Trade: Kyrie Irving to Celtics for Thomas, Crowder, Zizic & pick (s) is nearly complete

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I'm not sure I'd go there, but I can see the case.

To me it's a bit of a lateral move for this year but it gives them options/assets for the future as well.

Agree. Kyrie is better than IT, and is younger with room still to improve (defense, passing). But IT is close enough for now, and Crowder is a nice addition. Plus a young C prospect and that 2018 1st.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It seems to me that Brooklyn won't be as bad as they were this past year and some other teams will be worse. I'd guess BKN ends up being around the 5th best lottery odds.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
So in one offseason the Celtics have moved on from IT, Bradley, Olynyk, and Crowder. That's a major overhaul.

The Celtics are only bringing back 4 players from last season's team ( Al Horford, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart and Terry Rozier ) that was the top seed in the East and had the 4th best record in the NBA. I honestly can't remember such a huge 1 year overhaul for a winning team in any professional NA sport. :amazed:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The Celtics are only bringing back 4 players from last season's team ( Al Horford, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart and Terry Rozier ) that was the top seed in the East and had the 4th best record in the NBA. I honestly can't remember such a huge 1 year overhaul for a winning team in any professional NA sport. :amazed:

They definitely added talent, but they've lost some toughness and team identity. Should be an interesting season, Stevens has some work to do in order to mold the all new pieces into a team.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

98 Bulls

Won 3rd straight championship. Then Jordan retired, Rodman and Pippen traded. Went 13-37 games the following season (lockout year).

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I honestly can't remember such a huge 1 year overhaul for a winning team in any professional NA sport. :amazed:

98 Bulls

Won 3rd straight championship. Then Jordan retired, Rodman and Pippen traded. Went 13-37 games the following season (lockout year).

I stand corrected.....although the Jordan retirement was not really part a team intentionally overhauling its roster.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I just thought of something crazy - what if Carl Everett was still playing for the Red Sox. Can you imagine the conversation between Everett ( Dinosaurs never existed ) and Irving ( the earth is flat ) ???? :laugh:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The cavs won this trade because Lebron is still on the team but lost if Lebron moves on. Out of both players Irving is the more valuable because he is arguably just as good on offense but can be better on D than IT. Irving's size means he can be on the floor in the final minutes defending the lead whereas IT provides no defensive upside. The Cavs are deeper now and should be able to match up better against GS. Not sure if IT remains a scoring guard if that is going to result in the cavs being better. They need a floor general more than another assassin and role players who can shoot and defend.

Most of all the Cavs need a better coach.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Few days ago it came out that Wade would join the Cavs when the Bulls inevitably buy him out. Cavs gained a little bit of cap space, enough for the vets minimum maybe a bit more.

The one thing I don't get is Kyrie wanted to be "THE guy" on a team and he won't be that in Boston with Hayward around and potentially Tatum developing into a star. In Phoenix he would have been #1 but the Cavs were insistent on Josh Jackson being in the trade and now they just helped out their rival.

You can always add a veteran minimum contract.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's always funny when a team's fans pump a guys tires for three years about how awesome he is and such a waaaaariaaaaaah and he bleeds green....oops, gave my blind item away.....and now he's average and in decline and so long, buddy.

Could not agree more.

Here's a good example

Back to the OP, this is a win-win for the Cavs. They get a similar player who can maintain the status quo of being a championship contender and get a likely lottery pick in case Lebron leaves. They also have the option of not paying IT next summer if James' leaves so they can go full tank. Crowder is a nice wing who will really help them this year and is good trade bait next summer if all goes wrong.

Random trivia - Irving (1st pick in 2011) was traded for the last pick in 2011 (IT)

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
The cavs won this trade because Lebron is still on the team but lost if Lebron moves on. Out of both players Irving is the more valuable because he is arguably just as good on offense but can be better on D than IT. Irving's size means he can be on the floor in the final minutes defending the lead whereas IT provides no defensive upside. The Cavs are deeper now and should be able to match up better against GS. Not sure if IT remains a scoring guard if that is going to result in the cavs being better. They need a floor general more than another assassin and role players who can shoot and defend.

Most of all the Cavs need a better coach.

In terms of accounting for LeBron leaving, I think this was the best they were going to do.

This draft is very top heavy, and I don't see Brooklyn improving. Adding Russell, Mozgov, Carroll, Crabbe doesn't move the needle for me, a lot of those players are negatives. Then you account for the loss of Lopez. There is a very strong possibility of getting one of the 3 elite prospects in this draft.

Phoenix was never going to give up Josh Jackson, and none of the other rumored teams had a better piece on the table than this pick, IMO. I know that they also pushed the Celtics for Tatum, so in that context Boston did well in retaining the right assets. Boston also still has that Lakers pick to work with.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That's LeBron carrying his ass for his whole career.

Sorry but LeBron doesn't win in Cleveland without Kyrie.

And did people really expect a 2nd and 3rd year Kyrie to carry a team with Luol Deng and Dion Waiters as the secondary offensive options into the postseason?

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver

And did people really expect a 2nd and 3rd year Kyrie to carry a team with Luol Deng and Dion Waiters as the secondary offensive options into the postseason?
And Kyrie goes nowhere without LeBron, lol. Until Kyrie shows he can lead a competent offense, I'll always be iffy on the guy.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

His play in G7 of the 2016 finals shows what he can do.

Now we will see how he does without the best player in the league.

Where are all those NBA armchair GMs on this site that said Ainge was afraid to pull the trigger on a big deal when he didn't get Butler or George ????

I would much rather have Butler or George than Irving, but thats just me.

Do you even watch the NBA ???? :shakehead

Irving is better..... no need to deny it.

Idk. He is the best player here now and he's the PG. I think this turns into his team no doubt.

Debatable. Its not like theres a huge gap between him and Hayward. Both are newcomers too, so its not like either has a leg up.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think that Kyrie as the 1st option in Boston will be better than IT as the 2nd option in Cleveland.

IT was basically the go-to guy for the Celtics over the last two seasons. Let's see how he does having to defer to LeBron, and potentially even having to defer to Love.

If given the choice, I'd rather have Irving on my team.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
let's see if kyrie can actually do something without lebron

i don't see it happening. cavs win this trade. they're still better than boston and that nets pick is a huge pickup

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Probably the Marlins after winning the WS in 1997, especially if you are willing to count their early 1998 season deal with the Dodgers when they traded Sheffield, Johnson, Bonilla, etc.

Obviously, that was a total firesale while this is re-shaping a roster to make it better.

The 2005 Heat made a ton of changes too from a team that lost in the ECF and they are probably the best comparable. Only 7 players remained (Shaq, Wade, Haslem and Mourning...and role/depth players like Wright, Doleac and Anderson) to start 2005-06.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad