Kucherov shoulder to the head hit on Vatanen (upd: no supplementary discipline)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif
If you think evey illegal hit is bad find me the rate at which NHL hits that sre given penalties are suspended

Ill give you a hint, its less than 5%

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Both hits were shoulder then head. Kucherov's was more to the head than Doughty's! There's no way in hell 1 deserves a suspension and the other doesn't. Also, the fact the cross check to Staal's head was 1 game is a joke.
The order of contact does not matter.

On Doughty's hit, 95% of the force was his shoulder to head, with incidental contact with his arm. That is a primary point of contact and picking the head.

On Kucherov's hit, there is full body-to-body contact (hmmm Vatanen's body reacts to contact and goes flying) with incidental contact with the head.

One of these is a clear suspension. One does not warrant a second look.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
The order of contact does not matter.

On Doughty's hit, 95% of the force was his shoulder to head, with incidental contact with his arm. That is a primary point of contact and picking the head.

On Kucherov's hit, there is full body-to-body contact (hmmm Vatanen's body reacts to contact and goes flying) with incidental contact with the head.

One of these is a clear suspension. One does not warrant a second look.

Agree to disagree. There's no consistency in this joke of a league.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
Do you people not realize that more concussions are caused by contact to the chest and stomach area, than contact to the head? Or are you just ignorant of the actual causes of concussions all together?
I think you should clarify this statement and provide some sources. Is this in regards to hockey only?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i'd argue contact isn't initiated until the next frame where kucherov's skate is turned 90 degrees but that doesn't look as pretty for a post on the forum

freeze frames from the wrong angle with all sorts of artifacts from 100 feet away don't mean shit anyway. if you want to argue semantics about "jumping" based off how many millimeters of his blade are touching the ice, fine, but that's the exact movement you make to jump and he left the ice afterwards so i'm not sure how you can argue he wasn't jumping

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Wait...did people actually think there would be supplementary discipline on a great and legal hit? Wow
There's a dude in the series thread saying that if something season ending and career threatening happens to Kucherov, it's deserved and well earned.

So, yeah.

xgallantx

Sold Soul for a Cup
Oct 2, 2006
Newfoundland
Didn't read the whole thread so this may have already been pointed out (I'll say it anyway lol)......this hit was eerily similar to the Doughty hit, so I figured he would get a game, for consistencies sake (who am I kidding)....that being said, I didn't think Doughty deserved a suspension for his hit either. So I can kinda see why Kuch, didn't get suspended. The biggest issue with DOPS is still its consistency, much like reffing (and goalie interference), there seems to be way too many cases of players, fans, coaches, just not knowing.....that is a major issue.

KotBegemot

Feb 18, 2018
i'd argue contact isn't initiated until the next frame where kucherov's skate is turned 90 degrees but that doesn't look as pretty for a post on the forum

freeze frames from the wrong angle with all sorts of artifacts from 100 feet away don't mean **** anyway. if you want to argue semantics about "jumping" based off how many millimeters of his blade are touching the ice, fine, but that's the exact movement you make to jump and he left the ice afterwards so i'm not sure how you can argue he wasn't jumping

He clearly made a contact with Vats body at this moment but I guess it's just one more proof that some people see the same things absolutely differently. Kinda like this white and gold/black and blue dress thing from a few years ago. It's fascinating. And most people are absolutely sure they are in the right and the other side is either blind or trolling.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kucherov's left skate is clearly on the ice at the point of contact. You can't jump into a hit by lifting one foot.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
He clearly made a contact with Vats body at this moment but I guess it's just one more proof that some people see the same things absolutely differently. Kinda like this white and gold/black and blue dress thing from a few years ago. It's fascinating. And most people are absolutely sure they are in the right and the other side is either blind or trolling.

:
9aEyp8x.gif
That clip clearly shows he left his feet. Also I havent seen a zoomed in angle until now but thats head contact for sure.

Oh well hopefully Vatanen rests up for next season

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
you're posting a gif to make a point about his skate being on the ice and the critical blade is literally out of frame.

all i see in this gif is a hell of a lot of shoulder pad to chin

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It's really amazing how many people willfully ignore the rulebook and the DoPS explanations and then complain that there are inconsistencies.

Take the time to learn the rules, rather than just complaining about how something makes you feel

KotBegemot

Feb 18, 2018
That clip clearly shows he left his feet. Also I havent seen a zoomed in angle until now but thats head contact for sure.

Oh well hopefully Vatanen rests up for next season
It's kinda a beating a dead horse already. Initial point of contact is Vats body, shoulder/chest then it went to the Vats head. Sami clearly wasn't ready until it was too late but imo it's more on him, should be aware of his surroundings. Kuch put some force in the hit but didn't jump. I don't know how you can watch the same thing as me and see both his feet in the air before the hit unless you really want to see it.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
That will be relevant when Kucherov loses a foot.
He just might if Chara gets a hold if him if they meet up, I heard big dog Chara like gnawing on bones.

Theres no one scary in Toronto though... Martin was but...

Hopefully Vatanen doesnt have problems for too long, headaches suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad