Speculation: Kyle Okposo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
No thanks on the Buffalo side. Let the Leafs or Wings sign him as a consolation prize to Stamkos.

I'm pretty confident the Leafs have absolutely no interest in Okposo. It was always Stamkos or nothing. They'll be quiet with signings tomorrow.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
DET would make sense for both him and Frans. Ironically him sign could potentially make a Nyquist availible. I'd love for the isles to trade for Nyquist.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Vanek wasn't as terrible as it could have been. He was so desperate to sign in Minnesota, he only signed for 3 years. Imagine if he was given a 5-6 year deal, now that would have been even more of a disaster.

If Minnesota gives Okposo a 7 year deal, ouch man.

If it was 5-6 years, he wouldn't gotten anything close to $6.5M so we probably would've just held onto him let do his ~20 goal thing for the next few years.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I wonder if he'd take something like 7 x $5M instead of 6 x $6M (assuming that this is what he'll get). Gets an extra year of security and "only" leaves $1M on the table. $5M is a bit more doable.

If he's targeting $7M+, then scratch this.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I wonder if he'd take something like 7 x $5M instead of 6 x $6M (assuming that this is what he'll get). Gets an extra year of security and "only" leaves $1M on the table. $5M is a bit more doable.

If he's targeting $7M+, then scratch this.

Why would you take less money for more years? Maybe you should say hey maybe he will take 37M over 7 years instead of 36 over 6, then at least he has an incentive

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
If he only wanted $6 mill a year, the isles would have probably re-signed him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Benn-Seguin-Okposo

This should happen

That's the best possible destination and cast for Okposo.

In fact, when ever I describe Okposo I always use Benn and Seguin as an example of the type of firstine that Okposo should play on.

He can't be the go to scorer or first option on a first line. If he's the 3rd wheel that would be the most ideal ace for him and the game he plays.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Would love to sign Okposo.

Neal - Johansen - Okposo

That would be a nice top line, and Okposo would be the smallest of the three.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Those last couple posts are exactly why I hate the ****ing Central Divison. :laugh:

Oh come on now. Nashville wouldn't be unstoppable or anything. Not with Forsberg, Johansen, Neal, Okposo, Smith, Subban, Josi, Ellis and Ekholm. They'd still need to add a warm body to the second line as center.

:naughty:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
That's the best possible destination and cast for Okposo.

In fact, when ever I describe Okposo I always use Benn and Seguin as an example of the type of firstine that Okposo should play on.

He can't be the go to scorer or first option on a first line. If he's the 3rd wheel that would be the most ideal ace for him and the game he plays.

Here's the rub with Okposo, he's a bad 2nd or 3rd wheel. He LOVES handling the puck, he won't give it up once he gets it too. He also has very questionable hockey sense with brutal decisions so he is prone to a mountain of turnovers. It's quite amazing how many plays die on his stick. You don't get the nickname OkpoSUCK, SUCKPoso, Dumdum21 for nothing.

He's a puck hog and gets tunnel vision with the puck while also being a major defensive liability. Benn and Seguin would be like 'WTF' for most of the game until that one play where it works and he gets his ninja point. Tavares routinely got stuck down low in the offensive zone expecting a pass or simple cycle that never comes because Okposo is too busy over handling the puck with his dipsy doodle toe drag crap and then eventual turnover. Okposo is a bad fit to pair with a star player because he thinks he's the star player on the line and doesn't defer puck handling duties.

Okposo is more suited to drive the bus for his own line on a lower line where he can handle the puck to his heart's content. Make sure he's paired with 2 defensively responsible wingers. He always had success with Nielsen and Bailey because they were ok with deferring to him. He's also a puck hog on the PP too, so be aware of that.

He needs to get it out of his head that he's a skill finesse forward. When he simplifies his game, he can be a major force. Those flashes are less and less. He'll be on fire for 10 games and then disappear for the next 10.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He needs to get it out of his head that he's a skill finesse forward. When he simplifies his game, he can be a major force. Those flashes are less and less. He'll be on fire for 10 games and then disappear for the next 10.

He's signing with the wings for sure.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Here's the rub with Okposo, he's a bad 2nd or 3rd wheel. He LOVES handling the puck, he won't give it up once he gets it too. He also has very questionable hockey sense with brutal decisions so he is prone to a mountain of turnovers. It's quite amazing how many plays die on his stick. You don't get the nickname OkpoSUCK, SUCKPoso, Dumdum21 for nothing.

He's a puck hog and gets tunnel vision with the puck while also being a major defensive liability. Benn and Seguin would be like 'WTF' for most of the game until that one play where it works and he gets his ninja point. Tavares routinely got stuck down low in the offensive zone expecting a pass or simple cycle that never comes because Okposo is too busy over handling the puck with his dipsy doodle toe drag crap and then eventual turnover. Okposo is a bad fit to pair with a star player because he thinks he's the star player on the line and doesn't defer puck handling duties.

Okposo is more suited to drive the bus for his own line on a lower line where he can handle the puck to his heart's content. Make sure he's paired with 2 defensively responsible wingers. He always had success with Nielsen and Bailey because they were ok with deferring to him. He's also a puck hog on the PP too, so be aware of that.

I think he needs a coach to drill into him to stop doing half the things he does, while do the other half of the stuff he does more often. If a coach can get him to stop doing a few things that you mentioned he might be well worth his contract

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I am honestly expecting the Devils to make a big offer tomorrow. We have the most cap space in the league I believe... If he signs, our top six will be:

Hall-Henrique-Okposo
Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri

Pretty darn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad