Speculation: Kyle Okposo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
According to TSN690 Okposo has zero interest in coming to Montreal and refused to even look at an envelope from them.

Fallout from the Subban ordeal?

Doubt that, It's been pretty much stated that he has no desire to play in Canada period. Wants to play close to home near Minnesota or somewhere in the Midwest. I guess he could chose Winnipeg still close to home if Minnesota can't afford him i could definitely see both Detroit and St Louis being involved.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Doubt that, It's been pretty much stated that he has no desire to play in Canada period. Wants to play close to home near Minnesota or somewhere in the Midwest. I guess he could chose Winnipeg still close to home if Minnesota can't afford him i could definitely see both Detroit and St Louis being involved.

That's understandable.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think he's a solid player who produced well last 3 years. But had an elite guy on his line in JT. Maybe that skewed his point totals, maybe it didn't. Playing him more than 5.5-6 is too much and with a long term it may be regrettable.

You hit the nail on the head. The money people are talking is crazy stupid.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
Word from one reporter on a local Twin Cities sports show on Sunday night was that Okposo's wife is insisting they move back to Minnesota. My guess is if true that only stands if the Wild offer money close to what other teams are willing to do.

Patrick Reusse's comment was "thank god for Minnesota girls these NHL players marry."

Obviously, both he and his wife are from here.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis

I completely agree; most likely he's looking at in order:

Minnesota
Detroit
St. Louis
Dallas
Colorado
Winnipeg

Chicago would be on there but they have zero cap space to afford signing another player to big money. The Wild might need to clear a contract (most likely a defenseman) to go higher than $6m.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Word from one reporter on a local Twin Cities sports show on Sunday night was that Okposo's wife is insisting they move back to Minnesota. My guess is if true that only stands if the Wild offer money close to what other teams are willing to do.

Patrick Reusse's comment was "thank god for Minnesota girls these NHL players marry."

On a personal level, I would be thrilled if Minnesota signs Okposo. I do know that him and his wife are from there, he has 2 very young children as well. It would be great for him to return home and finally get paid hard.

It seems to me that a top line center is Minnesota's biggest need, why sign yet another winger to a big deal? Also, it's buyer beware with Okposo and he's not the power forward that everyone outside of Isles fans seem to think he is.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Keep him away from the Sabres please.

Amen to that!

care to explain why?

I see him as a perfect compliment to ROR.

Maybe style-wise but at age 28 and being an average skater.....

He's going to get 7 years x 7.5 million

...that kind of contract offer is destined to be an anchor around a team's neck. Just by the nature of how Okposo plays and with his past injury history, he's destined to break down in 2-3 years and be a shell of himself by the time his contract would end at age 35.

No thanks on the Buffalo side. Let the Leafs or Wings sign him as a consolation prize to Stamkos.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Yeah, that really worked out with Vanek.....:laugh:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Vanek wasn't as terrible as it could have been. He was so desperate to sign in Minnesota, he only signed for 3 years. Imagine if he was given a 5-6 year deal, now that would have been even more of a disaster.

If Minnesota gives Okposo a 7 year deal, ouch man.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Vanek wasn't as terrible as it could have been. He was so desperate to sign in Minnesota, he only signed for 3 years. Imagine if he was given a 5-6 year deal, now that would have been even more of a disaster.

Maybe so - but a buyout in the 2nd of a 3 year deal isn't a ringing endorsement of a good signing either IMO.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Maybe so - but a buyout in the 2nd of a 3 year deal isn't a ringing endorsement of a good signing either IMO.

The buyout is of the 3rd and final year.

Don't get me wrong, Vanek to Minnesota didn't turn out well at all. Just saying that it could have been much worse. I thank the hockey gods that he turned the Isles down when Snow offered him 7x7, what a bullet dodged there. Whew.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

If Minnesota gives Okposo a 7 year deal, ouch man.

You're both right. If we turn back the clock a couple of years, everyone on HF was congratulating the Wild on the reasonable deal they signed Vanek for.

A 6/36M deal for KO would be potentially disasterous. He is nowhere near the scorer that Vanek was in his prime.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis

The Wild were smart with the Vanek contract. For a scorer entering his 30 y/o season and getting him for 3 years was a good move it just didn't work here. By the way the Suter/Parise signings worked out just fine. I would give Okposo 5 or 6 years at $5.8-6.2 per.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The Wild were smart with the Vanek contract. For a scorer entering his 30 y/o season and getting him for 3 years was a good move it just didn't work here. By the way the Suter/Parise signings worked out just fine. I would give Okposo 5 or 6 years at $5.8-6.2 per.

I'm pretty sure Okposo won't be accepting a 5-year deal. It's been reported that term was the stumbling block for the Isles, not the money. You're looking at minimum 6 years and probably 7 considering he's the premier UFA forward with Stamkos off the market. The money is probably at least $6M too. Maybe he accepts 6 years if he gets an NMC, but I don't think anyone seriously wanting him would hesitate at all giving him that security of an NMC with expansion looming.

You can play up the 'going home' thing as much as you want, it won't really bring down the price as he's the top dog of UFA now.

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013

Vanek's buyout has more to do with Pomminville than Vanek. They can't afford to buyout Pomminville, so Vanek had to take his place on the chopping block.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
care to explain why?

I see him as a perfect compliment to ROR.

I dont...here is why...

1. Don't see him as anything special. I look at him like a drew Stafford type.

2. Buffalo has a ton of young wingers in the pipeline.

3. Him Making 7M per causes e the same problem as 10M for Stamkos. You can't be paying 7M or more to 4 forwards 9n one team.

SemONER*

Jun 25, 2016
I'd give him 7x7 from New Jersey... very easily. We still have ~$28M in cap space.

Hall-Henrique-Palmieri
Cammalleri-Zajac-Okposo

I need fresh underwear.

That is literally a complete 180 from what we've been dealing with for the past ~2 seasons.

Lol. That still isn't a great top 6. Average at best.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Amen to that!

Maybe style-wise but at age 28 and being an average skater.....

...that kind of contract offer is destined to be an anchor around a team's neck. Just by the nature of how Okposo plays and with his past injury history, he's destined to break down in 2-3 years and be a shell of himself by the time his contract would end at age 35.

No thanks on the Buffalo side. Let the Leafs or Wings sign him as a consolation prize to Stamkos.

Okposo is a very good skater, not sure how well you know him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN

big barf.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
What is it with hockey players wives these days determining where they end up? First Suter & Parise, now possibly Okposo? Interesting...

Hahah spoken like an unmarried man. Happy wife happy life

it's all fun and games till the kids come along. Methinks wifey is going nuts being stuck with the kids during long road trips, and wants some family support back in MN. I'm sure the Granparents aren't exactly poo-pooing the idea, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad