Post-Game Talk: Laffs 4- Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
They really have to enact a policy to allow no ticket resales for Leafs games... yes STHs who re-sell their tickets for these games for a profit will complain but it's one game a year... they'll get over it.

Go ahead... But you would find out that a good portion of your STH base are still Leaf fans and are going to cheer for the Leafs.

To me, the one game of angst by having all those Leaf fans in the home rink, is offset by the joy of watching them bow out of the playoffs every season.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
perfetti is a ~50 pt fwd in his 3rd year. hb focus on KC a perennial PPG guy. where's his scoring been? when scheifele is out over the years (reg. season or POs) i haven't seen him step-up. or the vaunted depth acquired from the PLD trade so far.

it's clear when scheifele is in, everyone falls into their spots and plays their role and do it fine. he's the "pace-setter" for the fwd depth.
KC needs 55 - no doubt about that and it's not all that surprising that a high skill winger who's more of a finisher than anything, needs a high skilled center.
This point has been covered by many - many many times and it is what it is. I agree that we don't have anyone to fill that role when 55 goes down - but the org must see that since we've seen the results without 55 several times over a few seasons.

It looks to me like we are built around primarily a defensive system that relies heavily on one solid center.
PLD was supposed to address that issue but that didn't work out - and unfortunately, the trade didn't return a 2C.
Looks like plan B was to let Bones drive his defensive game and hope we don't lose 55 for an extended period.

I still think we have been very unlucky lately - we are getting our chances and they are not going in - and that might be making this look worse than it is.
But we still need 55 to drive our top line, but our lack of scoring recently looks to be about more than just the loss of 55 - he's just the obvious cause.
I also agree that the blender doesn't help matters - we're moving the guys around a lot trying to find the magic formula and that has to be part of the problem - chemistry is out the window.

It'll be interesting to see what Chevy concludes from all this - does he go after a 2c (at whatever cost - assuming availability) - or does he hold his nose and stick to the plan while waiting for his C to return. It won't surprise me if it's the later based on how this team has be constructed.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
KC needs 55 - no doubt about that and it's not all that surprising that a high skill winger who's more of a finisher than anything, needs a high skilled center.
This point has been covered by many - many many times and it is what it is. I agree that we don't have anyone to fill that role when 55 goes down - but the org must see that since we've seen the results without 55 several times over a few seasons.

It looks to me like we are built around primarily a defensive system that relies heavily on one solid center.
PLD was supposed to address that issue but that didn't work out - and unfortunately, the trade didn't return a 2C.
Looks like plan B was to let Bones drive his defensive game and hope we don't lose 55 for an extended period.

I still think we have been very unlucky lately - we are getting our chances and they are not going in - and that might be making this look worse than it is.
But we still need 55 to drive our top line, but our lack of scoring recently looks to be about more than just the loss of 55 - he's just the obvious cause.
I also agree that the blender doesn't help matters - we're moving the guys around a lot trying to find the magic formula and that has to be part of the problem - chemistry is out the window.

It'll be interesting to see what Chevy concludes from all this - does he go after a 2c (at whatever cost - assuming availability) - or does he hold his nose and stick to the plan while waiting for his C to return. It won't surprise me if it's the later based on how this team has be constructed.
ok sure KC needs 55. now do you think it's fair to start putting the onus on Perfetti as the OP did?

KC player is doing what to mitigate some of the loss? they all need to step up at the end of the day, however the 3rd year ~0.6PPG guy is getting the primary focus vs the 8th year ~PPG player is a bit unfair.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
ok sure KC needs 55. now do you think it's fair to start putting the onus on Perfetti as the OP did?

KC player is doing what to mitigate some of the loss? they all need to step up at the end of the day, however the 3rd year ~0.6PPG guy is getting the primary focus vs the 8th year ~PPG player is a bit unfair.
Totally, and on top of that 27 and 13 each have only 2 points in their last five games. It would be nice if they stepped up as well. They got first line minutes and first line pp lately and have been invisible as well their last 5 games.

Reactions: hn777 and sipowicz

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

I thought ehlers would be able to set kc up and get the most out of him from the wing position. Did not work out that way.

Reactions: Jet

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
last year through 47gp they were 2% less in xGF share - is that the line unsustainable vs not? this year they're higher in PDO by 2% which a stat folks on here LOVE to associate w/ nOt SuStAiNaBlE,

I'm not familiar with PDO enough to comment. I know last year they seemed to be winning games they shouldn't because Hellebuyck bailed them out and when he took a nosedive the team did too. Actually, come to think of it, I recall last year the Jets losing a lot of games they should've probably won because 37 wasn't great.

Regardless, the people in the hockey stats world I like to read seem to believe this Jets team is legit while the team last year was riding insane luck. Guess I'm deferring to them.

Reactions: Buffdog

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
The poster who said I should give my head a shake

Well that would be me. Tired of the sky is falling crowd posts after a mere two losses to the team I despise most. And the sea of Leaf jerseys cheering them on was also hard to watch. I'd be doubling the beer price for anyone in a Leaf jersey.

So was about to post a rebuttal on how good this team really is but I see that #gojetsgo already did a nice job of that in his post #201 quoting the well respected Garret. So I'll leave it at that and try to stay out of here after losses.

Last edited:

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Obviously the Jets miss Scheifele but its not like the Jets aren't getting their chances.
The puck is just not going in for them unless your name is Appleton.
Crazy how he is the leading goal scorer with 3 for the Jets without Scheifele in the lineup ... he has 33% of the Jets goals in 6 games.
The number #1 problem is the PP ... it truly is pathetic. They are looking for the perfect shot and all they have to do is shoot the puck at the net instead of making 10 passes. If they shot the puck 10 times at the net one of them is bound to go in.
Bones explanation for the bad PP is because they keep losing the faceoffs and have to chase the puck so who knows maybe thats why they don't want to shoot the puck right away.
Anyways every team has mini slumps so I'm not worried the Jets still went 8-3-1 for January ... enjoy the break everyone.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

No, the onus is not on Perfetti - I skipped that part of your post because it simply isn't even a consideration.

KC is working hard out there - I don't see him checking out because 55 isn't on the ice.
Based on his limited ability to drive a line or create much off the rush (w/o Mark), what do you want him to do?
Do you think the effort is missing? He scores goals with the help of a good playmaker who is also a distraction when they are both out there - they both benefit from being hard to handle "as a pair".

I get it - your post is more about Perfetti and how unfair it is to expect him to fill 55's shoes - I agree.

Reactions: kanadalainen
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I agree with you. We don't have much to cheer for in this province. You'd think having an NHL team would be a bigger source of pride than whatever teams pajamas you wore growing up.
When the doors opened at 5pm, easily half the crowd coming in were in Leafs jerseys, many in line from as early as 415. The Shark Club was almost entirely Leafs jerseys before and after the game.

I haven’t had the chance to watch the telecast yet, but inside it looked like a Toronto home game. Jets fans lost the “Go Jets Go” vs “Go Leafs Go” every time that battle started.

With that said Jets fans were significantly louder during goal celebrations. I’d suggest many of those in Leafs jerseys were actually supporting our home team but clearly have a love for the Leafs as well. Quite a few regulars I see at every game changed colours last night.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Jets 31

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
No, the onus is not on Perfetti - I skipped that part of your post because it simply isn't even a consideration.

KC is working hard out there - I don't see him checking out because 55 isn't on the ice.
Based on his limited ability to drive a line or create much off the rush (w/o Mark), what do you want him to do?
Do you think the effort is missing? He scores goals with the help of a good playmaker who is also a distraction when they are both out there - they both benefit from being hard to handle "as a pair".

I get it - your post is more about Perfetti and how unfair it is to expect him to fill 55's shoes - I agree.
Not sure how it's not a consideration when it's in majority of the post I am responding to

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I’d put little stock in what comes off that page. Of all the Facebook

When the doors opened at 5pm, easily half the crowd coming in were in Leafs jerseys, many in line from as early as 415. The Shark Club was almost entirely Leafs jerseys before and after the game.

I haven’t had the chance to watch the telecast yet, but inside it looked like a Toronto home game. Jets fans list the “Go Jets Go” vs “Go Leafs Go” every time that battle started.

With that said Jets fans were significantly louder during goal celebrations. I’d suggest many of those in Leafs jerseys were actually supporting our home team but clearly have a love for the Leafs as well. Quite a few regulars I see at every game changed colours last night.
Bones said it was his back in the post game media scrum.

Reactions: kanadalainen

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Many in my circle are Jets fans have multiple jerseys some even have Jets plates on their vehicles but when the Leafs come to town that all gets pushed aside. Suffice to say answered no calls or texts today as in the past it has lead to some real bad arguments. In the end most are long time friends and they will continue to be but the are and will always be Fake Jets fans.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

It’s unfair to expect perfetti to fill schief’s shoes and kc isn’t producing, but, neither is Ehlers or volare.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Go ahead... But you would find out that a good portion of your STH base are still Leaf fans and are going to cheer for the Leafs.

To me, the one game of angst by having all those Leaf fans in the home rink, is offset by the joy of watching them bow out of the playoffs every season.
Yes that one day in late April is always such a special day. I think I will have a bottle of Champaign chilled and ready for that day. F*** I hate the Leafs.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Many in my circle are Jets fans have multiple jerseys some even have Jets plates on their vehicles but when the Leafs come to town that all gets pushed aside. Suffice to say answered no calls or texts today as in the past it has lead to some real bad arguments. In the end most are long time friends and they will continue to be but the are and will always be Fake Jets fans.
Unless you have lots of senior friends or friends from Ontario I don't understand why so many are Leaf fans. I can see if they won the Stanley Cup or have gone to the finals a few times but its been 57 years since they won anything and there's 31 other teams so basically every region is covered why the fascination with a team that hasn't won anything.
Do they actually believe the Toronto media saying that the Leafs are winning the Cup at the start of every season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad