Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I believe Kingston will get a good import. Two early added OAs will cost 2(3,4,5)?

I don’t think they’d get two impact OA’s early. Missy will be looking for Impact OA’s early as well. I think it may be possible to get one early, but unlikely they get two.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t think they’d get two impact OA’s early. Missy will be looking for Impact OA’s early as well. I think it may be possible to get one early, but unlikely they get two.
I don’t think they will be competing for the same players.
I’ll guess the steelheads look for one RW early, and that’s all until the deadline; unless, they trade a goalie and look for a solid OA goalie to keep their younger #1 from over work.
I think Kingston will want an OA RD & LD and/or a puck possession C/LW depending on the import draft and how Poole looks. Hopkins should not be relied on to be a 2-way top six player (for a contender) yet.

At some point prior to the November OA cut-off most of Wakely, VanSteensel, Mathurin, Leblanc(s), two of McCoy, Collins, DeAngelis, and VanVliet, plus Konyen, and a couple of ‘67s D should be available.

Reactions: frontsfan67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don’t think they will be competing for the same players.
I’ll guess the steelheads look for one RW early, and that’s all until the deadline; unless, they trade a goalie and look for a solid OA goalie to keep their younger #1 from over work.
I think Kingston will want an OA RD & LD and/or a puck possession C/LW depending on the import draft and how Poole looks. Hopkins should not be relied on to be a 2-way top six player (for a contender) yet.

At some point prior to the November OA cut-off most of Wakely, VanSteensel, Mathurin, Leblanc(s), two of McCoy, Collins, DeAngelis, and VanVliet, plus Konyen, and a couple of ‘67s D should be available.
Agreed. But, outside of Mayich, the two other OA D-Men wouldn't be considered Elite. I think the combo of McCoy, VanVliet, and DeAngelis are the likely initial shopping cart for Kingston. I still feel the Steelheads snag an OA D-Man early as well. That is assuming the price is right.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Agreed. But, outside of Mayich, the two other OA D-Men wouldn't be considered Elite. I think the combo of McCoy, VanVliet, and DeAngelis are the likely initial shopping cart for Kingston. I still feel the Steelheads snag an OA D-Man early as well. That is assuming the price is right.
I can see Richmond having interest in Collins, possibly McCoy. That is if Gee plays his way out of a spot in the top six between now and at camp, and Spencer is not at a stage of development Richmond wants. Though I’m pretty convinced the Steelheads D is pretty much set for the next two seasons.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
I can see Richmond having interest in Collins, possibly McCoy. That is if Gee plays his way out of a spot in the top six between now and at camp, and Spencer is not at a stage of development Richmond wants. Though I’m pretty convinced the Steelheads D is pretty much set for the next two seasons.
Very likely that #8 and #44 on Missi may not be of the caliber that Coach Richmond needs next year.
Bottom end and likely why #17 on Peterborough Petes asked for a trade if they were battling for minutes.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Very likely that #8 and #44 on Missi may not be of the caliber that Coach Richmond needs next year.
Bottom end and likely why #17 on Peterborough Petes asked for a trade if they were battling for minutes.
Very cool code with the jersey #’s; got me there. Richmond salivates when speaking of Spencer. I do not know how he feels about Gee other than parting with 2-3rds for the D that is the same age of the team’s core age. He did have the option of acquiring Punnet at that cost.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Salajko in net, Williamson in for Chromiak again, Cavallin in for Hopkins.

I'm more and more starting to doubt that Chromiak is a lock for an import slot next year given this is B2B games he's been scratched.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Very cool code with the jersey #’s; got me there. Richmond salivates when speaking of Spencer. I do not know how he feels about Gee other than parting with 2-3rds for the D that is the same age of the team’s core age. He did have the option of acquiring Punnet at that cost.

Personally, I think Richmond has made nearly perfect moves so far. Even if Gee doesn’t turn out to be the “right” guy they need, he still has enough value to move him to another team. Him not fitting in with the Steelheads is only based on situation, not performance. He will have value on the market without much doubt. It was a very low risk move with some decent upside.

Kingston and Brampton will have no shortage of OA’s to choose from to start the season. They may need to wait until the deadline if they want elite OA’s but there is nothing stopping them picking up cheap roster filler guys to help for the first three months.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I see them getting in on McCoy for sure. Fills a couple boxes. Experience, leadership and guys from Belleville so I’m sure he wouldn’t be too opposed moving closer to home on a contender for his OA season.

The next guy might be deangelis but if Sudbury is smart- they’ll keep him until the trade deadline to get the most out of him. Very very important piece for them this year- next year as a year older and some age out he will look even more stellar.

However trading for 2 OA d men on the same team doesn’t seem that likely so my prediction is they go for McCoy, and mayich -if Ottawa is selling.

Also if Ottawa is selling (big if, as I think they’ll be good again next year) I’m sure they’d be looking at Pinelli as he will be one of the best goal scorers in the league next year probably behind Barlow, Romani and rehkopf- and will be a cheaper option than Barlow and the rest assuming he is back.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
IMG_7047.png

Couple things.

1- where the hell is Hopkins? Is he injured? He’s fresh off his best game of the whole season he better not be getting benched.

2- where is Chromiak? Is he hurt? Why is he not playing?

3- why the hell would they start salajko for this game? He’s going to get killed and his confidence that has been growing will get shattered. If they were gonna start a backup for this game they would’ve been better off with Downey as I doubt he’s better and won’t be on the team next year to complain about getting lit up.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I see them getting in on McCoy for sure. Fills a couple boxes. Experience, leadership and guys from Belleville so I’m sure he wouldn’t be too opposed moving closer to home on a contender for his OA season.

The next guy might be deangelis but if Sudbury is smart- they’ll keep him until the trade deadline to get the most out of him. Very very important piece for them this year- next year as a year older and some age out he will look even more stellar.

However trading for 2 OA d men on the same team doesn’t seem that likely so my prediction is they go for McCoy, and mayich -if Ottawa is selling.

Also if Ottawa is selling (big if, as I think they’ll be good again next year) I’m sure they’d be looking at Pinelli as he will be one of the best goal scorers in the league next year probably behind Barlow, Romani and rehkopf- and will be a cheaper option than Barlow and the rest assuming he is back.

I think with the landscape being what it is, I doubt Ottawa is a buyer. Does that make them a seller? Time will tell. IMO, next year should be a sell year. I think Pinelli would provide a very serious trade package that Ottawa could use for future development. They have the two 1st round picks next year. I think they should build around the ‘07s and ‘08s. Try to add to their ‘07s next year via trading some of their ‘04s and ‘05s.

They will likely have as many as six OHL capable OA’s. - Mayich, Gerrior, Stonehouse, MacKenzie, Smyth, and Sirman. Obviously they have to move three of those guys.

Again, whether they sell or stay status quo is an answer I don’t have but I don’t see them buying unless something happens that I simply cannot see right now.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think with the landscape being what it is, I doubt Ottawa is a buyer. Does that make them a seller? Time will tell. IMO, next year should be a sell year. I think Pinelli would provide a very serious trade package that Ottawa could use for future development. They have the two 1st round picks next year. I think they should build around the ‘07s and ‘08s. Try to add to their ‘07s next year via trading some of their ‘04s and ‘05s.

They will likely have as many as six OHL capable OA’s. - Mayich, Gerrior, Stonehouse, MacKenzie, Smyth, and Sirman. Obviously they have to move three of those guys.

Again, whether they sell or stay status quo is an answer I don’t have but I don’t see them buying unless something happens that I simply cannot see right now.
I wonder if mayich and stonehouse are back.

If they are you’d have to assume they keep those 2 if staying competitive. Gerrior and his speed could get a decent package. (3,4?) Sirman definitely won’t be back with all these guys, maybe a 5th/6th round pick for him,someone will want smyth for his size and defence- probably more valuable than sirman let’s go with a 3rd/4th for him. Then can use some of these picks to acquire a good player that’s not an oa and a light trade deadline.

If you’re going for it I say keep mckenzie, stonehouse and mayich, if selling, sell all 3 of those as you’ll get the best return with them.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I wonder if mayich and stonehouse are back.

If they are you’d have to assume they keep those 2 if staying competitive. Gerrior and his speed could get a decent package. (3,4?) Sirman definitely won’t be back with all these guys, maybe a 5th/6th round pick for him,someone will want smyth for his size and defence- probably more valuable than sirman let’s go with a 3rd/4th for him. Then can use some of these picks to acquire a good player that’s not an oa and a light trade deadline.

If you’re going for it I say keep mckenzie, stonehouse and mayich, if selling, sell all 3 of those as you’ll get the best return with them.

I think all six will return.

Smyth will be gone 100% prior to the start of the season. I think Mayich may be the other one. I have a feeling they will keep Sirman. But, it may depend on the package for Mayich. Sirman and Mews have played really well together since being paired up.

They will keep Stonehouse, Gerrior and MacKenzie almost certainly through the deadline but they will be joined by a fourth player like Sirman or Mayich. I think they will trade Stonehouse as soon as the market is right for him. If that is day one of the season, they will do it then but I think his market will develop closer to the deadline.

If you look at level of importance for Ottawa, it will be:
1> MacKenzie
2> one of Mayich or Sirman
3> Gerrior
4> Stonehouse
5> Mayich or Sirman
6> Smyth

I don’t see Gerrior in any other uniform next year other than a 67’s jersey. Likely the same for MacKenzie because they will want to bring Nelson along slowly as the backup. Then they keep one of the D-Men. I don’t see a role for Stonehouse on this team for the full season. I think he is the type of player that is better suited on a contender stirring the pot. If he has a strong playoff this year, he may be well sought after for the type of game he plays.

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024
View attachment 832764
Couple things.

1- where the hell is Hopkins? Is he injured? He’s fresh off his best game of the whole season he better not be getting benched.

3- why the hell would they start salajko for this game? He’s going to get killed and his confidence that has been growing will get shattered. If they were gonna start a backup for this game they would’ve been better off with Downey as I doubt he’s better and won’t be on the team next year to complain about getting lit up.
Only assumptions on my part:
1. Scratched
2. Scratched consecutively
3. Wasn’t a winnable game, hoping for 4 pts today & tomorrow with #1 in net

Lots of shuffling and movement on bottom 2 lines but they’re doing the scoring lately. Your coach at the helm better figure out how to get his top dawgs going, or the Fronts could slip to 8th place

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
View attachment 832764
Couple things.

Personally, I don’t have a problem with any of these moves. Hopkins could be sick, or injured or scratched. If he was scratched it’s not the worst game to do it in to get Cavelin a game and it’s not the end of the world. As I said prior, unless this kid was lighting it up all year then this wouldn’t make sense, but he’s not and you can’t use the excuse that it’s because he was on the 4th line. He’s played all through the line-up this year in a variety of situations and the results have been very similar.

Getting scratched is a reality that every player should experience some time in their career. I’m sure he’ll come back pissed and want to show Mann he made a mistake. If that happens than it’s a worth while exercise for both parties regardless of feelings.

All these moves seem to have some strategy behind it. JJ is coming off a big game, if he plays lights out than great, you could steal a win, if he loses than Vaccari is rested for the other two games and you could still come back with four points. Williamson has impressed me, he’s going to be a good d on this team, you need to keep getting him games where you can. Right now it means Chromiak who goes in and out, but you could also spell off others.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Only assumptions on my part:
1. Scratched
2. Scratched consecutively
3. Wasn’t a winnable game, hoping for 4 pts today & tomorrow with #1 in net

Lots of shuffling and movement on bottom 2 lines but they’re doing the scoring lately. Your coach at the helm better figure out how to get his top dawgs going, or the Fronts could slip to 8th place

Hopefully Hopkins is just sick or something because in a very lacklustre season for a 4th overall pick, not playing him the game after his best of the season is a really really confusing move.

I don’t see them keeping cavallin after this season. He hasn’t progressed much- he hasn’t got much time lately and it’s turning into a Mitchell brooks situation

Don’t know what the hell is up with Chromiak but if they traded all that crap for him to not play and maybe not even be on the team for next year then that’s a massive failure because they gave up some good stuff for him (like uens, and we have seen so far how that has worked out)

I wonder if they trade Chromiak in the off season to get some picks back as he will be back with some team next year, and pick 2 brand new import players.

I think that’s the case absolutely and I don’t blame mann for doing it. Every point counts down the line here.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
All these moves seem to have some strategy behind it. JJ is coming off a big game, if he plays lights out than great, you could steal a win, if he loses than Vaccari is rested for the other two games and you could still come back with four points. Williamson has impressed me, he’s going to be a good d on this team, you need to keep getting him games where you can. Right now it means Chromiak who goes in and out, but you could also spell off others
Absolutely Williamson should be playing.

Personally I’d be scratching uens as every game he has costly turnovers. I don’t get why Mann likes uens so much. Try scratching him for once. Guy gets 1st and second line d pairing for turning over the puck while other guys are scratched

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
IMG_7782.png

Mann changed up quite a few lines! ‘Bout time.

Thibodeaus getting a shot on the first line (makes sense as he’s probably the most consistent with points)

Miedema is no longer on 4th line there after playing well the last few games- he’s back on line 2.

Love the third line. McNamara, frasca and Soto. Hopefully McNamara wakes those 2 up. You hardly notice them half the time.

Glad Hopkins is back. Look for him to build off his best game of the season.

Schmidt and Chromiak line 1 (they’ve played really well together before mainly on powerplay, glad they’re getting the shot together)

Burns and uens (🤢) aka dumb and dumber

McGowan and Williamson is a solid line.

And vaccari is back today and probably tomorrow.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Dirty hit by Kostov on Poole. Not sure how that wasn’t a 5. Wouldn’t be surprised if poole is concussed. Heyes fought the guy after and was pretty pissed off even after. Will see what happens the rest of the game here but for teams that only play 2 times a year this has been a pretty rough game.

Also thought I should throw this in as I find it pretty comical- Thibodeau was on the pk and almost scored a goal- beautiful save by day.

Never in my life would I have thought of seeing thibby on the pk

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Dirty hit by Kostov on Poole. Not sure how that wasn’t a 5. Wouldn’t be surprised if poole is concussed. Heyes fought the guy after and was pretty pissed off even after. Will see what happens the rest of the game here but for teams that only play 2 times a year this has been a pretty rough game.

Also thought I should throw this in as I find it pretty comical- Thibodeau was on the pk and almost scored a goal- beautiful save by day.

Never in my life would I have thought of seeing thibby on the pk
There was no initial call on the Kostov hit. I can’t believe they reviewed it and came away with a 2. I’ll have to see it again on tv but in the arena I thought for sure it was a 5, game and a suspension. Poole was definitely struggling coming off the ice. If I had to guess…yeah, he’s got a pretty decent concussion. Won’t be shocked if Kostov picks up a suspension. Won’t be shocked if the league does nothing either though.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
There was no initial call on the Kostov hit. I can’t believe they reviewed it and came away with a 2. I’ll have to see it again on tv but in the arena I thought for sure it was a 5, game and a suspension. Poole was definitely struggling coming off the ice. If I had to guess…yeah, he’s got a pretty decent concussion. Won’t be shocked if Kostov picks up a suspension. Won’t be shocked if the league does nothing either though.
Exactly it looked really bad on tv. And yes not sure what league will do they make a lot of questionable calls lol.

Btw the reason why Heyes was so spirited about this is because if Poole receives 1 more concussion per a doctor he is to quit playing hockey.

Poole and Heyes have been like peanut butter and jam since they came here and I think played on the same minor midget teams so they’re really really close

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Exactly it looked really bad on tv. And yes not sure what league will do they make a lot of questionable calls lol.

Btw the reason why Heyes was so spirited about this is because if Poole receives 1 more concussion per a doctor he is to quit playing hockey.

Poole and Heyes have been like peanut butter and jam since they came here and I think played on the same minor midget teams so they’re really really close
In that case, I would suggest that this is Poole's last year of Junior hockey unless the Fronts want to dress him for enough games to qualify for the extra-year university next season.
Looking at the draft this spring, I don't think you will be drafting any impact D. There just isn't anyone available unless you take a flier at Jacob Xu. He has the size but is rated as 25th on the list.

I think the first round is going to be BPA for a lot of teams.

I noticed that there are a few players who are already committed to the USHL listed in the draft.

Chroniak will be back only if they cannot find a better Euro D to replace him and Uen. I think it is safe to say that one or both will be gone next year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
In that case, I would suggest that this is Poole's last year of Junior hockey unless the Fronts want to dress him for enough games to qualify for the extra-year university next season.
Looking at the draft this spring, I don't think you will be drafting any impact D. There just isn't anyone available unless you take a flier at Jacob Xu. He has the size but is rated as 25th on the list.

I noticed that there are a few players who are already committed to the USHL listed in the draft.

Chroniak will be back only if they cannot find a better Euro D to replace him and Uen. I think it is safe to say that one or both will be gone next year.
The Frontenacs probably hope Chromiak wants to return next season, and Uens is likely around for two more seasons. ‘It’s a league for 19 yr olds’ might be more true next season than ever considering the 2004-05 born entered the league together.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

I absolutely think it’s his last. Unless he wants to play in Oshawa (his home town) next year as their 3rd C. But he won’t have too much interest as an OA.

Yes Kingstons situation sucks right now. They need defence but this draft is not the one for that. Definitely see them picking a forward- maybe either a good goalscorer that will be a good 3rd liner for next year or they could take a guy with good potential may not be the best now but in a year will be a lot better. Or they could just pick the best available right now and ship them at the deadline. Not sure what will happen but I’d bet a lot of money they pick a forward with their first round unless some goalie is amazing

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

I absolutely think it’s his last. Unless he wants to play in Oshawa (his home town) next year as their 3rd C. But he won’t have too much interest as an OA.

Yes Kingstons situation sucks right now. They need defence but this draft is not the one for that. Definitely see them picking a forward- maybe either a good goalscorer that will be a good 3rd liner for next year or they could take a guy with good potential may not be the best now but in a year will be a lot better. Or they could just pick the best available right now and ship them at the deadline. Not sure what will happen but I’d bet a lot of money they pick a forward for.

Chromiak and uens I agree. I think Chromiak will be shipped out if he doesn’t improve his defence LOTS. But definitely think with one of the picks they’ll pick a goalie, the other maybe a defence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad