Injury Report: Klefbom our 2 games due to “minor procedure”

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
NHL Network just reported they're shutting him down. Who to believe, who to believe. Nevermind just read the second tweet.

People are overreacting. Klef wants to play, let him play. There's very little risk of permanent damage, if any. Let him get some games and shut him down early enough so his off season isn't a total write off.

This stretch of games it's important to get some semblance of a competitive product out of this group and Klef improves their chances of finding one.

1. In what way, shape, or form do the games matter now? They matter only in terms of setting up for next year - so playing younger players higher up to see if they can handle it and trying line combinations to see what works. Which you've said you don't want to do this year because...I don't fully understand why.

2. If he needs surgery HE SHOULD HAVE HAD IT ALREADY. We've seen shoulder surgeries before - they almost always seem to extend into training camp when done at the end of a season/late season. I fully expect this to be the case here. Only the stupid f***ing Oilers.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

So he's gonna play tonight, then go on the 4 game road trip...my guess is after that it's season over.

Yeah, that's what Stauffer said (or was it Reid Wilkins?).
If so, I don't get it. What's the point of playing these meaningless games if they know for sure that he needs to get the procedure done? Why not get it done sooner so he can be healthier sooner and not have an offseason full of recovery?

Stauffer also said that apparently he had this issue all season and last season too. What the hell is going on here? Why wasn't this fixed sooner? Is this guy ever going to be fully healthy?

I just don't know what's going on at all levels of the organization from management to coaching to Nicholson's cryptic interviews to completely odd player regression. What's the plan here? I'm baffled.

Reactions: McAsuno and Aerrol

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Is it really? They haven't done it from day one. Why play an injured player when the season is a writeoff.
It is. Fall for Hall, Play bad for Ekblad, Fail for Nail, Fallin for Dahlin. All those tanks do is instill a losing culture that is still very much alive in this group. Finishing the season off on a winning note is only going to be beneficial for this group coming out of the gate next fall. We're likely not going to see a whole ton of turnover in terms of personnel, so having them fix key issues--specifically their special teams--is still a priority before this year is done.

You play the player because he's a professional who wants to play.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, that's what Stauffer said (or was it Reid Wilkins?).
If so, I don't get it. What's the point of playing these meaningless games if they know for sure that he needs to get the procedure done?

Stauffer also said that apparently he had this issue all season and last season too. What the hell is going on here? Why wasn't this fixed sooner? Is this guy ever going to be fully healthy?

I just don't know what's going on at all levels of the organization from management to coaching to Nicholson's cryptic interviews to completely odd player regression. What's the plan here? I'm baffled.

To erode any remaining Oiler fanbase further to launching the Seattle Grunge Katz team in another new arena and entertainment district.

Whoops, I wasn't supposed to tell anybody, MacT told me not to do this..

Last person out, please turn off the lights.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The games "matter" now to a desperate Chia and Todd. They need to be able to sell a "well, we had a pretty good finish" to an angry Darryl Katz to buy them some job security in the summer. That's what this is really about.

These morons are forcing Lucic onto McDavid's wing and playing russian roulette with Klefbom's shoulder.

These guys don't give a shit about the team, they are desperate now to save their jobs, especially the dumbass GM who knows his NHL career is likely over if the Oilers fire him. No one is going to hire him just like Milbury cannot get a NHL GM job anymore.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Makes zero sense. Playing injured for almost 2 seasons, hasn’t gotten the surgery and will play in the games remaining that mean nothing? I get that it’s a minor surgery but still. It has quite clearly impacted his performance this year. joke organization.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It is. Fall for Hall, Play bad for Ekblad, Fail for Nail, Fallin for Dahlin. All those tanks do is instill a losing culture that is still very much alive in this group. Finishing the season off on a winning note is only going to be beneficial for this group coming out of the gate next fall. We're likely not going to see a whole ton of turnover in terms of personnel, so having them fix key issues--specifically their special teams--is still a priority before this year is done.

You play the player because he's a professional who wants to play.

Ask yourself if playing Klefbom, in his condition, considering his play so far this season is conductive to winning? It's a move made out of mercy to take him out of the lineup.

I'm not saying to rest or sit any other player, only the defenseman who is injured that has been a net negative player almost all year. Let Bear play, let OV2 play.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
To erode any remaining fanbase further to launching the Seattle Grunge Katz team in another new arena and entertainment.

Whoops, I wasn't supposed to tell anybody, MacT told me not to do this..

Maybe Katz can buy the Seattle team that he apparently so desired and leave us alone for good. I'd even take Melnyk over him. Ok maybe not, or maybe?
I don't know, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this entire season and what in the hedoublehockeysticks is actually happening.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This is hands down the most incompetent, dumbest management group in the entire NHL. Hands down. No one else is even close to how stupid the morons running this team are.

They played an injured player because the GM is terrified of being fired and is hoping for a "decent finish" to buy him some rope for a massively disappointing season. Ditto for the dumb ass coach who is also likewise terrified of being dumped.

**** this management group. Seriously. Klefbom better be ready on day 1 of camp.

Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm under the impression trading him this summer for a guy like Barrie or Faulk is beginning to make more sense in the short term with the current depth on the left side and the likelihood we're coming out of this draft with a high-end defensive prospect.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I think they should just play him after surgery too. I'm sure he will still want to help his teammates and it's all up to Klef. If he says he wants to play, we have no choice and have to play him. Just put a "please don't hit" sticker on his shoulder, well, of course only if Klef wants the sticker, maybe he won't.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Makes zero sense. Playing injured for almost 2 seasons, hasn’t gotten the surgery and will play in the games remaining that mean nothing? I get that it’s a minor surgery but still. It has quite clearly impacted his performance this year. joke organization.

I remember when Ethan Moreau had a minor ankle sprain. I lost faith in this organizations ability to diagnose and treat injuries eons ago

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Apparently he has been dealing with this injury since he was in Sweden and just now getting it taken care of. Jesus christ.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm under the impression trading him this summer for a guy like Barrie or Faulk is beginning to make more sense in the short term with the current depth on the left side and the likelihood we're coming out of this draft with a high-end defensive prospect.

Yeah and both Colorado and Carolina politely say "no thanks". Why would they do that trade? Colorado after Erik Johnson has no other right D, so they're gonna run 5 left D? And why take a guy who's likely going to be recovering from injury and likely now miss a chunk of training camp?

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe Katz can buy the Seattle team that he apparently so desired and leave us alone for good. I'd even take Melnyk over him. Ok maybe not, or maybe?
I don't know, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this entire season and what in the hedoublehockeysticks is actually happening.
You would want a cheapskate and internal cap? I know I wouldn't.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I remember when Ethan Moreau had a minor ankle sprain. I lost faith in this organizations ability to diagnose and treat injuries eons ago
And now I am worried about Benson cause apparently Vancouver "messed up his recovery" Don't think he is in much better hands here.

Freaking Oilers first rounders and shoulder injuries are such commonplace lol.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
And now I am worried about Benson cause apparently Vancouver "messed up his recovery" Don't think he is in much better hands here.

Freaking Oilers first rounders and shoulder injuries are such commonplace lol.

I think that was the first time with Benson. They messed up everything about his injury the first go around. That's why I can't stand it when people say he's injury prone. He's had one hard to treat injury that wasn't treated right. He's not like Pitlick that cracked every time he was touched.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You would want a cheapskate and internal cap? I know I wouldn't.

It's tongue in cheek but if the alternative is Katz, maybe? Take a look at Melynk's record as owner and take a look at Katz's. Giving the green light to morons (buddies) to spend to the cap isn't necessarily a good thing. Can it get worse?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
1. In what way, shape, or form do the games matter now? They matter only in terms of setting up for next year - so playing younger players higher up to see if they can handle it and trying line combinations to see what works. Which you've said you don't want to do this year because...I don't fully understand why.

You do what's possible to help win games because you said it--it's setting up for next season, when we need to hit the ground running.

I've said I don't want to just throw JP up there because all you're doing there is inflating the kid's stats in garbage time. You're not developing him trying to make him a more complete player--you're bumping his point totals which probably inflates his second contract should he turn into any kind of flawed secondary scorer.

We did it wrong the first time. We gave the young offensive guys all the minutes, then all the money and never even mentioned defensive responsibility. Thank Christ Nuge actually realized he needs to bring more than just points.

2. If he needs surgery HE SHOULD HAVE HAD IT ALREADY. We've seen shoulder surgeries before - they almost always seem to extend into training camp when done at the end of a season/late season. I fully expect this to be the case here. Only the stupid ****ing Oilers.

I question how many guys in this league are playing injured right now. I would imagine quite a few. These are professional players. If they're healthy enough to play and not risking any complications, odds are they're going to play.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I suspect this being the Oilers Klefbom will miss training camp, maybe even regular season games, when Hall had his shoulder surgery, it was in March 2012 and he didn't play until November 2012.

Klefbom should have been shut down a month ago.

Now this is probably going to impact our team next year. Brilliant.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
This is just plain dumb. He's going to play a few more games and then have surgery and is done for the year? So what if he blows his knee out and is out 6-9 months? This organization is just laughable now. Tell Klefbom hey I know you want to play but it ain't worth it; just get the procedure done, rehab, train, and see you in September ready to go.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah and both Colorado and Carolina politely say "no thanks". Why would they do that trade? Colorado after Erik Johnson has no other right D, so they're gonna run 5 left D? And why take a guy who's likely going to be recovering from injury and likely now miss a chunk of training camp?
Colorado has Erik Johnson and a bevy of young right-handed offensive prospects and very little on the left side coming in. I also see them as a team who has all of the necessary pieces to make a #65 deal this summer should it go down.

Also 'likely miss a chunk of training camp'? Now you're a doctor, too. Lots of guys in this thread who seemed to have missed their calling in life.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I suspect this being the Oilers Klefbom will miss training camp, maybe even regular season games, when Hall had his shoulder surgery, it was in March 2012 and he didn't play until November 2012.

Klefbom should have been shut down a month ago.

Now this is probably going to impact our team next year. Brilliant.

Oilers gonna Oil.

I'm half expecting his arm to fall off tonight.. then the camera panning to the management booth and them all looking at each other sheepishly.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I posted this in the main board thread, but I'll post it here too.

I would recommend listening to McLellan and Klefbom's interviews today.

Key points:
- Klefbom has been playing with this for a few years. The procedures that were working in the past aren't working as well now.
- There is no risk for him to do any damage to the shoulder by playing now.
- The surgery is scheduled for as early as next week. Klefbom came to McLellan and asked if he could play until that date.
- Will be ready for training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad