Trade: Kyrie Irving to Celtics for Thomas, Crowder, Zizic & pick (s) is nearly complete

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I love IT, but he is not keeping LeBron in Cleveland.

Nothing is going to keep him in Cleveland. Except his trade clause which he won't waive. He is not about to be painted as the bad guy again.

Thus, kudos to Kyrie Iriving for getting out of there before LeBron sticked it to him.

Irving is a step above Thomas. I'd much rather pay him the max as well. The Brooklyn pick makes this worthwhile for Cleveland...IF they keep it

Which I assume they will. But who in the hell knows.

satbank

Jan 11, 2014
I thought it was a joke despite the source. I'm still not sure how to feel about this.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
1688-2k_nba2K18_fob_std_featured.jpg

Will they change the cover?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hmmmm. At first glance I think this is a fine deal for both sides.

There is no way I'd pay a 5'9" 29 year old, who might have a hip issue, $30M-40M/yr. Kyrie also fits the Celtics age group better and he'll still be in his prime once Tatum and Brown are entering theirs. Of course the Celtics will need to get him signed long-term for that to matter.

For the Cavs, they can still compete next season and could get a very good young player to build around with that Nets pick. Crowder should also still have decent value next summer if they want to flip him elsewhere if LeBron leaves.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Few days ago it came out that Wade would join the Cavs when the Bulls inevitably buy him out. Cavs gained a little bit of cap space, enough for the vets minimum maybe a bit more.

The one thing I don't get is Kyrie wanted to be "THE guy" on a team and he won't be that in Boston with Hayward around and potentially Tatum developing into a star. In Phoenix he would have been #1 but the Cavs were insistent on Josh Jackson being in the trade and now they just helped out their rival.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Well didn't see this coming.

Gonna be a fun battle in the East w/ Cleveland and Boston (and potentially Toronto, which will initially have better chemistry than both of their rivals)

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Few days ago it came out that Wade would join the Cavs when the Bulls inevitably buy him out. Cavs gained a little bit of cap space, enough for the vets minimum maybe a bit more.

The one thing I don't get is Kyrie wanted to be "THE guy" on a team and he won't be that in Boston with Hayward around and potentially Tatum developing into a star. In Phoenix he would have been #1 but the Cavs were insistent on Josh Jackson being in the trade and now they just helped out their rival.

Idk. He is the best player here now and he's the PG. I think this turns into his team no doubt.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
You really can't ever discredit Danny Ainge and the Celtics for never finding a way to do the things they want to do.

Where are all those NBA armchair GMs on this site that said Ainge was afraid to pull the trigger on a big deal when he didn't get Butler or George ????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad