Kitchener Rangers 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerDanger

Jun 23, 2012
The Kitchener Rangers announced today the following players have been released from Training Camp:

Goaltenders: Connor Hasley, Jacob Hearne

Defencemen: Domenico Argento, Shane Donovan, Jesse Masterson, Chase Spencer

Forwards: Reece Bolton, Kobe Desmond, Graham Dickerson, Holden Doggett, Tyler Flack, Ryan O’Hara, Brayden Patricia, Alexander Trenton

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
The Kitchener Rangers announced today the following players have been released from Training Camp:

Goaltenders: Connor Hasley, Jacob Hearne

Defencemen: Domenico Argento, Shane Donovan, Jesse Masterson, Chase Spencer

Forwards: Reece Bolton, Kobe Desmond, Graham Dickerson, Holden Doggett, Tyler Flack, Ryan O’Hara, Brayden Patricia, Alexander Trenton

The surprise to me out of that bunch is Desmond. What I saw in the cpl of scrimmages I thought he would get a longer look. Good speed with a nice shot but he did play small but looked like he offensive upside. I just think the forwards are tough bunch to crack. But I do expect some forwards from last yrs team to be moved to make room for Gordon, Petizian and Peyton. Tresoor IMHO will waiting in the wings down with the Dutchies.
Garreffa look like he's gained about 5 extra steps and 3 extra gears to his skating. Maybe he's fresh and not worn down from playing defence, lets hope he stays up front. I project a Top 10 in the OHL scoring for him. Yantsis and Cole Carter has also impressed me this camp so far.

As for Argento, the red flags for me was those 9 teams in two years. He seemed decent enough on the ice but maybe has locker room issues ????...total speculation on my part! The surprise on defence has been Peterson. Maybe because it's just scrimmages but he doesn't look like a deer caught in the headlights anymore. At this times I have him neck to neck with Jack York with Gentles behind both of them. I think both York and Peterson has higher long-term upside than Gentles. Lets hope the coaching staff with give the depth d-men some reasonable icetime so they will be ready when called upon when injuries will invariably happen.

I also suspect that the Rangers will keep a close eye on goalie Connor Hasley for goalie of the future.

Last edited:

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
A few early kudos to Mike McKenzie, too.

Solid import draft yielding two potential impact forwards who both showed up for camp.

Solid draft with every signed player surviving the first round of cuts at camp including a couple later picks in Petizian and Tresoor.

Stanley Trade. Roberts trade for futures. Jack York ends up showing up at camp.

If we could just get Vukojevic to show...

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
So after the first 14 cuts Mike McKenzie still has to make further cuts from

Bunnaman, Mascherin, Damiani, Garreffa, Meireles, McHugh,Guest, Henderson, Hugg, Liska, Seitz, Peyton, Carter, Yantsis, Gordon, Petizian, Tresoor

Hall, Stanley, Blaisdell, Vallati, York, Gentles, Ladd, York, Peterson

Opilka, Richardson, McGonigle, Pfeil

Some like Tresoor may be sent to Jr B for more playing time. More moves to come. Still seem to be a few pieces away from competing against Owen Sound

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Can't say the cuts shock me, I thought Desmond outplayed Gordon and Tresoor but the rookies will be given more chance to get their feet wet.

Ladd didn't show much in preseason IMO. Hopefully when the games start this weekend he finds that next gear.

Richardson seems to be getting the starters role right off the hop, hopefully we get the Richardson we know he can be rather then what we saw in camp.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Ladd's knock in the past has been his intensity. If he ever finds it then he'll be a player but it may take him a while.

Appears Tresoor will play with the Siskins if he doesn't crack the Rangers lineup. http://www.kenoradailyminerandnews....to-make-his-mark-in-the-ontario-hockey-league

Ladd was drafted knowing he is a long term project. With the D they have coming back and the Stanley trade they plan on developing him over a couple of years. Not easy for a young D to make a huge splash right off the hop on a veteran team IMO.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Final scrimmage......

Stanley makes everyone look small. Even Connor Hall who has bulked. Peterson has upped his level for sure. York adds a different dimension. Hello......Vukojevic? Come and play with the blue!

Damiani goal on Pfeil a thing of beauty. Pfeil was perfectly set and had it covered...he thought. Damiani flipped it up and through a seemingly impossible space. Wow!

Liska on the line with Damiani. Nice combo and he's going to be a threat every time he's on the ice. Once he settles into the small ice surface......

Guest IS bigger. Looked good with McHugh and Sietz.

Blaisdell is steady and makes good choices. I don't think he gets enough credit for what he does.

Petzian. Small but dangerous and went right in on Stanley. No fear. And Tresoor, who they signed, has serious skill. Nice add.

Joey. One man wrecking crew. He had the 5 opposing players in the zone skating around in circles. So fun to watch. He's the heart attack kid.

‎Hugg!!! Once he adapts, look out. He's everywhere and doesn't give up on the puck.

Bunnaman from Carter (who's been burning up the ice) on the PP. No waiting. Bang bang IN. Bunny looks bigger too. Well, as long as he isn't standing beside Stanley. : )

Yup, Ladd seemed a little mesmerized by it all. Vallati looked great and will be even more effective this year.

I too felt a different atmosphere on the ice this year. Let's see that transfer into the season. The mini tournament this weekend should be a nice test to see how things will hopefully build. OH....and a chance to see our D truly do some hitting. No more flying into the Rangers zone and doing what ever you want.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
For those wanting Vukojevic signed. Remember with Tresoor, Petizian, Gordon and Ladd already signed, that 4 signed players as 16 year olds. What is the card situation looking like?

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
For those wanting Vukojevic signed. Remember with Tresoor, Petizian, Gordon and Ladd already signed, that 4 signed players as 16 year olds. What is the card situation looking like?

A Ryan McInnis situation does seem likely here. At the end of the season Stanley, Hall and Blaisdell all graduate. There will be a lot more ice time up for grabs next season.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
What does everyone think our D pairs will be?

Stanley - Vallatti
Hall - York
Blaisdell - Ladd
Peterson, Gentles as extras

I think this might be the best pairs we can do, just with handedness limitations
I think Vallatti will play his offside to be on the top pair

Having two RD really changed what I thought our pairs would look like

Can see the argument for Blaisdell in the top 4

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I haven't seen York yet this year, but based on what I saw the year before, I wouldn't yet anoint him a second pairing guy. I know he's a right shot, but he will need a lot of seasoning at this level. I expect he'll rotate in and out of the lineup.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I went on Twitter this morning and asked for the link to the LIVE streaming. It could possibly be here and the large graphic at the top becomes the streaming screen. Communication of this aspect is horrendous. If I get an answer via Twitter, I will post it. NOTE: This IS the link. Screen is up. Not FREE. $7.95 per game. Geesh.

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/ohl-pre-season-showcase/

Last edited:

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Last edited:

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I don't know why I thought it would be a free stream - $7.95 for each game (USD?)

Well, hope I can make it home for 4pm today, I won't be paying that for half a game that's for sure.
Very disappointed in the price, but it's better then driving down and getting a hotel I suppose.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Future NHL players will inhabit HarborCenter this weekend. No one is looking forward to it more than a couple of former Sabres.
Jay McKee and Matthew Barnaby will be back in Buffalo as their Kitchener Rangers participate in the HarborCenter OHL Showcase.

Six Ontario Hockey League teams will start their exhibition schedule Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
The Erie Otters, Flint Firebirds, North Bay Battalion, Peterborough Petes and Windsor Spitfires will join the Rangers in Buffalo.

Barnaby is back as one of McKee's assistant coaches. They were teammates with the Sabres in the late 1990s.
McKee played defense in Buffalo from 1996 to 2006, while Barnaby was a feisty forward from 1993 to 1999.

In addition to McKee and Barnaby, Kitchener boasts another local product. Forward Dylan Seitz of Eden is starting his second season with the Rangers.
The 18-year-old totaled eight goals and 19 points in 65 games last year. "Dylan Seitz will be playing at least two of the games," McKee said.
"We've got three games, and we're trying to spread out some ice time and involve everybody."

Kitchener went 36-27-5 last year and lost in the first round of the playoffs.
Erie and Peterborough won their respective conferences, while Flint and Windsor also made the postseason.
The showcase will put them all on their way to the 2017-2018 season.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Well, hope I can make it home for 4pm today, I won't be paying that for half a game that's for sure.
Very disappointed in the price, but it's better then driving down and getting a hotel I suppose.

If it is anything like the OHL Livestream, it would be a waste to pay it. Especially considering this is still a preseason game.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
If it is anything like the OHL Livestream, it would be a waste to pay it. Especially considering this is still a preseason game.

I agree that it's a little wasteful, but so is the hundreds I spend on season tickets, jerseys, etc.
Guess it depends if you can justify it to yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad