Kitchener Rangers 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Fanelli never ceases to amaze us with his dedication to good causes, which are many. Another good read, although not sure where I came across it is this top 500 2018 NHL draft list. Noce to see Peyton mentioned and interesting to see Guest above Damiani but I guess it's who you ask. http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2018-nhl-draft/2018-nhl-draft-rankings-the-preseason-500/

Those players are really going to have to show something big time to get noticed. They are really buried on that list. Guest and Damiani are smaller types that really have to put up big numbers to make pro hockey.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
Those players are really going to have to show something big time to get noticed. They are really buried on that list. Guest and Damiani are smaller types that really have to put up big numbers to make pro hockey.

Agreed. Excited to see them first hand to have where they stack up in comparison to last year in terms of size and strenght.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Agreed. Excited to see them first hand to have where they stack up in comparison to last year in terms of size and strenght.

Me also. Its always interesting to see how quickly these kids mature and develop even over a season. One of the biggest issues the Rangers have will be goal tending. I can see them being pro active and make a move in that area sooner than later. Right now it looks like a dog's breakfast.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Me also. Its always interesting to see how quickly these kids mature and develop even over a season. One of the biggest issues the Rangers have will be goal tending. I can see them being pro active and make a move in that area sooner than later. Right now it looks like a dog's breakfast.

...and I don't think we can afford to wait on Opilka. Unless one of the guys we have in camp steps up and shows he can do the job right from the start of the season, waiting for a healthy Opilka may cost us a few slots in the standings at season's end. In a year we are trying to win, I don't think that's acceptable.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Richardson stepped up in that exhibition game with Erie. Shots were 12 to 4 in favour of the Otters in the 3rd but Richardson shut them down despite two PPs for Erie. Timpano was in the net for Erie.

Let's see if that's a sign of maturity and consistency for Richardson going forward. I am concerned about a backup with McGonigle out. Pfeil is still a bit young yet. Anyway, I have a feeling that MM has a plan if things don't go well.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
...and I don't think we can afford to wait on Opilka. Unless one of the guys we have in camp steps up and shows he can do the job right from the start of the season, waiting for a healthy Opilka may cost us a few slots in the standings at season's end. In a year we are trying to win, I don't think that's acceptable.

I don't like to mention the old Deboer days but I doubt he would hesitate to grab a goalie if he had a competitive team. In saying that we haven't really got an idea of what type of team this will be. Lots of question marks with this group. There wasn't much offense last season. Defense was a mess also. The season goes quick. Other contending teams will make moves early. Guess we will see if MM has what it takes to step up.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I don't like to mention the old Deboer days but I doubt he would hesitate to grab a goalie if he had a competitive team. In saying that we haven't really got an idea of what type of team this will be. Lots of question marks with this group. There wasn't much offense last season. Defense was a mess also. The season goes quick. Other contending teams will make moves early. Guess we will see if MM has what it takes to step up.
I rather let Richardson run with the No1 job and see what he can do. What goalies are out there that are available and are proven better...DiPietro and maybe the one in Kingston? Why trade to make a lateral move? The Rangers gave up on Sime and now he could be one of the better 'tenders in the East. IMHO it's time to evaluate Richardson and the team before making a premature move. Only concern I have is the lack of depth in the goalies.....McGonigle hasn't played in a year and how sharp and dependable will he be and Opilka is a walking talking MASH unit.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Because of the scarcity of goaltenders, the trade market makes it difficult to establish what constitutes value for them. While history shows that you're more likely to underpay than overpay, MM has done a very good job of reloading the draft pick cupboard in the event we need a midseason upgrade.

I actually agree with Ward. Richardson has shown some ability to be a good goaltender in this league and there's enough reason to believe that with more playing time, he'll continue to improve. I don't think we want another Mike Morrison situation here.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Defense was a mess last year because of 4 D out with injuries. Who else had that issue? Not to mention goalie injuries. In turn, offense was overly focused on getting back to help defense which in turn, hurt offense. Then for whatever reason, they went back to dumping the puck in instead of taking it in and making plays. And this team didn't have the size to be bumping along the boards. I sure hope NONE of this happens this season.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think Richardson has a chance to prove himself this season simply because there is no one else at the moment. He finished around 32nd last season with close t 900 minutes.
I thought he would turn into a decent goaltender but I still have no confidence in him that he will turn the page and be a solid number one. I understand our D was an issue with injuries and lacked skill around the blue paint last season. As a long time fan I certainly hope he grabs the reins and runs with it. Having a contender means having a top goaltender that an win games for your squad. London needed Parsons to do this last year as an example. They would never have finished as high with out him. Regardless I till think MM will be looking at who is available.

Last edited:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I think Richardson has a chance to prove himself this season simply because there is no one else at the moment. He finished around 32nd last season with close t 900 minutes.
I thought he would turn into a decent goaltender but I still have no confidence in him that he will turn the page and be a solid number one. I understand out D was an issue with injuries and lacked skill around the blue paint last season. As a long time fan I certainly hope he grabs the reins and runs with it. Having a contender means having a top goaltender that an win games for your squad. London needed Parsons to do this last year as an example. They would never have finished as high with out him. Regardless I till think MM will be looking at who is available.

Agreed 100%, any GM worth his salt is always on the look-out for an improvement in any position...especially in net. One goalie I thought they would try to chase down would be Leo Lazerev ex of the 67's but he just went to Barrie!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Joseph Raaymakers from the Soo is available.

And I don't believe he is an OA. If we were to deal for him (or any other #1caliber goaltender) and he shows that he can be a bonafide number one on a contender, then once Opilka is healthy we can either decide to hang onto both to have both goaltenders then push each other or maybe we could deal one.

All this of course after we see how Richardson performs in the coming weeks. I think a decision could or should be made on Richardson by the end of October.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Joseph Raaymakers from the Soo is available.
Joesph Raaymakers
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=177600

Luke Richardson
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=187475

Almost identical stats...I know stats aren't everything but with the superior team the Soo had last year, it can be argued that the cost for acquiring Raaymakers may not be wisely spent. Maybe if the assets going the other way is loaded with conditionals then maybe!

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I'm totally with Ward on this one. Stick it out with Richardson. Hopefully McGonigle is healthy enough to take some starts by October and the pair can bridge the gap until Opilka is back. But I'm not interested in wasting more assets to add a goalie that will be one of four come December.

And with all due respect to Raaymakers, I've never been a fan. He basically lost his job in Soo last year due to unreliable play.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I knew it! My crystal eight ball works.The Kitchener Rangers announced today they have acquired goaltender Anthony Dumont-Bouchard in a trade with the Barrie Colts.
In exchange, the Colts will receive a 14th round pick (KIT) in the 2018 OHL Priority Selection.
The 20-year-old, Lėvis, QC native spent parts of three seasons as a member of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s Drummondville Voltigeurs before being acquired by the Acadie-Bathurst Titan last season. He was picked up on waivers by the Colts this week.
In 35 regular season games between the Voltigeurs and Titan combined last season, Dumont-Bouchard posted a record of 20-9-1-1 with a 2.76 GAA and save percentage of .906%, along with four shutouts. In seven playoff appearances with the Titan last season he finished with a record of 4-1-0-0.
Anthony Dumont-Bouchard
Hometown: Lėvis, QC
Birthdate: February 14, 1997
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 196
Position: G
Catches: L
More News

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I knew it! My crystal eight ball works.The Kitchener Rangers announced today they have acquired goaltender Anthony Dumont-Bouchard in a trade with the Barrie Colts.
In exchange, the Colts will receive a 14th round pick (KIT) in the 2018 OHL Priority Selection.
The 20-year-old, Lėvis, QC native spent parts of three seasons as a member of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s Drummondville Voltigeurs before being acquired by the Acadie-Bathurst Titan last season. He was picked up on waivers by the Colts this week.
In 35 regular season games between the Voltigeurs and Titan combined last season, Dumont-Bouchard posted a record of 20-9-1-1 with a 2.76 GAA and save percentage of .906%, along with four shutouts. In seven playoff appearances with the Titan last season he finished with a record of 4-1-0-0.
Anthony Dumont-Bouchard
Hometown: Lėvis, QC
Birthdate: February 14, 1997
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 196
Position: G
Catches: L
More News
Crystal eight ball???

For a 14th rounder sounds like a decent trade!
I like it, gives the team what it seems like a decent back-up whoever it is! But i still suspect they will give Richardson every chance to win the No.1 job.
Also maybe McGonigle is further away than suspected plus with him not playing for close to yr a trade they had to make regardless!

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Well one of this guy and Opilka will not be on the roster once LO is healthy. So it's a suitable stop-gap.

It's really too bad McGonigle wasn't ready to go.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Well one of this guy and Opilka will not be on the roster once LO is healthy. So it's a suitable stop-gap.

It's really too bad McGonigle wasn't ready to go.

When is OA cutdown to 3 (late Nov?) and Oplika scheduled return the early new year that gives the Rangers 4 OA's.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
When is OA cutdown to 3 (late Nov?) and Oplika scheduled return the early new year that gives the Rangers 4 OA's.

Ward, I believe the OA cut-down in November is just to four. The cut-down to 3 has to happen by the January deadline if I'm not mistaken.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
Mucho-gracias!...will be interesting!

Without knowing where Mcgonigle stands, with Pfiel' s not so encouraging play and age, with Opilka being a walking bandaide this had to be done. Should the newbie play a starters role or if they go with Richardson to start and see how he plays; at least we have that safety net.

Should mcgonigle come back strong, I can see us moving on from Richardson or Anthony Dumont-Bouchard quickly. Something similar to Vella last year from London to Owen Sound since Kouey (spelling) allowed them too then we run with Mcgonigle and Opilka.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
And again MM pulls the trigger and shores up the goalie position. Now, Richardson has extra impetus to compete for #1. And now with 4 OAs.....something will have to give unless Rangers don't expect Opie to return?

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
And again MM pulls the trigger and shores up the goalie position. Now, Richardson has extra impetus to compete for #1. And now with 4 OAs.....something will have to give unless Rangers don't expect Opie to return?

I doubt even MM knows at this point. New guy can get a shot, and if he runs with it then he stays over Opie. But if he looks like he won't give us anything more than Opie would, then we can cut our losses with only a measly 14th round pick lost (minus the couple months rental of new guy). Also gives us a more reliable backup to Richardson than Pfeil or, in a worst case, a stand-in if Luke were to get hurt. It would be a nightmare currently if Richardson were injured before Opie or McGonigle came back. We'd get raked over the coals getting a replacement via trade.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
If Opilka is returned by the Blues, he will be expected to play. From the St. Louis Post Dispatch Aug 26th:

Any idea where Opilka will play once he returns from injury? Also, how disappointed are the Blues that this guy keeps injuring his hips?

In case anybody missed it, Opilka had another hip surgery and will be out a few months. If he'd stayed healthy, I believe he was going to play in junior this season. We'll have to wait and see what the situation is when he's ready to return, as a lot can change. There could be an injury in the system that opens a door for Opilka in the minors when he's done rehabbing. Or because the hip injury is significant and he's had a couple of them in the last year, they'll just send him back to junior anyway and have him take his time working back slowly.

HEY.....if both Opilka and ADB stay, then either Henderson or Blaisdell goes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad