Kyle Turris: Management wanted to sign me, Ownership didn't

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
You make it seem so easy to become a billionaire ........ just hire some smart advisors, I wonder why more people don't do that, and become billionaires?

Probably because it's not exactly 'easy' or necessarily a 'choice' to be born under great financial inheritances. Also, because of how much said greater income earners get more lee-way in NA - hence easier to pass it on and also easier to maintain it or even grow bigger.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You mean they hire accountants to do that for them? Being wealthy doesn't make you smarter with your money. I won't become better with my money if my salary is doubled, tripled or if I build a time machine and go back 37 years to buy Apple stock on it's IPO (happy belated birthday Apples IPO),

As to why billionaires are billionaires, no it is not because they are as a rule better at handling their finances. Heck, there was a report back a few years ago that found 40% of billionaires got there by either inheriting the money, or by reinvesting inheritances. In both cases, it probably had more to do with advice from a well paid financial advisor than their own ability to manage finances.

Even Ray Kroc wouldn't have succeeded without the right financial advices at the right time.

Personally, I am waiting to inherit to buy the Ottawa Senators :sarcasm:

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You make it seem so easy to become a billionaire ........ just hire some smart advisors, I wonder why more people don't do that, and become billionaires?

How do I make it sound easy? I just posted stats suggesting that 40% of billionaires are billionaires largely because of inheritance.

You make it seem like all it takes is being savvy with your money to become a billionaire. Wonder why there aren't more billionaires.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
To bad to see this, wish we could have kept Turris around. Looking at the team's play since he left you can tell he meant a lot to the team.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Between how bad the team is and now this, I'm REALLY starting to lose interest in this team. Haven't watched a game since late Oct.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's a bizarre situation, but I think the connections people are trying to make to the Turris / financial situation, and the Karlsson situation, are a little extreme.

I don't believe for a second that Melnyk is stupid enough to NOT offer Karlsson what he wants.

Remember, first and foremost Melnyk is a business man. Beyond being a smart hockey move, signing Karlsson to a bumper contract would be a very smart business move - Karlsson keeps people in the seats, interest in the team, drives merc, and keeps the fans happy.

That's not something that will be overlooked by Melnyk, I'm sure.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I’m waiting for all the other players to come out with their #metoo moment. I have a feeling that the way Melnyk handles people is going to surface.
Turris is a straight up class act. He had no reason to lie or cause trouble. He just stated what he thought to be true.

sbhatt

Nov 10, 2015
For all those slagging Melnyk, might this Habs fan suggest that overpaying a middle of the road center for term is not a good move. I sure wish Bergevin had traded Tomas Plekanec away rather than re-sign him to a multiyear 6-million per contract. Paying top dollar to retain top talent is smart...doing so to retain middle of the road talent often bites you in the a**. Turris was not worth the money and term he wanted.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
For all those slagging Melnyk, might this Habs fan suggest that overpaying a middle of the road center for term is not a good move. I sure wish Bergevin had traded Tomas Plekanec away rather than re-sign him to a multiyear 6-million per contract. Paying top dollar to retain top talent is smart...doing so to retain middle of the road talent often bites you in the a**. Turris was not worth the money and term he wanted.

A 33 year old signed to a two year deal coming off a 54 point season vs a 28 year old signed to a 6 year deal coming off a 54 point season

Even if you assume identical career trajectories, that would mean Turris would have 5 years of 55 pt seasons ahead of him before he declines like Plekanec has. For a team that's supposedly in win-now mode, five years is probably your window, anyway. Worst case, it gives you time to develop a replacement internally, then you move the contract before the decline really sets in.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

Turris is very likely to hit 70pts this season that's top line centre productions and one of the main reasons duchene was so hyped 70 in 70. He also takes care of himself and is a pro don't see him falling off to much in his mid 30s

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don't like Euge any more than most of you do, but Turris and his agent aren't blameless here. The truth is that he wanted a seven or eight year deal here, and was unwilling to budge on term. He then promptly signed a six year deal in Nashville. If Turris wants to go over old history, maybe he can explain that one. It's also worth noting that contract drama seems to follow Kurt Overhardt, Turris's agent, around. I just thought that it was pretty poor form for Turris to lob a bomb like this - you have your new contract and your new team, so focus on that and look forward, not backward.

This reflects badly on Turris and his saint of a wife. So, everyone despised him in Phoenix, Shane Doan , a great captain had nothing good to say about him at the time leaving. So, he comes here and signs a contract, under market in the end. Plays well , above his pay, but contract time is here and the same Kyle Turris from Phoenix is back. What a smoking deal and, quite clearly to me anyways, this negotiation was more about recouping what he should have been paid the last few years and why him and his agent were being so aggressive with their contract demands.

If I were him, he should be embarrassed and mad at his wife. She should mind her own business like most other privileged hockey wives do. Let him and his agent do the talking.

I liked Turris as a player but his limitations are a major stumbling block for this team going to the next level. Signing him for what he wanted from Ottawa, 7 years plus, is a bad deal. Period. Kyle should enjoy his new surroundings and move on.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
totally agree...signing Turris to 7-8 years is not a smart move he is a good player but not a game breaker or a driver

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I’m waiting for all the other players to come out with their #metoo moment. I have a feeling that the way Melnyk handles people is going to surface.
Turris is a straight up class act. He had no reason to lie or cause trouble. He just stated what he thought to be true.

Exactly, when he left he said all the right things. I'm not sure what type of negotiations happened between his camp and the Sens. It seems to me they may not have gotten much past opening positions. I think he (turris) has heard the repeated Sens excuses of he would not sign here or he would not sign that 6M/6yr deal with us when I don't think it was ever offered and decided to speak out.

From the outside it appears that no serious contract renewal talks ever happened. Turris is basically telling the Sens organization to stop painting him as the bad guy. Sens can trade sign whoever they want but don't blame the guy you did not sign when the trade you made starts looking like a mistake.

Gotta love PD talking in the 3rd person

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

lol I think if you said "2 years" your sentence would look totally different.

Turris is still totally worth the term and money he got in Nashville. Maybe in 5 years he will start to decline (if no other injuries), but I don't think Nashville (my 2nd team with the Jets) will regret it much.

7-8 years in Ottawa like it seemed that Turris wanted would have been risky though.

Reactions: aragorn

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This reflects badly on Turris and his saint of a wife. So, everyone despised him in Phoenix, Shane Doan , a great captain had nothing good to say about him at the time leaving. So, he comes here and signs a contract, under market in the end. Plays well , above his pay, but contract time is here and the same Kyle Turris from Phoenix is back. What a smoking deal and, quite clearly to me anyways, this negotiation was more about recouping what he should have been paid the last few years and why him and his agent were being so aggressive with their contract demands.

If I were him, he should be embarrassed and mad at his wife. She should mind her own business like most other privileged hockey wives do. Let him and his agent do the talking.
He signed a team friendly contract probably as a thank you for taking him out of Arizona and giving him a shot to play top 6 minutes in Ottawa. He scored a bunch of clutch goals and is a leader in the community. That in itself is the payback he gave to the organization. He probably got sick of seeing after all these years how management treats its players and its fans. Who knows what else goes behind the scenes.

If they did enough to make Alfie leave that should give you an indication as to what type of people management are. The constant in all of this is the owner and Dorion since he was here during Murrays era. I have no issue with what Turris said nor his wife. If you have no issue with Dorion backing up his owner than you should have no issue with Turris' wife backing him up.

People are taking his comments wayyyy out of line and making a mountain out of a molehill.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Turris' previous contract with Ottawa was not at all team friendly at the time it was signed. It was a risk/reward type deal that was very safe for Turris.

It was a similar type of deal to the 8 year deal we offered to Cowen that Cowen rejected. Ottawa took on considerable risk when comparing the deal to Turris' resume at the time. Turris developed into a 1st liner for Ottawa, and by the end of the deal it was considered a steal.

Considering the differences in the upper limits of the cap, it'd be similar to if CGY signed Sam Bennett this past off season to a 5 year 4.4M contract instead of a 1.9M bridge deal. Most people would classify that as a risky move by CGY despite Bennett's high draft pedigree.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He signed a team friendly contract probably as a thank you for taking him out of Arizona and giving him a shot to play top 6 minutes in Ottawa. He scored a bunch of clutch goals and is a leader in the community. That in itself is the payback he gave to the organization. He probably got sick of seeing after all these years how management treats its players and its fans. Who knows what else goes behind the scenes.

If they did enough to make Alfie leave that should give you an indication as to what type of people management are. The constant in all of this is the owner and Dorion since he was here during Murrays era. I have no issue with what Turris said nor his wife. If you have no issue with Dorion backing up his owner than you should have no issue with Turris' wife backing him up.

People are taking his comments wayyyy out of line and making a mountain out of a molehill.

lol he got a perfectly fair contract and good value in 2012 when he signed that he had 29 pts in 49 games or something....Ottawa was banking on him improving by giving him more money then his current value and Turris was going for security

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You mean they hire accountants to do that for them? Being wealthy doesn't make you smarter with your money. I won't become better with my money if my salary is doubled, tripled or if I build a time machine and go back 37 years to buy Apple stock on it's IPO (happy belated birthday Apples IPO),

As to why billionaires are billionaires, no it is not because they are as a rule better at handling their finances. Heck, there was a report back a few years ago that found 40% of billionaires got there by either inheriting the money, or by reinvesting inheritances. In both cases, it probably had more to do with advice from a well paid financial advisor than their own ability to manage finances.

that's all true.

but if you look at self made billionaires you'll find most of them rather predatory in their business practices

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Turris' previous contract with Ottawa was not at all team friendly at the time it was signed. It was a risk/reward type deal that was very safe for Turris.

It was a similar type of deal to the 8 year deal we offered to Cowen that Cowen rejected. Ottawa took on considerable risk when comparing the deal to Turris' resume at the time. Turris developed into a 1st liner for Ottawa, and by the end of the deal it was considered a steal.

Considering the differences in the upper limits of the cap, it'd be similar to if CGY signed Sam Bennett this past off season to a 5 year 4.4M contract instead of a 1.9M bridge deal. Most people would classify that as a risky move by CGY despite Bennett's high draft pedigree.

Yep. that's why in a post yesterday I asked what discount on Turris's deal

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

and yet players routinely mention in public how well they are treated by the team

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
that's all true.

but if you look at self made billionaires you'll find most of them rather predatory in their business practices

Sure, that may be true (I honestly don't know), but that doesn't really speak to whether or not being a billionaire correlates to knowing better how to handle your finances.

I'd argue one of the biggest correlations to being a billionaire is linked to risk taking. People unwilling to take financial risks are unlikely to make outlier financial gains.

So, perhaps it's that a small fraction of risk takers strike it big, and then the benefits of having money make it far easier to make more money, rather than billionaires just being better at managing their finances.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sure, that may be true (I honestly don't know), but that doesn't really speak to whether or not being a billionaire correlates to knowing better how to handle your finances.

I'd argue one of the biggest correlations to being a billionaire is linked to risk taking. People unwilling to take financial risks are unlikely to make outlier financial gains.

So, perhaps it's that a small fraction of risk takers strike it big, and then the benefits of having money make it far easier to make more money, rather than billionaires just being better at managing their finances.

it doesn't speat to managing finances. you'r right.

what it speaks to is how Melnyk functions is pretty typical for self made people in his net worth universe.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Turris is very likely to hit 70pts this season that's top line centre productions and one of the main reasons duchene was so hyped 70 in 70. He also takes care of himself and is a pro don't see him falling off to much in his mid 30s

I really don't see how a guy who's surpassed 60 points exactly 1 time is "very likely to hit 70 points". Yeah, he's pacing for it with less than half the season gone on a team that is absolutely rolling right now but no chance that lasts the season. He and his linemate Smith are also both shooting over 16% which is not going to last.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Aside here, but I was paying 17.50 for a large beer in Montreal. Mind you, it was like 700ml which I think is bigger than whatever they serve at CTC but many "20 dollar beer" jokes were made. The wait for beer is way less at the Bell Centre too but the bathroom lines... They have a perfect racket going there.
Went to Montreal to see a game last yr & it was the worst experience ever, will probably never go back.

This is also the second time someone's relative went after Melnyk on twitter after a meeting/negotiation. First Boudreau's daughter and now Turris' wife.

How is this normal?

Didn't Alfredsson's wife not also say something when they left for Detroit?

I think billionaires know a little better than most of us, how to handle their finances............ perhaps that's why they're billionaires, and most of us are not.

Did you ever have a mortgage? If so, did you only pay the scheduled payments, or did you stop spending all other expenses, the "wants" not the "needs" and funnel all that extra money on paying down the principle?

I read a great deal of books on money management & investing when I was in my twenties & had my mortgage paid in 12 yrs.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's a bizarre situation, but I think the connections people are trying to make to the Turris / financial situation, and the Karlsson situation, are a little extreme.

I don't believe for a second that Melnyk is stupid enough to NOT offer Karlsson what he wants.

Remember, first and foremost Melnyk is a business man. Beyond being a smart hockey move, signing Karlsson to a bumper contract would be a very smart business move - Karlsson keeps people in the seats, interest in the team, drives merc, and keeps the fans happy.

That's not something that will be overlooked by Melnyk, I'm sure.
We could have said the same about keeping Alfredsson & he let him go for a lot less. It wouldn't surprise me if they came out & said during the summer that they want to go younger & that they have a stock pile of good young prospects coming & trading Karlsson will add to that cache.

We read on here all the time that they need to play their younger players & adding another one or two top 10 prospects or picks would certainly look like a move in that direction rightly or wrongly. Karlsson is on the team now & they are losing & in one of the worse slumps ever & people are not going to the arena to see him so why would he pay him if they aren't being supported at the gate? It may be time for a change including the captaincy to reinvigorate interest. Stone would make a great captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad