Rumor: Kypreos says Matthews will be 13.5M (Haggling over term)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Of course, but MacKinnon being paid league max by 100k after winning a Cup for the Avs is a whole lot different than Matthews coming over the top and demanding 1 million more than MacKinnon plus 3-4 less years of term... especially after a down year in which he scored 85 points in 75 games to MacKinnon's 111 and McDavid's 153. One of these things is not like the other.
And MacKinnon was also coming off one of the team friendly deals during the cap era.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A lot of wasted words here. It's really difficult to make any comments on Matthews new contract when it's not even done.

My logic is sound. My contributions here are near elite. I'm pretty sure when the next elite player negotiates a new contract they will be paid higher than Matthews. Why can't you be at rest with that fact?
we see next summer with Draisaitl I suppose. Then McDavid the following.

Also somewhat interesting, what is happening with Dahlin. He has one year left too but no word there. He's impending RFA though of course so it's different, but you'd think it's at least interesting Buffalo hasn't locked up their elite Dman yet.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
IMG_7050.jpeg
Soon

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Mackinnon demanded more money than McDavid, but for whatever reason Mackinnon doesn't have a big ego. Sure he won a cup, but is he better than McDavid ? How dare he ask for more than McDavid ?
MacKinnon was paid 100k more than McDavid (a deal McDavid signed years ago). And MacKinnon signed for 8 years. So, why doesn't Matthews do the same? 12.6 x 8 years? Why should he be coming over the top and asking for 13.5 and only 4 years? It doesn't make sense. Nobody is saying Matthews can't make 100k more than McDavid... but take 12.6 and commit to 8 years like MacKinnon did. If that deal was good enough for MacK it should be more than good enough for Matthews.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
MacKinnon was paid 100k more than McDavid (a deal McDavid signed years ago). And MacKinnon signed for 8 years. So, why doesn't Matthews do the same? 12.6 x 8 years? Why should he be coming over the top and asking for 13.5 and only 4 years? It doesn't make sense. Nobody is saying Matthews can't make 100k more than McDavid... but take 12.6 and commit to 8 years like MacKinnon did. If that deal was good enough for MacK it should be more than good enough for Matthews.

100% agree on this. Matthews asking for 13.5M is pretty selfish, but whatever he's our star just get it done.

Still not the point I'm making. One player is called egotistical and selfish for wanting more than McDavid, the other is not. Mackinnon had absolutely no business signing for more than McDavid but he did anyways. Mack signed his deal last year, Matthews will be (hopefully) signing an extension this year when the cap has gone up.

Just pointing out that the double standards here are hilarious.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
56 pages for a bullshit rumor from Kypreos of all people. Never change, HF, never change.
I mean I was repeatedly assured he would be signed or traded before his trade protection kicked in sooooo

Some leafs fans dug their own grave when it comes to this tbh.

100% agree on this. Matthews asking for 13.5M is pretty selfish, but whatever he's our star just get it done.

Still not the point I'm making. One player is called egotistical and selfish for wanting more than McDavid, the other is not. Mackinnon had absolutely no business signing for more than McDavid but he did anyways. Mack signed his deal last year, Matthews will be (hopefully) signing an extension this year when the cap has gone up.

They should both make more than McDavid. McDavid took a discount and he signed that like 5 ~ years ago ? Contracts will continue to rise

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I don't think the Leafs can win with Matthews as their star to be perfectly honest. He's going to be another Sundin.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I mean I was repeatedly assured he would be signed or traded before his trade protection kicked in sooooo

They should both make more than McDavid. McDavid took a discount and he signed that like 5 ~ years ago ? Contracts will continue to rise
Dug my own grave via a Kypreos rumour? How did you jump to that conclusion?

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies

"Dug their own grave" maybe it is time for you to sign off and take a break? You're taking an internet forum a bit too serious.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

There were reports as to which athletes make the most money off-ice. Matthews and Marner clocked in on avg about 3 to 4 million per year. McJesus was #1 and Ovi rounded out the top4 guys. Everyone else do not even smell 1 million per year for off-ice earnings.

If Matthews re-signs with the Leafs (largest fan base in terms of numbers); that off-ice earning is only going to go up to about 5 to 6 million more per year (may be even more).

It is baffling that Matthews is seeking 13.5 million for 3 to 5 years as rumored.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I wasn't talking about you. Unless you are representing the entire fan base. I meant past threads.

Maybe I'm the only one that read the matthews will be traded or signed by now posts shrug

"Dug their own grave" maybe it is time for you to sign off and take a break? You're taking an internet forum a bit too serious.
Lmao it's a saying good lord you are too serious . Would some leaf fans should eat crow be preferred? Or should I just be like oh yes everyone is right always ?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Oh your name is leafs fans lol my mistake. I meant some leafs fans as in ...some leafs fans and not you . I didn't realize you were even a person

I wish I paid attention to names because if you got me on a name switch that's hilarious

Last edited:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

It's different though and you know that, Matthews squeezed every penny he could out of the Leafs the first time around and is doing so again. A small part of Mackinnon becoming the highest paid player was a thanks for being CRIMINALLY underpaid for literally 6 out of 7 years - not to mention winning a cup. Also, the rest of the league aren't just going to wait for McDavid to set the new bar for highest paid player every time his contract is up, in fact it only hurts McDavid himself if they do that so he kinda did have business doing that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad