Speculation: Kyle Okposo

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think he needs a coach to drill into him to stop doing half the things he does, while do the other half of the stuff he does more often. If a coach can get him to stop doing a few things that you mentioned he might be well worth his contract

Okposo started working with the same skills coach that Tavares uses for several years now, it's no coincidence that Okposo's game changed dramatically from a semi-power forward to a full blown skill finesse forward during that time. I'd like to think that a good coach can wake his ass up like you mention, but it seems like a conscious choice on his part to play this way. Capuano never held him accountable so he never felt any pressure to change his ways because he was going to get his primo ES/PP ice time no matter how brutal he was playing. Maybe his next coach won't be so forgiving and he'll get a clue that he's not Tavares and can't pull off the high degree of difficulty moves that he can.

When Okposo is bad, he's a net minus despite putting up stats. For every point, you have to put up with like 10 dumbass plays that short circuit offensive chances and result in turnovers. He can be an abomination all game and then pull one play out his ass to get on the scoreboard so it looks like he had a successful night to the stat watchers. His ability to ninja points is absolutely elite.

When he's good, he can be white hot and put up like 9 points in 6 games. The stars align and his moves work and his usually inaccurate shot (his release is as slow as molasses) snipes corners. His game is simplified and he is a major force. Then the dual Suns of Endor go out of alignment and he reverts back to his dumbass play.

His inconsistency and style of play is absolutely maddening.

He's also elite at hitting the post and that's called the Ok-Post-O for those that don't know about that.

devils61

Jan 8, 2007
Arthur StapleVerified account
‏@StapeNewsday
In 12 hours, the frenzy begins. Sounds as if Kyle Okposo has pared his list all the way down. Should be one of the first signings at noon.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Word from one reporter on a local Twin Cities sports show on Sunday night was that Okposo's wife is insisting they move back to Minnesota. My guess is if true that only stands if the Wild offer money close to what other teams are willing to do.

Patrick Reusse's comment was "thank god for Minnesota girls these NHL players marry."

Obviously, both he and his wife are from here.

yeah I bet Vaneks wife is crunching the numbers of that isles 7x7m offer while her hubby just got his ass bought out .

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
The idea that a 20-goal scorer like Okposo could draw 7 mil a year is madness.

Can't wait to see the posts crying about his enter the zone and peel off to the boards move 10 times a game.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The idea that a 20-goal scorer like Okposo could draw 7 mil a year is madness.

Can't wait to see the posts crying about his enter the zone and peel off to the boards move 10 times a game.

I think you are underselling Okposo's offensive output. I would say he is a 25G-40a type of guy. 40 assists isn't to shabby

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
I think you are underselling Okposo's offensive output. I would say he is a 25G-40a type of guy. 40 assists isn't to shabby

That's depending on who he's with (and at 7 mil, he's got to be the focus.)

There there's the deficient defensive game and the black hole he is on the powerplay.

The only thing is, with a real coach, he may just be worth it. I would be happy to see that for him.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I am honestly expecting the Devils to make a big offer tomorrow. We have the most cap space in the league I believe... If he signs, our top six will be:

Hall-Henrique-Okposo
Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri

Pretty darn good.

I seriously doubt that he's going to resign with a East Coast team seeing that his Wife is pretty adamant about wanting to move back home to Minnesota he will most likely chose a team close to Minnesota. At least i will be shocked if he signs with an east coast team any ways.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
A couple of posts made by the local sports radio guys on Okposo saying that Okposo made up his mind last night, and should be one of the first signings today.

DarkHorse

Go Banana!
Jul 15, 2003
A couple of posts made by the local sports radio guys on Okposo saying that Okposo made up his mind last night, and should be one of the first signings today.

Isles beat writer said same thing, so I would say it's pretty much a lock. He doesn't speculate much.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
That's depending on who he's with (and at 7 mil, he's got to be the focus.)

There there's the deficient defensive game and the black hole he is on the powerplay.

The only thing is, with a real coach, he may just be worth it. I would be happy to see that for him.

Okposo had no accountability with Capuano, he got his primo ice time and #1PP duty no matter how brutal he was for most of the game. When KO would pull off his 1 or 2 successful play (for that 2nd assist no less), it would kind of justify sticking with him in Cappy's mind. A new coach may not be as forgiving if he's turning over the puck and making brutal decisions all game.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Makes total sense.

I'll be floored if KO doesn't get at least 7mill a season

He's probably the top UFA on the market, he'll get it. I feel for whoever gives it to him though. He is not what everyone outside of Isles fans think he is, he's not a power forward. He's a skill finesse forward who is built like a brickhouse that won't use it.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
He's probably the top UFA on the market, he'll get it. I feel for whoever gives it to him though. He is not what everyone outside of Isles fans think he is, he's not a power forward. He's a skill finesse forward who is built like a brickhouse that won't use it.

Sounds like a drew Stafford type....

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
On the bright side if he bombs Mckenzie just gave us a great nickname for him with this typo.

Okposo has a ton of nicknames already. If he does get that contract from Buffalo, you'll learn them pretty quick.

I'm sure you're familiar with Evander Kane's game, right? Okposo is very similar, some great tools with no hockey IQ. He is more suited to drive the bus on his own line away from Eichel, R'OR is probably a better fit. He'll hog the puck from Eichel and you'll want to tear your hair out because of it. There's a reason why he was taken off of JT's wing many times and for most of last season.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
For 7mil a year....Knock yourselves out Buffalo.

That contract is going to be an anchor and god knows MN has enough of those contracts.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The issue I have with buffalo signing KO to a large 7 yr deal is it will handcuff them in a few years.

4 yrs is more tolerable because when it ends Buffalo will have a bunch of kids in their system being due a 3rd contract after ELC and bridge.

in 18/19 you have eichel and Reinhart signed to second contracts at $6M+ each

Then ROR, OK, Eichel , and Reinhart add up to around $28M. If the cap is $77M of which $44M are for forwards that leaves $16M for 10 forwards. That's 6 on ELCs/$1M per contracts and 4 on $2.5M avg contracts.

If ROR and OK are on 7 yr contracts, this takes up one year of the UFA years for the 2013 picks. Why I wish ROR was just 6 years....his contract ends when these kids hit their UFA years.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
The issue I have with buffalo signing KO to a large 7 yr deal is it will handcuff them in a few years.

4 yrs is more tolerable because when it ends Buffalo will have a bunch of kids in their system being due a 3rd contract after ELC and bridge.

in 18/19 you have eichel and Reinhart signed to second contracts at $6M+ each

Then ROR, OK, Eichel , and Reinhart add up to around $28M. If the cap is $77M of which $44M are for forwards that leaves $16M for 10 forwards. That's 6 on ELCs/$1M per contracts and 4 on $2.5M avg contracts.

If ROR and OK are on 7 yr contracts, this takes up one year of the UFA years for the 2013 picks. Why I wish ROR was just 6 years....his contract ends when these kids hit their UFA years.

That's the cost of playing the game though, you can't sign solid FAs to nice contracts anymore. You either overpay or don't get anything. And unless we want to wait 2 more years to do much of anything, we have to add to our top 6. And as we've seen with other teams in cap trouble, there are always teams looking for a cap hit for the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad