Injury Report: Kulikov Back Surgery - update (Decided Not To Have Surgery - new timeline 3-4 weeks)

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Yup. Again, I think we are expecting way too much from depth defensemen. I'd bet practically every teams fans in the NHL complain about their 7/8 guys (and usually their 5/6 too). There's a reason they are there - either inexperience, or flaws in their game.

Poolman and Morrow will be fine. I haven't really minded Morrow anyway - he makes mistakes, sure - but I'm not seeing much for egregious errors out there. Poolman has been a pleasant surprise, but he's made a lot of the same mistakes that Morrow gets bashed for

I agree, and actually prefer Morrow over Poolman on the ice right now. Poolman makes quite a lot of mistakes, which is ok, but right now we are gearing up for the playoffs. Chiarot is genuinely good and will get even better with the ice time he’s now been given.

Reactions: Jet and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I agree, and actually prefer Morrow over Poolman on the ice right now. Poolman makes quite a lot of mistakes, which is ok, but right now we are gearing up for the playoffs. Chiarot is genuinely good and will get even better with the ice time he’s now been given.

I really think we're fortunate to have Chiarot-- he's really progressed nicely, and has one of the hardest most accurate shots on the Jets. Chiarot could turn out to be a real pleasant surprise for the Jets. I like his game a lot, and he's very physical- something we'll need in the playoffs.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I really think we're fortunate to have Chiarot-- he's really progressed nicely, and has one of the hardest most accurate shots on the Jets. Chiarot could turn out to be a real pleasant surprise for the Jets. I like his game a lot, and he's very physical- something we'll need in the playoffs.

Totally agreed. Chiarot is miles from where he was, and I see him getting more patient and making better decisions. He might be limited at his ceiling by hockey IQ but I think he is an average bottom pair guy right now with a cannon and the potential to further develop into an above average 5-6 guy.

The one thing that puts Chia over guys like Paul Postma, is I see progression in his game. He seems to get better with time, Paul unfortunately never got there.

Reactions: GNP and Tommigun

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
orlevsky says that Kulikov is opting out of surgery. will rehab and revisit in 4 weeks.
neither good nor bad news. but didn't Clitty also go this route?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Kulikov using a temporary bandaid solution to play in playoffs then opt for surgery in the off-season?

Maybe. But could be worried about his career long term with surgery. May or may not ever be the same. Of course same could be said by electing not to go with surgery.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Kulikov using a temporary bandaid solution to play in playoffs then opt for surgery in the off-season?

Without knowing the nature (broken or misaligned bone, damaged supporting connective tissue with associated instability of spine or torn muscle?) or the extent (misaligned disc exacerbating a spinal cord compression, etc) of the injury there's naught but speculation to be offered.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That's my reaction. I just hope he is not making a bad decision but we really can't evaluate that without actually hearing the medical advice he is getting. Just hope it works out well all around.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
That's my reaction. I just hope he is not making a bad decision but we really can't evaluate that without actually hearing the medical advice he is getting. Just hope it works out well all around.

Maurice gave a lot of detail today. It seems this is not the case. The decision was made while consulting with his doctor

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
So happy to hear this, was getting worried of our defensive depth during the playoffs.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The more experience Poolman gets that better he will become ... see Chiarot. When the Jets clinch the second spot play these guys and give the vets a rest.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Do you play a 75% Kuli over Chariot? If that's the case I keep running Chariot.
I don't think that's the real question. I think it's do we want to shelf Kulikov considering we are going to have to dip into our depth at D at some point in the playoffs. No way this top 6 stays healthy.

So, it's not is 75% Kuli better than Chia, it's is 75% Kuli better than Morrow/ Poolman/ Melchiori, etc, etc. and I think they answer is yes.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I don't think that's the real question. I think it's do we want to shelf Kulikov considering we are going to have to dip into our depth at D at some point in the playoffs. No way this top 6 stays healthy.

So, it's not is 75% Kuli better than Chia, it's is 75% Kuli better than Morrow/ Poolman/ Melchiori, etc, etc. and I think they answer is yes.

Also 75% Kuli is better than Chia

Reactions: Lomac

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maurice gave a lot of detail today. It seems this is not the case. The decision was made while consulting with his doctor

Saw that before. Not clear. Kuli consulted, and then opted for 'other treatment' is pretty vague. It doesn't explain the criteria he used in making his decision - not surprising, it is a personal decision about his health and his career.

It could be many different things. Maybe the Dr said there was little danger of making it worse, so why not try and play. Or maybe the Dr advised him to have the surgery and he chose to reject the Dr's advice. We don't know and probably never will.

Like I said before, I just hope it is a good decision. For all concerned.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Do you play a 75% Kuli over Chariot? If that's the case I keep running Chariot.

He's just trying to be available to hoist the cup when the time comes. Even if he doesn't play in the playoffs, he would be able to do this. Not an option if he has surgery.

:sarcasm:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Thought they were reporting that he indeed did have the surgery or did they UN-do it???

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
And his career. If he sat out the season how many future contract would come his way

He has made decent money and from what I understand has had some experiences with surgery. Could be that he doesn’t want to risk making it worse, rather trying to fix it another way.

If it doesn’t get better like this he also has the option of simply calling it quits or taking the surgery later. If he is able to stay in shape there’s little reason to take the surgery this minute I guess.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Without knowing the nature (broken or misaligned bone, damaged supporting connective tissue with associated instability of spine or torn muscle?) or the extent (misaligned disc exacerbating a spinal cord compression, etc) of the injury there's naught but speculation to be offered.
Fun police just showed up:)

Totally agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad