Kitchener Rangers 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melrose

May 8, 2014
Just to clear up the goalie situation, MM stated that Opilka will probably have more surgery on his other hip and it looks like his career is over. McGonicle is a month out and on the trade, Rangers were 12th on the waiver list and knew several teams ahead of them were interested in this goalie so since Barrie had the first pick on the waiver list Rangers cut the deal with Barrie to grab him and swap with us for a 14th rounder. This was all discussed at tonight's annual meeting.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Just to clear up the goalie situation, MM stated that Opilka will probably have more surgery on his other hip and it looks like his career is over. McGonicle is a month out and on the trade, Rangers were 12th on the waiver list and knew several teams ahead of them were interested in this goalie so since Barrie had the first pick on the waiver list Rangers cut the deal with Barrie to grab him and swap with us for a 14th rounder. This was all discussed at tonight's annual meeting.
Too bad of Opilka but almost predictable and moving on now instead of mid-season is the best for the team. The Barrie trade was a very very smooth move by MM!!...applause here!

Last edited:

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016

Echoes here.. to bad for Opilka if this truly unfolds regarding the additional surgery.. I'm sure he will fight to get back but as mentioned well done on MM for moving on to plan B.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Pretty sad to hear that news about Luke. The focus is more on his quality of life moving forward than on hockey. As others have said McKenzie made a very savvy move to manoeuvre with Barrie to be sure he got Dumont-Bouchard here.

Some other things said at the AGM

Steve Bienkowski said things were solid financially and this year the profit was about 265 thousand dollars. The Rangers made about 449,000 in charitable donations.

On the hockey side he said the team did not want to return to the position they were in when the draft cupboard was bare and there were not key players to build around. At the end of the 2012-13 season the draft cupboard was bare, with graduation there was a shortage of players to build around. He said we borrowed from the future for present success. He pointed out examples like Erie who do not currently have a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th draft pick in 2018 and no 2nd or 3rd until 2023. Windsor don't have a 2nd to 5th round pick in 2018 and don't have a 2nd or 3rd until 2022. London traded lots of picks at the deadline but still have their base picks and some very good players so they can compete this season too.

Since 2013 there was a direction to restock the draft cupboard, limit movement of top picks, build through the draft. Now that the draft cupboard is restocked they can make a push, but base picks must remain and there must be a good core of players from each age who remain.

Mike McKenzie spoke about keeping a high compete level from season to season. He wants the team to be good every year and not be in the place where we were. He wants to have the assets to push when it matters. He said acquiring Stanley meant Roberts would see less ice time and that's why that trade was made. He said with the Rippon trade he was a bit angry with the situation of him not wanting to play here but once he said he'd play elsewhere, he made a trade to get good assets back. With Cedric Schiemenz and Lias Andersson, he decided he wanted 2 impact players who could play this season so Schiemenz was released and Andersson put on import reserve. He is happy with the balance of ages and skill. He said he can't guarantee there aren't more moves coming.

Jay McKee was asked about the lack of edge on the team and that fans are very quiet and don't have anything to get excited about. He said that it's not just the Rangers. The league has cracked down to decrease fighting, the after whistle scrums are gone, head checking penalties are called and the days of stick swinging are over. The game has changed. Concussions are a huge factor and are serious. He pointed out that in Buffalo Barnaby had one that was so severe he temporarily couldn't see. McKee said if the defence stays healthy it will be very good. He said Stanley's skills and hands are better than he originally thought they were. He said Rickard Hugg has great speed and skill and that Liska is strong and like a bull in a china shop. He told a story of how at training camp the team started in the weight room in the morning then practiced and played a scrimmage. After the scrimmage Liska came up to him and said, we go back to weight room now coach?

Lots of positives at this meeting.

Of note though, with over 4,000 season tickets and let's say maybe half that number of individuals eligible to come to the AGM (if you buy a pair of season's tickets you only get one vote) only 116 showed up and 136 voted by proxy.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Looking at how the goaltending situation was unfolding MM made a smart move picking up Bouchard. Guess he was in the market all along with the information he had on Opilka.
He really ran out of options and took advantage of this deal when it came up.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Too bad about Opilka, he seemed very promising.

Smart move to pick up Bouchad. He and Richardson should be a solid duo. I still think the Rangers will be right there with Owen Sound this season.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Too bad about Opilka, he seemed very promising.

Smart move to pick up Bouchad. He and Richardson should be a solid duo. I still think the Rangers will be right there with Owen Sound this season.

Very unfortunate about Opilka, when he was healthy and on his game, he was sensational.

Richardson, Bouchard and McGonigle will have to step up and one of them will have to become our undisputed starter. I hope that goaltending depth becomes our strength through all of this.

Personally I think Richardson will come to the forefront and be the back bone for our team the next two seasons

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Micheal Vukojevic will be playing for the Green Bay Gamblers of the USHL according to Josh Brown on his blog.

he also mentions that both Bienkowski and McKenzie are willing to add a big name player if the situation arises.

Hopefully this team puts it together and we can finally be true buyers at the deadline.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
One number that came up last night that no one seems to be mentioning is $113,000 for the amount the Rangers (and probably every other team in the OHL) received from the Memorial Cup in Windsor. When compared to the total Ranger revenue of $6.6M, it doesn't seem like much, but for smaller budget teams, I am sure it is a boost to their bottom lines.

Also the Rangers made an average profit of $47,000 for each of their two home play off games.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
One number that came up last night that no one seems to be mentioning is $113,000 for the amount the Rangers (and probably every other team in the OHL) received from the Memorial Cup in Windsor. When compared to the total Ranger revenue of $6.6M, it doesn't seem like much, but for smaller budget teams, I am sure it is a boost to their bottom lines.

This definitely bears mentioning. It's unfortunate, but there's a reason the Cup is strictly a major market production these days.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Does anybody remember how much each team got when London last hosted in 2014? I would expect probably more than what we got this time around from Windsor since London with it's bigger building would've brought in more revenue.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
Does anybody remember how much each team got when London last hosted in 2014? I would expect probably more than what we got this time around from Windsor since London with it's bigger building would've brought in more revenue.

Looking at audit that KPMG did of the league's finances (p. 23), it looks like the total payout for the 2014 Memorial Cup was $2,666,040. That works out to $133,302 per team, so a good twenty grand more than the Windsor payout. Sounds about right.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Well with Richardson away at the Bruins camp we should get a decent read on the new goalie the next few day with games tonight, Friday and Saturday!

I went onto the QMJHL site and asked about Anthony Dumont-Bouchard (lets just go with ADB?) and here are the couple replies...
really good goalie, I don't know why any Q team grap him.
A lot of teams don't really want to go with a 20 yr old goalie if they can help it. For Bathurst, Pickard is their starter no matter what and it just came down to whether they'd want a guy who can back-up for a couple years like Tmej or stick with the 20 yr old taking up one of the overager spots.

Good that ADB is getting a shot at major junior for another year. He's a very good, consistent goalie.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Over the past decade, how many goaltenders have the Rangers developed to the point of them being drafted by NHL teams ? There are teams in the OHL who do have a reputation for developing quality goaltenders, and others who do not. Honest question here: Which group do you see the Rangers fitting into ?

Bring in an overage goaltender takes away a year of development potential for your younger goaltender prospects, so at what point do they progress sufficiently that the coaches have some confidence in them ? Does the team draft good goaltending prospects, or do they tend more toward acquiring what they need through trading ?

Just as an outsider, it would appear that the Rangers have been highly reliant on the trading route, as opposed to the development one, I could be wrong, but that's how I'm seeing it.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Goaltending

That was always my impression too, even going back to the Jamie MacDonald days. Not worrying about spending a high pick on a high-end goalie, just go the trade route.

Now mind you there have been exceptions. Scott Dickie, although not having been drafted all that early certainly developed well.

They did take Carlo DiRienzo relatively high with arguably less than stellar results. I know I could be missing more examples but it just seems the Rangers always have their sight set on skaters rather than 'tenders with their high picks.

They may as well have spent their 2017 2nd rounder on one. Maybe they get a player that reports. Major faux pas IMO.

Last edited:

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
The OHL is a win first league. They forsake development for success especially in regards to goaltenders. It has been said here on the board before, "goalies are cheap trading chips." Easier to trade for one than it is to draft and develop young talent.

Reactions: foghorn

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
I don't see drafting Michael Vukojevic in the 2nd round as a major faux pas. He has options. By playing in the USHL he keeps his NCAA options open. A verbal commitment to an NCAA school can be broken by both the school or the player. It's a smart move for him to keep those options as wide as possible until he has to decide.

5th round pick Jack York was verbally committed to the University of Maine, but decided to sign with the Rangers.

2nd Round Merrick Rippon decided he didn't want to play here and was traded for two 2nd round picks, one in 2018, another in 2021 and a conditional pick in 2023.

Developing NHL drafted players is something I agree can be done better. We do have Mascherin drafted in the 2nd round by Florida, Hall 3rd round by Pittsburgh and Bunnaman 4th round by Philly. However for whatever reason players like Garreffa, Meireles, McHugh, Richardson and Seitz were passed over in the recent draft.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
That was always my impression too, even going back to the Jamie MacDonald days. Not worrying about spending a high pick on a high-end goalie, just go the trade route.

Now mind you there have been exceptions. Scott Dickie, although not having been drafted all that early certainly developed well.

They did take Carlo DiRienzo relatively high with arguably less than stellar results. I know I could be missing more examples but it just seems the Rangers always have their sites on skaters rather than 'tenders with their high picks.

They may as well have spent their 2017 2nd rounder on one. Maybe they get a player that reports. Major faux pas IMO.

Opilka despite his injuries was a high end goalie and John Gibson was one of the best in the league. Good goalies are always available but great ones only come a long once in a while. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Every team seems to find a diamond in the rough once in a while. The Rangers were in a tough spot this year and had no choice but to look at available goalies. Very few goalies have the ability to step into the crease and take over at 16 or even 17 unless they are a DiPietro. Its always a gamble when you draft them.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
Maybe the optic's for the Rangers would be better served if they would have dealt for a goalie within the OHL? There are available goaltenders out there in the OHL if you are quite sure the 2 you have in your own system cannot carry the load. It's my opinion that we should keep as many OHL players playing in the league as we can, no urgent need to go get an OA goaltender from the QMJHL.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Agreed, Bobber. We've seen more than few goalies who showed promise but never took it to another level (and that's being polite). Opilka was highly thought of by the Blues organization and was right in there with Parsons for the U.S. team. Unfortunately, it looks as though his injuries may end his hockey career.

MM absolutely made the right move in bringing ADB on board with Richardson. Young Pfeil was not a viable option. And this keep it in the OHL seems ludicrous at best. Optics don't build a winning team.

hedgeway

Jan 1, 2010
Waterloo, ON
Maybe the optic's for the Rangers would be better served if they would have dealt for a goalie within the OHL? There are available goaltenders out there in the OHL if you are quite sure the 2 you have in your own system cannot carry the load. It's my opinion that we should keep as many OHL players playing in the league as we can, no urgent need to go get an OA goaltender from the QMJHL.

MM should only be worried about getting the best option for a good price, wherever that comes from. By all accounts he did that by giving up a 14th round pick for a guy who sounds like he can be a solid goalie.

I could nitpick as well and say that ADB actually came from Barrie, so it was within the OHL.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
MM should only be worried about getting the best option for a good price, wherever that comes from. By all accounts he did that by giving up a 14th round pick for a guy who sounds like he can be a solid goalie.

I could nitpick as well and say that ADB actually came from Barrie, so it was within the OHL.

100% agreed!!!!!

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I think the Rangers can be criticized for a number of things, just like any team. But they do lots of things right.

On my critical list would be the Vukojevic pick. Regardless of some of the defences I've heard, I don't think this team should be taking home run swings in the 2nd round unless there's a good chance of connecting. And on Vukojevic, there simply is not a good chance. All (and I mean all) of the info we have on him suggests there's almost no chance he comes.

I am also very critical of the goaltending development. I don't believe any of our recent goalies have improved much at all under the tutelage here and yet the organization promoted the coach. That makes no sense in any context other than that of a country club.

What I won't criticize them for is the acquisition of the new goalie. Trading a 14th round pick for a vet who has pretty decent numbers is a great move. I'm not sure he's any downgrade from Opilka and he was basically free. Pfeil is clearly not ready and McGonigle is still a ways off. That was a solid move. Getting anyone from the OHL would cost more and likely be an inferior goalie.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
I don't see drafting Michael Vukojevic in the 2nd round as a major faux pas. He has options. By playing in the USHL he keeps his NCAA options open. A verbal commitment to an NCAA school can be broken by both the school or the player. It's a smart move for him to keep those options as wide as possible until he has to decide.

I likely didn't make my post very clear. I suppose Vukojevic could possibly report down the road. But this is the way I see the outcome of the 2017 at this point. With their no. 1 pick the Rangers draft a player who was off the board, and one who some have described as seemingly a bit lost out on the ice to this point. No. 2 will not play here this year, and no guarantee after that. No. 3 gets sent down to Jr. B.

Now one could make arguments. Ladd was drafted because of his long term potential, and this team has enough veteran presence on D to bring him along slowly. Vukojevic isn't coming yet but may later. This team has lots of vets up front so there's no room for Gordon yet. Better that he develops in B. All good points.

IMO however is that it is very important for a consistently successful team not to screw up your first two picks, and if your 2nd is questionable then your next pick becomes all that more important.

My "faux pas" comment should likely be reworded as "Ranger drafting faux pas if he (Vukojevic) doesn't play a game in this league". MM has made good moves since he's had the reins, but I believe this was a risky selection....at least in my eyes. I'm still trying to understand the logic on that important no. 2 pick. If someone has the answer I'm very willing to listen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->