Player Discussion Kyle Turris

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Goes to show that sitting out due to lack of playing time or a contract dispute doesn't necessarily make you a bad guy in other aspects of your personality.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Alfie sat out once too.

Also goes to show that the players don't necessarily owe anything to the teams that draft them.

You could say Alfie was a fool to take pay cuts to help a struggling club when he could've gone to another team that would've paid him more and possibly had more success.

But volunteering your time and name for causes you believe in is different from fighting for your pay cheque. For example, I can say I'm happy Subban got paid so handsomely, because it also meant the Children's hospital got 10 million in donation.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I've never seen Turris as great faceoffman, but boy (or girl) is he changing my mind in these playoffs.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I've never seen Turris as great faceoffman, but boy (or girl) is he changing my mind in these playoffs.

I've seen some observers claim that faceoffs are an overrated stat - I strongly disagree. Winning draws in your own end is critical. How many times do you see a team lose a draw in their own end, and never do touch the puck again until it is in the back of their net? We dominated the faceoff circle in this series, and to me it was a really underrated part of our success...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I've seen some observers claim that faceoffs are an overrated stat - I strongly disagree. Winning draws in your own end is critical. How many times do you see a team lose a draw in their own end, and never do touch the puck again until it is in the back of their net? We dominated the faceoff circle in this series, and to me it was a really underrated part of our success...

If you're looking at specific cases they're important. But I think after a game. As a whole. the faceoffs don't make a massive difference one way or the other. The puck changes possession so often that a faceoff is just another puck battle.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
If you're looking at specific cases they're important. But I think after a game. As a whole. the faceoffs don't make a massive difference one way or the other. The puck changes possession so often that a faceoff is just another puck battle.

I agree on a grand scheme it doesn't matter, but I think teams want that 60-40 guy for those PK and D zone face offs against opposing top lines to help disrupt their game and kill any momentum. Having a few >50% guys is great.

I recall seeing Bergeron wasting a lot of our PP time and also taking possession while in position while we were PK and it was frightful to spend 2min in our end for PKs.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
No, face-offs are not just another puck battle.

They are a static event from which a team has several set plays to run. When you win clean you run one of your scoring plays, or clearing plays.

Regular puck battles are generally followed by a few other plays/passes to establish possession and begin setting up a play.

If you like possession you should like face-offs because a win almost always leads to puck possession. In the D zone there is a high chance for a clearing play/breakout, and from the Ozone a high chance for a scoring play.

Owning the dot is a decisive advantage over the other team, it's not the be all end all, but it's a decisive advantage to go along with as many others as your team can cobble together.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

It matters a lot. Lose a draw when on the powerplay, and you can lose a good chunk of the man advantage. Lose a draw when you're trying to tie the game with 30 seconds left, and you lose the game. Lose a draw after a long battle in your zone, and you end up getting scored on because your defenders are dog tired and you couldn't get possession to get the puck out of the zone.

There are tons of situations where winning a draw is critical.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hahaha

Winning faceoffs doesn't matter that much because the puck changes possession?!

What kind of reasoning is that :laugh:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'd argue one of the things that led to winning the first two series was faceoff success

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Hahaha

Winning faceoffs doesn't matter that much because the puck changes possession?!

What kind of reasoning is that :laugh:

The importance is seen by the fact that coaches put up their best FO men at key times. Or sometimes just for the faceoff alone. Just watch how Vermette is deployed in ANA tonight.

Or look at what Kenopka did for us. He was useless outside of taking out scrubs and FO but boy was he good at winning draws. And it worked out pretty well for us.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'd argue one of the things that led to winning the first two series was faceoff success

Faceoff success is absolutely instrumental. ESPECIALLY if we win it and Karlsson has the puck vs when they win it and Malkin has the puck.

Faceoff success is one of the reasons Boston won the cup and they deploy Bergeron out there 50% of the time.

I can't emphasize the importance of faceoff success, especially when we have EK and they have Crosby/Malkin.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
ReginKarlssonLehner;132377417[B said:
]Faceoff success is absolutely instrumental. [/B]ESPECIALLY if we win it and Karlsson has the puck vs when they win it and Malkin has the puck.

Faceoff success is one of the reasons Boston won the cup and they deploy Bergeron out there 50% of the time.

I can't emphasize the importance of faceoff success, especially when we have EK and they have Crosby/Malkin.

Gaining possession off a faceoff in either end of the rink is huge; Pretty Obvious no?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It matters a lot. Lose a draw when on the powerplay, and you can lose a good chunk of the man advantage. Lose a draw when you're trying to tie the game with 30 seconds left, and you lose the game. Lose a draw after a long battle in your zone, and you end up getting scored on because your defenders are dog tired and you couldn't get possession to get the puck out of the zone.

There are tons of situations where winning a draw is critical.

Absolutely it does & explains why so many teams, if they don't have a really good faceoff guy already, bring one in at the trade deadline to improve their faceoff wins in the playoffs. The more good faceoff guys you have the more possession time you have which reduces the other team's puck touches & possession time. It may not make a difference in one game or another but overall in a tight series it can mean winning & moving on to the next series. It used to be a big problem for Ottawa in the past but this yr has become a real strength of the team. :nod:

Absolutely, I would too. :handclap:

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
I know Turris is a nice guy and scored that lucky overtime goal, but I think he needs to be upgraded on for the Sens to have a chance of repeating this year's success. Will Dorion have the stones to trade Turris, Ceci and a pick for a true #1 centre (if available)? Tweaking the 4th line is not going to help the Senators maintain relevance.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I know Turris is a nice guy and scored that lucky overtime goal, but I think he needs to be upgraded on for the Sens to have a chance of repeating this year's success. Will Dorion have the stones to trade Turris, Ceci and a pick for a true #1 centre (if available)? Tweaking the 4th line is not going to help the Senators maintain relevance.

I really like Turris but I agree, we need an upgrade at centre. Preferably he would be our #2 with a legitimate #1 on the roster but to get you got to give.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

Turris is the sens all time leader in playoff OT goals. At some point it stops being luck.

I agree we need an upgrade at centre but Turris isn't the guy you upgrade. Brassard is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad