Post-Game Talk: Laffs 4- Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
Well, that certainly was a ham-and-egger of a night/2 games series. Hopefully we get back on the trolley after the break and continue our earlier success of 23 ski-doo-ing the opposition.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I thought Connor was pretty good tbh, but yeah, not nearly good enough. Leafs wanted it more and it showed
I have a hard time getting excited by Connor when he’s not putting up points. His two way game is better, but, a team needing goals needs Connor to score.

Reactions: FFHockey

Walkingtalkingeye

Mar 28, 2012
I'm new to this board so I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death already but anyway, why, why, WHY would someone born and raised in Manitoba be a Leafs fan? We're already the smallest building in the smallest market, the Jets need as many NHL fans as possible in their building. I just can't comprehend it, honestly.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I'm new to this board so I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death already but anyway, why, why, WHY would someone born and raised in Manitoba be a Leafs fan? We're already the smallest building in the smallest market, the Jets need as many NHL fans as possible in their building. I just can't comprehend it, honestly.

From what I understand it goes back to an era where a good chunk of the population only had 2-3 channels available and so 1/3 of those was CBC. And CBC always had the Leafs games on above all other teams in predominantly English speaking areas of the country. Some of the younger fans inherited their fandom from parents and grandparents that were Leafs fans as a result of that era where the Leafs were the only team to watch.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
From what I understand it goes back to an era where a good chunk of the population only had 2-3 channels available and so 1/3 of those was CBC. And CBC always had the Leafs games on above all other teams in predominantly English speaking areas of the country. Some of the younger fans inherited their fandom from parents and grandparents that were Leafs fans as a result of that era where the Leafs were the only team to watch.
and it's where the history of brainwashing began

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I'd say this is pretty accurate, but those of us that grew up with the 2-3 channels are getting up there in years at this point. Leafs were definitely it and my dad was a big fan. There are pictures out there with me in a Leafs jersey, much to my dismay. Not sure if it's better or not, but also pictures of me in a Habs jersey, Bruins jersey, Buffalo jersey and a North Stars jersey (really cute redhead was responsible for that and I have no regrets).

I still find the number of Leafs fans disturbing at the Jets home games against them. I've been to a few in the last 13 years but won't pick them any longer, because I'd just contribute to the problem by selling my seats.

One of my best childhood memories was of my mom (I'm quite certain my dad was watching the game anyway) leaving the TV turned on so I could hear the three stars announcement from my bed. No quarter was given on staying up past my bedtime but Saturday nights I was allowed to listen. :)

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I agree with you. We don't have much to cheer for in this province. You'd think having an NHL team would be a bigger source of pride than whatever teams pajamas you wore growing up.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Family influences probably. When I was Leafs fan before the Jets returned it was because they were a team I could follow as a kid every week when games weren't on very much.

Reactions: Ponds

AussieBomberJet

Dec 28, 2017
Northern Beaches, Queensland
I agree with you. We don't have much to cheer for in this province.
Now this isn't true and we both know it. Unless you mean professional sports teams, and if you definition of sports teams includes Yankee leagues like NFL, NBA and MLB, then that means every city and province in this country outside of Toronto doesn't have much to cheer for. Surely you can't mean that.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
It's hip and cool to cheer for Canada's biggest market for a team that won Stanley Cups in the 6 team era.
I do truly hope they don't win during my lifetime (and I also hope I have substantial lifetime left as yet). I never get tired of "1967" in reply to Leafs fans. That's a VERY long time ago. And yes, the Jets have won precisely squat. As have the Leafs in the same time frame.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
8du6yd.jpg

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I do truly hope they don't win during my lifetime (and I also hope I have substantial lifetime left as yet). I never get tired of "1967" in reply to Leafs fans. That's a VERY long time ago. And yes, the Jets have won precisely squat. As have the Leafs in the same time frame.
I saw nothing in the 2 games that scream out Stanley Cup winner, they have some real good even great players who have the stigma of disappearing in the playoffs

Reactions: RabidOne and Ponds

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Y’all need to go ahead and buy tickets to the Leafs game next year. That was painful to watch with all those Loser fans.
I was at the game tonite and it was difficult to hear Leaf fans cheering as loudly as Jets fans after score. I suspect plenty of Jet fans sold their seats for the $$$, but it is what it is.
Not to mention asshole Leaf fan in front of me standing up and taunting Jets fans after every Leaf goal. I reminded him of the inevitable 1st round failure that will occur in April.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad