Trade: Kyrie Irving to Celtics for Thomas, Crowder, Zizic & pick (s) is nearly complete

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Good deal for both teams. Boston gets the younger player, easier to give him a max deal. Cleveland is still a contender for a year with IT and LeBron. Good haul considering the bind they were in.

I wonder if there's a chance any of those extras can get flipped for Melo??

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Good deal for both teams. Boston gets the younger player, easier to give him a max deal. Cleveland is still a contender for a year with IT and LeBron. Good haul considering the bind they were in.

I wonder if there's a chance any of those extras can get flipped for Melo??

Pretty much this.

I'd rather have Kyrie than IT but the move is lateral enough where Cleveland is probably still a top 3 seed in the East.

Boston setting themselves up real nice for the present and future given Kyrie is only 25.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
why the hell would you trade kyrie to your biggest conference rival? so stupid

the inevitable cavs/celtics ECF just got a lot more interesting. at least we'll get one entertaining series before the winner loses to GS

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

the inevitable cavs/celtics ECF just got a lot more interesting. at least we'll get one entertaining series before the winner loses to GS

Kyrie wants out and it's probably the best offer they could get.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Probably desperation. I don't think they could have made a deal with anyone else where they got a player that makes the talent loss minimal like IT does.

All the teams that stepped up weren't willing to give up such talent (obviously because they know Cleveland's back is to the wall in this situation) so the Cavs had no choice. Not like it's gonna matter in a year anyway since the Cavs are likely going to be totally rebuilding.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006

Because they are essentially equivalent players. Cavs still crush the Celtics in the playoffs this year.

The issue is after this season if LeBron leaves. But then why would the Cavs care? They will just tank.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Considering the Celtics barely got to the conference finals after a close game 7 win over Washington, I don't know how you can say the inevitable

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Crazy if real

I kinda think Crowder will be the low-key best part of this deal for Cleveland, they really need a capable wing defender to let Lebron take some possessions off on that side of the ball, and the Celtics can hope that Brown can step up into that role

There's not really a huge difference between Irving and Thomas right now anyway, so if this happens I think the Cavs kinda come out ahead, which is miraculous considering the very public nature of Kyrie's dissatisfaction

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Seems steep with the pick, but again, I wouldn't give IT a max deal, Kyrie to me is worth it. The pick is redundant with that young core.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Casual Cavs fan, less than casual NBA fan.

Good return? Mediocre? Doesn't matter since Bron is gone in a year anyway?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You really can't ever discredit Danny Ainge and the Celtics for never finding a way to do the things they want to do.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I hate super teams and being a Raps fan is difficult sometimes, but this is a major reason i still love the NBA. This is a crazy trade. This summer has been nuts.

Love it for the Celts.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Very good with the chance to be outstanding if the pick is top 3 as the 2018 draft is said to be loaded.

Thomas is like 80 or 90% of what Irving is one could argue (some would way say it's even closer). Crowder has a fantastic contract and will help the Cavs a lot off the bench and Zizic is a good center prospect.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Tough hand to be dealt, but the inclusion of the Nets pick is potentially nice. If they figure they only have LeBron for another year, they can still be competitive with Thomas/Crowder before (possibly) going into full rebuild mode next summer.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think it's **** except if the Nets are as inept this year as they were last. Which I'm not sure they will be given how many teams in the east are going to try and tank.

I feel bad that CLE is going to have to pay IT a truckload of money next summer.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That's a great haul for Cleveland. IT is a minor step down from Kyrie and with the underrated Crowder and a likely top 5 pick added, the Cavs did as well as they could. A good chance to rebuild that franchise once LeBron leaves.

Good trade for the Celtics as well. If any team could afford to give up all those assets, it's them. If they can get Kyrie locked up, it's a real win for them.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
That's a lot to give up, but I figure the Celtics like their chances of re-signing Kyrie. That 2018 pick could be huge though, Cleveland could end up with one of Bagley/Porter/Doncic/Ayton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad