Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Nurse would have to be the dumbest person in hockey to not agree to an 8 year deal at the cap hit they gave him. He knew they were overpaying and he wouldnt get a contract like this again so it makes sense why he would agree to a max deal.

Not to mention he was coming off a career year that was unlikely to be replicated.
I don't disagree with you when it comes to Nurse. But Matthews is a whole different player and person in an entirely different situation. If you gauge his career so far, he's had a few very good years, 2 lights out superstar years, and a safe-to-say "down year" that was still good. This is not counting his rookie year at all.

The problem with Matthews is entitlement, greed, and his obsession with "being the highest paid" and milking ever dollar possible from the Leafs. This is a warped mindset when you are the best player on a team that you supposedly love playing for.

Is it fair to pay Matthews just on his "down year" and very good years as it is to just pay him on his two elite years? No. There needs to be a fair compromise and meeting somewhere in between, which will still be a high-end deal for Matthews no matter what.

The problem is, he wants all the rewards in a new deal (highest AAV in history plus short-term) and he expects the Leafs to take all the risk and the hit. That's just not the way level-headed, mature players do business. This would be akin to McDavid signing 3 year deals every time so he can keep maxing out his cap % as the cap grows. Genuine superstars don't behave like this... unless they do not like their current team, city, or situation.

With Matthews, there's always been this underlying feeling of, "If he doesn't get everything he wants all the time, he's going to take his ball and bail." This is why most fans are petrified to even question or criticize him -- they are terrified their beloved superstar is going to leave. It's ridiculous. The Leafs aren't the Columbus Blue Jackets.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Comical take.
It was sarcasm. OP Is suggesting it's laughable that Matthews wants more than McDavid, meanwhile Mackinnon demanded more than McDavid but that doesn't make Mack egotistical.

We all know who the best player is between the 3 of them and it isn't remotely close. Player salaries will continue to rise as the cap does, just the way it works. Players are not going to be taking less if the cap rises 3M.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
It was sarcasm. OP Is suggesting it's laughable that Matthews wants more than McDavid, meanwhile Mackinnon demanded more than McDavid but that doesn't make Mack egotistical.

We all know who the best player is between the 3 of them and it isn't remotely close. Player salaries will continue to rise as the cap does, just the way it works. Players are not going to be taking less if the cap rises 3M.
Of course, but MacKinnon being paid league max by 100k after winning a Cup for the Avs is a whole lot different than Matthews coming over the top and demanding 1 million more than MacKinnon plus 3-4 less years of term... especially after a down year in which he scored 85 points in 75 games to MacKinnon's 111 and McDavid's 153. One of these things is not like the other.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Of course, but MacKinnon being paid league max by 100k after winning a Cup for the Avs is a whole lot different than Matthews coming over the top and demanding 1 million more than MacKinnon plus 3-4 less years of term... especially after a down year in which he scored 85 points in 75 games to MacKinnon's 111 and McDavid's 153. One of these things is not like the other.
FYI League max is 16.7 million next year, 16.5 million last year.

Reactions: TS Quint

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If Matthews becomes a free agent next year, would there be teams willing to sign him for the max? I would guess so.
Of course. Desperate teams do moronic things all the time. The Sharks were willing to pay Tavares 13 mil a year. The Flyers paid Kevil Hayes 7.5. Teams constantly overpay players, especially poorly-run, short-sighted teams who are starved for talent. But this should never be a litmus test for Auston Matthews and the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You're right, I should make my posts shorter since your reading comprehension evidently below average. You don't need to guess, just keep re-reading the post until you figure it out.

The majority of Oiler fans has not been proven correct, the data you have is just fruit of the poisonous tree. Pretty simple.

You yourself admitted more Oilers fans in that poll voted for 3 years instead of 8 for Nurse.

In what world is that not the majority to you? :laugh:

You're free to create a poll that contradicts that, but I think we both know your stance isn't true - so you won't.

Reactions: AvroArrow

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
He's worth more than Mack, less than McD. That said, I wouldn't want to be the team that pays him what he (or more rightly his agent) thinks he's worth
If he gets a 3 year $13.5m contract I don’t see any way the 8 years including those 3 Matthews won’t have a higher cap hit. He’s asking for more than McDavid not only in $ but by the % of the cap.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Mackinnon thinking he's worth more than McDavid is hilarious. What an ego.

As the salary cap goes up, so will player salaries.
MacKinnon isnt getting paid more than McDavid by market value. Matthews will make more money than McDavid AND his total cap hit for the next 8 years will also most likely higher than McDavid. No doubt it will if it’s only a 3 year contract.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If he gets a 3 year $13.5m contract I don’t see any way the 8 years including those 3 Matthews won’t have a higher cap hit. He’s asking for more than McDavid not only in $ but by the % of the cap.
The cap was 79.5M when McDavid signed, 15.7% of the cap

Matthews at 13.5M would be 16.1% of the cap

It's a small amount but regardless, absolutely no reason why he should be getting more than McDavid. Yeah the cap will rise etc etc. it's not a significant amount, but still shouldn't be asking for that much. I can live with overpaying a guy like Matthews though, he's your stud. Shitty for us fans but meh.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Nurse would have to be the dumbest person in hockey to not agree to an 8 year deal at the cap hit they gave him. He knew they were overpaying and he wouldnt get a contract like this again so it makes sense why he would agree to a max deal.

Not to mention he was coming off a career year that was unlikely to be replicated.

Nurse IS the dumbest person in hockey (behind Risto) and he still had the good sense to take that deal.

Reactions: AvroArrow

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
The cap was 79.5M when McDavid signed, 15.7% of the cap

Matthews at 13.5M would be 16.1% of the cap

It's a small amount but regardless, absolutely no reason why he should be getting more than McDavid. Yeah the cap will rise etc etc. it's not a significant amount, but still shouldn't be asking for that much. I can live with overpaying a guy like Matthews though, he's your stud. Shitty for us fans but meh.
McDavid was 16.67%

My guess is Matthews keeps the same cap hit for the next 8 years with my guess of a $3m average yearly raise in the cap would give Matthews a 17% cap hit.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
McDavid was 16.67%

My guess is Matthews keeps the same cap hit for the next 8 years with my guess of a $3m average yearly raise in the cap would give Matthews a 17% cap hit.
On what planet should the cap % measuring stick for Auston Matthews be Connor McDavid? It should be David Pastrnak, or at best, Nathan MacKinnon.

Reactions: Kerberos and JKG33

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This response still has absolutely nothing to do with the post I made.

OP I responded to said Matthews has a massive ego because he demanded more money than McDavid. I asked why doesn't Mackinnon have a massive ego then ?

Mackinnon demanded more money than McDavid, but for whatever reason Mackinnon doesn't have a big ego. Sure he won a cup, but is he better than McDavid ? How dare he ask for more than McDavid ?

Also that last bolded, that's still a pretty elite year for someone having a down year. 94 point pace. He's also a 60 goal scorer, four straight years scoring 40+ and if not for shortended seasons/missing time, he would have hit 50+ in two other years as well.

Now like I said, he shouldn't be making more than McDavid in terms of cap percentage. There is absolutely no justifying it. But just this idea that Matthews has a massive ego because he asks for more money than McDavid, but the same narrative isn't applied to other players when they do it.

When Mackinnon does it, he doesn't have a big ego, why the double standard ? Neither guy is worth more than McDavid. Winning a cup doesn't mean Mackinnon is better than McDavid and deserves higher pay, so why the double standard ? (Rhetorical, we know why there's a double standard)

Regardless, even if he signs for 13.5M we can live with it. You pay the star players, it's when you're paying depth guys ridiculous amounts that it becomes a problem. And with the cap rising it won't have as big of an impact. Obviously I'm hoping for around 13M, but extra 500K for our franchise player won't be that big of a deal.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So how come Claude Lemieux was never the highest paid player in the NHL at the time he was winning cups?

That’s the best you got?

Like Mackinnon isn’t a true superstar in the NHL who has been the far superior player in the playoffs?

But but but Matthews deserves the craziest contract in the league!!!!

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's not. Let's look at just the last 5 years. Regular season and playoffs.

Auston Matthews
Regular Season: 410 points in 337 GP = 1.2 PPG
Playoffs: 37 points in 37 GP = 1 PPG
Regular Season GPG = 0.67 (55 over 82 GP)
Playoffs GPG = 0.46 (38 over 82 GP)
Trophy Case: Calder, Hart, Rocket x2
Top-10 Hart Finishes: 3
Top-5 Hart Finishes: 2
Cups: 0
AS Games: 4
2022-23 PPG = 1.15
2021-22 PPG = 1.45
2020-21 PPG = 1.3
2019-20 PPG = 1.14
2018-19 PPG = 1
Playoff Rounds Won (last 5 years): 1

Nathan MacKinnon
Regular Season: 456 points in 335 GP = 1.4 PPG
Playoffs: 84 points in 54 GP = 1.3 PPG
Regular Season GPG = 0.52 (42 over 82 GP)
Playoffs GPG = 0.58 (47 over 82 GP)
Trophy Case: Calder
Top-10 Hart Finishes: 5
Top-5 Hart Finishes: 3
Cups: 1
AS Games: 5
2022-23 PPG = 1.6
2021-22 PPG = 1.35
2020-21 PPG = 1.35
2019-20 PPG = 1.35
2018-19 PPG = 1.2
Playoff Rounds Won (last 5 years): 7

These players are absolutely as comparable as it gets, with MacKinnon having an edge, all things considered. The only area in which Matthews is superior to MacKinnon is regular season goal scoring. In the playoffs, not only does Matthews overall points take a big dip, but his goals take a large dip. In the playoffs, MacKinnon has more goals-per-game than Matthews.

Matthews does have the edge in individual trophies, but MacKinnon edges Matthews in Top-5 Hart finishes 3 vs. 2. And, of course, MacKinnon has won the Stanley Cup. So it's not like either player is throwing out a resume like Connor McDavid.

I think it's safe to say that out of the two, Matthews is a better regular season goal scorer but MacKinnon is a better overall point producer -- in both the regular season and playoffs -- and is a better goal scorer when the games ramp up in the playoffs. MacKinnon also wins the intangibles match-up, as his fire, dedication, intensity, and leadership are levels above Matthews.

However, strip the intangibles if you like (which I personally wouldn't...) and use their productivity during the regular season and playoffs. There's no way to conclude that Auston Matthews is a better player than Nate MacKinnon. Nor does Matthews deserve more money than MacKinnon. When you factor in that MacKinnon has been a dream with contracts and has just committed to 8 years, it makes the Matthews drama even more grotesque.

All that said, due to the fact that Dubas overpaid and undertermed Matthews once already, there's no reversing course completely. Not with a selfish diva like Matthews. However, the absolute top-end measuring stick should be signing Matthews to a contract equal to Nate MacKinnon -- 12.6 x 8. That will still be 800k raise per year (on an already-inflated contract) for an 8-year commitment. Matthews has the 66 mil he already made, would make another 100 million on a 12.6 x 8 deal, then still be able to sign another 2-3 year "twilight contract" at age 35 for likely another 20-30 million, assuming the cap increases.

If $186-196+ million isn't enough money for Auston Matthews to play for the Leafs, I don't know what to tell you people lmao.

Those RFA contracts really messed up the cap structure for the Leafs.

They basically gave them the UFA contracts they should get today years ago on their RFA deals.

& nothing makes you think the Leafs duo would put the team ahead of their contract wants

Reactions: Boxscore

Picklepete

Jun 5, 2002
Tampa
Visit site
Too much $$ for one guy.
Sure take it, but have lesser players around you, reducing chances of winning !
Glad my Bolts don't have anybody over 9.5.
SPREAD the wealth.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
That’s the best you got?

Like Mackinnon isn’t a true superstar in the NHL who has been the far superior player in the playoffs?

But but but Matthews deserves the craziest contract in the league!!!!
That's the best you got?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
A lot of wasted words here. It's really difficult to make any comments on Matthews new contract when it's not even done.

My logic is sound. My contributions here are near elite. I'm pretty sure when the next elite player negotiates a new contract they will be paid higher than Matthews. Why can't you be at rest with that fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad