Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

Status
Not open for further replies.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Yeah, I stand corrected.

I said the majority of Oilers fans would prefer a 3 year contract. I've realized I was underselling it.

Nearly all Oilers fan would prefer the contract.

3 fans voted again it, 1 of the 3 admitted it was out of spite. So really 2 fans... out of 65.
That's a hilarious take. I'll remember that next time I see you complaining about the Leafs losing a poll on the mainboards because of "Anti-Leafs bias". TIL that mainboards polls can be extrapolated to an entire fanbase, despite there being only like 5 recognizable Oiler fans voting in there, 6 if you add the guy that voted to spite you, which I didn't.
You’re the furthest thing from objective. Leafs are GOOD. Non Leafs bad.
Did the exact thing I said they would. Make two poll options with the same $ over different terms, with no overt mention of an expected resigned contract at the end of the three year term. Even more ironic is that they believe Matthews on a short term contract signs for more than he does on a long term one. Then in the Nurse poll they put Nurse at 9.25X3 vs 9.25X8. Zero consistency as expected.

Take note though, they just said that the poll containing a grand total of like 5-6 Oiler fans where I "lost" 65-3 means that the ratio can be applied to our fanbase. I suppose that logic now applies to Anti-Leaf threads too, majority of Leaf fans must anti-leaf for them to lose so many polls.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
That's a hilarious take. I'll remember that next time I see you complaining about the Leafs losing a poll on the mainboards because of "Anti-Leafs bias". TIL that mainboards polls can be extrapolated to an entire fanbase, despite there being only like 5 recognizable Oiler fans voting in there, 6 if you add the guy that voted to spite you, which I didn't.

Did the exact thing I said they would. Make two poll options with the same $ over different terms, with no overt mention of an expected resigned contract at the end of the three year term. Even more ironic is that they believe Matthews on a short term contract signs for more than he does on a long term one. Then in the Nurse poll they put Nurse at 9.25X3 vs 9.25X8. Zero consistency as expected.

Take note though, they just said that the poll containing a grand total of like 5-6 Oiler fans where I "lost" 65-3 means that the ratio can be applied to our fanbase. I suppose that logic now applies to Anti-Leaf threads too, majority of Leaf fans must anti-leaf for them to lose so many polls.

So why don't you make a poll?

Design it as subjective as you like. Make it on the Oilers board. The reason you won't is because even you don't believe what you're saying. :laugh:

It's a nice strawman to request someone else to make a poll so you can criticize it when it works significantly against your favour.

You make it - then let's see your excuse when you realize you're the only one that thinks that way or let's see the reason for why you won't make the poll.

You're the only one who seems to like the Nurse contract so far.

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
So why don't you make a poll?

Design it as subjective as you like.
Bold is exactly why this conversation is useless. That you don't see an issue with subjective polls is already damning enough, it's the same logic that causes threads to have ever ramping levels of hyperbole until mods have to close the thread.

The poll already got closed... I'm not going to get infracted just to create another poll. I'm comfortable enough with my opinion about Nurse (who I do not think is worth 9.25M) and how the UFA/RFA market works. I also see no reason to make it on the Oiler boards given that most of the people I've communicated with about Nurse actually see the reasoning when we have a conversation about it. We have a massive Nurse thread, you're welcome to go read it at any time. I have conversed with very few people that believe Nurse at 0X0 > Nurse at 9.25X8.

On the topic of this thread, I think that Matthews at 13.5M is a nightmare. I always want to see elite superstars on long term contracts, mostly because I don't want the stress of worrying about them bolting every few years. It's too irritating to go through the media speculation cycle about their next landing spot, or negotiations are rough, teams too far apart, will they be traded, etc. I'm already dreading McDrai in 2-3 years. Couldn't imaging doing it every 2-3-5 years. In terms of cap hit it's not egregious at all. Nothing else really needs to be said on either front.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Bold is exactly why this conversation is useless. That you don't see an issue with subjective polls is already damning enough, it's the same logic that causes threads to have ever ramping levels of hyperbole until mods have to close the thread.

The poll already got closed... I'm not going to get infracted just to create another poll. I'm comfortable enough with my opinion about Nurse (who I do not think is worth 9.25M) and how the UFA/RFA market works. I also see no reason to make it on the Oiler boards given that most of the people I've communicated with in the Nurse thread actually see the reasoning when we have a conversation about it. We have a massive Nurse thread, you're welcome to go read it at any time. I have conversed with very few people that believe Nurse at 0X0 > Nurse at 9.25X8.

On the topic of this thread, I think that Matthews at 13.5M is a nightmare. I always want to see elite superstars on long term contracts, mostly because I don't want the stress of worrying about them bolting every few years. It's too irritating to go through the media speculation cycle about their next landing spot, or negotiations are rough, teams too far apart, will they be traded, etc. I'm already dreading McDrai in 2-3 years. Couldn't imaging doing it every 2-3-5 years. In terms of cap hit it's not egregious at all.

Okay, so I'm guessing you won't make the poll.

In the poll I created, more Oilers fans voted for 3 years than 8.

Therefore, "the majority" of Oilers fan has been proven correct until you create a poll that contradicts that.

You typing walls of texts doesn't change that. Maybe try typing those walls of text on that poll you're going to make on the Oilers board. You're going to make it on a different forum, full of Oilers fans.

I'll wait.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Okay, so I'm guessing you won't make the poll.

In the poll I created, more Oilers fans voted for 3 years than 8.

Therefore, "the majority" of Oilers fan has been proven correct until you create a poll that contradicts that.

You typing walls of texts doesn't change that. Maybe try typing those walls of text on that poll you're going to make on the Oilers board.

I'll wait.
You're right, I should make my posts shorter since your reading comprehension evidently below average. You don't need to guess, just keep re-reading the post until you figure it out.

The majority of Oiler fans has not been proven correct, the data you have is just fruit of the poisonous tree. Pretty simple.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I hope so...dude needed to be shipped out long ago. Trade him for elite young D man and the leafs immediately become 'true' playoff contenders.
Agreed but selling out every night and making the playoffs isn't so bad if you are management/ownership , the ship has passed on trading him or Marner gotta bite the bullet now

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I hope so...dude needed to be shipped out long ago. Trade him for elite young D man and the leafs immediately become 'true' playoff contenders.
Can’t trade AM now. He’s got the NMC that kicked in July 1, 2023. Leafs either give in to his contract demands or he walks July 1, 2024. And maybe he wants to be a UFA and get a bidding war going? Then he could (likely) get 14 or even 15 per from some GM. The Leafs could use the open cap space to sign an older UFA D man though.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Can’t trade AM now. He’s got the NMC that kicked in July 1, 2023. Leafs either give in to his contract demands or he walks July 1, 2024. And maybe he wants to be a UFA and get a bidding war going? Then he could (likely) get 14 or even 15 per from some GM. The Leafs could use the open cap space to sign an older UFA D man though.
Thinking AM would be flexible regarding NMC.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Thinking AM would be flexible regarding NMC.
Why would he be flexible regarding his NMC? And if he was, what team would give up much for him considering he’s a UFA July 1, 2024?
IMO the Leafs have two choices. One is to give AM the contract he demands. Two is they let him walk as a UFA July 1, 2024 and use that opened cap space to sign the best UFA D man available. I’m not sure who the 2024 UFA D are though. But isn’t that how Vegas got AP, as a UFA?
AM has all the leverage right now so to give in to his demands might not be as good for the club as using the opened cap to sign a coveted UFA D.

Reactions: Blowfish

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's worth more than Mack, less than McD. That said, I wouldn't want to be the team that pays him what he (or more rightly his agent) thinks he's worth

Why is he worth more than Mackinnon?

Mackinnon has heen superior playoff performer and has won Cup while being a top3 player for his team with Makar& Rantanen

Matthews has only shown ability to be a top tier player in regular season

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Speaking of haggling. I see many people going into IKEA trying to haggle the discounted items in the ASIS department. Shame on you. It's not a garage sale. It's discounted!

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Mackinnon has heen superior playoff performer and has won Cup while being a top3 player for his team with Makar& Rantanen

Matthews has only shown ability to be a top tier player in regular season
So how come Claude Lemieux was never the highest paid player in the NHL at the time he was winning cups?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
He's not. Let's look at just the last 5 years. Regular season and playoffs.

Auston Matthews
Regular Season: 410 points in 337 GP = 1.2 PPG
Playoffs: 37 points in 37 GP = 1 PPG
Regular Season GPG = 0.67 (55 over 82 GP)
Playoffs GPG = 0.46 (38 over 82 GP)
Trophy Case: Calder, Hart, Rocket x2
Top-10 Hart Finishes: 3
Top-5 Hart Finishes: 2
Cups: 0
AS Games: 4
2022-23 PPG = 1.15
2021-22 PPG = 1.45
2020-21 PPG = 1.3
2019-20 PPG = 1.14
2018-19 PPG = 1
Playoff Rounds Won (last 5 years): 1

Nathan MacKinnon
Regular Season: 456 points in 335 GP = 1.4 PPG
Playoffs: 84 points in 54 GP = 1.3 PPG
Regular Season GPG = 0.52 (42 over 82 GP)
Playoffs GPG = 0.58 (47 over 82 GP)
Trophy Case: Calder
Top-10 Hart Finishes: 5
Top-5 Hart Finishes: 3
Cups: 1
AS Games: 5
2022-23 PPG = 1.6
2021-22 PPG = 1.35
2020-21 PPG = 1.35
2019-20 PPG = 1.35
2018-19 PPG = 1.2
Playoff Rounds Won (last 5 years): 7

These players are absolutely as comparable as it gets, with MacKinnon having an edge, all things considered. The only area in which Matthews is superior to MacKinnon is regular season goal scoring. In the playoffs, not only does Matthews overall points take a big dip, but his goals take a large dip. In the playoffs, MacKinnon has more goals-per-game than Matthews.

Matthews does have the edge in individual trophies, but MacKinnon edges Matthews in Top-5 Hart finishes 3 vs. 2. And, of course, MacKinnon has won the Stanley Cup. So it's not like either player is throwing out a resume like Connor McDavid.

I think it's safe to say that out of the two, Matthews is a better regular season goal scorer but MacKinnon is a better overall point producer -- in both the regular season and playoffs -- and is a better goal scorer when the games ramp up in the playoffs. MacKinnon also wins the intangibles match-up, as his fire, dedication, intensity, and leadership are levels above Matthews.

However, strip the intangibles if you like (which I personally wouldn't...) and use their productivity during the regular season and playoffs. There's no way to conclude that Auston Matthews is a better player than Nate MacKinnon. Nor does Matthews deserve more money than MacKinnon. When you factor in that MacKinnon has been a dream with contracts and has just committed to 8 years, it makes the Matthews drama even more grotesque.

All that said, due to the fact that Dubas overpaid and undertermed Matthews once already, there's no reversing course completely. Not with a selfish diva like Matthews. However, the absolute top-end measuring stick should be signing Matthews to a contract equal to Nate MacKinnon -- 12.6 x 8. That will still be 800k raise per year (on an already-inflated contract) for an 8-year commitment. Matthews has the 66 mil he already made, would make another 100 million on a 12.6 x 8 deal, then still be able to sign another 2-3 year "twilight contract" at age 35 for likely another 20-30 million, assuming the cap increases.

If $186-196+ million isn't enough money for Auston Matthews to play for the Leafs, I don't know what to tell you people lmao.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Atleast he signed for 8 years. So did Mcdavid, your guys wont do it. What do the rest of those players have to do with stars that eat up such a large cap number.

Nurse would have to be the dumbest person in hockey to not agree to an 8 year deal at the cap hit they gave him. He knew they were overpaying and he wouldnt get a contract like this again so it makes sense why he would agree to a max deal.

Not to mention he was coming off a career year that was unlikely to be replicated.

Reactions: Darren McCord

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
What elite young D man could the Leafs realistically target in exchange for Matthews that would make them immediate contenders?

Matthews is their biggest key to being true contenders.

Reactions: Blowfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad