Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think it started with arguing about it -- that's when Flores told Mann to stop complaining "..your are up 6-0" sort of thing.

I think that’s the problem. If it was related to the Bertuzzi call, bitching that hard at 6-0 against the worst team in the league is sort of over the top. I could understand a non-call that led to an injury to a Fronts player but a 2 minute minor up 6-0? Sheesh.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think that’s the problem. If it was related to the Bertuzzi call, bitching that hard at 6-0 against the worst team in the league is sort of over the top. I could understand a non-call that led to an injury to a Fronts player but a 2 minute minor up 6-0? Sheesh.
I agree it is over the top to be arguing that- not very classy on his part. Even worse to be saying stuff to the other teams goalie or players

I don’t know if rules are different between the ahl and ohl about what you can say and do with players but he should be reading a rule book here soon so he has a better understanding.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I agree it is over the top to be arguing that- not very classy on his part. Even worse to be saying stuff to the other teams goalie or players

I don’t know if rules are different between the ahl and ohl about what you can say and do with players but he should be reading a rule book here soon so he has a better understanding.

I think those things are more subjective. If there were a rule in place for specific things, the game official would have tossed him from the game. My understanding is he didn’t get the gate. The opposing team probably complained, the league spoke to the officials post-game and confirmed the suspension for one game.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think those things are more subjective. If there were a rule in place for specific things, the game official would have tossed him from the game. My understanding is he didn’t get the gate. The opposing team probably complained, the league spoke to the officials post-game and confirmed the suspension for one game.
That’s very possible.

Doesn’t look good on a “rookie” coach getting suspended twice in 1 season- that’s for sure

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I watch plenty of sports in many leagues and I’ve never seen someone get suspended for arguing a call lol. I don’t watch much baseball though but I watch basketball, hockey, and football.

Which is why I said unless they made it personal and there is a chance Mann did because why the hell else would you get suspended for telling a ref off about a bad call.

Usually you’re removed from the game and if you publicly criticize officiating you will get fined. Not removed from the game and you have to sit another full game- that’s bs.

Is you or someone you know a former ref beast and that’s why you’re taking offence to this?
No, I was never a ref. However, after spending a few years around Killer, I got to understand the relationship.

He used to tell anyone who listened what the rules were.

You would see or hear him yapping at the linesman about the ref and a call, but when it came to yapping at a ref, he was very careful of his words and voice unless he got really upset.

I was also there when Kevin Weekes went into the dressing room after a period and started singing 3 blind mice and crawling on the floor looking for his glasses.

Killer was not amused.

You have to remember the old days Killer would rail in the refs and linesman, but at the end of the game, there were always 6 cold beers in the ref dressing room as a thank you.

Also standing has a certain amount to do with it. Mann was an AHL coach whoopee. He still needs to earn his stripes in the OHL as an OHL coach.

Look at Hunter. We know there are calls he is objecting to, but he knows where the line is and what not to say.

I am also sure Mann has been warned about this before you just do not get a game off for a one-time thing

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
I heard it a little different but who really knows. It was told to me Flores was relentlessly chirping the Kingston bench, and Mann finally had enough when it was 6-0 and told him to shut the F-up, ref happened to be right there and threw him out. BS call in my opinion. I’ve read lots of comments on the internet with people going after Mann about having the two suspensions and what lousy person he is, frankly I just don’t see it when I look at the bench.

The first suspension was because Callens jumped off the bench to fight which gave him an automatic two games- nothing he could do on that, I’m sure he didn’t even see it happen, this second one, well I‘m not sure how many of you have sat close to the bench before but if that’s the starting line for a suspension, no coaches would be available to coach as 75% of them would be out of the game.

Caputi was non stop screaming at the official-every game. Mann has been a total professional behind the bench, from what I’ve seen he speaks to the officials with respect.

Glad to see the boys get a couple wins on the road, I was unable to watch them this weekend but it sure is a good time for them to start coming together. Couple of hard weekends coming up, looks more and more like North Bay will move into 2nd, they have a pretty easy schedule left and only play two back to back games for the remainder.

respect.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I heard it a little different but who really knows. It was told to me Flores was relentlessly chirping the Kingston bench, and Mann finally had enough when it was 6-0 and told him to shut the F-up, ref happened to be right there and threw him out. BS call in my opinion. I’ve read lots of comments on the internet with people going after Mann about having the two suspensions and what lousy person he is, frankly I just don’t see it when I look at the bench.

The first suspension was because Callens jumped off the bench to fight which gave him an automatic two games- nothing he could do on that, I’m sure he didn’t even see it happen, this second one, well I‘m not sure how many of you have sat close to the bench before but if that’s the starting line for a suspension, no coaches would be available to coach as 75% of them would be out of the game.

Caputi was non stop screaming at the official-every game. Mann has been a total professional behind the bench, from what I’ve seen he speaks to the officials with respect.

Glad to see the boys get a couple wins on the road, I was unable to watch them this weekend but it sure is a good time for them to start coming together. Couple of hard weekends coming up, looks more and more like North Bay will move into 2nd, they have a pretty easy schedule left and only play two back to back games for the remainder.

respect.

If that was “all” there was, then I agree. That is horseshit.

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
The other comment I would make, is that this league is so inconsintent with how each game is officiated. Where one official decides it’s a worthy suspension, ten others wouldn’t think twice Of the comment and would probably agree with what was said back to the player. My buddies kid plays in the league, he’s told me guys officiating the same game don’t agree with each others calls all the time. He had one ref skate up to him the other game when a penalty was called on him by the other ref and said, it’s a bad call there was no penalty there, but nothing I can do.

Too many people today are ready to hang a person with only hearing a judgement and not knowing the full story. Before long I‘m sure the story will start to get twisted again and spun to make him look like a guy who shouldn’t even be coaching in any league. That’s just the world we are living in today..

• Wow

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I heard it a little different but who really knows. It was told to me Flores was relentlessly chirping the Kingston bench, and Mann finally had enough when it was 6-0 and told him to shut the F-up, ref happened to be right there and threw him out.
What the hell would Flores be chirping about?! Wow! Down 6-0 and a below average goalie on the worst team in the east- the last guy I would think that would be chirping would be him
Yes absolutely a bs call from the league doing that if that is what actually happened- completely agree
Absolutely which is why I can’t believe Mann got suspended for a comment- league is soft as baby shit if that’s the case. Caputi was a loud mouth
I’m hoping north bay/Sudbury beats brantford for first in the east as if we play north bay or Sudbury it may be a sweep lol. Who knows about Sudbury as the goaltending isn’t good but other than that I think they’re the deepest team in the east for forwards and defence.

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
It's quiet in here... I think no matter what Kingston does, it's 7th or 8th - not sure one is better than the other. A 2/3 weekend would likely lock in 7th

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
It's quiet in here... I think no matter what Kingston does, it's 7th or 8th - not sure one is better than the other. A 2/3 weekend would likely lock in 7th
I think the reality has kind of set in that this team is in for a very tough go Round 1.
I watched this happen in Oshawa last season against Ottawa first round. -They were counted out by even their own fan base.
Their barn was 3/4 empty for the round 1 and a lot of the season ticket holders didn't even bother to attend round 1 knowing it was a lost cause.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
What the hell would Flores be chirping about?! Wow! Down 6-0 and a below average goalie on the worst team in the east- the last guy I would think that would be chirping would be him

Yes absolutely a bs call from the league doing that if that is what actually happened- completely agree

Absolutely which is why I can’t believe Mann got suspended for a comment- league is soft as baby shit if that’s the case. Caputi was a loud mouth

I’m hoping north bay/Sudbury beats brantford for first in the east as if we play north bay or Sudbury it may be a sweep lol. Who knows about Sudbury as the goaltending isn’t good but other than that I think they’re the deepest team in the east for forwards and defence.
The challenge is usually that you say something to the ref. However, with all the media BS and court cases, I think the OHL is starting to get a little gunshy.

It will be interesting to see if there are rule changes during the off-season.

There is also the possibility that Mann was warned either earlier in the game or when he was yapping not to or else.

Someone mentioned the AHL stealing the good Referees. LOL, obviously a new fan.

The CHL is a training ground for young hockey players to make pro careers, coaches and GMs to prepare to make the jump, and the Pros and the refs to make the same jump.

I think if you guys are smart you will play Salajko more and rest Vaccari. The last few games really do not mean alot.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
The challenge is usually that you say something to the ref. However, with all the media BS and court cases, I think the OHL is starting to get a little gunshy.

There is also the possibility that Mann was warned either earlier in the game or when he was yapping not to or else.

The CHL is a training ground for young hockey players to make pro careers, coaches and GMs to prepare to make the jump, and the Pros and the refs to make the same jump.

I think if you guys are smart you will play Salajko more and rest Vaccari. The last few games really do not mean alot.
"obviously a new fan" - Yikes. -Some of you're takes are worse then Generals Live.

Anyone with a brain knows the CHL is a training ground for officials to go to the AHL/ECHL.
I'm not sure if you think you are making breaking news here or what with that statement.

The NHL has had major turnover and retirement this past 3 years. It has had a major affect on the quality of officiating at both the AHL and CHL levels with a high volume of officials being expedited through the ranks. -If anything i would think Ottawa fans would have noticed how the quality has dropped significantly with all the complaining they always do about officiating.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
"obviously a new fan" - Yikes. -Some of you're takes are worse then Generals Live.

Anyone with a brain knows the CHL is a training ground for officials to go to the AHL/ECHL.
I'm not sure if you think you are making breaking news here or what with that statement.

The NHL has had major turnover and retirement this past 3 years. It has had a major affect on the quality of officiating at both the AHL and CHL levels with a high volume of officials being expedited through the ranks. -If anything i would think Ottawa fans would have noticed how the quality has dropped significantly with all the complaining they always do about officiating.
LOL the Only way OHL refs know they are doing a good job is when people are complaining

They don't call enough
they call too much

It is like the 3 bears

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

I think they’ll try and push for 6 but whenever that falls apart they’ll do just that. Except they need to lock up 7. If they play Sudbury/north bay in playoffs they might get swept. Need to play brantford/Ottawa/Oshawa for the best chance of winning

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

No need to get nasty. When discussing “Ottawa Fans” you need to remember there are a lot of casual fans that fill that rink. Many of them are used to NHL officiating and don’t understand the bar is a little different in quality of officiating as well as how the penalties are called by comparison. It is a completely different dichotomy than a regular OHL rink.

The “Ottawa Fans” have a much stronger sense of what officiating is at this level and you typically dont’ hear too much from them in this regard unless it is calls surrounding injuries etc…

But you are 100% correct that a lot of the officials are very green right now. Not a lot of veterans int he league that you can really lean on which makes consistency difficult.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
No need to get nasty. When discussing “Ottawa Fans” you need to remember there are a lot of casual fans that fill that rink. Many of them are used to NHL officiating and don’t understand the bar is a little different in quality of officiating as well as how the penalties are called by comparison. It is a completely different dichotomy than a regular OHL rink.

The “Ottawa Fans” have a much stronger sense of what officiating is at this level and you typically dont’ hear too much from them in this regard unless it is calls surrounding injuries etc…

But you are 100% correct that a lot of the officials are very green right now. Not a lot of veterans int he league that you can really lean on which makes consistency difficult.
Nothing nasty about a observation.
Typically an Ottawa Loss is followed by complaining of officiating.

So now Ottawa is better at having a stronger sense of officiating too huh? LOL
How did they develop and improve those skills since a couple weeks ago?
This is getting comical now

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Nothing nasty about a observation.
Typically an Ottawa Loss is followed by complaining of officiating.

So now Ottawa is better at having a stronger sense of officiating too huh? LOL
How did they develop and improve those skills since a couple weeks ago?
This is getting comical now

You misunderstand. When you say “Ottawa Fans” it is not one blanket that covers everyone. There are 70% of them in the rink that aren’t 67’s fans. They are minor hockey families, School fundraisers etc. They aren’t Junior Fans. They are more tourists than 67’s fans. Those people view the game through either uninformed eyes or through eyes that generally understand how NHL games are managed, not how Junior Games are managed. There are a lot of differences on how penalties are called at the Junior level that are quite simply lost on most people at 67’s games.

The actual “Ottawa Fans” are very few. Those I identify as Junior Fans that do understand the game at this level. Those people are what you would find a lot at most other OHL Rinks. Far better informed and plugged in to Junior Hockey in general. They have a much better understanding.

The problem in Ottawa is it is an NHL town. Although there is a large population base, very few know much of anything about the 67’s. They may come to a game now and then as part of a group but they aren’t fans. Most of the kids that come don’t even watch the games, neither do the parents/adults. They are more concerned about their conversations and could care less about the game being played. The kids run around dodging through the aisles during games etc. It is a playground for them. I’d say there are about 1500 core season ticket holder types and maybe up to 1000 additional spectators that have a certain level of familiarity. The rest are just a complete nuisance which is why I stopped going to games all together.

Maybe when they get the new rink, they will manage the atmosphere better and I may decide to give it a try again but until then, you won’t find me at TD Place.

So, when I say the Ottawa fans have a stronger sense of officiating, that is compared to the jackasses that are there for a social event that has absolutely nothing to do with hockey or being a fan of the 67’s. That wasn’t meant as a dig against other teams fans. I think that is how you took what I said. That wasn’t’ how it was meant.

If you were to scroll through 67’s threads on here, you would find the odd critique/complaint of the officiating but nothing more or less than any other thread on this forum. All I am saying is don’t’ throw the true 67’s fans into the same pot as the jackasses that have no sense and aren’t actual fans, jsut “barely” spectators.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
You misunderstand. When you say “Ottawa Fans” it is not one blanket that covers everyone. There are 70% of them in the rink that aren’t 67’s fans. They are minor hockey families, School fundraisers etc. They aren’t Junior Fans. They are more tourists than 67’s fans. Those people view the game through either uninformed eyes or through eyes that generally understand how NHL games are managed, not how Junior Games are managed. There are a lot of differences on how penalties are called at the Junior level that are quite simply lost on most people at 67’s games.

The actual “Ottawa Fans” are very few. Those I identify as Junior Fans that do understand the game at this level. Those people are what you would find a lot at most other OHL Rinks. Far better informed and plugged in to Junior Hockey in general. They have a much better understanding.

The problem in Ottawa is it is an NHL town. Although there is a large population base, very few know much of anything about the 67’s. They may come to a game now and then as part of a group but they aren’t fans. Most of the kids that come don’t even watch the games, neither do the parents/adults. They are more concerned about their conversations and could care less about the game being played. The kids run around dodging through the aisles during games etc. It is a playground for them. I’d say there are about 1500 core season ticket holder types and maybe up to 1000 additional spectators that have a certain level of familiarity. The rest are just a complete nuisance which is why I stopped going to games all together.

Maybe when they get the new rink, they will manage the atmosphere better and I may decide to give it a try again but until then, you won’t find me at TD Place.

So, when I say the Ottawa fans have a stronger sense of officiating, that is compared to the jackasses that are there for a social event that has absolutely nothing to do with hockey or being a fan of the 67’s. That wasn’t meant as a dig against other teams fans. I think that is how you took what I said. That wasn’t’ how it was meant.

If you were to scroll through 67’s threads on here, you would find the odd critique/complaint of the officiating but nothing more or less than any other thread on this forum. All I am saying is don’t’ throw the true 67’s fans into the same pot as the jackasses that have no sense and aren’t actual fans, jsut “barely” spectators.
I get what you were trying to say now.
I agree there not a lot of true hockey fans around anymore with a strong understanding of the game.
I'm surprised to hear you don't attend any lives games. What is the beef with TD place? I haven't found the atmosphere that bad compared to others. -Ever been to the Paramount fine foods centre? lol

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I get what you were trying to say now.
I agree there not a lot of true hockey fans around anymore with a strong understanding of the game.
I'm surprised to hear you don't attend any lives games. What is the beef with TD place? I haven't found the atmosphere that bad compared to others. -Ever been to the Paramount fine foods centre? lol

Season ticket holder for decades. Moved my seats because of the reconfiguration of the benches/penalty boxes.

I had issues with the game action camera and all the kids that would congregate near the in game cameras. People were literally getting pushed out of their seats at the bottom rows around the cameras and it was encouraged by the camera teams. Too many free tickets for minor hockey players provided the parents buy tickets. The parents wouldn't care about the game or keeping the kids even moderately behaved and controlled. I like to explain it as similar to out of town hockey tournaments in hotels. The parents meet in a room or two and leave the kids unsupervised for the hotel security and staff to try to keep control. Same at the hockey games.

It is much more calm watching games at home. I try to go to as many out of town games as possible. It is nice to get away for the weekend now and then. I try to catch half or more of the games in Kingston.

They will build a new rink and will have around 5000 seats. I doubt they will run the same type of marketing strategy and will focus on selling the new rink as a hockey facility more so than a playground. If so, I may come back. If not…..

Reactions: ottsabrefan

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Season ticket holder for decades. Moved my seats because of the reconfiguration of the benches/penalty boxes.

I had issues with the game action camera and all the kids that would congregate near the in game cameras. People were literally getting pushed out of their seats at the bottom rows around the cameras and it was encouraged by the camera teams. Too many free tickets for minor hockey players provided the parents buy tickets. The parents wouldn't care about the game or keeping the kids even moderately behaved and controlled. I like to explain it as similar to out of town hockey tournaments in hotels. The parents meet in a room or two and leave the kids unsupervised for the hotel security and staff to try to keep control. Same at the hockey games.

It is much more calm watching games at home. I try to go to as many out of town games as possible. It is nice to get away for the weekend now and then. I try to catch half or more of the games in Kingston.

They will build a new rink and will have around 5000 seats. I doubt they will run the same type of marketing strategy and will focus on selling the new rink as a hockey facility more so than a playground. If so, I may come back. If not…..
I definitely hear you on the poor parenting / out of control kids at games.
Luckily if I get to annoyed I just go hide in the press box or media area.
Over here in Belleville which i frequent a lot for AHL assignments i like the way they do it.
They put all the groups, hockey teams, schools, etc in the north end (visitors goalie side) usually towards the top so they are tucked away to bother each other Lol.

The season ticket holders are all in the middle 3 sections of each side of the rink and the balcony's over looking. Although their attendance is not great it seems to work well on the games against the Marlies when there is a packed house.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I definitely hear you on the poor parenting / out of control kids at games.
Luckily if I get to annoyed I just go hide in the press box or media area.
Over here in Belleville which i frequent a lot for AHL assignments i like the way they do it.
They put all the groups, hockey teams, schools, etc in the north end (visitors goalie side) usually towards the top so they are tucked away to bother each other Lol.

The season ticket holders are all in the middle 3 sections of each side of the rink and the balcony's over looking. Although their attendance is not great it seems to work well on the games against the Marlies when there is a packed house.

They do try to do that in Ottawa now as well. We had a very bad incident and my wife was absolutely livid. She won’t go back because of it. It was really bad.

Now they have General Admission tickets as part of a promotion on the lower side. If you like to sit low on the ends, you are screwed. I’d be forced to sit high in the middle which is fine but I prefer Aisle seats and there were never any of those available when I originally had to move my seats. That kickstarted everything. It was a nightmare for around 3 seasons. Watching people continually be pushed out of their seats was maddening. Those people would never come back leaving them more reliant on the clown show ticket sales.

Post Jeff Hunt 67’s OSEG has been a joke. Their focus is on the RedBlacks. They use grade one marketing strategies. They ignore the people that actually fuel secondary sales. I’m the guy that spends thousands in the restaurants before/after games, buys other in game stuff etc. Guys like us are inconsequential to their marketing. They bitch and whine about having to alter the schedule to not adversely affect the restaurants on game days. Yet, it is guys like me that are the ones that frequent them. Do you think he families are going to those places before or after games? No. Yet, they whine about lack of synergy at Lansdowne BECAUSE they focus on the lowest common denominator ticket sale that doesn’t fuel any secondary sales. They are a rinky dink marketing group. Very poorly run. It is a good thing they have strong hockey operations. If their hockey ops were run like their marketing/sales group, they’d be battling the Ice Dogs.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
They do try to do that in Ottawa now as well. We had a very bad incident and my wife was absolutely livid. She won’t go back because of it. It was really bad.

Now they have General Admission tickets as part of a promotion on the lower side. If you like to sit low on the ends, you are screwed. I’d be forced to sit high in the middle which is fine but I prefer Aisle seats and there were never any of those available when I originally had to move my seats. That kickstarted everything. It was a nightmare for around 3 seasons. Watching people continually be pushed out of their seats was maddening. Those people would never come back leaving them more reliant on the clown show ticket sales.

Post Jeff Hunt 67’s OSEG has been a joke. Their focus is on the RedBlacks. They use grade one marketing strategies. They ignore the people that actually fuel secondary sales. I’m the guy that spends thousands in the restaurants before/after games, buys other in game stuff etc. Guys like us are inconsequential to their marketing. They bitch and whine about having to alter the schedule to not adversely affect the restaurants on game days. Yet, it is guys like me that are the ones that frequent them. Do you think he families are going to those places before or after games? No. Yet, they whine about lack of synergy at Lansdowne BECAUSE they focus on the lowest common denominator ticket sale that doesn’t fuel any secondary sales. They are a rinky dink marketing group. Very poorly run. It is a good thing they have strong hockey operations. If their hockey ops were run like their marketing/sales group, they’d be battling the Ice Dogs.
One thing I can give their Media guys ALOT of credit for was the Between the Barber Poles series they did last year. -I really enjoyed watching them.

Reactions: OMG67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad