Trade: Kyrie Irving to Celtics for Thomas, Crowder, Zizic & pick (s) is nearly complete

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Cleveland does have every right to void this. But if I'm Boston, I'll still tell them to pound sand if they want more now.

Irving isn't coming back and will only become more disgruntled. More so, it's becoming more and more evident that LeBron "I'm Home" James is bailing once again next offseason.

The value for Irving is as high as it's going to get right now. Certainly Thomas is pretty sour right now...but Boston has Fultz(and even Marcus Smart for now)to fall back on and Thomas is in the last year of his deal. As good as he has been I imagine they had no intentions of resigning him prior to the injury.

Cleveland is only right in voiding the deal if something was concealed or not disclosed about IT's health. Everyone knew about his hip injury and the deal was crafted around that knowledge.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
That's straight up extortion lol.

Thomas saw three doctors; Boston's (cleared), Cleveland (cleared), and a third party independent (cleared) doctor. All of which agree there is nothing being hidden about his injury. Cleveland is now trying to game the system like a bunch of sleazebags

**** their ******* GM and owner. You either take the deal as is or Boston tells them to hit the bricks. Can't wait to watch that franchise return to irrelevancy thanks to Gilbert.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Thomas saw three doctors; Boston's (cleared), Cleveland (cleared), and a third party independent (cleared) doctor. All of which agree there is nothing being hidden about his injury. Cleveland is now trying to game the system like a bunch of sleazebags

**** their ******* GM and owner. You either take the deal as is or Boston tells them to hit the bricks. Can't wait to watch that franchise return to irrelevancy thanks to Gilbert.

Indeed. Repulsive.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
And deal with an IT who was about to be given the "glad to see him go, lemme tell you what was wrong with him" Boston typical treatment.

I think it's more of a loss for Cleveland than it would be for Boston. Cleveland doesn't look great in this, it appears that Boston was quite transparent about where IT was in his rehab, but now Cleveland is being quite sketchy about the whole thing.

Cleveland is screwed after this year anyways. Glad to see their terrible owner and management will keep on keeping on.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Well, IT is unable to play right now and Ainge himself indicated there was a risk he wouldn't be ready for the start of the season. So IT has obviously not been medically cleared by any doctors at this time.

Even if the injury isn't hidden, it's still possible that the various doctors differ on how long his recovery timeline is and how much risk there is of a re-injury.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
If I'm Boston I think about killing the original deal. Let Cleveland hang onto an unhappy Kyrie.

if I am boston I go back to the league to penalize Cleveland and go after some draft picks of theres.

assuming there is nothing new in Thomas's medicals, this is straight up extortion by the Cav's gm, especially considering Thomas's comments about being traded.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think it's more of a loss for Cleveland than it would be for Boston. Cleveland doesn't look great in this, it appears that Boston was quite transparent about where IT was in his rehab, but now Cleveland is being quite sketchy about the whole thing.

Cleveland is screwed after this year anyways. Glad to see their terrible owner and management will keep on keeping on.

Disagree, Cavs can carry on with Irving even if he's disgruntled. He knows holding out won't help him or his situation.

Its going to be hard for IT to go back to Beantown after fans burned his jersey, the team basically showed him the door and leaked negative stories about his attitude in the locker room. (after he played his arse off while mourning his sister and playing thru his hip injury as long as possible)

Well, IT is unable to play right now and Ainge himself indicated there was a risk he wouldn't be ready for the start of the season. So IT has obviously not been medically cleared by any doctors at this time.

Even if the injury isn't hidden, it's still possible that the various doctors differ on how long his recovery timeline is and how much risk there is of a re-injury.

Ainge also said IT's hip played a part in him being included in the trade, so he can't hide from that. CLE is going all in this year and will need IT to play as many games as possible, hence their frustration.

if I am boston I go back to the league to penalize Cleveland and go after some draft picks of theres.

assuming there is nothing new in Thomas's medicals, this is straight up extortion by the Cav's gm, especially considering Thomas's comments about being traded.

I don't think the Cavs would act like this if nothing was wrong. Why risk it when the truth can easily be found out?

and a lot depends what the cavs want added. I think the Cavs are getting a pretty generous offer as it is.

They realistically just want another first round pick. Celts have plenty to give out.

If I am Boston I refuse

And if I am Irving ,, I declare I will not play for anyone else but Boston and threaten to sit out putting more pressure on Cavs

Force the Cavs into corner

Cavs can play the waiting game. LeBron and K-Love can carry them to the top of the east, especially after two of their competitors traded their star players. Kyrie holding out will just hurt him the long term and make him look extremely immature. Melo didn't hold out when he asked the Nuggets to trade him. Same with KG and the T-Wolves.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Disagree, Cavs can carry on with Irving even if he's disgruntled. He knows holding out won't help him or his situation.

Its going to be hard for IT to go back to Beantown after fans burned his jersey, the team basically showed him the door and leaked negative stories about his attitude in the locker room. (after he played his arse off while mourning his sister and playing thru his hip injury as long as possible)

Ainge also said IT's hip played a part in him being included in the trade, so he can't hide from that. CLE is going all in this year and will need IT to play as many games as possible, hence their frustration.

I don't think the Cavs would act like this if nothing was wrong. Why risk it when the truth can easily be found out?

They realistically just want another first round pick. Celts have plenty to give out.

Cavs can play the waiting game. LeBron and K-Love can carry them to the top of the east, especially after two of their competitors traded their star players. Kyrie holding out will just hurt him the long term and make him look extremely immature. Melo didn't hold out when he asked the Nuggets to trade him. Same with KG and the T-Wolves.

"They just want another first round pick - Boston has plenty to give out" - that's pretty funny

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Why? They want compensation due to the fact they will be missing a core piece for some time. Deservedly so.

The only way this makes any sense is if Boston hid the fact he had this injury. If they knew his hip was bad when they negotiated the deal and are now turning back and asking for more then that is a slimmy way to deal. I don't really like either team either lol just my opinion on it.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
it was the Cleveland docs who saw something during the physical. Maybe they saw something the Boston docs didn't. Docs will see things different on a xray, mri ect ect.
Docs see different things. this is why people see 2nd opinions because docs never agree(well almost on anything)
I have no dog in this fight at all. I really don't care what happens. But this is just the Cleveland docs seeing something different during their one on one examination with Thomas that the Boston docs saw. Or they are seeing something in a different way.
this isn't the GM, or the owner. This is the team docs relaying information up the chain.
I am sure Boston was transparent. But it still comes down to a doctors option on an examination over a player. Doctors have different opinions. I am sure there are some here who could verify that if they went to more than one doc for a medical issue.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
The Celtics should just back out of the deal. They are already offering more than the Cavs will ever get for a player that everybody knows has to be moved.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
it was the Cleveland docs who saw something during the physical. Maybe they saw something the Boston docs didn't. Docs will see things different on a xray, mri ect ect.
Docs see different things. this is why people see 2nd opinions because docs never agree(well almost on anything)
I have no dog in this fight at all. I really don't care what happens. But this is just the Cleveland docs seeing something different during their one on one examination with Thomas that the Boston docs saw. Or they are seeing something in a different way.
this isn't the GM, or the owner. This is the team docs relaying information up the chain.
I am sure Boston was transparent. But it still comes down to a doctors option on an examination over a player. Doctors have different opinions. I am sure there are some here who could verify that if they went to more than one doc for a medical issue.

This is exactly it. Obviously the Cavs knew IT had a hip issue beforehand, they just weren't sure how bad, it doesn't help that Ainge publicly said the hip issue played a factor in including IT4.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Well played by the Cavs if they get another pick. They were never getting Tatum/Brown but anything they get on top of what's already agreed upon is just a bonus.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think the Celtics can back out of the deal at this point. The Cavs wouldn't be the losers there. They'd be getting Kyrie who already wanted out in the first place and would have to find a different dance partner. They might be losers in the sense they wouldn't get as good of a deal as the one the Celtics are offering, though.

But Boston? I don't see any turning back if the deal was cancelled. IT and Crowder would both be angry with the organization, especially IT. I think he'd want out 100% if the trade was cancelled.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
From my understanding with the injury, the Cavs were unaware of the extra bump IT had in his hip, in which the Celtics did not seek to have shaved off. That surgery would have meant that Thomas would have missed 6-9 months. Instead, the Celtics elected to have him heal, while knowing the strong risk of him re-tearing the muscle. For that reason, the Cavs should be entitled to more compensation.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
From my understanding with the injury, the Cavs were unaware of the extra bump IT had in his hip, in which the Celtics did not seek to have shaved off. That surgery would have meant that Thomas would have missed 6-9 months. Instead, the Celtics elected to have him heal, while knowing the strong risk of him re-tearing the muscle. For that reason, the Cavs should be entitled to more compensation.

Regardless of that, the Celtics already paid a massive fortune. No need whatsoever to add, even a 2nd round pick. Cleveland's GM better have a target on his back going forward for the way he's carried himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad