Confirmed with Link: LA Kings @LAKings Welcome to Los Angeles, Phillip Danault!

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
With Price and Weber likely out long term, can you really blame him for thinking last season was likely his best shot with the Habs?

LA may not be ready this year and we have some complaints, and criticisms, but LA's six-year outlook is so much better than Montreal right now. Danault will settle into our third line center role when Byfield matures and that Byfield - Kopitar - Danault combo could be one of the best in the league in two or three years.
No Turcotte?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
No Turcotte?

It may eventually be the case that one of Danault or Turcotte ends up on the wing. Turcotte's game translates just as well at wing as it does at center, and eventually guys like Kopitar and Danault are going to slow down. Who knows what our roster will look like by then. For all we know, our center depth might be Byfield, Turcotte, and Thomas. The only prospect I'm convinced is a top six center right now though is Byfield.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
With Price and Weber likely out long term, can you really blame him for thinking last season was likely his best shot with the Habs?

LA may not be ready this year and we have some complaints, and criticisms, but LA's six-year outlook is so much better than Montreal right now. Danault will settle into our third line center role when Byfield matures and that Byfield - Kopitar - Danault combo could be one of the best in the league in two or three years.

I agree. Glad to have him.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Agreed but QB is still only 19. Turning 20 in August. He should of been in the OHL tearing it up last year if it wasn't for the COVID + rule change for AHL exemption for under 20 years of age players. So far his transition to the pros is fine, if he can handle more minutes in the AHL this year and produce we can see him called up down the stretch. Not sure when he can take over top 6 but my feeling is he needs 2 solid years of NHL/Pro experience. The injury and his bout with COVID didn't help him this year either. Kid needs to play some games.
Yup, the A is a developmental league. Keep them there, let them develop, then when they're on a tear you bring them up and they fit right in.

Piston

Fire Luc and Blake
Jun 14, 2006
Santa Monica/Salt Lake
Can't help but notice that everyone who plays alongside Danault suddenly gets better- exhibit 1 is Trevor Moore.

Plus PD made a really unselfish play last night- although he had a shot at the empty net, he passed off to Moore, and then he ended up scoring off Moore's rebound. This was a GREAT UFA signing.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Can't help but notice that everyone who plays alongside Danault suddenly gets better- exhibit 1 is Trevor Moore.

Plus PD made a really unselfish play last noth- although he had a shot at the empty net, he passed off to Moore, and then he ended up scoring off Moore's rebound. This was a GREAT UFA signing.
Danault played 27 shifts for 19:06 vs Seattle. That needs to happen almost every game.

No more of this crap where he plays 20 shifts for 15 minutes. When Byfield comes up again he needs to get a minute from Kopitar and Danault's time and the time of whichever center he is replacing.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole

Plus PD made a really unselfish play last noth- although he had a shot at the empty net, he passed off to Moore, and then he ended up scoring off Moore's rebound. This was a GREAT UFA signing.
Yep, I liked that line even better with AI but Moore has pretty much cemented a spot lately.

I hope AA isnt put in for Moore soon.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

He has exceeded even my highest expectations. And I f***ing love it since he's just such an easy guy to root for, too.

I mean even if it's the 'right move' for MTL it's shades of Justin Williams leaving LA.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Yep, I liked that line even better with AI but Moore has pretty much cemented a spot lately.

I hope AA isnt put in for Moore soon.

Moore had 1 goal and 1 assist in first 20 games. Since then, 16 points in 18 games. He's been lights out on line 2 with Danault and Arvidsson.

If you had to name the team MVP atm, it would have to go to Danault, as far as I would vote for (with Quick and Kempe just behind...then Kopi)
Danault makes everyone on the ice better. Is +14. He's scoring goals in tight, with pretty good hands. Great defensively, always making good plays every shift,
is the best positional player on the team - he's always either in the play, or going to where the play is going to. It's uncanny. And he's an emerging as a leader too.

Yeah, what was LA thinking signing a 3rd line center, for 5.5 and 6 years? /sarcasm

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I mean even if it's the 'right move' for MTL it's shades of Justin Williams leaving LA.
It was never the right move for Montreal, especially considering who they are keeping on their payroll instead. It was a failure to recognise who your key contributors are, plain and simple. Even for a rebuilding teams like ours, Danault would have been an invaluable buffer for our young centers. Instead, they are being pressed into roles they're not prepared for.

I'm glad you guys like Phillip. I told you you were getting a good one.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
This dude is missed in Montreal lol

Good signing on the King's part of thing. Hope he has success with you, he deserves it

22 points in 41 games, on pace to smash his career high in goals scored (only three away right now), and is already a fan favorite for showing some emotion and not being afraid to drop the gloves. Probably our best signing since Willie Mitchell.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
22 points in 41 games, on pace to smash his career high in goals scored (only three away right now), and is already a fan favorite for showing some emotion and not being afraid to drop the gloves. Probably our best signing since Willie Mitchell.

In Montreal, this guy was basically a 50 points Patrice Bergeron.
A beast on the red dot, a Selke caliber center without the puck, hard working too with Gallagher (and Tatar).
He just wasn't putting that much points but let's be honest, 50 points isn't bad at all.

At 5,5M/Y, it's not a good deal; it's a great deal

I'm a huge fan of the guy, and since the Habs this year are down the drain, I'm rooting for you

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
..or McDavid, Byfield, Turcotte

lol..wouldn’t that be something?

This isn't 1988. And even then, the Kings still had to give up their team leading 55 goal scorer, and 107pt C in that transaction. Today, in any possible scenario, Byfield and Turcotte would be the minimum going back to Edmonton.

RaymondReddington

Sep 21, 2020
This isn't 1988. And even then, the Kings still had to give up their team leading 55 goal scorer, and 107pt C in that transaction. Today, in any possible scenario, Byfield and Turcotte would be the minimum going back to Edmonton.
Hey, the guy wants to come to LA...who am I to stop him?
Maybe he'll marry an actress.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
In Montreal, this guy was basically a 50 points Patrice Bergeron.
A beast on the red dot, a Selke caliber center without the puck, hard working too with Gallagher (and Tatar).
He just wasn't putting that much points but let's be honest, 50 points isn't bad at all.

At 5,5M/Y, it's not a good deal; it's a great deal

I'm a huge fan of the guy, and since the Habs this year are down the drain, I'm rooting for you

He's an absolute animal around the puck. If you relax for a second he's tying you up or stealing that puck away. A better player than I thought he was and I was in favor of signing him as a UFA.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Dom's model says Danault's contributions this season are worth $7+ million on the open market. Arvidsson is producing well above his cap hit as well, and Edler was before he was hurt. Blake did a great job in UFA this past offseason.

Would love to get an update on Edler and know if he's an option if the team makes it into the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad