Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
he has not been at camp and was not at his nhl camp, thats all i will say.

if i know this, you can trust me when i tell you, over age players are not very coveted right now unless they are truly high end.
Did Zito get offered a contract before the deadline if not he really did not have a team to go to in the NHL.

I assume that he is done with Junior hockey and is looking toward his future life out of hockey

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Savard is a good pick and the price does sound cheap.

As to Callen I don't know enough but would suggest that if he can be a role player on the team then keep him until a definite need or deal for other players arrives. At this point, his value to Kingston is on the ice not on the trade market there are too many forwards

That being said if an R D becomes avail it might not be a bad idea. You have a heavy L defence

Pienemmi is not listed with the Pens so I assume he is back in Europe playing international and for Karpat.

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
Pienemmi is not listed with the Pens so I assume he is back in Europe playing international and for Karpat.
From what I understand thru a poster on here. Pienemmi never went to Pittsburgh staying with Karpat and the team is struggling and he is not receiving to many minutes on ice.

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
From what I understand thru a poster on here. Pienemmi never went to Pittsburgh staying with Karpat and the team is struggling and he is not receiving to many minutes on ice.
Looking at the Karpat stats he is one of 6 D that have dressed for all 5 games so far so he cannot be doing that bad. I still think he is being worked in slowly so that he can develop again just like a rookie in the OHL is not put on the top defensive pairing but brought along to get used to the size and speed.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
All starts tonight! Very interested where they slot guys like Savard, Hopkins and Weir to start the regular season

Reactions: Petes1987

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
All starts tonight! Very interested where they slot guys like Savard, Hopkins and Weir to start the regular season
My guess:
Thibodeau - Outwater - Miedema
Soto - Hopkins - Hemstrom
Heyes- Poole - Callens
Savard- Cavallin - Battaglia
Weir

Holmes - McGowan
Budnick - Scheneider
Williamson - Uens
Bergeron

Reactions: Section5Petes

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Just want to put this here that after reading the media previews from around the league I think the Fronts are getting badly underestimated. I’m seeing middle of the pack at best from the media.

I really think with two more D adds (OA and our Euro showing up), this team will challenge for the conference. Only weakness I see if we get those two spots filled is behind the bench.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Tough loss tonight. Team played great through two periods then fell asleep in the third. Petes goalie won it for them. He was excellent. Miedema looked great as well. Looks like he is in for a big year. Will be nice to get Ludwinski and Burns back.

Vaccari had a night to forget. The pucks were really bouncing off him. He did have a couple real nice saves to keep them in it but unfortunately as a goalie if you don’t play well your team probably loses, even if they play well in front of you. Hopefully he bounces back and forgets about this one as they need him to be an elite team.

Edit: Just saw that Burns has been sent back from St. Louis so he should be in the lineup tomorrow night.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Tough loss tonight. Team played great through two periods then fell asleep in the third. Petes goalie won it for them. He was excellent. Miedema looked great as well. Looks like he is in for a big year. Will be nice to get Ludwinski and Burns back.

Vaccari had a night to forget. The pucks were really bouncing off him. He did have a couple real nice saves to keep them in it but unfortunately as a goalie if you don’t play well your team probably loses, even if they play well in front of you. Hopefully he bounces back and forgets about this one as they need him to be an elite team.

Edit: Just saw that Burns has been sent back from St. Louis so he should be in the lineup tomorrow night.
Frasca too!! Good effort for them though I was impressed with the offensive output.

Their goalie definitely stole the show just like in the pre season I believe it was the same one that played so well against us

I assume it’ll be a week or so until we get ludwinski back but glad we get burns that’ll be great.

Weird lines today I think he wanted a balanced and attack across all 4 lines considering the pieces we were missing up front. Real head scratcher though putting meidema 3rd line and savard 4th line. Also surprised weir didn’t play. I wonder if he got sent down or what they plan on doing with him. Can’t have a high skill young guy like weir sitting out tons of games.

Reactions: ottsabrefan

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Petes fan popping in here to say I think you have a good one in Jacob Holmes. His overall numbers are a bit underwhelming and he's played mostly out west so I haven't seen him in person that much prior to tonight but he has a HUGE shot and seems to me like there is a ton of untapped offense in there that Kingston is putting him in a position to find.

Fronts dominated the last half of the first period and the entirety of the second. Petes were lucky to still be in it. Peterborough played a strong third and it was enough to win this game but I like what I saw from Kingston.

I always love coming down to a game in Kingston every year (I mean... KBC, Red House, Merchant all five minutes from the arena). Cheers to a great year.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Frasca too!! Good effort for them though I was impressed with the offensive output.

Their goalie definitely stole the show just like in the pre season I believe it was the same one that played so well against us

I assume it’ll be a week or so until we get ludwinski back but glad we get burns that’ll be great.

Weird lines today I think he wanted a balanced and attack across all 4 lines considering the pieces we were missing up front. Real head scratcher though putting meidema 3rd line and savard 4th line. Also surprised weir didn’t play. I wonder if he got sent down or what they plan on doing with him. Can’t have a high skill young guy like weir sitting out tons of games.
I think you are thinking of the wrong Frasca - Gabriel is still hurt, and out til November -Jacob was released by the Leafs - but he's a Barrie Colt.
As for the 3rd line comment -- just because they are listed in that order on the social media post doesn't mean its 1-2-3-4 - Miedema played top minutes, including power play and the last 2 minutes of the game he was on the whole time.
Weir isn't ready for the OHL -- his overall skill maybe good, but he doesn't think the game quick enough yet and probably could use some time in the OJHL to ramp up. It worked for Easton Cowan last season going from Komolka (where Weir played 5 games) to London to being drafted .....

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023

I disagree about the "night to forget comment". Let's look at the five goals -
1. Uens and McGowan behind the net, no forward supporting in front of the net - puck comes out and onto petes stick - goal (outwater should have had the guy)
2. Uens and McGowan behind the red line, Uens in one corner, Mcgowan battling behind the net, Hopkins the C doesn't pick up the late man into the slot and puck pops out and onto his stick -
3. This is the only one Vaccari would probably be upset about -- the linesmen really should have blown the faceoff dead, as the Fronts all thought he was going to but instead puck gets dropped, petes win cleanly back to the winger on the top of teh circle who walks around unimpeded and shots top corner -
4. 5-3 pp goal - 3 fronts blocked 3 shots in a row -- petes moved the puck well and kept firing the puck - not too much for Vaccari
5. another PP goal - really good puck movement on the petes power play - again not much for Vaccari.

I think Vaccari had a really good game. He was tracking the puck well, and not giving up much on rebounds. Despite Stutzka's play in the other end, I thought he had lots of pucks bouncing off of him, Fronts just didn't capatialize.

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
1. Uens and McGowan behind the net, no forward supporting in front of the net - puck comes out and onto petes stick - goal (outwater should have had the guy)
2. Uens and McGowan behind the red line, Uens in one corner, Mcgowan battling behind the net, Hopkins the C doesn't pick up the late man into the slot and puck pops out and onto his stick -
3. This is the only one Vaccari would probably be upset about -- the linesmen really should have blown the faceoff dead, as the Fronts all thought he was going to but instead puck gets dropped, petes win cleanly back to the winger on the top of teh circle who walks around unimpeded and shots top corner -
4. 5-3 pp goal - 3 fronts blocked 3 shots in a row -- petes moved the puck well and kept firing the puck - not too much for Vaccari
5. another PP goal - really good puck movement on the petes power play - again not much for Vaccari.

I think Vaccari had a really good game. He was tracking the puck well, and not giving up much on rebounds. Despite Stutzka's play in the other end, I thought he had lots of pucks bouncing off of him, Fronts just didn't capatialize.
Fairly accurate assessment on the goals actually. I just went and watched the highlights on ohl scores. Easier to break them down as opposed to seeing them live on TV. Those first two goals were definitely forwards neglecting their defensive responsibilities. The video doesn't lie. Yes Outwater should have battled harder there on first one. Watch Thibodeau closely on the first two goals though. His positioning is unreal and it actually looks like he tries to avoid making plays each time to prevent the goal. Also the second one Soto actually shoots puck in his own net.

No way the third one should have counted. Not sure how that wasn't blown dead by at least one ref when puck dropped.

5 on 3 goal - stay out of the box!!!

5th goal both Schneider and Williamson missed their guy.

Wonder what's up with Burns. People saying he is back tonight on here bc not listed in St. Louis but Fronts Facebook video yesterday showed him getting on the bus to go to Peterborough?

Did Holmes get hurt? it seemed like he missed a good portion of the third period.

Game 1 and discipline an issue already. I'm sure the coach will address it and hold players accountable. This is me rolling my eyes!!!!!!!

Truthking

Mar 27, 2016
Fairly accurate assessment on the goals actually. I just went and watched the highlights on ohl scores. Easier to break them down as opposed to seeing them live on TV. Those first two goals were definitely forwards neglecting their defensive responsibilities. The video doesn't lie. Yes Outwater should have battled harder there on first one. Watch Thibodeau closely on the first two goals though. His positioning is unreal and it actually looks like he tries to avoid making plays each time to prevent the goal. Also the second one Soto actually shoots puck in his own net.

No way the third one should have counted. Not sure how that wasn't blown dead by at least one ref when puck dropped.

Wonder what's up with Burns. People saying he is back tonight on here bc not listed in St. Louis but Fronts Facebook video yesterday showed him getting on the bus to go to Peterborough?

Did Holmes get hurt? it seemed like he missed a good portion of the third period.

Game 1 and discipline an issue already. I'm sure the coach will address it and hold players accountable. This is me rolling my eyes!!!!!!!
They only had 4 penalties…. Petes had 8. Do you want the kids to get benched for taking a penalty?

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
They only had 4 penalties…. Petes had 8. Do you want the kids to get benched for taking a penalty?
Timing and types of penalties mean everything. You don't just add the totals for each team. Also, choosing not to play defensively is a lack of discipline - i.e. Thibodeau on first two goals.

10 minute misconduct - takes gloves off and sets them and stick on ice but then doesn't even attempt to engage with anyone. So one of our supposed top D men is in the box for 10 minutes which overlaps a good portion of the time that Holmes was not on the bench/playing for whatever reason. That's a lack of discipline.

5 on 3 goal that was a huge factor in the game. Were the penalties on an attempt to prevent a goal. No. A high stick followed by an unsportsmanlike conduct by an over ager. That's a lack of discipline. And my point was not necessarily to knock on the kids but more of a jab at Caputi. He doesn't hold anyone accountable. Probably was screaming at the ref instead sending a message to the guilty parties. Watch. The three mentioned above will probably start tonight.

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
I totally agree with the assessments of the goals. Outwater and Tibideau had no battle and let the Petes walk in easily for the first two goals. If you are a coach, this is the time to sit a player. That line really gets man handled at times.Third goal was embarrassing for the league, never seen something like that before, how the refs allowed that draw to continue without blowing it dead is mind boggling.

I disagree about the holding players accountable comment if it’s in reference to Savard. If you watched the play Savard saw the Pete’s player going in against McGowan on the boards, he grabbed him before he got there, maybe one shove too much but he’s the added grit we need.

I think Caputi sat Savard after that and the Pete’s started to get the advantage. Don’t agree with that coaching decision, Savard was protecting his team mate. I really liked the fourth line, all three guys had lots of energy and it is the most I’ve seen Battaglia finish his checks.

No way should that have been a two man advantage. The only player to do something stupid was Budnick when he dropped his gloves 10 feet from the Petes player.

One Improvement needed On PP is to get the puck to Holimes. He has a rocket, I know Miedema was looking for the hat trick but the puck really needed to get to Holmes.

FrontalLobe

Feb 23, 2023
I totally agree with the assessments of the goals. Outwater and Tibideau had no battle and let the Petes walk in easily for the first two goals. If you are a coach, this is the time to sit a player. That line really gets man handled at times.Third goal was embarrassing for the league, never seen something like that before, how the refs allowed that draw to continue without blowing it dead is mind boggling.

I disagree about the holding players accountable comment if it’s in reference to Savard. If you watched the play Savard saw the Pete’s player going in against McGowan on the boards, he grabbed him before he got there, maybe one shove too much but he’s the added grit we need.

I think Caputi sat Savard after that and the Pete’s started to get the advantage. Don’t agree with that coaching decision, Savard was protecting his team mate. I really liked the fourth line, all three guys had lots of energy and it is the most I’ve seen Battaglia finish his checks.

No way should that have been a two man advantage. The only player to do something stupid was Budnick when he dropped his gloves 10 feet from the Petes player.

One Improvement needed On PP is to get the puck to Holimes. He has a rocket, I know Miedema was looking for the hat trick but the puck really needed to get to Holmes.

Good points.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think you are thinking of the wrong Frasca - Gabriel is still hurt, and out til November -Jacob was released by the Leafs - but he's a Barrie Colt.
As for the 3rd line comment -- just because they are listed in that order on the social media post doesn't mean its 1-2-3-4 - Miedema played top minutes, including power play and the last 2 minutes of the game he was on the whole time.
Weir isn't ready for the OHL -- his overall skill maybe good, but he doesn't think the game quick enough yet and probably could use some time in the OJHL to ramp up. It worked for Easton Cowan last season going from Komolka (where Weir played 5 games) to London to being drafted .....
I was talking about Gabriel frasca how they’re missing him too. That’s a good top 6 player.

Yes I’m hoping they give him some regular season games here as they’re different from pre season and then send him down there.

Realistically over the last couple of years guys like brooks and cavallin probably could’ve benefitted from that. I’m hoping weir stays healthy and develops well there.

Timing and types of penalties mean everything. You don't just add the totals for each team. Also, choosing not to play defensively is a lack of discipline - i.e. Thibodeau on first two goals.

10 minute misconduct - takes gloves off and sets them and stick on ice but then doesn't even attempt to engage with anyone. So one of our supposed top D men is in the box for 10 minutes which overlaps a good portion of the time that Holmes was not on the bench/playing for whatever reason. That's a lack of discipline.

5 on 3 goal that was a huge factor in the game. Were the penalties on an attempt to prevent a goal. No. A high stick followed by an unsportsmanlike conduct by an over ager. That's a lack of discipline. And my point was not necessarily to knock on the kids but more of a jab at Caputi. He doesn't hold anyone accountable. Probably was screaming at the ref instead sending a message to the guilty parties. Watch. The three mentioned above will probably start tonight.
About the 5 on 3 goal. Yes it sucks the Pete’s scored on it. However you have to realize the fronts also scored a 5 on 3 goal that game. So it cancels out.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Burns is hurt. Not sure how long he’s out for or what happened. Hopefully he’s good to go tonight or Sunday

Attachments

• IMG_7192.png
    IMG_7192.png
    219.4 KB · Views: 6

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023

I was in Peterborough watching, so haven't seen any highlights or anything so lots of that was what I saw and remembered - I'm old it's not as easy as it once was.
Holmes was on the ice for a good chunk of the time that they had an Empty net, and played a lot in the 3rd, maybe online streaming/tv missed it?

Burns got hurt in St. Louis - he hasn't skated since he's been back in Kingston.

Budnick was angry at the linesmen after that joke of a 3rd goal - but still stupid reaction

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa

The first two goals were several rebounds where he had trouble smothering them up. I agree the coverage wasn’t great but he should have contained the rebounds. Third one was a weak goal that the whole team wasn’t ready for. The fourth goal, as you mentioned, the team blocked numerous shots for him and the first shot he actually faces beats him clean from the point. Your goalie needs to be your best penalty killer and he definitely wasn’t on that one. The fifth goal was another juicy rebound that the Petes banged home. The D coverage wasn’t amazing overall but wasn’t terrible either. The Fronts can’t have goaltending at an 83% save clip and expect to go anywhere. He hardly had to stand in his head.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Solid game, I get the feelings it's gonna be a fun year as a fan. Savard seems like the definition of "love to have him, hate to play him". McGowan seems like the physical presence on the D end, several hits and a scrap after a hit (didn't see clearly from my angle so idk how if the penalty was warranted)

Uens had a spirited scrap and caught Toms with one solid shot that looked like it sent him to locker room for repairs after the tilt.

Not a big fan of the second goal, bad giveaway by Williamson and the fivehole goal from Vaccari.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Great game by the team. Vaccari really bailed them out early making several excellent saves in the first period otherwise Oshawa would’ve scored atleast 3 goals in the first if not for vaccari.

Savard is my new favourite front i f-ing love that guy what a player he is. I noticed Caputi wasn’t playing him on any of the power plays or penalty kills as he was on the penalty kill last night against Peterborough and took a stupid penalty sending the Pete’s to a 5 on 3 to which they scored on. I think that’s smart on Caputi for this game hopefully savard has learned his lesson.

Besides that he is our Brad Marchand- Matthew tkachuk type of guy on the team. Does everything from blocking shots to generating scoring chances. Other teams will hate him but we love him since he is on the fronts.

I’m glad Hopkins scored his first career ohl goal hopefully that takes the monkey off his back.

McGowan played phenomenal- maybe the best game I’ve seen him play tonight. Did everything right.

Holmes has an absolute BOMB of a shot

Miedema looked great despite not scoring tonight.

Hemstrom had a great two way game.

I saw burns walking around prior to the game so I don’t think the injury is too bad (lower body) but I also don’t know what he injured. Could’ve just been sitting out for precautionary reasons.

Reactions: ottsabrefan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad