Injury Report: Klefbom our 2 games due to “minor procedure”

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
:huh: A small defender with below average defensive coverage but above average offensive ability is here to "replace" a large defender with above average defensive ability but below average offensive ability. The only thing in common with the two is handedness.

Not sure if serious.

In fairness I think that poster just meant Bear was Larsson's replacement for this callup specifically, which is true.

He would be reassigned to Bakersfield by now without this Klefbom injury.

Reactions: nabob

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Yeah, if Bear replaces anyone on the roster going forward it will be Benning that gets bumped down to be the #7 guy.

There may be room for all three of them. Frankly. If we can't get a real upgrade on the right side, I'd rather run with this for the future instead of trading RNH for someone that could possibly be replaced by one of these two within 2 years. As much as we all dislike having Russell on the right side, we're stuck with him at least one more year so hopefully he can stop gap until these guys (or possibly another like Mantha, or other right side prospects that could show up soon) develop.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Gregor (twitter, I cannot figure that thing out):
Klefbom skated today and is expected to play Wednesday. How he reacts to procedure he had will determine what off season holds. It could be fine and he trains normally or he possibly needs further surgery

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Yes, yes he was. And by way of thanks for his truth telling Lowe and Katz tried to end his career and this entire board clapped like trained seals. One of the more sickening episodes in franchise history.

Honestly, I remember being really frustrated with him at the time as I was far less tuned into the team and just thought we needed him to play for us badly. Looking back, I'm still embarassed by that reaction. I'd like to think though that it's the kind of thing you give a normal organization the benefit of the doubt about, and the full magnitude of the Oilers' incompetence had not yet been revealed by then. To me, anyways.

As for the main topic here - yeah. We've heard all year that Klef's hurt, up and down. Just shut him down for crying out f***ing loud. What are we even playing for at this point, other than racking up McDavid points? Klef doesn't even add to this very much this year - just throw Bear and Pulju out there on PP1. BAH. THIS TEAM.

Reactions: harpoon

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Honestly, I remember being really frustrated with him at the time as I was far less tuned into the team and just thought we needed him to play for us badly. Looking back, I'm still embarassed by that reaction. I'd like to think though that it's the kind of thing you give a normal organization the benefit of the doubt about, and the full magnitude of the Oilers' incompetence had not yet been revealed by then. To me, anyways.

As for the main topic here - yeah. We've heard all year that Klef's hurt, up and down. Just shut him down for crying out ****ing loud. What are we even playing for at this point, other than racking up McDavid points? Klef doesn't even add to this very much this year - just throw Bear and Pulju out there on PP1. BAH. THIS TEAM.
Throwing unprepared prospects to the wolves isn't the responsible way of developing players. In fact going about your personnel decisions with the mindset that 'the games don't matter' is in part how we ended up with a losing culture and an 11 year playoff drought. Klefbom wants to play. According to Souray, he didn't. Despite his poor play this season, Klef gives us a chance to win when he's in the lineup. That's pretty much why they haven't shut him down.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I wonder if he had some scar tissue built up and that was affecting his range of motion and also perhaps causing some discomfort. Could the small procedure have been removing some of it?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Throwing unprepared prospects to the wolves isn't the responsible way of developing players. In fact going about your personnel decisions with the mindset that 'the games don't matter' is in part how we ended up with a losing culture and an 11 year playoff drought. Klefbom wants to play. According to Souray, he didn't. Despite his poor play this season, Klef gives us a chance to win when he's in the lineup. That's pretty much why they haven't shut him down.

PP 1 is hardly the 'wolves' and the point isn't to just throw away games. It's to develop our prospects and see what we have next year. Give them a chance, that's how players grow - responding to challenges and opportunities. If they completely flunk at it, well, yes, I do think the games don't matter except from an evaluation standpoint. If they succeed, we suddenly have many more options next year. All with the added bonus of giving Klef a chance to heal.

If Klef wants to keep playing, yes, that is a fair difference from Souray.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yes, yes he was. And by way of thanks for his truth telling Lowe and Katz tried to end his career and this entire board clapped like trained seals. One of the more sickening episodes in franchise history.
The worst part of that was a week earlier everybody wanted Souray named team captain. I couldn’t understand how a player could go from being such a stand up guy to pariah just for calling out a bad organization. I get how enough things have happened in the last decade to expose the organization for what it is. It doesn’t surprise anybody anymore when another embarrassing story gets out. There were still plenty of red flags at the time Souray spoke out that what he said should have been treated with respect instead of ridicule.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
58053455.jpg

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Isnt it common knowledge that the procedure is a cortisone shot? He had one done earlier in the year and missed a couple games. Now again to miss a couple. Thats just standard procedure to miss a few days after the shot. The shot last 4 to 6 weeks ish.

The reason for the shot, is less likely to be known, but its pretty common to get them first for a while to see how the shoulder reacts before having some sort of surgery.

If he injury was substantial then he wouldnt be playing, its pretty simple. This choice would be between Klefbom and the doctors.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Why can't this organization just come out and say what's actually going on for once?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Oilers defenceman Klefbom's health, play 'an abject disappointment' - Sportsnet.ca

Both Organization and Klefbom are stupid. Sounded like Klefbom figured a non-100% version of him was more helpful to the team and the team agreed. Stupidity coming from both sides

It's just a tough situation all around, and IMO there's no heroes or villains on either side of it. Both management and players felt a lot of pressure to build on what they did last season, and it's not hard to think that the absolute last thing Klefbom wanted to do was miss another major chunk of time after the horror show he had to endure from that staph infection, especially with how important a piece he is for the team's success...and it didn't help that they were already short staffed with Sekera not available for much of this year.

I imagine it's also a tough thing to not want to let your teammates down, especially if he felt his staph infection took a part in sinking their 15/16 season, fair or not. It's a hard choice, and not one I'd feel comfortable calling him "stupid" for the choice he made. I'm not in his shoes.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
SO now he has to play NHL games to determine if his minor surgery was enough to fix a year long lingering injury? Can't just do some stuff in a gym with doctors?

Reactions: Aerrol

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I know I read somewhere that they might shut him down for the rest of the year. But that was before this procedure. Hopefully that helps the injury he's been dealing with most of the year.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
SO now he has to play NHL games to determine if his minor surgery was enough to fix a year long lingering injury? Can't just do some stuff in a gym with doctors?
Cause lifting weights in a gym is the same as playing NHL hockey.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It's just a tough situation all around, and IMO there's no heroes or villains on either side of it.

Yeah I'm not sure I'm ready to give this organization the benefit of the doubt when it comes to managing player's injuries in a way that is in the best interest of the player. Klefbom no doubt had some agency but when the pressure is on from coaching and management to play...

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I was curious who in the oilers organization gave the quote that klefboms season has been an abject failure. Unless I’m mistaken Spector is quoting himself in his own article?

I think Spector saying the whole Klefbom ordeal is, not someone in the organization saying it.

My take was the organization let Klefbom decide; Klefbom himself knew something was up and either out of pride or just stupidity (I tend to think its a bit of both), he elected to play despite not well and to the detriment of the team.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yeah I'm not sure I'm ready to give this organization the benefit of the doubt when it comes to managing player's injuries in a way that is in the best interest of the player. Klefbom no doubt had some agency but when the pressure is on from coaching and management to play...

This line “The shoulder is so black or white,” Klefbom, 24, said Monday. “If I say at Christmas, ‘OK, let’s do something about this,’ I know that in the playoffs, if we’re going to turn this around, I’m not going to be there.”

That tells me Klefbom decided to play, not the organization forcing him.

I believe someone posted earlier that the team can tell you whatever but if the player elects to bypass surgery, team can't force him to

Reactions: Drivesaitl

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Cause lifting weights in a gym is the same as playing NHL hockey.

I'm pretty sure trainers and doctors have achieved a level of knowledge where they know how to put strain on muscles and joints to test how they hold up.

This NHL game test just seems like wishful thinking that Klef can be just good enough to hold off even longer on getting what he needs to actually get back to 100%.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
This line “The shoulder is so black or white,” Klefbom, 24, said Monday. “If I say at Christmas, ‘OK, let’s do something about this,’ I know that in the playoffs, if we’re going to turn this around, I’m not going to be there.”

That tells me Klefbom decided to play, not the organization forcing him.

I believe someone posted earlier that the team can tell you whatever but if the player elects to bypass surgery, team can't force him to

What's he going to do if you sit him in the press box? It's not like his play hasn't deserved it at times.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I'm pretty sure trainers and doctors have achieved a level of knowledge where they know how to put strain on muscles and joints to test how they hold up.

This NHL game test just seems like wishful thinking that Klef can be just good enough to hold off even longer on getting what he needs to actually get back to 100%.

There's a lot of guess work there. He might have a slight limit in his range of motion or he might have a more serious nagging injury. Either way, it seems like (from what had been communicated thus far) he's basically putting a short term bandaid on a long term issue. I'd honestly rather see him go through the surgery and work on rehabbing that injury properly. The longer he waits the more chance he had to cause more damage.

Yeah it's a physicians call, but they can't force a guy to go for surgery either. They can make their recommendations and state whether he is safe to play or not. He can be safe to play and still be playing at a reduced amount of effectiveness - the is a choice between him and management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad