Kyle Turris: Management wanted to sign me, Ownership didn't

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Oh, I like how you forgot to include how we also sent Turris the other way......
By ''giving up the farm'' I take that to mean selling off futures/ prospects. No, I did not forget Turris was traded...
I would just say that with the management/ownership team in place, it was quite the relief to see that none of the top prospects were included(Brown, White, Chabot, even Chlapik) and they surprising had the foresight to protect the 1st.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
By ''giving up the farm'' I take that to mean selling off futures/ prospects. No, I did not forget Turris was traded...
I would just say that with the management/ownership team in place, it was quite the relief to see that none of the top prospects were included(Brown, White, Chabot, even Chlapik) and they surprising had the foresight to protect the 1st.
If that pick ends up being top 5 next year, it'll definitely go down as 'selling the farm'. Yashin type of deal.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
The whole Twitter exchange with Julie was kind of hilarious.

That being said, it was kind of a dick move for Turris to throw gasoline on the fire when the Sens were in one of the worst slumps in franchise history. Like, I get that you hate Eugene but why are you making life more difficult for your former teammates? Also, Dorion traded you to a team that's likely going to compete for a cup this year...you landed on your feet, no need to be petty now.

total complete shot at mr melnyk. you misinterpreted his comments

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Melnyk said. “I can’t remember ever overriding a Pierre Dorion decision." , not, I have never overridden a Pierre Dorion decision.
I know he has. That was worded that way for a reason. Let's also remember he misses Bill O'Reilly. We have now entered the no spin zone.

225ui.jpg

kenempa

May 10, 2017
The issue has always been that the "Ottawa Senators" do not make money off of the Canadian Tire Centre (which is owned by Melnyk) or the concessions and merchandising IIRC.

So creative accounting makes it look worse than it is.

We have the cheapest beer out of all arenas I'm pretty sure.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
We have the cheapest beer out of all arenas I'm pretty sure.
Aside here, but I was paying 17.50 for a large beer in Montreal. Mind you, it was like 700ml which I think is bigger than whatever they serve at CTC but many "20 dollar beer" jokes were made. The wait for beer is way less at the Bell Centre too but the bathroom lines... They have a perfect racket going there.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
If that pick ends up being top 5 next year, it'll definitely go down as 'selling the farm'. Yashin type of deal.

If Ottawa gets a top 5 pick this season I would really shocked if they were in the same position next season. But I guess a lot of that depends on whether Karlsson is re-signed or not.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
If anything he made Dorion look better.

I'm all for anyone making Melnyk look like bad.

Don't you find it a little odd that Dorion keeps whispering to players that "He wishes they could stay, but X wants you gone"? Remember Chris Neil saying that management wanted him to stay but the coach wanted him gone? Now it's Turris saying management wanted him but the owner didn't? I get the feeling Dorion doesn't like hurting people's feelings so he shifts blame to maintain personal relationships.

total complete shot at mr melnyk. you misinterpreted his comments

I didn't misinterpret anything. I know it was a shot at Melnyk; I just think it was a little tasteless on his part. The Sens were in the midst a horrendous, season-destroying losing streak and he decided to throw fuel on the fire by throwing shade at the owner when he's playing in...Vancouver? There was no reason for him to take on that question. I appreciate the candour but it sucks that he put his former teammates in the position of having to deal with more drama while they're in the midst of a massive losing streak.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
This is also the second time someone's relative went after Melnyk on twitter after a meeting/negotiation. First Boudreau's daughter and now Turris' wife.

How is this normal?

Reactions: Icelevel

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This is also the second time someone's relative went after Melnyk on twitter after a meeting/negotiation. First Boudreau's daughter and now Turris' wife.

How is this normal?
Because our owner is a slime ball, who has such a lack of self-realization of consistently makes the same embarrassing public announcements.

Reactions: Icelevel

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The issue has always been that the "Ottawa Senators" do not make money off of the Canadian Tire Centre (which is owned by Melnyk) or the concessions and merchandising IIRC.

So creative accounting makes it look worse than it is.

the 10M figure from this site is a repeat of the Forbes data. You can read what is included in revenue in the footnotes of there articles

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The whole Twitter exchange with Julie was kind of hilarious.

That being said, it was kind of a dick move for Turris to throw gasoline on the fire when the Sens were in one of the worst slumps in franchise history. Like, I get that you hate Eugene but why are you making life more difficult for your former teammates? Also, Dorion traded you to a team that's likely going to compete for a cup this year...you landed on your feet, no need to be petty now.

I got the feeling he did it to help out his teammates...draw a bit of attention away from their play. Put the bullseye on Eugene, and give the guys in the locker room a bit of relief.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Didn't Melnyk just recently get $13 million or so from LV coming into the NHL? How much money does this guy need? I guess billionaires go through millions rather quickly. I'm always amazed that these guys always seem to be refinancing instead of just paying off the debts like the rest of us do all our lives.

I think billionaires know a little better than most of us, how to handle their finances............ perhaps that's why they're billionaires, and most of us are not.

Did you ever have a mortgage? If so, did you only pay the scheduled payments, or did you stop spending all other expenses, the "wants" not the "needs" and funnel all that extra money on paying down the principle?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think billionaires know a little better than most of us, how to handle their finances............ perhaps that's why they're billionaires, and most of us are not.

Did you ever have a mortgage? If so, did you only pay the scheduled payments, or did you stop spending all other expenses, the "wants" not the "needs" and funnel all that extra money on paying down the principle?

You mean they hire accountants to do that for them? Being wealthy doesn't make you smarter with your money. I won't become better with my money if my salary is doubled, tripled or if I build a time machine and go back 37 years to buy Apple stock on it's IPO (happy belated birthday Apples IPO),

As to why billionaires are billionaires, no it is not because they are as a rule better at handling their finances. Heck, there was a report back a few years ago that found 40% of billionaires got there by either inheriting the money, or by reinvesting inheritances. In both cases, it probably had more to do with advice from a well paid financial advisor than their own ability to manage finances.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Turris and his wife sound salty

I'm not saying Melnyk is not at fault but both sides seemed to have moved on and Turris throws another bomb

I would be pretty cheesed if we signed Turris for 8 years like he wanted. That's just asking for it. A 2nd line center shouldn't be signed for that long especially after Ryan

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You mean they hire accountants to do that for them? Being wealthy doesn't make you smarter with your money. I won't become better with my money if my salary is doubled, tripled or if I build a time machine and go back 37 years to buy Apple stock on it's IPO (happy belated birthday Apples IPO),

As to why billionaires are billionaires, no it is not because they are as a rule better at handling their finances. Heck, there was a report back a few years ago that found 40% of billionaires got there by either inheriting the money, or by reinvesting inheritances. In both cases, it probably had more to do with advice from a well paid financial advisor than their own ability to manage finances.

You make it seem so easy to become a billionaire ........ just hire some smart advisors, I wonder why more people don't do that, and become billionaires?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad