Injury Report: Kulikov Back Surgery - update (Decided Not To Have Surgery - new timeline 3-4 weeks)

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Saw that before. Not clear. Kuli consulted, and then opted for 'other treatment' is pretty vague. It doesn't explain the criteria he used in making his decision - not surprising, it is a personal decision about his health and his career.

It could be many different things. Maybe the Dr said there was little danger of making it worse, so why not try and play. Or maybe the Dr advised him to have the surgery and he chose to reject the Dr's advice. We don't know and probably never will.

Like I said before, I just hope it is a good decision. For all concerned.
giphy.gif

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Heading into next year i hope we can acquire one more top 4 NHL d-man....the injury histories are becoming too concerning for me..

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Good to hear he might be back sooner, assuming that this has no negative repercussions in the future
Hopefully he has a speedy recovery

thistleswamp

Second Overall
Jun 7, 2011
Deloraine
Easy boys, play nice.
why someone would call into question Kulikov's decision making regarding his health is beyond me, however, as a family physician, it is not uncommon for people to go against my advice.
and then sometimes, a medical decision can boil down to a matter of personal preference.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
There was actually a core player in Ässät few years ago whose back problems came to a point where doctors said that he needs a back surgery or he is in danger to be paralyzed by any future hit. He asked for another opinion and found out that it might be possible to rehab it by strengthening core muscles. So he started yoga and other stuff with an instructor and played two or three good seasons before he ended his career after some injury (a couple of months before he turned 36 yo).
I don't know how Kuli's problems relate to that, but just thought to mention that something similar has been done before succesfully by a pro hockey player. My guess is thay Kuli tries to fight it till the end of this season and take the surgery then.

Reactions: FinJetster

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If I was Kulikov -- I would not have an operation on my back, providing that resting it would bring it back to normal when the swelling goes down, or the back re-alligns on it's own. If it does not self-heal -only then would I consider an operation.

A lot of these back operations make things worse, and then your screwed. Look at Tiger Woods--3 or 4 back operations and still in great pain, and couldn't get out of bed. He finally had a disc "fused" and it seems to be working, and he says he's pain free. Bear in mind he won't have 230 lb guys ramming him into the boards. Tiger is on the "comeback" trail now.

Reactions: Cellee

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
When can we expect him back in the line up? Last I heard he's decided not to have back surgery and would be out only a few weeks, which seemed to fit in line with when the playoffs start.

I love Kuli's mobility and puck moving, IMO Myers has struggled since Kuli has been out and I think that pairing fits well together.

Let's hope he's back skating soon?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Strange that I cannot seem to find anything about a return date, or time frame.

i swore it was re-written that his non-surgery option would still take him to be out until next season

Including Aavco's earlier post that had some Kuli timelines. With surgery, it was going to be 8 weeks minimum. Without surgery: 3-4 weeks.

Given that was posted March 19th, that would put the timeframe at or around April 12-19th.

Reactions: kanadalainen

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
was told by someone in the media that Kulikov's injury's relatively tight lipped. coming back for the playoffs is not being ruled out, but there's zero info on progress.
seeing that he's not back skating with the team, i assume he's out for the 1st round. likely more.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Yes, with this sort of thing they'll keep re evaluating. It's even possible they'll still end up doing surgery

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Strange that I cannot seem to find anything about a return date, or time frame.

Maurice gave a 4 week timeline on march 19. It was not clear if that timeline was just before return to skating or return to play. Most likely just beginning conditioning.

4 weeks would be Apr 16

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Well it's been 4 weeks as of tomorrow so I hope we hear an announcement in the next few days. It will have also have been nealy 6 weeks since the injury occurred so if he is not back in the next few weeks assuming the jets make it to the next round he might as well have had the back surgery...what with the 8 week recovery time and all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->