Injury Report: Klefbom our 2 games due to “minor procedure”

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Seriously, how many Canadian teams are talked about in the media a week before the trade deadline with speculation a player might possibly be shopped and it turns out there was zero legs to the rumor as the media makes crap up all the time for viewership.

I agreed that he was speculating, and I didn't mention any of his "sources" in my response. I believe he was speculating based on his belief that Klefbom was playing injured, which was eventually justified. I don't think it's crazy to think that Friedman actually has heard from "inside" people that Klefbom was injured, because we've been hearing rumblings about it for months now.

Reactions: nabob

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Just shut him down for the rest of the season for **** sakes. Do something right for a change. Sick of hearing about his "nagging" injury

About time they did! Stupid to risk his health this long. Management are lucky nothing happened, although we don't really know that extent as only now they shut him down.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Even go back to last summer. Knowing Sek was likely not going to be himself at any point this year after major surgery, and knowing Klef was struggling with a lingering shoulder injury. We bolster the D with Gryba and Auvitu and some career AHlers I forget the names of.
What's worse is that Vegas had many decent Dmen on one year deals up for sale. Probably a 3rd or even a 4th would have got that done.

Reactions: Aerrol

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Klefbom had shoulder issues after being drafted that took him out of action for most of two seasons I believe. Makes this a little more discouraging, that they either don't seem to be able to figure out what the issue is or the proper way to treat it. They have access to the best medical doctors and equipment that money can buy, yet in the 9-10 months since the injury happened they seem to have made zero progress in treating it.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Klefbom had shoulder issues after being drafted that took him out of action for most of two seasons I believe. Makes this a little more discouraging, that they either don't seem to be able to figure out what the issue is or the proper way to treat it. They have access to the best medical doctors and equipment that money can buy, yet in the 9-10 months since the injury happened they seem to have made zero progress in treating it.

That's generally how shoulder injuries go, first you try therapy then drugs and the last possible resort is surgery. And I know this all very well with my own labrum injury. Klefbom is already washed up.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That's generally how shoulder injuries go, first you try therapy then drugs and the last possible resort is surgery. And I know this all very well with my own labrum injury. Klefbom is already washed up.

Yeah I managed to avoid surgery with my labrum.

I realize that's how it usually goes with the public health system. Just thought a NHL team would be a bit more vigilant with the massive investment they just made in him contract wise.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Can't say I'm surprised at the bungled handling of this -- a bush league run front office has seemingly bush league medical staff screw up a player's rehab.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What would be a "small procedure" on a shoulder? Is an injection considered a procedure? Regardless, if he isn't 1oo% he should be shut down until he is.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I would bet good money he is getting an MRI done on that shoulder of his. I would also bet good money he'll need a repair after the results come back.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Whole Klefbom situation is just plain weird. Either the management is Pejorative Slured and has been playing him hurt all year or Klefboms injury is fairly minor and he doesn’t have the ability to play at an adequate level.

I would guess its the latter. Theres been a lot of players in the past who have played great despite terrible injuries. I like Klefbom but there is certainly concern for his longterm durability.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Whole Klefbom situation is just plain weird. Either the management is ******ed and has been playing him hurt all year or Klefboms injury is fairly minor and he doesn’t have the ability to play at an adequate level.

I would guess its the latter. Theres been a lot of players in the past who have played great despite terrible injuries. I like Klefbom but there is certainly concern for his longterm durability.

Maybe the discomfort/injury was minimal, hence them playing him, then over the course of a long season, it got worse?

With these jokers running the team the last 10 years, it's probably a Weekend at Bernies situation.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He really hasn’t played well the entire year though. I actually think he looks better lately than at the first half of the season. I think he would probably look better with Larsson because Larsson masks some of his deficiencies. I just think it’s concerning that his level of his play has dropped for nearly the entire year if its just a minor injury.

And if its actually a major injury than you have to ask why hes even playing.

Just kinda bizarre.

Oilers management has been pretty awful these last 10 years but they have seemed more cautious with injuries the last 3 seasons or so. Very rarely does it seem like players are rushed back. Players generally come back after the longest timeline given.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think he has looked significantly better since his pro-longed break over Christmas, and looking at some of the stats, starting 28 Dec to now, backs that up to an extent.

Unless something has happened I also think this is an odd timing, could have been done earlier. Maybe the pain came back for some reason.

I could see as an explanation that Klefbom himself chose to keep playing. From interviews it was fairly clear that he hadn't given up on the season (until pretty recently) and that even though it was tough the team had to go through it together.

Anyway, pure speculation of course. Soon I guess we will see/know what this was and what the way forward will be.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The fact that Chia was shopping an injured Klef is not smart. Talk about selling low. Bear is not here to replace Davidson. He's replacing Larsson. Bear will not get more than 9 games here

:huh: A small defender with below average defensive coverage but above average offensive ability is here to "replace" a large defender with above average defensive ability but below average offensive ability. The only thing in common with the two is handedness.

Not sure if serious.

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I hate the front office leadership and coaching of this team more and more each day.

Reactions: Aerrol

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
:huh: A small defender with below average defensive coverage but above average offensive ability is here to "replace" a large defender with above average defensive ability but below average offensive ability. The only thing in common with the two is handedness.

Not sure if serious.

Yeah, if Bear replaces anyone on the roster going forward it will be Benning that gets bumped down to be the #7 guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad