Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I think it is highly unlikely Barrie catches Kingston. They aren’t a great team and might not even get the 7 points over the rest of the season let alone any additional points the Fronts pick up.

That being said, I agree with Beast (that is a scary feeling!). Does it really matter if they did? They need to make sure they are healthy and fresh and finishing 8th may actually give them a better matchup (Bulldogs instead of Wolves).
Kingston needs to be 7th so they can have home ice when they inevitably play Barrie in the Eastern Finals

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Kingston needs to be 7th so they can have home ice when they inevitably play Barrie in the Eastern Finals

WOW. Now that is thinking ahead. I can’t remember the teams but a few years back I think that was the situation or close to it int he NHL playoffs one year prior to the divisional playoffs. It was something like 8v7 in the semi’s. I’m sure there are some trivia nuts that would dig that one up!

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Missed a handful of the game yesterday but from what I saw it was hands down Salajko's best game.

Barrie needs to likely gain 7 points (I assume ROW is first tie-breaker - not 100% sure on that). I like Barrie's schedule a little more than Kingston's, plus they've got a whopping 4 games in hand.

Kingston's remaining games:
Saginaw
Flint
Sarnia
Peterborough x2
North Bay
Ottawa
Brantford

Barrie's remaining games:
Peterborough x2
Mississauga
North Bay x2
Oshawa
Ottawa x2
Sudbury x2
Niagara

Kingston has 2 should-win's in Peterborough, maybe another against Sarnia, and then they've been unreal against Ottawa this year so that could be another win - the other 4 games will be tough.

Barrie has 3 should-win's in Peterborough x2 and Niagara. Looks like Barrie's had Mississauga's number this year (4-1), as well as being 3-1 against NB.

I didn't look at when the games were so I'm not sure if they're pre or post-deadline, but if Kingston handles their business and gets 6-7 points through the end of the year, they should lock in that 7th spot.
Good call on the games. Yes I believe they should win 4/8 at the least. Gotta remember some of these teams may be resting players other than the starting goalies. Hopefully kingston can squeak out a win or two against teams they shouldn’t beat.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Good call on the games. Yes I believe they should win 4/8 at the least. Gotta remember some of these teams may be resting players other than the starting goalies. Hopefully kingston can squeak out a win or two against teams they shouldn’t beat.
Kingston is a mediocre/average hockey team with a mediocre/average record therefore 4/8 or .500 would be fitting way to end this season of average

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Bad news for Kingston is that the draft is light on defence. But you should be able to strengthen you forward lines.

Just stay away frm teh American players that have already played or agreed to USHL

Reactions: frontsfan67

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Bad news for Kingston is that the draft is light on defence. But you should be able to strengthen you forward lines.

Just stay away frm teh American players that have already played or agreed to USHL
Kingston can trade for a OA D and possibly find a second D in the import draft to strengthen their team.
Drafting a D after pick #4 that can have real impact in year one is unlikely in any draft year. But Kingston can likely draft two good D for the future in the 2nd round if they choose.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
Kingston can trade for a OA D and possibly find a second D in the import draft to strengthen their team.
Drafting a D after pick #4 that can have real impact in year one is unlikely in any draft year. But Kingston can likely draft two good D for the future in the 2nd round if they choose.
That's one option but I would like to see the GM take a Goaltender early on in the OHL draft. Euro draft is such a coin flip if it will pan out.

I'm talking about taking a goalie in the 1st or 2nd round like what Mississauga did. I feel they have the best young tandem in the league and the team will be built around these 2.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

This is pretty much spot on. Maybe because of where they potentially draft in the Import draft they can pluck a D-Man that will contribute out of the gate but they’d be better suited picking a 17 year old that will be there for at least 2 seasons. That means potentially sacrificing next season as a development year for that player. Maybe the player is a quality 3rd pairing guy.

However, adding an OA D-Man will be easy and cheap. The double cohort is looking like it will lead to a surplus of OA’s, especially D-Men. Ottawa will have at least two of Mayich, Sirman, and Smyth available.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That's one option but I would like to see the GM take a Goaltender early on in the OHL draft. Euro draft is such a coin flip if it will pan out.

I'm talking about taking a goalie in the 1st or 2nd round like what Mississauga did. I feel they have the best young tandem in the league and the team will be built around these 2.
If there was a goalie to draft in round one, we would know the name by now.
Drafting forward, goalie, defense in the first two rounds might be a good idea though. Another option is trading 2nd-2nd for future 2, 3 picks to use for adding a player in-season

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I’m a fan of doing that once but not twice.

The challenge Mississauga is going to have as early as next season is keeping both high end goalies happy. It is not easy when you have two bonafide capable top 10 starters and only one net. Usually one or both will get pissy and demand a trade. So, if Kingston were to do that, they should only do it with one pick. Don’t follow that up again the next draft.

The other potential challenge is if they pick a goalie early, it is unlikely that player will make an impact. At best they would be the backup goalie next year. IF next year is a potential all in year, it can be difficult investing in a goalie. And, if it is your first round pick, that is a player that may need to be moved at the deadline.

Reactions: dirty12

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I'd be a little disappointed if they picked with both 2nds this year - I think they should try and push back at least one to be an asset for next years deadline. If they move the NB pick, they'll still have two picks in the top 27 (I think there's 2 defects - Moore and Brzustewicz) - they can get a forward at in the 6-9 range, then take a D with the Barrie 2nd.

If they push back the Barrie 2 - then maybe a goalie is an option with the NB in the mid-late 2nd.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'd be a little disappointed if they picked with both 2nds this year - I think they should try and push back at least one to be an asset for next years deadline. If they move the NB pick, they'll still have two picks in the top 27 (I think there's 2 defects - Moore and Brzustewicz) - they can get a forward at in the 6-9 range, then take a D with the Barrie 2nd.

If they push back the Barrie 2 - then maybe a goalie is an option with the NB in the mid-late 2nd.

It depends on what their goal is. They dont’ have a lot of trade chips. They could move both of the 2nds forward and acquire not only the two future 2nds but also a couple more picks in the trade.

So, if their goal is to set themselves up for an all in season, they’d be better moving both picks forward. You can’t trade the two players you pick in the 2nd round this year. They are untradable assets. They also need to pick the player they are most confident will be valuable at the deadline. Any serious contender run next year will require that 1st round pick being used as a trade piece.

IF they are not planning for an all-in year next year, then they are better using those picks to draft players and help concentrate some players in that age group that are high picks.

It really depends on what the strategy is.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I figure they will draft a forward in the 1st, then 2 defence in the 2nd. I hear they are high on one of the Barrie U16 forwards.
That’s the way I’d go
It depends on what their goal is. They dont’ have a lot of trade chips. They could move both of the 2nds forward and acquire not only the two future 2nds but also a couple more picks in the trade.

So, if their goal is to set themselves up for an all in season, they’d be better moving both picks forward. You can’t trade the two players you pick in the 2nd round this year. They are untradable assets. They also need to pick the player they are most confident will be valuable at the deadline. Any serious contender run next year will require that 1st round pick being used as a trade piece.

IF they are not planning for an all-in year next year, then they are better using those picks to draft players and help concentrate some players in that age group that are high picks.

It really depends on what the strategy is.
I think Kingston can use their first two picks pushing their 2nd-2nd forward and contend. It will be a vet laden team with more talent than many want to credit Kingston for having. They just have to get their OAs early imo.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That’s the way I’d go

I think Kingston can use their first two picks pushing their 2nd-2nd forward and contend. It will be a vet laden team with more talent than many want to credit Kingston for having. They just have to get their OAs early imo.

They can go either way. We don’t know what their true strategy is. “IF” their strategy is to contend next year, they need to align assets in such a way as to give them the most flexibility. Draft picks in the 2024 draft 2nd round+ won’t give them players that will contribute to a Championship run next season. So, it makes sense for them to push picks forward, void themselves of ‘08s and use the 2024 picks as future trade chips. They have Barrie and NB 2nds in 2024 and no 2nds in 2025. I would try to turn both of the 2024 2nds into 2025 2nds plus future 3rds and 4ths. They would add four additional trade chips they can use at the deadline.

I agree that they should fill their OA’s early. Jump on the cluster of OAs that will float the market at the start of next season. Be aggressive. If they need ot make a deadline adjustment, so be it.

If management doesn’t intend on pushing all in, then approach the draft like any other normal year. If they can get a decent return for the NB 2nd then push it forward and add a later pick to this draft plus the 2nd next year to fill the hole they currently have. If there is no significant interest in the NB 2nd, then draft a body and call it a day.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They can go either way. We don’t know what their true strategy is. “IF” their strategy is to contend next year, they need to align assets in such a way as to give them the most flexibility. Draft picks in the 2024 draft 2nd round+ won’t give them players that will contribute to a Championship run next season. So, it makes sense for them to push picks forward, void themselves of ‘08s and use the 2024 picks as future trade chips. They have Barrie and NB 2nds in 2024 and no 2nds in 2025. I would try to turn both of the 2024 2nds into 2025 2nds plus future 3rds and 4ths. They would add four additional trade chips they can use at the deadline.

I agree that they should fill their OA’s early. Jump on the cluster of OAs that will float the market at the start of next season. Be aggressive. If they need ot make a deadline adjustment, so be it.

If management doesn’t intend on pushing all in, then approach the draft like any other normal year. If they can get a decent return for the NB 2nd then push it forward and add a later pick to this draft plus the 2nd next year to fill the hole they currently have. If there is no significant interest in the NB 2nd, then draft a body and call it a day.
I think there is a handful of teams without a ‘24-2nd so there should be plenty of interest in Kingston’s extra 2nd.
If going for it, and I’d say 95% chance Kingston is, I’d choose between pushing the 2nd-2nd forward or moving the 1st at the deadline, not both. Kingston will have plenty of picks to add what they need imo. There might even be a pick upgrade coming via Windsor.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Kingston will have a lot to replace if they want to contend next year. I count 7 contributing players going out the door....
  1. Schmidt, Holmes, Dubois - for sure
  2. Ludwinski, Hemstrom - very likely
  3. Heyes, Poole - probably - can't see them being the OA's -
Plus I see Thibodeau and possibly Miedema asking out - they have lost considerable ice time since Mann took over, especially Miedema.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Kingston will have a lot to replace if they want to contend next year. I count 7 contributing players going out the door....
  1. Schmidt, Holmes, Dubois - for sure
  2. Ludwinski, Hemstrom - very likely
  3. Heyes, Poole - probably - can't see them being the OA's -
Plus I see Thibodeau and possibly Miedema asking out - they have lost considerable ice time since Mann took over, especially Miedema.
There are 9-10 players slated to return for their age 19 season; including an import, 3-1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 2-4ths. Kingston is pretty much already all-in. They just need the right OAs for their team.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I think there is a handful of teams without a ‘24-2nd so there should be plenty of interest in Kingston’s extra 2nd.
If going for it, and I’d say 95% chance Kingston is, I’d choose between pushing the 2nd-2nd forward or moving the 1st at the deadline, not both. Kingston will have plenty of picks to add what they need imo. There might even be a pick upgrade coming via Windsor.
What do you mean an upgrade coming from Windsor? An OA option kinda thing?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

They are missing the 2nd in 2025 and 2027. They have the extra one in 2026 to help balance that off. They only hold one extra 3rd and 4th right now. If they move one of the 2nds forward, they pretty much have the full compliment of picks but nothing more than that. It is enough to pick up one quality player and one decent player if only using picks. If they toss their 2024 1st into the mix, they can upgrade that decent player to an elite player. Will they have enough by adding a decent player, an elite player and an early season OA D-Man? Is three players enough?

If they had traded Ludwinski this year, they’d have likely had one of the 2023 1sts or a nice haul of picks and a decent player similar to the Donovan deal. That would have dramatically lessened the impact of the moves required next year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They are missing the 2nd in 2025 and 2027. They have the extra one in 2026 to help balance that off. They only hold one extra 3rd and 4th right now. If they move one of the 2nds forward, they pretty much have the full compliment of picks but nothing more than that. It is enough to pick up one quality player and one decent player if only using picks. If they toss their 2024 1st into the mix, they can upgrade that decent player to an elite player. Will they have enough by adding a decent player, an elite player and an early season OA D-Man? Is three players enough?

If they had traded Ludwinski this year, they’d have likely had one of the 2023 1sts or a nice haul of picks and a decent player similar to the Donovan deal. That would have dramatically lessened the impact of the moves required next year.
I believe Kingston will get a good import. Two early added OAs will cost 2(3,4,5)?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I figure they will draft a forward in the 1st, then 2 defence in the 2nd. I hear they are high on one of the Barrie U16 forwards.
I have heard that too about the forwards.

I fully expect them to draft a forward as the other d man that is good in round 1 minus nyman is apparently going college route. I wonder if they keep the first round pick this year and develop him like weir this season or if they trade him at the deadline.

Haven’t heard much about their picks in round 2 but I think a wise option like someone else said here would be to get a defenceman and a goalie (even if it may be a little bit early for it- they have 2 picks I could see them doing this)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad