Kyle Turris: Management wanted to sign me, Ownership didn't

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Kyle's wife's response says it all. She felt she had to get something out there even if it's usually in bad form as a player's partner to make things public. Obviously Dorion was covering Melnyk's butt today, and it really makes this organisation look bad(er).

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I would trade Karlsson to Toronto for 400$ million thats an estimated salary cap for the next 4-5 seasons.

its so sad when a fan has to say that, no fan should ever have to say that.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
“Let’s concentrate on some of the good things I do decide on — like bringing an Outdoor Game to Ottawa."

My Hero! A game I could not get tickets through your site because I didnt want to be a season ticket holder since I live 2 hours away.

“Yes, that was my call — and with a financial guarantee! I guess people quickly forget.”
Just like"
Just like how you want people to forget you destroyed a multi-dollar business because of accounting fraud? Or do you want us to forget that you begged the fans to literally save you when you needed a new liver?

We gave you a liver. Go away.

Last edited:

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
The whole Twitter exchange with Julie was kind of hilarious.

That being said, it was kind of a dick move for Turris to throw gasoline on the fire when the Sens were in one of the worst slumps in franchise history. Like, I get that you hate Eugene but why are you making life more difficult for your former teammates? Also, Dorion traded you to a team that's likely going to compete for a cup this year...you landed on your feet, no need to be petty now.

Reactions: albator71

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

That being said, it was kind of a dick move for Turris to throw gasoline on the fire when the Sens were in one of the worst slumps in franchise history. Like, I get that you hate Eugene but why are you making life more difficult for your former teammates? Also, Dorion traded you to a team that's likely going to compete for a cup this year...you landed on your feet, no need to be petty now.

If anything he made Dorion look better.

I'm all for anyone making Melnyk look like bad.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Too bad for Melnyk they don't allow cash in trades like they did back in the 80s. He could have traded Karlsson to a large market team for a huge sum.

Didn't Melnyk just recently get $13 million or so from LV coming into the NHL? How much money does this guy need? I guess billionaires go through millions rather quickly. I'm always amazed that these guys always seem to be refinancing instead of just paying off the debts like the rest of us do all our lives.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
NHL teams operating income 2017 | Statistic

If this website is correct then the Ottawa Senators operating income for last season was only $10 million. That is operating income not net income so it is possible that the Senators didn't make a profit last season.

Sports teams tend to be poor investments overall. They are basically for billionaires to throw money at for entertainment not for any expectation of return on their investment.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Melnyk said he pays Dorion “big bucks” so that he can manage hockey operations.
“He makes the decisions and only has to get a sign-off from me when it involves the movement of a A or B player — coming in or going out,” Melnyk said. “I can’t remember ever overriding a Pierre Dorion decision.
“He has the grit and the passion to do what is right for the club and right or wrong — he takes the applause and the boos.
He does an excellent job. I am pleased with his performance.”
Melnyk also noted he believes coach Guy Boucher and the staff are doing “a terrific job” and is confident the Senators can get back on track to push for a playoff spot.
He ended his email statement by emphasizing that he’d rather fans and critics to focus on the excitement of having an NHL outdoor game in Ottawa, an event that took a lot of lobbying to make a reality.

Three things I take away from that article are:
-Melnyk thinks by paying Dorian his salary he can use him as a human shield against any negative attention from the media.

-He sounds like he's giving misleading information when saying he can't remember overriding the GM's decision. If you give Dorian a strict mandate from the start, then there would be no need to override him because you've screwed him from the start.

-Last bolded part is a testament to how out of touch he continues to be. Whether it be liberties by the author of the article or what Melnyk actually wrote, it comes off as fans of the Ottawa Senators should be grateful that Melnyk was able to get the outdoor game.

Also, that reference to his kids having first call on the team is annoying to no end.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't like Euge any more than most of you do, but Turris and his agent aren't blameless here. The truth is that he wanted a seven or eight year deal here, and was unwilling to budge on term. He then promptly signed a six year deal in Nashville. If Turris wants to go over old history, maybe he can explain that one. It's also worth noting that contract drama seems to follow Kurt Overhardt, Turris's agent, around. I just thought that it was pretty poor form for Turris to lob a bomb like this - you have your new contract and your new team, so focus on that and look forward, not backward.

Reactions: coladin

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

I don’t think he’s being petty. He was asked a question and he answered it. People always complain athletes are too boring and then when they do say something interesting people complain about that.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Duchene is better doe

No more seeing Turris constantly lose puck battles along the wall

Why not have both? Answer is probably because the Sens are not a rich team but let's say they were :

- Trade Ceci + 1st + Bowers + Englund for Duchene

- Re-sign Turris 7 years x 6.5 per

Hoffman-Turris-Duchene
Ryan-Brassard-Stone
Smith-Pageau-White
Dzingel-Paul-Pyatt

Claesson-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Chabot
Boro-Wideman

Don't sign Burrows and Thompson and then we can certainly afford Kyle

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Duchene is better doe

No more seeing Turris constantly lose puck battles along the wall

Duchene is steadier and stronger on his feet but Turris can dictate pace and slow things down for his teammates which would often create momentum for the team. So both have their strengths and weaknesses. Point is, you don't give up the farm for a lateral move.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
NHL teams operating income 2017 | Statistic

If this website is correct then the Ottawa Senators operating income for last season was only $10 million. That is operating income not net income so it is possible that the Senators didn't make a profit last season.

Sports teams tend to be poor investments overall. They are basically for billionaires to throw money at for entertainment not for any expectation of return on their investment.

The issue has always been that the "Ottawa Senators" do not make money off of the Canadian Tire Centre (which is owned by Melnyk) or the concessions and merchandising IIRC.

So creative accounting makes it look worse than it is.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Duchene is steadier and stronger on his feet but Turris can dictate pace and slow things down for his teammates which would often create momentum for the team. So both have their strengths and weaknesses. Point is, you don't give up the farm for a lateral move.

Bowers and a 1st and a 3rd was giving up the farm?
Not saying it was the best trade they could have made but it certainly could have been worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad