Rumor: Kypreos: being told don't be surprised if Karlsson is traded in next 9 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Don't be surprised? I'd be downright floored. That's a hellova transaction mid season. I seriously have doubts. Draft is a much better time for this kind of trade should it occur.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Wow... if you are an Avs fan, you have a very short memory.
So what do you call fighting for a wild card spot for two years in a row, coming in last place and then back to fighting for a wild card spot?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
then why is this thread at 20+ pages

where's there's smoke there's fire...

Theres this many pages because everyone has an opinion.

There's never been a report suggesting teams were having any kind of serious talk regarding a trade. The most you have out there are quotes like...

"don't be surprised"
"I'm not convinced"

It's pot stirring at its best. If you actually listen to whats being said by Kypreos and Friedman, theres nothing there. They just want to keep the idea alive for the next week for obvious reasons.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Bolded for emphasis. It’s wishful thinking from Sens fans to get full price for Karlsson on a year and change contract when he’s playing the way he is. And frankly even if he were 100% the short term still makes him far less valuable than Sens fans think he is - no team is giving up a young, cost-controlled elite player like Point for a little over a year of anybody.

If Ottawa is planning on resigning Karlsson then by all means they can afford to make the price as high as they like, but don’t expect other teams to bite. But if you’ve decided he’s not coming back and actually want to get something for him you’re going to have to come to terms with the fact that his health and contract status are going to significantly impact the return you get. Frankly I want no part of him so it’s not like I’m trying to lowball Sens fans on him - I’m just rejecting the ridiculous overpayments you’re demanding from us.

"He clearly isnt himself right now" because the doctor removed half of his -Ankle- bone and even Karlsson has said it feels weird and strange.

In today's NHL where skill -and- speed pay a factor, this injury is going to eventually cripple him if he's not careful. I know he's had other injuries in the past but -this- injury in particular is a career deteriorating one and we're seeing it happen right before our eyes.

There will come a point in the near future where Karlsson is going to have to choose whether he wants to not be able to walk or retire from the NHL. Why are people believeing that this is an injury he can come back 100% from? It's not. Name a player with this same injury who came back to 100% or close to it? I checked btw and didn't find one.

The Sens are playing poorly this year and just because Karlsson seems to be picking up the slack when you look at his Stats while still obviously injured doesn't mean he isn't regressing. If anything, it shows how much Willpower he has and I think that what's he running on and his greatest asset.

But what happens when his body finally says screw it, how will his willpower help him then? I'm not saying this to belittle him one bit; I am legitimately concerned for his health and too many posters here are stuck in the past and him somehow being The Greatest Dman Ever.

Please stop that.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
And now Karlsson is going no where.

I think it was an awful idea to trade him in the first place. Karlsson is only 27 and could play at a top level for another 10 years. If the Sens are going full scorched Earth, they are hoping to get a Karlsson type player with 10 years of top play as a best case scenario. Karlsson's good enough that he is the rebuild. You build around him.

That being said, I never though Montreal would trade Subban....so teams do make huge mistakes.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
If the Sens are going full scorched Earth, they are hoping to get a Karlsson type player with 10 years of top play as a best case scenario.

Now put yourself in the shoes of a GM who has such a player. If you’ve got a guy who you think can give you ten years of top play, why would you even consider trading that for a little over a year of an injured Karlsson?

The way I see it the Senators have two choices: do what you suggest and hang onto him in the hopes that he can recover and give you some more good years before his inevitable decline, or sell him for whatever you can get while his future is still a question mark and not a known negative. Personally I’d go with the latter as he’s already at the age where offensive defensemen start to decline and combined with his recent injury I wouldn’t want to give him anything close to what he’s asking for his next deal, but that’s just me.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
"He clearly isnt himself right now" because the doctor removed half of his -Ankle- bone and even Karlsson has said it feels weird and strange.

In today's NHL where skill -and- speed pay a factor, this injury is going to eventually cripple him if he's not careful. I know he's had other injuries in the past but -this- injury in particular is a career deteriorating one and we're seeing it happen right before our eyes.

There will come a point in the near future where Karlsson is going to have to choose whether he wants to not be able to walk or retire from the NHL. Why are people believeing that this is an injury he can come back 100% from? It's not. Name a player with this same injury who came back to 100% or close to it? I checked btw and didn't find one.

The Sens are playing poorly this year and just because Karlsson seems to be picking up the slack when you look at his Stats while still obviously injured doesn't mean he isn't regressing. If anything, it shows how much Willpower he has and I think that what's he running on and his greatest asset.

But what happens when his body finally says screw it, how will his willpower help him then? I'm not saying this to belittle him one bit; I am legitimately concerned for his health and too many posters here are stuck in the past and him somehow being The Greatest Dman Ever.

Please stop that.

This. He’s been a hell of a player and should be proud of the career he’s had, but while I wish him the best I think whoever hands him his next contract is going to seriously regret it.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
But you've already researched it.... right?

I checked into at some length and I really didn't find one; with ankle injuries a very common injury for a hockey player or an ice skater, the list was very long and one could spend a really long period of time "Researching" it. There are players who didn't make the NHL due to a bad ankle injury. When I checked into it, I wasn't looking into just Karlsson's injury because each injury imo is unique to the player; the same injury could end Player A's career but only diminish and degrade another's.

Off the top of my head (Because I did make a list but I do not have it on this computer and I'd like to have an answer for you now and'll update later upon request), I looked up players like Peter Forsberg who had a -minor- ankle injury and while he had an excellent career, that injury compiled with others, caused him to retire; Bob Baun is another; fractured his ankle only to come back and win the Cup. Valeri Kharmalov's (while not an NHL player was playing against one) injury courtesy of Bobby Clarke and the injury derailed his national career and bought Canada the victory in the Summit Series.

Saying that I "researched" it states that I put a large amount of time into it and I haven't. In case you missed it, I stated it as a question, so I am asking THE READER if they had seen/heard/know of someone with an injury like this who came back from it 100%. I haven't found one. Now, have you? Because that was my question. So... has anyone?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Hell, I’ll give you personal experience in the matter. My primary sport isn’t hockey but I can tell you that after breaking countless bones, blowing out my knee, tearing muscles in my back and ligaments in my shoulder, etc. that it was a combination foot and ankle injury that caused me the greatest longterm physical degradation. Everything else I came back from but I was never the same after destroying my ankle. Obviously different sports have different physical requirements but ankle injuries for some reason never seem to heal right and are never fully recovered from. As a fan of hockey I’d love to see Karlsson return to form after this but if I were a GM I certainly wouldn’t bet the future of my franchise on it.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Now put yourself in the shoes of a GM who has such a player. If you’ve got a guy who you think can give you ten years of top play, why would you even consider trading that for a little over a year of an injured Karlsson?

The way I see it the Senators have two choices: do what you suggest and hang onto him in the hopes that he can recover and give you some more good years before his inevitable decline, or sell him for whatever you can get while his future is still a question mark and not a known negative. Personally I’d go with the latter as he’s already at the age where offensive defensemen start to decline and combined with his recent injury I wouldn’t want to give him anything close to what he’s asking for his next deal, but that’s just me.

... Or you could not sell low on one of the best players in the league. Karlsson is much more than an offensive defenceman.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad