Kitchener Rangers 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
The thing about building a perennial contender is that the past 2 drafts we have only drafted 1 forward the 1st two rounds (Damiani) and he isn't ranked very high for the upcoming NHL draft. Someone (I believe SFC) did a breakdown where successful teams high end scorers are drafted and if memory serves me a very high percentage was the first 2 rounds. Although time will tell, it doesn't seem to me that the past 2 drafts are very conducive to building a high end team. I think MM has made several other moves that have Rangers going in the right direction. Let's hope his draft turns out too.

Yup, that was me. Not to say the Rangers' blueprint of going D-first can't work, but it wouldn't be how I would build a team.

To add to that, I actually think the Rangers have done pretty well drafting in the lower rounds the past few years. It's been the first couple that have been problematic.

Here's a question for everyone who wants to avoid being stuck in the middle of the pack each year. Was the 2015-2016 Rangers team mediocre? They finished with 95 and a +59 GD, and were top-ten in the CHL most of the year, but, of course, were swept by London in the second round.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
Here's a question for everyone who wants to avoid being stuck in the middle of the pack each year. Was the 2015-2016 Rangers team mediocre? They finished with 95 and a +59 GD, and were top-ten in the CHL most of the year, but, of course, were swept by London in the second round.

You can prove anything with stats, so in 15-16 they finished 3rd in the division, so mediocre.

In the end, for me 15-16 was an okay season, but did they win anything?

It is a sad situation where we have to have this discussion. Steve B. went through the 10 year plan on Monday, I will give him his 10 years, but I want to see some positive results over the 10 years that show the Rangers are going in the right direction.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Today was deja vu all over again. Rangers looked scrambly and Bouchard was easy pickings on the first four shots.

Can't blame him for those goals, all odd man rushes or giveaways, team needs to help him way more then that

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
You can prove anything with stats, so in 15-16 they finished 3rd in the division, so mediocre.

In the end, for me 15-16 was an okay season, but did they win anything?

It is a sad situation where we have to have this discussion. Steve B. went through the 10 year plan on Monday, I will give him his 10 years, but I want to see some positive results over the 10 years that show the Rangers are going in the right direction.

Good point Medway. I worked with one of the directors for a few years. Several years ago he told me the plan going forward was to have a solid base of vets and build a repeating contender every three years. Sounds now like they pulled that old plan out of the moth balls.:) The 10 year idea from Steve B reminds me of the guy that went to the doctor and was told he had five years to live. He couldn't pay his doctor bill so the doc gave him five more years: laugh: Fans here seem to be in the twilight zone. After every season we say I will give these guys two or three years and then we say the same for their replacements. Not sure if the Ranger staff has recently discovered some unknown paradigm but sounds like we are starting from scratch again. Certainly hope not.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Can't blame him for those goals, all odd man rushes or giveaways, team needs to help him way more then that

Tom you are correct. The Rangers just weren't ready at the start of the game. Maybe they get a mulligan for sitting out in the baking sun in the parking lot signing autographs. Also the Dogs goalie seemed sharp yesterday.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
ADB was hung out to dry by his team at the first of the game. Next thing you know it's 3-0 all because the team in front of him was sleeping. Partying last night? It sure looked like it. They seem to wake up more in the 2nd but way too many wasted PP opportunities. Hey, there was some great passing back and forth but you do have to put it on the net to score. Then, in the 3rd, Dogs woke up and Rangers sagged.

I thought ADB settled in after the flurry in the 1st. Hey, first time in the Aud....some nerves I'm sure.....and an energized and speedy Dog pack blasting away at will. The boys should be ashamed of their play. It was pathetic at best.

To be fair, there were sparks of things to come by the offense but as a longtime Rangers fan, I'd be happier to see a fire on every shift.

We'd better see a different team this Friday against Flint! There's no time to "ease" into the season with the next 5 home games against OS (3), Erie (1), London (1).

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
The more I watch of this team, the more trouble I have getting into the games. I know it's pre-season and we're missing some key guys, but there is a complete lack of dynamic in how they're coached. You can chalk yesterday up to a bad start, but the reads were so soft and poor it's unbelievable. And offensively, it was more of the same harmless peripheral play with weak shots.

But in sticking to the positive, I will say I thought Vallati was tremendous. I also was cautiously optimistic about York. Last I saw him (a year ago) I thought he was getting burned all over and making poor outlets. He definitely struggles still with his neutral zone reads and his jumping up will have to be more cautious, but his offensive reads were far better and it looks like he has grown. I now have him firmly above Peterson based on what I saw.

It's early. I'll wait. But that sure did not look like a team that has had 2.5 weeks of intensive camp coaching.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The more I watch of this team, the more trouble I have getting into the games. I know it's pre-season and we're missing some key guys, but there is a complete lack of dynamic in how they're coached. You can chalk yesterday up to a bad start, but the reads were so soft and poor it's unbelievable. And offensively, it was more of the same harmless peripheral play with weak shots.

But in sticking to the positive, I will say I thought Vallati was tremendous. I also was cautiously optimistic about York. Last I saw him (a year ago) I thought he was getting burned all over and making poor outlets. He definitely struggles still with his neutral zone reads and his jumping up will have to be more cautious, but his offensive reads were far better and it looks like he has grown. I now have him firmly above Peterson based on what I saw.

It's early. I'll wait. But that sure did not look like a team that has had 2.5 weeks of intensive camp coaching.
Tim I agree with your assessment of yesterdays game. I wasn't overly impressed with the speed of the imports. Maybe they will look different once the regular season starts. Peyton also seemed lacking speed at times also. Its so important to have that element in todays game. Also have to mention that the battles in front of the Dogs net were futile for the most part. A huge portion of goals in hockey are now scored out of scrums. Petizian is small but has a powerful stride. Just seems to get knocked around along the boards.

Last edited:

Mowman

Jan 17, 2017
So what is everybody thinking we will do with the captains? Usually they go with 4 A's (2 home, 2 away).

My guess is...

C - Connor Hall
A - Connor Bunnaman
A - Adam Mascherin
A - Joseph Garreffa
A - Logan Stanley

I could see Doug Blaidell with an A as well.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
So what is everybody thinking we will do with the captains? Usually they go with 4 A's (2 home, 2 away).

My guess is...

C - Connor Hall
A - Connor Bunnaman
A - Adam Mascherin
A - Joseph Garreffa
A - Logan Stanley

Mash had 100 points and this is his last season likely would be a great captain. Logan Stanley seems to be a player the others look up to. No pun intended. I would be happy with one of Mash, Hall or Stanley.

hedgeway

Jan 1, 2010
Waterloo, ON

My guess is...

C - Connor Hall
A - Connor Bunnaman
A - Adam Mascherin
A - Joseph Garreffa
A - Logan Stanley

Was just mulling this over myself the other day. They have several good candidates with none really standing out above another. Mascherin, Bunnaman, Hall, and Stanley all have to be in thr running.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Easily, Connor Hall would be my captain.

After him, you have to think Stanley's experience and the intangibles he brings (see Hall) would make him an automatic assistant. The veteran star and team's top forward Mascherin would be my other assistant.

That's it. I'm not a fan of going with a series of assistant captains just because. Whoever makes the selections needs to make a decision, pick three guys, and there you go. Just because you're a veteran player or a fan favourite doesn't mean you have to be given a letter.

As far as I'm concerned, the less letters given out the more value they hold and the more meaning they have.

Mowman

Jan 17, 2017
Easily, Connor Hall would be my captain.

After him, you have to think Stanley's experience and the intangibles he brings (see Hall) would make him an automatic assistant. The veteran star and team's top forward Mascherin would be my other assistant.

That's it. I'm not a fan of going with a series of assistant captains just because. Whoever makes the selections needs to make a decision, pick three guys, and there you go. Just because you're a veteran player or a fan favourite doesn't mean you have to be given a letter.

As far as I'm concerned, the less letters given out the more value they hold and the more meaning they have.

I do agree with you 100%. Just based on the Rangers history of handing out letters, I figured 4 players would get an A, so that is why I had the guesses I had.\

If it was up to me though, I would hand out 3 letter. Hall as captain, with Bunnaman and Garreffa as A's. Garreffa has more than proven his worth.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I do agree with you 100%. Just based on the Rangers history of handing out letters, I figured 4 players would get an A, so that is why I had the guesses I had.\

If it was up to me though, I would hand out 3 letter. Hall as captain, with Bunnaman and Garreffa as A's. Garreffa has more than proven his worth.
I love Hall's grit. Just not sure he has played enough games in a Ranger uni to justify giving him the C. Bunner is a big kid (220 pounds now) needs to use his size more. He deserves an A. Mascherin definitely deserves at least the A. Third highest scorer in the league last season. Stanley is a huge factor in this years squad. Something makes me think he will get the C after hearing MM say the players play with more confidence on the ice when he is out there. If Hall did get it I would be pleased though. I love those gritty types. Joey has done everything he has been asked to do here. I doubt he will get a letter but would be great if he did. Teams seem to be all over the map now with these decisions. Who knows what will happen.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
I love Hall's grit. Just not sure he has played enough games in a Ranger uni to justify giving him the C. Bunner is a big kid (220 pounds now) needs to use his size more. He deserves an A. Mascherin definitely deserves at least the A. Third highest scorer in the league last season. Stanley is a huge factor in this years squad. Something makes me think he will get the C after hearing MM say the players play with more confidence on the ice when he is out there. If Hall did get it I would be pleased though. I love those gritty types. Joey has done everything he has been asked to do here. I doubt he will get a letter but would be great if he did. Teams seem to be all over the map now with these decisions. Who knows what will happen.

Yeah I tend to agree that we may have our favourites as far as captains but it's a sort of a crap
shoot. If I called the shots I would easily give Mascherin C, Hall, Stanley, Bunn A' s. Mascherin leads on and off the ice as well as or better than anyone on the team as proven with his scoring and pizza donation from a couple weeks ago.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
So what is everybody thinking we will do with the captains? Usually they go with 4 A's (2 home, 2 away)...

Adam Mascherin for C this year. A’s to Stanley and Hall (any extra A’s to Bunnaman, Blaisdell or Henderson). JoeyG gets strong consideration next year & I'd probably name 4 A's this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad