Kitchener Rangers 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
I agree that it's a little wasteful, but so is the hundreds I spend on season tickets, jerseys, etc.
Guess it depends if you can justify it to yourself

They have a 90 second preview before they ask you to buy a ticket. Great quality being shown, much better than OHL Livestream.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Unless the crowd was late arriving, it seemed like there might only be a few dozen people out to watch the KIT/NB game in Buffalo. Streaming preview looked like an amateurish one camera pan & zoom affair so I didn't bother ordering.

Last edited:

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Bunnaman scored in the first
Quick turn in the high slot after recovering the puck and whipped it in.

Meireles scored a breakaway goal after muscling past and out skating a defender.

Stanley got in a fight, not sure what got him so hot, but he got the instigator, and a game misconduct after sufficiently pummelling his opponent.

But NB has scored two PP goals early third for a 3-2 NB lead.

H0CKEY17

Sep 1, 2017
Unless the crowd was late arriving, it seemed like there might only be a few dozen people out to watch the KIT/NB game in Buffalo. Streaming preview looked like an amateurish one camera pan & zoom affair so I didn't bother ordering.

I paid to watch it. Fans were nonexistent the whole game and I was dizzy by the end of the game (very choppy but I don't know if that was just my internet or the site).

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I altered the Vid stream resolution and could sometimes make out the numbers on players' backs. lol Rangers had tweeted the lineup so that helped somewhat with who was on the ice. Not in the lineup: Garreffa, Mascherin, Henderson, Carter, Hugg, Hall, Gentles

It looked as though the opposing player was prepared to throw down his gloves but Stanley beat him to it and then demolished him. His absence from the game was obvious and the 5 on 3 going into the 3rd hurt them.

Rangers looked good in the 1st......sagged in the 2nd......and didn't give up in the 3rd. Bunnaman from Liska and Vallati tied it up with seconds remaining. Then the shootout. Only one player scored....Brampton. I do hate shootouts. I can't help but wonder why Liska wasn't used in the shootout.

And yes.....an empty barn. The new Rangers are going to be in for a treat when they play the exhibition game at the Aud.

Box score: http://ontariohockeyleague.com/gamecentre/23067/boxscore

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I altered the Vid stream resolution and could sometimes make out the numbers on players' backs. lol Rangers had tweeted the lineup so that helped somewhat with who was on the ice. Not in the lineup: Garreffa, Mascherin, Henderson, Carter, Hugg, Hall, Gentles

It looked as though the opposing player was prepared to throw down his gloves but Stanley beat him to it and then demolished him. His absence from the game was obvious and the 5 on 3 going into the 3rd hurt them.

Rangers looked good in the 1st......sagged in the 2nd......and didn't give up in the 3rd. Bunnaman from Liska and Vallati tied it up with seconds remaining. Then the shootout. Only one player scored....Brampton. I do hate shootouts. I can't help but wonder why Liska wasn't used in the shootout.

And yes.....an empty barn. The new Rangers are going to be in for a treat when they play the exhibition game at the Aud.

Box score: http://ontariohockeyleague.com/gamecentre/23067/boxscore

I also altered my feed quality at the bottom. It did lag at times, but a simple pause and wait a few minutes and I had the 480p setting running nicely.

Definitely saw a lot to like in the game with the speed of the forwards showing.
Will be watching again today

And yes, I can't wait for the new guys to see the Aud on the 16th, lots of excitement for this season!

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Oh boy, did we look sloppy today.

Pfeil was in net, and we dressed a lot of young guys.
Need to work on cleaning up the passing, lots of slow passes getting picked off leading to breakaways or odd man chances for Peterborough.

I can't see Pfeil staying as a backup long term. If McGonigle isn't ready for the season, we may need to pull the trigger on a trade.

One more game in the tournament tomorrow night then a week of practice with a bunch of guys leaving for NHL camps after that. Hopefully coaches are ready to make some tweaks and get us ready for the season.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Pete's had Wells in net (Oilers prospect) as well as Ang and others. Rangers had young Pfeil in net (#4 goalie). I thought considering that the kid did well. He was left to hang out to dry more than once.

No Stanley, Mascherin (of course), Bunnaman, Meireles, Henderson, and Liska. The lines were mixed with rookies. No PP unit. Just whatever line, they happened to send out. Coaches seem more focused on evaluating the younger players than worrying about the outcome. Hey, that's what exhibition is for.

At 5-3 for the Pete's in the 3rd, Rangers had an opportunity to make it 4 on a PP but Ang grabbed the puck and blew past (York?.....not sure) and boom, it was 6-3. They kept trying to the end and the shots overall were pretty even.

McHugh's turn to get into a fight and earn a game misconduct.

Also that day, Sarnia whomped London (returning the favour) and Guelph beat Missy (with McLeod etc playing).

Erie tonight...yet to lose. I'll be interested in seeing the lineup.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
At 5-3 for the Pete's in the 3rd, Rangers had an opportunity to make it 4 on a PP but Ang grabbed the puck and blew past (York?.....not sure) and boom, it was 6-3.

This is my concern with York. In my viewings, he has really struggled with the outside speed of players his age. Some vets in this league will eat him up.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
This is my concern with York. In my viewings, he has really struggled with the outside speed of players his age. Some vets in this league will eat him up.

Been more impressed with Peterson then York. Getting shots through and has the size I'd like on the blue line.

Mar 12, 2009
LoneRanger on RR whose opinion seems to be respected even when mentioned here is fairly high on him, more so than Gentles and Peterson. I'm willing to watch him myself during a regular season game before writing him off. Even then I'd give him some time to adjust to this league. Peterson has never gotten a lot of time, but I was rarely impressed beyond decent size. Haven't seen him yet this year, hoping he has made some kind of next step in his game. It will be interesting to see how the bottom pairing takes shape this season, definitely some question marks there.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
I was looking at the annual reports from the Rangers and they list the various committees but there is no hockey committee. Does it still exist? If not who looks after the subscriber's interests in hockey decisions?

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Thankfully that was committee was disbanded. It was useless. You hire a GM and Coach and let them do their job. They don't need a committee to approve trades or who plays on what line.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Who hires the COO?:)

My admittedly uninformed opinion is the committee was formally disbanded to make it inaccessible (unaccountable?) I'm fairly sure there is some sort of committee in place that hires Bienkowski and approves his hockey moves.

Binky is like the Teflon Don. Let's hope he's finally made a decent move hiring MM. I'm cautiously optimistic right now.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
I believe in the case of the GM the executive would do the hiring process, likely guided by stringent HR guidelines and possibly n executive search company

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Hows Gordon look? Played minor hockey here in PEI. Will he stick?

He's been a little tentative in my opinion. It would probably be best for him to play a year of Jr B getting lots of minutes then to sit in the press box for the Rangers.
Rangers have a lot of returning forwards and two new import forwards. Not much room for the rookie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad