Trade: Kyrie Irving to Celtics for Thomas, Crowder, Zizic & pick (s) is nearly complete

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Forget about Cleveland using that NJ pick to start their rebuild. If anything, they might want to entice LeBron to stay by promising to trade that pick for another star if he re-signs. Say for instance, they can get Cousins for the NJ pick and salary going back, then also re-sign IT. IT and Cousins might be enough for LeBron to stick around.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Could be wrong, but I don't think that would work salary wise.

It wouldn't, even if they traded Love. IT and Cousins are in line for max contracts, anywhere between 25-40 million so they would both have to take tremendous discounts - IT already said he wants the max so I don't see him agreeing to that. LeBron would have to opt out and re-sign for a lot less too and by all indications he's only focused on money now that he's got his rings.

Forget about Cleveland using that NJ pick to start their rebuild. If anything, they might want to entice LeBron to stay by promising to trade that pick for another star if he re-signs. Say for instance, they can get Cousins for the NJ pick and salary going back, then also re-sign IT. IT and Cousins might be enough for LeBron to stick around.

Some were speculating if that pick ends up top 3, he could also be enticed to say. This draft is going to be deep and the top 3/4 players are highly regarded, LeBron might be willing to stick around and see what one of the kids can do. Say they keep IT and the draft pick is an instant star, that would give them a 4 some to compete with GS.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I can't imagine they would just void the deal unless his hip is completed F'd up.

But CLE can ask to tweak it and request for another asset from Boston if Thomas is to miss significant time in 2017-18.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Cleveland is getting an unprotected 1st from Brooklyn while getting rid of a guy who has made it clear he doesn't want to be there. If I'm Boston, I'm not adding anything to that and then look to deal Thomas to someone else if they don't want to re-sign him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Nowhere. If Cleveland decides the hip is a concern my guess is they'll renegotiate.

Agreed. Boston has already committed to Kyrie being a member of the team so I doubt they tell the Cavs to F'off.

I can't imagine they would just void the deal unless his hip is completed F'd up.

But CLE can ask to tweak it and request for another asset from Boston if Thomas is to miss significant time in 2017-18.

I imagine that's what will happen, but I heard this morning that they were still unsure on the deal.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Woj said that Thomas isn't even running yet and training camp is what 5 or 6 weeks away? Cleveland has every right to void the deal if they don't get the additions to the deal that satisfy them taking on damaged goods in Thomas. Cleveland has every right to void the deal on the failed physical. If Boston's feelings are hurt that isn't Cleveland's problem.
But I suspect they will push for added compensation since they value the Brooklyn pick higher than anything else in that trade per Woj

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Where else are they gonna trade Thomas and get a similar or better PG back?

I don't think you restrict a move to another PG. Take a pick instead if need be. Use Smart as the starting PG until Thomas gets back, and look to explore the market next summer or draft a PG. Throwing more good assets after bad is only going to make this deal worse.

What really stands out to me, if Thomas' hip worried the Celtics this much, is why they didn't draft Fultz or Ball. Did they really see Tatum being that much of a better player or weren't their concerns this serious at the time?

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I don't think you restrict a move to another PG. Take a pick instead if need be. Use Smart as the starting PG until Thomas gets back, and look to explore the market next summer or draft a PG. Throwing more good assets after bad is only going to make this deal worse.

What really stands out to me, if Thomas' hip worried the Celtics this much, is why they didn't draft Fultz or Ball. Did they really see Tatum being that much of a better player or weren't their concerns this serious at the time?

They got another (in all likelihood) high draft pick to move back. That was great asset management while getting the more NBA ready player.

I think if both teams are smart they just try to make this happen regardless of IT's health. The bridges have already been burned.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Cleveland does have every right to void this. But if I'm Boston, I'll still tell them to pound sand if they want more now.

Irving isn't coming back and will only become more disgruntled. More so, it's becoming more and more evident that LeBron "I'm Home" James is bailing once again next offseason.

The value for Irving is as high as it's going to get right now. Certainly Thomas is pretty sour right now...but Boston has Fultz(and even Marcus Smart for now)to fall back on and Thomas is in the last year of his deal. As good as he has been I imagine they had no intentions of resigning him prior to the injury.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Cleveland does have every right to void this. But if I'm Boston, I'll still tell them to pound sand if they want more now.

Irving isn't coming back and will only become more disgruntled. More so, it's becoming more and more evident that LeBron "I'm Home" James is bailing once again next offseason.

The value for Irving is as high as it's going to get right now. Certainly Thomas is pretty sour right now...but Boston has Fultz(and even Marcus Smart for now)to fall back on and Thomas is in the last year of his deal. As good as he has been I imagine they had no intentions of resigning him prior to the injury.

I'm on the opposite side of this. You're right about the Cavs and an even more disgruntled Kyrie but that was the case anyways. He was unhappy prior to this trade being agreed to and already wanted out so nothing really changes on that front. His value is still very high and there are many teams interested in him.

I think it's much worse for the Celtics if this trade somehow got voided. Thomas is reportedly upset and feels betrayed by the Celtics. Crowder was upset when the Celtics were interested in Durant and then Hayward so just imagine how he feels now. Thomas' contract and the worry about his hip also hurts his value so it's not like they can turn around and trade him for another all-star PG.

If I'm the Cavs, I'm taking the risk of potentially bringing an unhappy Kyrie back and losing that Nets pick. They'd be smart to demand more and see what the Celtics do.

(PS. Fultz is in Philly)

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
This trade better not get voided, the Irving/Hayward/Tatum Celtics are way too much fun in 2K, and I'm selfish like that

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
if boston refuses they will basically be forced to trade Thomas for cheap

Do they have to package a first plus other assets to make it happen? At some point moving Thomas on the cheap is better than packaging an ever increasing number of assets with him, even if it brings back Irving. Or just let Thomas play all year, and see if he can be re-signed later.

They got another (in all likelihood) high draft pick to move back. That was great asset management while getting the more NBA ready player.

I think if both teams are smart they just try to make this happen regardless of IT's health. The bridges have already been burned.

The Celtics got good value, but the high-end PG is looking like something of a much higher need if Thomas' hip was this much of a concern.

and a lot depends what the cavs want added. I think the Cavs are getting a pretty generous offer as it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad