STHs who re-sell their tickets for these games for a profit will complain but it's one game a year... they'll get over it.
Absolutely not. I was confused as to why there were so many Leaf fans but I don't actually give a shit. What does it matter what team the fans in the stands are cheering for?

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Calm down people. 55 will return, Chevy will add and this team is built for and adopted a playoff style. And the pp has nowhere to go but up.
The building was full, some hotels were likely as well, and some locals cashed in for one night and can spend that money in Winnipeg.
Ever been to Minnesota or Seattle for a Jays game on a long weekend? It’s sports. It’s fun.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
We need to get over Bryan Little as an excuse for the jets. He was a marginal second line centre in the years leading up to his career-ending injury 4 years ago. If he was a great second line centre the Jets would have never gone after Stastny in 2017/18 to have a legit top-6 centre.

If Little didn't have his career ended, he would have likely continued to put up middling 40 point seasons for a couple seasons if we were lucky and then eventually decline into a bottom-6 player as early as 2 - 3 years ago. Probably be retired by this point without injuries.
Yeah not sure what little has to do with it. When scheifele got hurt in 17-18 little didn't play 1C, Wheeler did. Everyone is moving up right now and they're not fit for their spots. Lowry at 3c is solid but isn't a 2C. Same with namestnikov moving up.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

No technical fix for this one, Jets fans that are in the building need to step up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad