Speculation: Kyle Okposo

Status
Not open for further replies.

devils61

Jan 8, 2007
Hoping this will centralize any Okposo Talk.

some rumours below, feel free to add anything that becomes public.

Bleacher Report:

According to Newsday's Arthur Staple, the Red Wings, St. Louis Blues, Los Angeles Kings, Minnesota Wild and Winnipeg Jets are all potential suitors for the talented winger.

If the Red Wings come up empty in their pursuit of Steven Stamkos—whom they intend to go after, according to the Detroit News' Ted Kulfan—28-year-old Kyle Okposo will be worth a look by the team's front office.

Puck Daddy:

"So where is he headed? A brief list of Kyle Okposo suitors, as reported in several places:

Arizona Coyotes – We’ve heard, anecdotally, that the Coyotes like Okposo in a big way, and obviously he helps out their young forwards in a variety of ways. Also, we hear they have a dollar or two of cap space.

Buffalo Sabres – Okposo’s status here is probably linked to that of Steven Stamkos, but he’s an interesting option. A veteran right wing to flank Jack Eichel as he blossoms like Tavares did while playing with Okposo? Hmmm….

Detroit Red Wings – Like other teams, this is a Stamkos-influenced pursuit as well. Again, he’d be an asset for the collection of young forwards that the Wings are amassing. Winging It In Motown has more.

Los Angeles Kings – Did they let Milan Lucic walk to use that salary space for Okposo, arguably a better fit for what they do under Darryl Sutter?

Minnesota Wild – Okposo is a Saint Paul native who would like to follow in the footsteps of Zach Parise and go home again. They have $14 million in cap space with 36 players under contract. They also need a center like Minnesotans need a winter coat, but whatever, it's not like they haven't signed big free-agent wingers despite that need. (They just bought out one, in fact.)

St. Louis Blues – Obviously they need to see how Troy Brouwer, David Backes and especially the Kevin Shattenkirk situations play out. But Arthur Staple puts them in the mix.

Winnipeg Jets – The Jets have reached out to Okposo already, and don’t discount the fact that he’s boys with Blake Wheeler, his University of Minnesota Golden Gophers teammate. Also the Jets landing a big free agent fish would be advantageous on several fronts.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
From Friedman's 30 thoughts:

JgfPPIj.jpg

If that's what people think that Okposo is going to get, then consider us out. Looks more like Buffalo or Detroit.

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
not to play with Eichel...

put him on the right side of ROR and Kane on the LW.

that strikes me as a very difficult line to play against.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
From what i've been seeing it looks like Okposo would love to play close to home near Minnesota or play in the Midwest, If the Wild can't afford to sign him i could see teams like Detroit and St Louis involved. Heard that he really doesn't want to play in Canada but he might chose Winnipeg because it's still close to home. I can't see him in either Arizona or LA not sure how LA could even afford him considering he could be seeking around $7 million per and if LA couldn't afford Lucic then there's no way they can afford Okposo but i guess if money talks and team like Arizona would give him tons of money then i guess you never know.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I'd love him on the Jets, however at a reasonable price. I think 7 per year is too much. It's true with Stamkos signing it will make the competition much more greater for his services, however I wonder if Stamkos signing for 8.5 will have any effect on the FA's price? I'd be ok with him at 6, maybe 6.5. With how things played out last year for FA, i think we'll see a trend start with teams not rushing out to hand out big money and long term, then again maybe I'm out to lunch.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
If St. Louis isn't bringing back either of Brouwer or Backes I could see them making a massive push for Okposo.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'd give him 7x7 from New Jersey... very easily. We still have ~$28M in cap space.

Hall-Henrique-Palmieri
Cammalleri-Zajac-Okposo

I need fresh underwear.

That is literally a complete 180 from what we've been dealing with for the past ~2 seasons.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No interest in the Jets paying a guy like him top money. Pass

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
As a Jets fan, i'd be very ok giving okposo 6 or 7 years at 6 or 6.5 million. Guy is extremely underrated and is way better than people give him credit for.

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler

Laine Little Okposo

Is a damn deadly top 6

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If Okposo was willing to accept 6X6 he would have been re-signed already. He's absolutely going to get 7/49 or more if it's somewhere else.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He's going to get 7 years x 7.5 million

I don't know if it gets to $7.5M AAV. I think everyone knows he's going to get paid hard, but the term and the NMC are probably the biggest things for him. Reports are the Isles didn't balk at the money, they balked at the term and making that type of commitment to him. He's got a very young family, the security should be his priority.

I'm thinking 7 years at $6.5M/per with a NMC.

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
I think he's a solid player who produced well last 3 years. But had an elite guy on his line in JT. Maybe that skewed his point totals, maybe it didn't. Playing him more than 5.5-6 is too much and with a long term it may be regrettable.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think he's a solid player who produced well last 3 years. But had an elite guy on his line in JT. Maybe that skewed his point totals, maybe it didn't. Playing him more than 5.5-6 is too much and with a long term it may be regrettable.

Okposo and Tavares didn't play together a lot.

Okposo racks up points but he's not the guy everyone seems to think he is. He's not a 30 goal scoring powder forwRd that people keep calling him. He's a good passer and has a decent shot. He makes a lot of mistakes and turnovers.

He's actually more of a finesse player than power forward.

High character and great teammate

All in all, he's worth less than 6.5 but with the way the market is and teams willing to bid and spend big I can see him making a lot of $$$

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If Okposo was willing to accept 6X6 he would have been re-signed already. He's absolutely going to get 7/49 or more if it's somewhere else.

After missing out on the Stamkos sweepstakes, I could see Holland being desperate. I could easily see Holland offering Okposo around 7/49 though i hope not but he does have money to burn and can afford to give that much to Okposo and still add decent players to the roster.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
There's a reason why Snow doesn't want to extend KO for 7 years at that cap hit. This isn't the case where a player wants to test the market and rejects GM's offers - it's a case where the GM learns what the player wants to resign and chooses to break off negotiations.

I absolutely see him as one of those guys who signs the big deal and then in 1-3 years this forum is full of trade offers to get him "back to the Islanders" or some other proposal to remove him from your squad.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
There's a reason why Snow doesn't want to extend KO for 7 years at that cap hit. This isn't the case where a player wants to test the market and rejects GM's offers - it's a case where the GM learns what the player wants to resign and chooses to break off negotiations.

I absolutely see him as one of those guys who signs the big deal and then in 1-3 years this forum is full of trade offers to get him "back to the Islanders" or some other proposal to remove him from your squad.

The optics and expectations are different when a player is a bargain ($2.8M cap hit) and when he is paid market rate (a.k.a. overpaid). You put up with a lot more and overlook warts more when he's cheap. Look at AMac from 550K to $5M as an example.

I love Okposo and what he's done/meant to the Isles. I'm very happy that he's going to get paid hard for him and his young family. The guy is aces in terms of character and has been a great soldier. I will not shed a single tear when he signs elsewhere though.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
According to TSN690 Okposo has zero interest in coming to Montreal and refused to even look at an envelope from them.

Fallout from the Subban ordeal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad