Kucherov shoulder to the head hit on Vatanen (upd: no supplementary discipline)

Status
Not open for further replies.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
What more do you want? Kucherov isn't an enforcer. Should he be fighting guys like Lucic? Give me a break.
"He doesn't fight"

*shows video of him fighting someone*

"He didn't fight anyone I arbitrarily deem to be tough"

GTFO man. No softie on the Devils chose to challenge Kuch for the hit. Take that up with your own team, not Kucherov.

BamBam1031

Aug 8, 2008
It's just too bad that almost isn't exactly.

Only difference was Doughty actually got a piece of Carrier's shoulder first. Would have been all shoulder if Carrier didn't try to sidestep the hit.

If Doughty gets one game, Kucherov gets one as well. Neither should have gotten anything, IMHO.

Reactions: NHLpls

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
I was surprised Doughty got reviewed let alone a suspension. However, since he did, I'm now surprised that Kucherov didn't get a hearing. DOPS has done an incredibly effective job of confusing me.

It's like a cop pulling me over and asking me if I know what the speed limit is:

Me: "Er, I think it's 45, sir?"

PO: "Well that would be true if it were a Tuesday and I'd just had a burrito breakfast sandwich."

Me: "It is a Tuesday, sir".

PO: "Yes, but did I just have a burrito breakfast sandwich?"

Me: "I don't know, sir".

PO: "EXACTLY my point. Now please make the vroom vroom noises to the level you were driving so I can calibrate my radar to determine your speed."

Me: "Oh, F*** Me...... please just give me the ticket and I'll pay it."

PO: "Excellent choice citizen."

This made me chuckle

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Let's just call or what it is, the only reason Doughty got suspended is because of the Vegas factor.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
So, Doughty suspended, Hartman suspended...Kucherov not suspended?

I'm not even going to go to all the conspiracy theories, because there's no need. Even if this is with absolutely no bias involved, something's still clearly wrong. This inconsistency is troubling.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
It's really amazing how many people willfully ignore the rulebook and the DoPS explanations and then complain that there are inconsistencies.

Take the time to learn the rules, rather than just complaining about how something makes you feel
LOL, by people you mean the refs, correct?
Literally, the rules state that Vatanen cannot be hit because he still has the puck...he can only be hit immediately after someone else touches it...

"The last player to touch the puck, other than the goalkeeper, shall be considered the player in possession. The player deemed in possession of the puck may be checked legally, provided the check is rendered immediately following his loss of possession. "

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So, Doughty suspended, Hartman suspended...Kucherov not suspended?

I'm not even going to go to all the conspiracy theories, because there's no need. Even if this is with absolutely no bias involved, something's still clearly wrong. This inconsistency is troubling.

In these three cases the DoPS is actually consistent. The perceived inconsistency comes about from fans who either viewed what happened on video differently then the DoPS did, or more commonly don't or won't invest the time in understanding the rules and criteria the DoPS applied.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
In these three cases the DoPS is actually consistent. The perceived inconsistency comes about from fans who either viewed what happened on video differently then the DoPS did, or more commonly don't or won't invest the time in understanding the rules and criteria the DoPS applied.
Is that information available on the Kucherov hit?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
$

Let's just call or what it is, the only reason Doughty got suspended is because of the Vegas factor.

Reactions: SenzZen

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Are all you people who are clamoring that this hit and Doughty's hit the same people who think that playing video games is a sport?

Hockey is a contact sport - sack the f*** up.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Not directly from the DoPS on a video. However there were multiple reports by media insiders (e.g. Dreger) who reported DoPS sources told them the decision was that Vatanen's head "was not the main point of contact".

At the very least, you have to admit their secrecy on their reasoning is questionable, especially in this case (multiple similar-looking hits with difference responses).

To my eyes, there's no difference from the contact between the 3 hits. All of them feature significant head contact from questionable angles where the player could have easily avoided or at least minimized it. If the NHL saw that Vatanen's head was not the main point of contact, it would be, IMO, in their best interest to explain and show exactly why.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
While Doughty's hit may have impacted Carrier's head more, I don't think the difference between the two hits is "no hearing" and "1 game suspension".

If this was not disciplined, Doughty should have just been fined at worst.
The league don't like Drew.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
At the very least, you have to admit their secrecy on their reasoning is questionable, especially in this case (multiple similar-looking hits with difference responses).

To my eyes, there's no difference from the contact between the 3 hits. All of them feature head contact from questionable angles where the player could have easily avoided or at least minimized it. If the NHL saw that Vatanen's head was not the main point of contact, it would be, IMO, in their best interest to explain and show exactly why.

or they just overlooked it as a typical hard hit and not worthy of an explanation

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017

To my eyes, there's no difference from the contact between the 3 hits. All of them feature significant head contact from questionable angles where the player could have easily avoided or at least minimized it. If the NHL saw that Vatanen's head was not the main point of contact, it would be, IMO, in their best interest to explain and show exactly why.

Also they have to explain other 3600 episodes/seconds of the same game for you to make sure you understand it as well.

Moreover, I think we have to request the police to explain how is that you are not in the jail.
Everyone is supposed to be in jail or at least go the court and explain their whole life. Every day. Right?

Last edited:

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
or they just overlooked it as a typical hard hit and not worthy of an explanation

"Typical"?

Also they have to explain other 3600 episodes/seconds of the same game for you to make sure you understand it as well.

Moreover, I think we have to request the police to explain how is that you are not in the jail.
Everyone is supposed to be in jail or at least go the court and explain their whole life. Every day. Right?

Umm, what?

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still not sure what you're talking about...
To me you look exactly like a serial killer. Same two legs, same two hands, 1 head, 1 nose, 2 eyes. Help Police, I caught a serial killer! Put him in jail!

Police, explain to me how is that he is not in jail. And also other 6 billion people with 2 hands, 2 legs and 1 head are not in jail. I see they are look exactly the same as a serial killer!

Last edited:

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
I've been extremely impressed with the DOPS these playoffs. Can't fault them for any of their decisions. Doughty with 1 game, Kadri with multiple, and Kucherov with 0, just as one would expect.
Great job.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
To me you look exactly like a serial killer. Same two legs, same two hands, 1 head, 1 nose, 2 eyes. Help Police, I caught a serial killer! Put him in jail!

Police, explain to me how is that he is not in jail. And also other 6 billion people with 2 hands, 2 legs and 1 head are not in jail. I see they are look exactly the same as a serial killer!

I still don't know what you're talking about...

Just curious, are you aware of what a "false equivalency" is? Just asking...

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

What secrecy? The DoPS announces if a player will be having a hearing and what the result of that hearing is. They don’t publicly announce why players don’t receive hearings, never have. Though the individual teams involved can receive explanations that often are leaked to the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad