Injury Report: Kulikov Back Surgery - update (Decided Not To Have Surgery - new timeline 3-4 weeks)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
i wouldn't mind calling up Nogier or Niku to, in the very least, take part in a few NHL practices. if you're hoping for a deep playoff run, i wouldn't mind those guys to not have any risk of stage fright.

that being said, having Poolman and Morrow as your 7th and 8th d-men, i'm not that overly worried.

what's up with the Jets and history of d-men with back issues? Clitty and Kulikov...

We have already used at least three callups. We are only allowed 4. We are unlikely to use one to bring up another dman just to have three in the press box. What if we have more forward injuries?

They may call someone up after the road trip if they want to rest someone or give someone their first NHL game. They won't do that now.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
What is Enstroms' status? Day to day?

Morrissey - Trouba
Chairot - Byfuglien
Enstrom - Myers

Morrow and Poolman as the extras. That is still a very good D.

If those 6 are healthy for the playoffs, itll be a minor miracle. I will be a happy camper though.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Its surprising to me that you never see late season trades. You'd have to think their are plenty of occasions where it might be worthwhile to pick an extra D even just for the regular season to rest your regulars.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
If those 6 are healthy for the playoffs, itll be a minor miracle. I will be a happy camper though.

Buff, Trouba and Morrissey hopefully stay healthy and can handle big minutes - the rest are interchangeable with the extras.
I prefer to see Enstrom and Chairot switch places. Myers with Toby would be pretty soft.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Its surprising to me that you never see late season trades. You'd have to think their are plenty of occasions where it might be worthwhile to pick an extra D even just for the regular season to rest your regulars.

Yeah, I'm surprised more teams lower in the standings don't make a move, to just try and MAKE the playoffs. I mean, yeah, it'll suck you can't use your pickup in the playoffs, but it sucks to miss even more.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Kuli has been a solid player for us. Worth the contract.

Back injuries can really linger. I feel for him, as because of this he'll take a major hit on his next paycheque.
His contract is pretty poor value for a #6.

He's good in that role, but he hasn't looked great when he's been asked when asked to do more.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Myers and Kuli were an excellent 3rd pairing but look at the caphit.
I have no problem with Kuli's contract as I think he can move up into the 2nd pairing in a pinch better than cough it up Myers can.
Let's hope the surgery is successful and he comes back next fall healthy and is ready for
another season.
Can Chevy call up Niku and take a look at him as an emergency recall?

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Instead of losing million dollar hockey players why don't they hire a door man to open and properly close the door.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Too bad, Kuli was a nice addition and a good upgrade on Chiarot in some key areas. Chiarot has been playing fine but Kuli is better for the Jets transition game. I don't think Chiarot covers for Myers shortcomings as well as Kulikov, if that's the way Maurice decides to go, which I hope it is regardless. Morrissey-Trouba, Buff-Enstrom need to see as much of the ice as possible in the playoffs. Can't have one of Myers or Chiarot playing top 4 minutes at the expense of any of the others.

I have a slightly different philosophy here. I say you play the bag off of Morrissey and Trouba, and then roll with Buff Chia and Enstrom Myers.

I like this for a few reasons:
  • You don't have your 2 weakest defenders on the ice at the same time
  • Both Toby and Myers and Buff and Chiarot have had chemistry
  • You give both guys a good puck mover to help with zone recovery and exits.

The way that Chiarot has been playing, I do not mind he and Buff getting second pair minutes. That could be a big physical pair for us, and, as crazy as it seems, I'd even try Chia on PP2 to see if he could get some of those shots through, especially since teams have been focused on our down low plays (seam pass and slot bump).

Myers simply needs to play better. I wish I could get inside his head and flip whatever switch that is, but when he's determined you can see why scouts salivated over him, and why the Jets wanted him. He just doesn't play like that often enough to slot into the top four or carry a partner.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I have a slightly different philosophy here. I say you play the bag off of Morrissey and Trouba, and then roll with Buff Chia and Enstrom Myers.

I like this for a few reasons:
  • You don't have your 2 weakest defenders on the ice at the same time
  • Both Toby and Myers and Buff and Chiarot have had chemistry
  • You give both guys a good puck mover to help with zone recovery and exits.

The way that Chiarot has been playing, I do not mind he and Buff getting second pair minutes. That could be a big physical pair for us, and, as crazy as it seems, I'd even try Chia on PP2 to see if he could get some of those shots through, especially since teams have been focused on our down low plays (seam pass and slot bump).

Myers simply needs to play better. I wish I could get inside his head and flip whatever switch that is, but when he's determined you can see why scouts salivated over him, and why the Jets wanted him. He just doesn't play like that often enough to slot into the top four or carry a partner.
Fair enough, I just want my top 4 D on the ice as much as possible, shelter the bottom pair and hope for the best. I have no problem with Chia's physical play but the Jets puck movement is effected with him on the ice so much, even with Buff.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
...having Poolman and Morrow as your 7th and 8th d-men, i'm not that overly worried.

...Morrow and Poolman as the extras. That is still a very good D.

Yup. Again, I think we are expecting way too much from depth defensemen. I'd bet practically every teams fans in the NHL complain about their 7/8 guys (and usually their 5/6 too). There's a reason they are there - either inexperience, or flaws in their game.

Poolman and Morrow will be fine. I haven't really minded Morrow anyway - he makes mistakes, sure - but I'm not seeing much for egregious errors out there. Poolman has been a pleasant surprise, but he's made a lot of the same mistakes that Morrow gets bashed for

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Fair enough, I just want my top 4 D on the ice as much as possible, shelter the bottom pair and hope for the best. I have no problem with Chia's physical play but the Jets puck movement is effected with him on the ice so much, even with Buff.
Even now, though? He's been making a lot more direct passes, and icing the puck less (eye test no stats). I feel like the game has slowed down a bit for him and he's panicking less and taking that extra second to wait for the lane to open up.

Watching Trouba in his return was magical. He has his head up, facing the play with the puck in his own zone. He delays that extra second for the forward to do his flyby and that lane to open up and then it's one quick pass and out.

I really appreciate that because, though I am an old f***er that part of my game as a defensemen has gotten so much better in the past 5 years. I am slower and less agile, but I am way more patient and I'm not facing the glass or looking down. It changes the way forwards attack you.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Even now, though? He's been making a lot more direct passes, and icing the puck less (eye test no stats). I feel like the game has slowed down a bit for him and he's panicking less and taking that extra second to wait for the lane to open up.

Watching Trouba in his return was magical. He has his head up, facing the play with the puck in his own zone. He delays that extra second for the forward to do his flyby and that lane to open up and then it's one quick pass and out.

I really appreciate that because, though I am an old ****er that part of my game as a defensemen has gotten so much better in the past 5 years. I am slower and less agile, but I am way more patient and I'm not facing the glass or looking down. It changes the way forwards attack you.
He's been better but he still can't outskate a forecheck like Enstrom, or retrieve and exit as quickly and I still don't love his gap game, especially on the PK. He's almost always a good 3-4 feet inside the blue line when the opposition enters the zone. That's not to knock him, he's been fine for a 7 D, but he simply doesn't bring the type of game that best suits the Jets style of play compared to the others.

Trouba is such a tremendous player, he holds the line so well and I love watching him wheel, using the net to close off the forechecker, he's a master at it, probably from watching Toby.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
His contract is pretty poor value for a #6.

He's good in that role, but he hasn't looked great when he's been asked when asked to do more.

Kuli has been good at times but your right his contract is overpayment for what he brings, the gap between Kuli and guys like Morrissey and Trouba is great but the gap between Kuli and guys like Chariot and Morrow isn't that big but the contract sure is!

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Kuli has been good at times but your right his contract is overpayment for what he brings, the gap between Kuli and guys like Morrissey and Trouba is great but the gap between Kuli and guys like Chariot and Morrow isn't that big but the contract sure is!
the contract is theoretically irrelevant when you're paying your #1 and #2 d-men as if they are your 5-8 d-men

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad