Confirmed with Link: LA Kings @LAKings Welcome to Los Angeles, Phillip Danault!

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Dom's model says Danault's contributions this season are worth $7+ million on the open market. Arvidsson is producing well above his cap hit as well, and Edler was before he was hurt. Blake did a great job in UFA this past offseason.

Unfortunately the value Danault contributes doesn't offset the cost of Doughty, he's currently contributing at a $2.50 level.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Phil is driving the bus right now for this team even though Kopitar gets more minutes. If Blake didnt get Danault and Arvidsson Kings would be sitting with the Kraken at the bottom of the Pacific. Wed have a better idea of where the prospects would fit in but it would be a dreadful team.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Phil is driving the bus right now for this team even though Kopitar gets more minutes. If Blake didnt get Danault and Arvidsson Kings would be sitting with the Kraken at the bottom of the Pacific. Wed have a better idea of where the prospects would fit in but it would be a dreadful team.

I don't think they would be that low, but definitely not where they are now. We saw the difference of the team when Danault wasn't there. Arvidsson was a bit snakebit at the beginning of the year, but you can tell the kind of energy plug he is to the team. Losing Edler really hurt with how well he was playing. I think other players have definitely gotten opportunities to step up and show what they can do: Lizotte, Lemieux, Durzi, etc..

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I don't think they would be that low, but definitely not where they are now. We saw the difference of the team when Danault wasn't there. Arvidsson was a bit snakebit at the beginning of the year, but you can tell the kind of energy plug he is to the team. Losing Edler really hurt with how well he was playing. I think other players have definitely gotten opportunities to step up and show what they can do: Lizotte, Lemieux, Durzi, etc..
Yea Danault and Arvidsson arent the only reason the team is playing well. Every single player is contributing right now. Those 2 just bring a competitiveness and energy that the team would not have if they werent here. Their energy changes the complexion for guys like Moore and Lizotte who can build off of it.

Yea Danault and Arvidsson arent the only reason the team is playing well. Every single player is contributing right now. Those 2 just bring a competitiveness and energy that the team would not have if they werent here. Their energy changes the complexion for guys like Moore and Lizotte who can build off of it.

Yeah they are getting scoring from players that aren't playing with Kopitar for once in a very long time.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Team was horrible 5 v. 5 so proponents of this signing--shameless back pat--are getting exactly what they expected: ~50-ish even strength points coupled with a gaudy FO % and great defense.

I know they wound up getting Eichel but imagine if Vegas popped in this guys skillset in their lineup like was rumored. Yikes.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Would love to get an update on Edler and know if he's an option if the team makes it into the playoffs.

I can't find anything more 'official' but they've mentioned on a few telecasts that they expect him back before the end of the regular season

I know I personally wrote him off as done-zo after that injury, I'm 40 and it hurt me to watch, figured that was the end of his career...but if he's gonna fight all teh way back to go out on his own terms that's f***ing awesome.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Dillman: 15 thoughts on the Kings' 'best type of trip' before the All-Star break

Danault said he has been talking a lot with Byfield. There’s few better teachers than Kopitar and Danault in helping with all the aspects of the game.

“We talk about faceoffs and players, in general,” Danault said. “What it takes to win. We talk about that, to be honest. He’s dedicated. He wants to be better and wants to help the team a lot too. I can see it. I can feel it. I think everyone sees it

“He’s going to be huge for us very soon.”

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
How can you not love this article.

Danault is now in the 20-goal group and providing leadership on and off the ice. Really, really love this signing, especially given all of the young talent coming into the system. Talk about establishing culture!

Practice 3/25 - Kopitar, Bjornfot, Lemieux Notes + Defensive Dive, Danault's leadership, Durzi Quotes - LA Kings Insider

Phileadership
I think it says a lot about a player to come in after a one-goal loss and, unprompted, take ownership for a goal allowed.

That was Phillip Danault after last night’s overtime defeat, calling the third goal his responsibility, with his man putting the puck in the net. Todd McLellan attributed the breakdown to communication between Danault and young defenseman Jordan Spence, but the veteran took responsibility when speaking to media.

That’s leadership.

“I think, first of all, when individuals do that, they’re confident,” Todd McLellan said today. “They’re willing to put themselves out there and say ‘hey, that one is on me,’ I’m going to fix it and it’s not going to happen again. Sometimes, when individuals beat around the bush, they don’t really want to own it and some of it is confidence and where you are in your game. So one, Phil is confident, he feels good and he should. Two, taking the pressure off of others, a real good sign of leadership. Three, he made amends, I thought, when he produced to at least get us a single point with two big goals.”

Defenseman Sean Durzi spoke highly of Danault’s impact the other day from a leadership department. Durzi called Danault a player who has helped him work through the grind of his first NHL season. The two players have become close here, driving to games together on most nights at home, with Danault labeling Durzi as an awesome player and a “huge” part of the team.

Durzi returned the favor this morning, speaking on the impact that a guy like Danault has on younger players here.

“Phil is a spectacular person and I can’t preach it enough how much he means to this team, not only on the ice but he’s been a great leader all year,” Durzi said today. “I think we realize how much of a big role he was for that Montreal team last year, and maybe he wasn’t on the scoresheet every night like he is now, but he does a lot for us that a lot of people don’t see, they don’t get to see what he does. He’s always underneath pucks, he’s always supporting, he’s always talking, he’s talking to guys off the ice and he’s a positive influence in the room. Can’t say enough about Phil. Great player and he’s using his experience to help drive our team.”

Adding another strong leader in Danault, to the already strong group of leaders in the room here with the Kings, has been the perfect fit. Can’t have enough of those types of players, and it’s clear that Danault has fit in that way.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
How can you not love this article.

Danault is now in the 20-goal group and providing leadership on and off the ice. Really, really love this signing, especially given all of the young talent coming into the system. Talk about establishing culture!

Practice 3/25 - Kopitar, Bjornfot, Lemieux Notes + Defensive Dive, Danault's leadership, Durzi Quotes - LA Kings Insider

Phileadership
I think it says a lot about a player to come in after a one-goal loss and, unprompted, take ownership for a goal allowed.

That was Phillip Danault after last night’s overtime defeat, calling the third goal his responsibility, with his man putting the puck in the net. Todd McLellan attributed the breakdown to communication between Danault and young defenseman Jordan Spence, but the veteran took responsibility when speaking to media.

That’s leadership.

“I think, first of all, when individuals do that, they’re confident,” Todd McLellan said today. “They’re willing to put themselves out there and say ‘hey, that one is on me,’ I’m going to fix it and it’s not going to happen again. Sometimes, when individuals beat around the bush, they don’t really want to own it and some of it is confidence and where you are in your game. So one, Phil is confident, he feels good and he should. Two, taking the pressure off of others, a real good sign of leadership. Three, he made amends, I thought, when he produced to at least get us a single point with two big goals.”

Defenseman Sean Durzi spoke highly of Danault’s impact the other day from a leadership department. Durzi called Danault a player who has helped him work through the grind of his first NHL season. The two players have become close here, driving to games together on most nights at home, with Danault labeling Durzi as an awesome player and a “huge” part of the team.

Durzi returned the favor this morning, speaking on the impact that a guy like Danault has on younger players here.

“Phil is a spectacular person and I can’t preach it enough how much he means to this team, not only on the ice but he’s been a great leader all year,” Durzi said today. “I think we realize how much of a big role he was for that Montreal team last year, and maybe he wasn’t on the scoresheet every night like he is now, but he does a lot for us that a lot of people don’t see, they don’t get to see what he does. He’s always underneath pucks, he’s always supporting, he’s always talking, he’s talking to guys off the ice and he’s a positive influence in the room. Can’t say enough about Phil. Great player and he’s using his experience to help drive our team.”

Adding another strong leader in Danault, to the already strong group of leaders in the room here with the Kings, has been the perfect fit. Can’t have enough of those types of players, and it’s clear that Danault has fit in that way.

Durzi being close to Danault and learning from is everything I wanted for both players. Both are quickly becoming my favorite Kings players. Great read.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Danault has proven to be a much better player and teammate than anybody here could have expected. Props to Luc, Blake, and TMac for pursuing and getting their UFA last summer. Now do it again this coming summer and be a team prognosticators talk about heading to next season. GKG!

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Danault has proven to be a much better player and teammate than anybody here could have expected. Props to Luc, Blake, and TMac for pursuing and getting their UFA last summer. Now do it again this coming summer and be a team prognosticators talk about heading to next season. GKG!
I don't know about that. I think some of us did expect a lot out of him.

As much as I love the player though, I still don't love this contract. Mainly because of the length. We'll see how it works out.

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
I’m sure we all expected him to score more than 13 goals. And Kings got many more positive intangibles to boot. As for his a contract, it won’t hurt the Kings in the latter years even if his production drops off so not a big deal.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
27 goals, which is almost more than his 3 previous seasons combined(30g in 205 GP). More goals than assists, which only happened one other time in his career, the 21 games he played in 15-16 after being traded to Montreal. Finished that season with 4g and 10pts though.

Had more shots than he's ever taken this year. A carer high sh%. Maybe he scores 14g next year, but how many of his goals were of the, I can't believe that just happened, variety? Some lucky bounces, some empty nets, but he wasn't scoring many Jagr vs. the Hawks in the 92 Final goals every game.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Danault is basically scoring the goals that prime Dustin Brown would score. Getting into the greasy areas and banging in rebounds and loose pucks. I bet his shot chart is mostly at the circles and lower. He's not peppering perimeter shots.

Plus has Danault ever played with two wingers with the chemistry and passing ability of Moore and Arvidsson? They just know where each other are going to be on the ice at all times. I would never have thought Danault would have more goals than assists. Those guys have set him up for some tap ins.

Last edited:

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Danault is basically scoring the goals that prime Dustin Brown would score. Getting into the greasy areas and banging in rebounds and loose pucks. I bet his shot chart is mostly at the circles and lower. He's not peppering perimeter shots.

Plus has Danault ever played with two wingers with the chemistry and passing ability of Moore and Arvidsson? They just know where each other are going to be on the ice at all times. I would never have stop Danault would have more goals than assists. Those guys have set him up for some tap ins.

That's all so true...seems he rarely misses any of those opportunities and many of them, required a decent snipe and quick hands.
True, that Phil probably never had linemates like Arvidsson and Moore...and Moore only really came on, once put on that line and has never disappointed. He had upside I never saw. I hope these 3 give the Oil fits...hoping Phil's D assignment, does not take him away from his offense...but thinking, if he's on McDavid, McDavid's line may have trouble defending the 3 of Danault, Arvidsson and Moore, honeslty. Try to get McDavid off his game, by making his line play more in his own zone. It's possible. Danault, Arvy and Moore are no slouches and so focused and determined.

I hope next season, they move on of Moore or Arvy off that line, to help a youth get going - one of Turcotte, Kupari, Chromiak? Kaliyev, Vilardi. All because the youth are not having the best of world's trying to elevate their game to the NHL, by getting 8 minutes on line 4 or a line that has good vets. Moore or Arvy will do fine if moved...but really need to get some of the youth playing with the best.

Reactions: cyclones22

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
At least the canadiens fans with a bone to pick have stopped visiting, that's my takeaway

regardless for this year this contract is absolute larceny and the culture he's establishing with the younger players ensures that when Kopitar moves on, there's still excellent leadership in place that's close with the Durzi/Byfield/etc. wave of kids. That was great foresight.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
The bonus is Danault is absolutely Captain material. He needs to be wearing an A next season. The guy's a leader out there and elevates ALL of his linemates. Will scream at the refs, crosscheck someone after the whistle and get involved in scrums. A homerun signing and finally one that I advocated for and was actually right about haha.

Edit:
Was voted team MVP, Best Newcomer and Most Inspirational. Well deserved.

Last edited:

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
MVP no brainer there...but he became this teams unofficial captain when he dropped the gloves with Larkin. Tired of this teams passiveness with our current Capt. Can't wait for him to lead this team in 2 years as our next official captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00