Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If they signed him for 8 your would probably have him for 3 more years at 12 ish million . Or 13.5 and not be crying about how you don't have any negotiating power ..

Imo if he goes 3 year or less extentions you're not winning a cup with him unless you hit on some kucherov level talent in the later rounds.

I Said would you want drai or McDavid because you Said wouldn't you want makar on his contract and no shit any sane fan wants makar on his contract .

I never said I didn't want Makar. I said I didn't want Nurse on that contract. Nurse makes more than Makar.

Matthews can leave next offseason. If he signs for 3 years or more, then the Leafs had him for 8 years post-ELC anyway - it's not a big deal unless Matthews wants out, then fans will probably be upset with Dubas for not going 8 years.

However, as we've seen, even an 8 year deal doesn't mean much if a player doesn't want to be there - Jack Eichel signed for 8 years in Buffalo and forced himself out after 3 years on the deal.

Reactions: Voight

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I never said I didn't want Makar. I said I didn't want Nurse on that contract. Nurse makes more than Makar.

Matthews can leave next offseason. If he signs for 3 years or more, then the Leafs had him for 8 years post-ELC anyway - it's not a big deal unless Matthews wants out, then fans will probably be upset with Dubas for not going 8 years.

However, as we've seen, even an 8 year deal doesn't mean much if a player doesn't want to be there - Jack Eichel signed for 8 years in Buffalo and forced himself out after 3 years on the deal.
True I doubt Toronto would refuse matthews medical treatment tho but who knows. But yes makar has a better contract than nurse. If all things were fair makar would be making the highest aav for a dman but he signed a team friendly rfa contract.

The Oilers had the option of Nurse or no nurse. They are better with nurse even if he is fun for everyone to dump on

Also if the Oilers didn't bridge nurse twice they wouldn't have this problem either

Last edited:

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Toronto is the anti-Boston when it comes to star players. Seems every guy wants to squeeze every $ possible out of the organization. Don't get me wrong it's understandable but it also feels like they're really handcuffing the team in doing this.
Most of Boston's players haven't won a Cup, and the ones that have and took a discount probably wish they hadn't considering they never won another one.

Toronto isn't winning one any time soon (although I like this current version more than the Dubas' versions), so he may as well get some money. 1-2m a year simply won't move the needle enough for this group. Too many years of bad drafting is finally catching up to them.

Imagine being Marchand, taking all those discounts, just to see the team pay Coyle 5m, Hall 6m and Forbort 3m? He took a discount so those tweeners could get overpaid. How admirable.

Reactions: Deas and Seanaconda

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Most of Boston's players haven't won a Cup, and the ones that have and took a discount probably wish they hadn't considering they never won another one.

Toronto isn't winning one any time soon (although I like this current version more than the Dubas' versions), so he may as well get some money. 1-2m a year simply won't move the needle enough for this group. Too many years of bad drafting is finally catching up to them.

Imagine being Marchand, taking all those discounts, just to see the team pay Coyle 5m, Hall 6m and Forbort 3m? He took a discount so those tweeners could get overpaid. How admirable.
So weird that he's a guy that took a discount lol just how his on ice personality doesn't match up

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
You might not, some people (like yourself) might enjoy 8 years of Darnell Nurse being paid more than Makar.

Stop trying to use your own opinion to speak for others. Should we start a poll to get some objective opinions?
False equivalency, him being paid more than Makar (First RFA cotnract signing for less years lmfao) has nothing to do with whether the Oilers want Darnell at 8 or 3 years. You probably pay more AAV over the 3 years (covid) because it's a short term contract, so that's even worse.

Additionally, 3 years of Darnell nurse at 9M+ would expire the offseason after next. I can't even imagine what we'd end up paying the guy when the cap is 88-90M in 2 years lmao. Make sure you include that when you create your poll, don't just cop out and ask is Darnell Nurse at 3X9.25 better than Darnell at 8X9.25? No Oiler fan with a brain should be taking Darnell at 3X9.25+8X10.25 (11.35% of cap) over 8X9.25, he already gets clowned for being at 9.25, imagine Darnell at 8 figures...

Ironically the whole reason we have Darnell at 8X9.25 is because we signed him to multiple short term bridge deals. This ofc ignores that our actual 1D had a career ending injury and we had no internal replacements other than Nurse playing astronomical minutes.

I find it hilarious that your idea of refuting the previous poster was to make up some scenario about a different fanbase. When called out by someone in that fanbase, your new refutation is to try and compare a 100% UFA contract to contract that bought what, one UFA year? Just one bad faith argument after another.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seanaconda

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It seems like there should start to be panic if there isn't a deal when the season starts. There is time but we all figured that this would be fairly quick and that discussions would have started long before July 1st. The media said that too.

Now Chris Johnson is saying that the two sides aren't talking right now. I wasn't sure what he meant by that. It could be that one or both sides are on vacation atm. But this situation feels deadline driven. Maybe we don't see anything until training camp, or maybe even the start of the season

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
Look, if you are Connor McDavid scoring 150+ and packing your trophy case with multiple Harts, Art Rosses, and Rockets every year... you can walk into a negotiation and demand anything you want... on your terms.
Yeah you are going to get paid, just like Matthews will get paid. Then it becomes the difference if you are a dude like Crosby who gets it done, or McDavid or Matthews, who this far has not been able to get it done. Most of the GM's in the league would pay whatever Matthews asks, because he is a superstar, and i really don't see how him leaving 1m on the table will get Leafs to the cup, the squad has way more problems than Matthews salary.

McDavid will probably get it though, hes just too good.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Toronto is the anti-Boston when it comes to star players. Seems every guy wants to squeeze every $ possible out of the organization. Don't get me wrong it's understandable but it also feels like they're really handcuffing the team in doing this.
You go to the Leafs for one reason. Money.

Reactions: Cypruss

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
This has to be the longest haggling of term, ever, with a guaranteed $ amount. Unless Kypreos is just digging for page hits.
They likely just haven't "negotiated"/talked in a while. It's a slow, simmering conversation where both sides probably legitimately are on vacation. Unless one side emails the other and simply accepts the terms of the other side, this won't get done for a while. I would be surprised if a single counter offer has been tabled since early July. Neither side wants to negotiate against themselves, so it's very possible one side said "let's table this until later and take our vacations". And that side was very likely Matthews' camp, who were rumoured to be interested in waiting until later on in the summer. If you're Treliving, you stop and wait for Matthews' camp to re-engage at that point.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
False equivalency, him being paid more than Makar (First RFA cotnract signing for less years lmfao) has nothing to do with whether the Oilers want Darnell at 8 or 3 years. You probably pay more AAV over the 3 years (covid) because it's a short term contract, so that's even worse.

Additionally, 3 years of Darnell nurse at 9M+ would expire the offseason after next. I can't even imagine what we'd end up paying the guy when the cap is 88-90M in 2 years lmao. Make sure you include that when you create your poll, don't just cop out and ask is Darnell Nurse at 3X9.25 better than Darnell at 8X9.25? No Oiler fan with a brain should be taking Darnell at 3X9.25+8X10.25 (11.35% of cap) over 8X9.25, he already gets clowned for being at 9.25, imagine Darnell at 8 figures...

Ironically the whole reason we have Darnell at 8X9.25 is because we signed him to multiple short term bridge deals. This ofc ignores that our actual 1D had a career ending injury and we had no internal replacements other than Nurse playing astronomical minutes.

I find it hilarious that your idea of refuting the previous poster was to make up some scenario about a different fanbase. When called out by someone in that fanbase, your new refutation is to try and compare a 100% UFA contract to contract that bought what, one UFA year? Just one bad faith argument after another.

it’s okay, I’m open to being wrong.

I made a poll to see if I’m wrong though because you seem in love with the Nurse contract. Let’s see if others feel the same way.

Also, I mentioned what you asked but the Oilers don’t have to sign Nurse for 11 years. In 3 years they have the option on moving on, that’s the advantage of a 3 year deal. You’re somehow assuming they have to renew at the end of the 3 year deal, they don’t.

See here:

Also - with the bolded, so you agree Matthews would have a higher AAV in a 3 year deal than 8? Since the opposite has been being argued here.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You go to the Leafs for one reason. Money.
The Leafs are one of the top teams in the league. People will want to sign there just like any contender. They probably contend for the President's Trophy this season too, with Boston likely falling off

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

I made a poll to see if I’m wrong though because you seem in love with the Nurse contract. Let’s see if others feel the same way.

Also, I mentioned what you asked but the Oilers don’t have to sign Nurse for 11 years. In 3 years they have the option on moving on, that’s the advantage of a 3 year deal. You’re somehow assuming they have to renew at the end of the 3 year deal, they don’t.

See here:

Also - with the bolded, so you agree Matthews would have a higher AAV in a 3 year deal than 8? Since the opposite has been being argued here.
You worded the poll that's in your favor. Nurse is hfs punching bag ATM so most people don't want him at all so they will pick the shorter term. The Oilers are/ where a team that actually needs the guy tho.

But whatever think whatever we all have opinions

As for whether short term or long term the salaries raise it mostly matters on age. Over 30 more term will lower your aav under 30 more term will cost you more .

Matthews longer term will cost more because he knows the cap is rising and he will get paid anywhere.

Or you could just look at his last contract where he took 5 years because the Leafs couldn't afford whatever he was asking on an 8 year deal.

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You worded the poll that's in your favor. Nurse is hfs punching bag ATM so most people don't want him at all so they will pick the shorter term. The Oilers are/ where a team that actually needs the guy tho.

But whatever think whatever we all have opinions

As for whether short term or long term the salaries raise it mostly matters on age. Over 30 more term will lower your aav under 30 more term will cost you more .

Matthews longer term will cost more because he knows the cap is rising and he will get paid anywhere.

Or you could just look at his last contract where he took 5 years because the Leafs couldn't afford whatever he was asking on an 8 year deal.

It’s quite weird that you’re supporting a poster yet you’re arguing the exact opposite of him.

He said Nurse would get more on a shorter contract, you’re saying Nurse gets more with term cause he’s under 30.

You guys have different opinions and that’s okay.

How would you prefer I word the poll? I didn’t word it in my favour, I worded it objectively. If you want I can word it subjectively for you if you think it may lead to a result you’re happy with, how would you word it?

Also, RFA and UFA contracts are different. Term costs you more on RFA deals because it eats up UFA years. Matthews last contract was an RFA deal, his next is a UFA deal.

The poster said if they signed Nurse for 3 years it would come at a higher AAV, yet you’re responding to the post in support of him with the complete opposite take.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
story-slug3.jpg

This garbage is charged with this?

Bring in the Hextall sleeper agent!

Deas

Feb 3, 2017

I disagree on stating with certainty Toronto isn't winning. I think they're a contender. It's just damn hard.

Interesting point about the Bruin's depth players. The possibility of the team gaining nothing in roster strength from Marchand and Bergeron's discounts. The only result being overpayment of players who otherwise had gotten less. That's such a bummer if true.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
LA is most certainly preying on Matthews’ and Draisaitl’s contract situations. I’m sure they’ll end up with at least one. Possibly both

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Toronto will give Mathews a really good deal. Money is not the issue. But I suspect if there is no extension this year, It tells me he is now on the market and now where does he see himself playing say the next 7 years. Is he a west coast guy. Anaheim has the cap space and young talent. San Jose who knows. Kings seems set but he can be the next center to replace the older center. Dubas will swing for the fences here. Pens have cap space to sign him and he can be another star on a team known for stars. Boston will have to pony up here which they normally don't do.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

See here:

Looks like there were about 5 Oiler fans that disagreed with me which is a higher number than I admittedly thought there would be.

I'm not in love with the Nurse contract, I just understand that structurally the team had and still has no choice.

You and @La Bamba agree seem to adjacently agree with each other that's not going to be getting at least 9.25M when the 3 year expires, I'm not sure how we get to that conclusion though. He wasn't worth the contract when he signed it, but he still got it...Sure he doesn't have a career year in 2024 when he's due to be resigned after coming off of a 9.XX*3 contract (again, it's not 9.25X3 so no idea where that number comes from). However, if he's signing like 9.75X3 on the contract 1-2 years ago, how exactly are you convincing him to take a big pay cut in 2 years when the cap is 88-90M (projected) and he's still our 1LD playing huge minutes, while being full UFA?

I'd love to have Nurse for 9.75MX3 and then 7MX8. I'd take that 100/100 times over Nurse at 9.25X8. The issue is that I don't think the opinion that Nurse would sign some 9.5M+X3 contract and then take a 2.5M pay cut with the cap being 10M higher, nor the opinion that the Oilers walk away right when it's time to resign McDrai (lmfao), is anything but a pipe dream. If you give him a bloated 3 year contract and then lowball in the 7's, he just walks. I'm sure there's Oiler fans that are fine with that. Until they realize the rest of our D is even worse when playing 25 minutes a night, and McDavid walks because our window is even more shut + losing his best friend.

Unfortunately to poll closed too quickly for me to actually say any of this, so we are left with a lopsided poll and a bunch of meme comments ofc.

Obviously I agree Matthews would have a higher AAV in 3 year deal, if he's signing 13.5X3, he's not signing like 14X8 or some other nonsense. You pay more for short contracts because there's less security for the player. I find it quite ironic that you apparently agree with that premise as some kind of gotcha, but decided your poll should be Nurse 9.25X3 vs Nurse 9.25X8. Then you pretend you actually put my argument in there, not the poll options, nor the OP, but to some sub post. That poll went exactly as I said it would, given you set it up the exact way I said you probably would.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Looks like there were about 5 Oiler fans that disagreed with me which is a higher number than I admittedly thought there would be.

I'm not in love with the Nurse contract, I just understand that structurally the team had and still has no choice.

You and @La Bamba agree seem to adjacently agree with each other that's not going to be getting at least 9.25M when the 3 year expires, I'm not sure how we get to that conclusion though. He wasn't worth the contract when he signed it, but he still got it...Sure he doesn't have a career year in 2024 when he's due to be resigned after coming off of a 9.XX*3 contract (again, it's not 9.25X3 so no idea where that number comes from). However, if he's signing like 9.75X3 on this contract a 1-2 years ago, how exactly are you convincing him to take a big pay cut in 2 years when the cap is 88-90M (projected) and he's still our 1LD playing huge minutes.

I'd love to have Nurse for 9.75MX3 and then 7MX8. I'd take that 100/100 times over Nurse at 9.25X8. The issue is that I don't think the opinion that Nurse would sign some 9.5M+X3 contract and then take a 2.5M pay cut with the cap being 10M higher, nor the opinion that the Oilers walk away right when it's time to resign McDrai (lmfao) is anything but a pipe dream.

Unfortunately to poll closed too quickly for me to actually say any of this, so we are left with a lopsided poll and a bunch of meme comments ofc.

Obviously I agree Matthews would have a higher AAV in 3 year deal, if he's signing 13.5X3, he's not signing like 14X8 or some other nonsense. You pay more for short contracts because there's less security for the player. I find it quite ironic that you apparently agree with that premise as some kind of gotcha, but decided your poll should be Nurse 9.25X3 vs Nurse 9.25X8. Then you pretend you actually put my argument in there, not the poll options, nor the OP, but to some sub post. That poll went exactly as I said it would, given you set it up the exact way I said you probably would.

Yeah, I stand corrected.

I said the majority of Oilers fans would prefer a 3 year contract. I've realized I was underselling it.

Nearly all Oilers fan would prefer a 3 year contract for Nurse. I will use that language from here on out.

Feel free to start that poll on the Oilers board if you feel it'll go any differently than 95% of hockey fans wanting a 3 year contract.

3 fans voted again it, 1 of the 3 admitted it was out of spite, the other liked that comment and voted the same. So really 1 fan... out of 65.

The Oilers had a choice. Walk away and acquire either 2 better defensemen making less cap or trade for a 9M defenseman for pennies on the dollar, I'm sure Chicago is looking for a team for Seth Jones. No one except Pittsburgh wanted Karlsson. The Oilers could have easily pursued another overpaid defenseman if they so wished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad