Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Did anybody listen to him? He said Auston is getting 13.5M and the only thing they are haggling on is term. I believe Matthews wants a short term deal and the Leafs obviously want a longer one.

My prediction. He comes in at 13.5M x 5
Matthews has done his ELC and agreed to a 5 year extension. That is 8 years for a late birthday, so that's still takes him to 26. 3 years is to 29 while 5 is to 31.

Matthews is at a level where, barring serious injury, he'd still get max term if he hit the market at 31.

But, we all knew he was going to easily blow past MacKinnon's $12.6 mill AAV. Just a matter of by how much.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Did anybody listen to him? He said Auston is getting 13.5M and the only thing they are haggling on is term. I believe Matthews wants a short term deal and the Leafs obviously want a longer one.

My prediction. He comes in at 13.5M x 5
Probably come in at 4.

Did he say why Matthews wants such a short contract ? I guess with the cap expected to rise a decent amount and could be at 100 mill in 3-4 years (makes 34, illuminati confirmed) he might take that 13.5ish and then want to cash in for his final deal around 16 mill ? Maybe more if he actually goes to market.

If he goes to market after this upcoming season he's getting max

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Probably come in at 4.

Did he say why Matthews wants such a short contract ? I guess with the cap expected to rise a decent amount and could be at 100 mill in 3-4 years (makes 34, illuminati confirmed) he might take that 13.5ish and then want to cash in for his final deal around 16 mill ? Maybe more if he actually goes to market.

If he goes to market after this upcoming season he's getting max
So he can keep cashing in massively everytime hes up for a new deal... him and his agent are trend setters around the league for contracts. AM is maximizing the amount he gets paid PERFECTLY

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Wait, so Kypreos didn't say 3 years and you made that part up?
I am pretty sure he said that is what Matthews wants. It was on in the background while I was working. I just think it comes in the middle of max and 3 years.

He was more adamant that 13.5M is the salary

Why are you so worked up bud?

This probably means guys like McDavid will be like 14.5/15. Draisaitl probably same or more than Matthews. That dude is going to get a nice raise.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If he signs for 3 years that might actually be better for the Leafs because they won't have to pay him $14m+ into his 30's. That means they'd have to let him walk though in order to get those benefits.

That AAV is ridiculous though. Matthews better be a perennial Hart/Richard candidate and be well over PPG in the playoffs if he's going to be demanding that money. Not every Leafs playoff loss is on him but if you're making that amount of money you simply HAVE to be able to take over playoff series and win games for your team.

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
This sounds a bit stupid to me considering debilitating injuries can happen at any moment.

I see very low upside in choosing 40M with potential to sign later for say 112M, rather than simply signing for 108M right now with potential to sign later for say 20M.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I am pretty sure he said that is what Matthews wants. It was on in the background while I was working. I just think it comes in the middle of max and 3 years.

This probably means guys like McDavid will be like 14.5/15. Draisaitl probably same or more than Matthews. That dude is going to get a nice raise.
i dont think hes worked up... i think its just cause the title and the first post is a little confusing

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

So you are admitting you aren't sure what years Kypreos said, if any? Maybe you shouldnt quote in the title that he said 3 years?

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That would be the smart deal to take if you're really that concerned about maximizing the amount of money you can make.

3x$13.5M means he's 29(?) as a UFA in 2027 and likely looking at a near $100M cap. $13.5M would be nearly 16.5% of an 83.5M cap. Which means at a $100M cap the same contract would be $16.5M and no doubt he gets that for 7 years in Free agency if he went to market(Probably more honestly if he's still a Top 3 Center in the game).

Going this route could net him an extra $15-25M in career earnings tbh.

It's crazy he's trying to do this though, at least IMO... It's one thing to be unwilling to take a discount to stay on a long term deal. It's another thing entirely IMO to be unwilling to even take a long teem deal because of the potential for more cap space and more money in a couple years.

That is truly trying to maximize every dime you can get, and you almost never see it to that extent. Tough spot for Toronto if indeed this is what Matthews wants. It basically tells the team he cares way more about the money then the rest of the team and actually winning a cup with that group.

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
So he can keep cashing in massively everytime hes up for a new deal... him and his agent are trend setters around the league for contracts. AM is maximizing the amount he gets paid PERFECTLY
Assuming he doesn't get injured like countless other players did and he threw away like 70M in guaranteed money rather than like 30M in ''maybe'' money.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies

They're not worked up. You are blurring sourcing with your opinion. Everyone wants to know what the source specifically said. That's the point.

Reactions: Marshall
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad