Confirmed with Link: LA Kings @LAKings Welcome to Los Angeles, Phillip Danault!

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Danault is definitely Blake's best UFA signing so far. The only thing I was concerned about with Blake and Co. was their ability to find driven leaders and that is exactly what this guy is. I am really enjoying how infectious his positive personality has become for this team. Other players have definitely noticed. It is a joy to watch PD and AI play together.

Former Canadien Danault feeling happy and appreciated with Kings

Pro level probably. Advocated to get some new leadership on the team and we see what it brings... right. Arvy, Edler are not bad either.
But I said this before, Blake found some gems in the NCAA. AI, Walker, Lizotte, Petersen that folks forget and I am no big fan of Blake but I give him his dues on good signings.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Pro level probably. Advocated to get some new leadership on the team and we see what it brings... right. Arvy, Edler are not bad either.
But I said this before, Blake found some gems in the NCAA. AI, Walker, Lizotte, Petersen that folks forget and I am no big fan of Blake but I give him his dues on good signings.

Gotta love a big bag of somethings for nothing. We also got our new vets for almost nothing too.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Danault is definitely Blake's best UFA signing so far. The only thing I was concerned about with Blake and Co. was their ability to find driven leaders and that is exactly what this guy is. I am really enjoying how infectious his positive personality has become for this team. Other players have definitely noticed. It is a joy to watch PD and AI play together.

Former Canadien Danault feeling happy and appreciated with Kings

If I heard right, I think there's a HFB main board thread on it, Phil turned down 5m for 6 years a year ago from Bergevin and instead got 5.5m for 6y from Blake eventually. He bet on himself.

**After reading the article, looks like that's the first thing mentioned.**

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Not a Blake fan but was fully onboard with everything this off-season except the Petersen contract but that was kind of a it-is-what-it-is type thing. The Kovy signing was an amateur level, no GM experience type signing while the moves this off-season involved immediate results but also with an eye on the future and development.

That said, I've always said you have to give credit to Blake for actually being the GM when they signed Iafallo but he was being courted and scouted throughout Lombardi's final year so he didn't "find a gem" in this scenario. He also didn't find Petersen since he was actually drafted by Buffalo and simply chose not to sign with them. Give him Lizotte and Walker though with the latter definitely being a Bowling Green connection.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Man do the Habs miss him, regardless of what some say on these boards. Imagine being the Kings right now without Danault. Not the same team at all.

PD ditched the Hab-nots for a measly $500K a year for the next 6 years. Clearly, he no longer wanted to be there.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I have a soft spot for another FA signing: Michael Handzus. He was what the team needed when he was signed and reminds me of Danault in his role.

Was gonna bring this one up, they've had a number of guys in the last almost 15 years who fit the mold, not flashy, but the kind of guys you need to win.

If the Habs don't go on their run, Danault is one of those rather than the high-profile FA he became.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
So, what do you all think about Phil? Was some new leadership needed on this team or what. I can't picture this team without him in the lineup. I think he fits our team to a tee. Such a smart player that knows his limits and the game so well. 19 pts in 34 games puts him at a 45pt pace. I see some room for improvement with better scoring wingers on his line, so maybe the best is still to come.

I say he is having a great impact as a first year Kings player. Hope he stays heathy and keeps it up.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So, what do you all think about Phil? Was some new leadership needed on this team or what. I can't picture this team without him in the lineup. I think he fits our team to a tee. Such a smart player that knows his limits and the game so well. 19 pts in 34 games puts him at a 45pt pace. I see some room for improvement with better scoring wingers on his line, so maybe the best is still to come.

I say he is having a great impact as a first year Kings player. Hope he stays heathy and keeps it up.

I agree. The team is better with him.

My only wish is they would have reduced Kopitar's minutes, but I won't hold that against him.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
He's made a huge difference. Brings stability and a defensive mindset that we sorely lacked. Glad we got him signed for a few years.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Yeah, remember when we thought Danault would help Kopitar's minutes? Hilarious.

I don't have faith that if Kopi's game continues to slip that TMc won't remove him off the first line until he reaches current Brown level of effectiveness. Even then, I don't believe this current leadership will do anything until Kopi's contract expires. I fully expect QB to be top 6 capable in the next 12 months.

Mats26

Sep 16, 2005
I don't have faith that if Kopi's game continues to slip that TMc won't remove him off the first line until he reaches current Brown level of effectiveness. Even then, I don't believe this current leadership will do anything until Kopi's contract expires. I fully expect QB to be top 6 capable in the next 12 months.

Agreed but QB is still only 19. Turning 20 in August. He should of been in the OHL tearing it up last year if it wasn't for the COVID + rule change for AHL exemption for under 20 years of age players. So far his transition to the pros is fine, if he can handle more minutes in the AHL this year and produce we can see him called up down the stretch. Not sure when he can take over top 6 but my feeling is he needs 2 solid years of NHL/Pro experience. The injury and his bout with COVID didn't help him this year either. Kid needs to play some games.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Agreed but QB is still only 19. Turning 20 in August. He should of been in the OHL tearing it up last year if it wasn't for the COVID + rule change for AHL exemption for under 20 years of age players. So far his transition to the pros is fine, if he can handle more minutes in the AHL this year and produce we can see him called up down the stretch. Not sure when he can take over top 6 but my feeling is he needs 2 solid years of NHL/Pro experience. The injury and his bout with COVID didn't help him this year either. Kid needs to play some games.

Honestly, the last 2 seasons, in particularly last season and the last half of the 2019/2020 season f'd these kids. Some haven't missed a beat, others have had issues. I bet we see a few "late bloomers" from the last 2 draft classes. That being said, I'd be 100% fine with QB anchoring a 3rd line next season that actually has skill on it, i.e. Vilardi on his wing with another high motor guy like Moore or Turcotte that is a scoring line, not a checking line. Let's just hope that QB gets 30+ NHL games in this season IMO.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018

I voted with my wallet - I bought a Danault new alt jersey :) his work ethic is incredible, and I love a guy that brightens the locker room with his positive energy but flips the switch on the ice and is one tough MFer against the other team (but keeps it clean too). He’s like an encyclopedic definition of “hockey player”.

For me, his venn diagram of former Kings comparables is something between Richards, Laperriere and Belanger.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
He's a main reason the Kings are in a playoff spot. So weird that 3 of my favorites on the team this year: Danault, Lemieux and Durzi....Danault signing was met with a lot of "wow, those dollars and years, for a third line center?" and Lemieux was not penciled in on most lineups, anyone was making in the off-season...and Durzi ranked 20th in our own poll of prospects, just 4 months ago! Nutts. Danault is not a 3rd line center.

I broke this thread and recall looking over the site, to see if anyone posted it first... Peter James Bond II, Jul 28, 2021 and it was announced on other sites. It took us all by surprise.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
Posting Danault's card for the non-Athletic subscribing peeps

Screen-Shot-2022-01-10-at-5.37.26-PM.png

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
He's a main reason the Kings are in a playoff spot. So weird that 3 of my favorites on the team this year: Danault, Lemieux and Durzi....Danault signing was met with a lot of "wow, those dollars and years, for a third line center?" and Lemieux was not penciled in on most lineups, anyone was making in the off-season...and Durzi ranked 20th in our own poll of prospects, just 4 months ago! Nutts. Danault is not a 3rd line center.

I broke this thread and recall looking over the site, to see if anyone posted it first... Peter James Bond II, Jul 28, 2021 and it was announced on other sites. It took us all by surprise.
It’s weird how you’re always quoting yourself.
“Everyone stop and look! I was right about something!”.

It’s just odd.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
PD ditched the Hab-nots for a measly $500K a year for the next 6 years. Clearly, he no longer wanted to be there.

With Price and Weber likely out long term, can you really blame him for thinking last season was likely his best shot with the Habs?

LA may not be ready this year and we have some complaints, and criticisms, but LA's six-year outlook is so much better than Montreal right now. Danault will settle into our third line center role when Byfield matures and that Byfield - Kopitar - Danault combo could be one of the best in the league in two or three years.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County

It’s weird how you’re always quoting yourself.
“Everyone stop and look! I was right about something!”.

It’s just odd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad