Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Mann's comment re: Poole injury - weird to hope for a neck injury but the "He was a dazed a little bit" isn't promising

“It looks like it’s just his neck,” he said. “That’s encouraging. His symptoms today weren’t any worse, he just has a hard time moving his neck left or right. We’ll know more tomorrow. He was dazed a little bit on the hit and didn’t finish the game. I’m hoping it’s more precautionary than anything else.”

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
Hopefully Hopkins is just sick or something because in a very lacklustre season for a 4th overall pick, not playing him the game after his best of the season is a really really confusing move.

I don’t see them keeping cavallin after this season. He hasn’t progressed much- he hasn’t got much time lately and it’s turning into a Mitchell brooks situation

Don’t know what the hell is up with Chromiak but if they traded all that crap for him to not play and maybe not even be on the team for next year then that’s a massive failure because they gave up some good stuff for him (like uens, and we have seen so far how that has worked out)

I wonder if they trade Chromiak in the off season to get some picks back as he will be back with some team next year, and pick 2 brand new import players.

I think that’s the case absolutely and I don’t blame mann for doing it. Every point counts down the line here.
Hopkins was scratched because he missed a couple of practices to attend a funeral.

Exactly it looked really bad on tv. And yes not sure what league will do they make a lot of questionable calls lol.

Btw the reason why Heyes was so spirited about this is because if Poole receives 1 more concussion per a doctor he is to quit playing hockey.

Poole and Heyes have been like peanut butter and jam since they came here and I think played on the same minor midget teams so they’re really really close
They are best friends and have been since u9. Their parents are very good friends

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Mann's comment re: Poole injury - weird to hope for a neck injury but the "He was a dazed a little bit" isn't promising

“It looks like it’s just his neck,” he said. “That’s encouraging. His symptoms today weren’t any worse, he just has a hard time moving his neck left or right. We’ll know more tomorrow. He was dazed a little bit on the hit and didn’t finish the game. I’m hoping it’s more precautionary than anything else.”
It’s not good having any injury but a head injury would put him out not only for the rest of the year but for the rest of his career so I get where Mann is coming from

Hopkins was scratched because he missed a couple of practices to attend a funeral.

They are best friends and have been since u9. Their parents are very good friends
Thanks for the clarification- makes sense absolutely as Hopkins and Schaefer are really close and obviously about schaefers mom.

Wow since that early eh?! Holy crap good for them that’s amazing

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
Heard today from another person close to the team that was on the road trip that it was exactly as Mann described, more of a whiplash and shock injury for Poole. Haven’t heard anything about Heyes, I hope he’s just in protocol and hasn’t any injury. Can’t believe between both those targeted shots, only one 2 minute penalty was assessed. Rediculous on the league and by these officials. The only way you stop that type of play is through suspension and two minutes doesn’t do that. Sounded like Poole is ok which is great news and he may only be out for a game or two for rest.

With that said, the one difference I see in some of the top teams structure is how they defend each other. Full kudos to Heyes for sending a message right back to Flint after that blindside hit to say you come for one of us we’ll answer the bell right back and he did. Shows what a team player he is, and I don’t think it’s just because they are best friends, watching him these past years I just think he is a guy who just does that. I see that same attitude in Poole, Burns, Uens, and maybe McGowan. They will defend their team mates no matter what. When Heyes was hit, nobody really stood up for him. I guarantee you if that was London, you would have 19 players coming at you. Hamilton was the exact same way when they went to the cup.

It may sound rediculous but if teams know they can wear you down without retribution, the game plan for the opponent will always be that simple. It’s not always about goals and assists, in playoffs it’s about playing with heart, those players I mentioned may not be favourites of everyone on here but they bring something to this team that can’t be measured by a statistic and come play off time that’s the type of player that helps you win games. Hoping to see those boys back.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Poole will sit for the rest of the season until the playoffs. Why risk injury for nothing games?

I would not be surprised to see Salajko in the nets for the Petes if he looks good in game one. Expect him back in the nets for game 2 and Vaccari in the nets for NB

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022

The funny thing also is that they played against Jackson Stewart their whole life and hated each other. Then when they all arrived in Kingston they were inseperable. I've seen all 3 boys parents standing together after games when they were all 3 here. Thats' hockey

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Ethan Weir had a hat trick in the St. Mary's playoff game yesterday - up to 4 goals and 1 assist in 3 games. I'm not gonna pretend to know anything about the GOJHL, but they're up 3-0 in the series while outscoring their opponents 25-2 so far. I was wondering if their season ended early maybe he'd get a look in one of the last couple games but it seems like they could go deep.

I'd have to think he'll get a deep look next year after a solid rookie year.

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Ethan Weir had a hat trick in the St. Mary's playoff game yesterday - up to 4 goals and 1 assist in 3 games. I'm not gonna pretend to know anything about the GOJHL, but they're up 3-0 in the series while outscoring their opponents 25-2 so far. I was wondering if their season ended early maybe he'd get a look in one of the last couple games but it seems like they could go deep.

great experience for him to be counted on

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
The funny thing also is that they played against Jackson Stewart their whole life and hated each other. Then when they all arrived in Kingston they were inseperable. I've seen all 3 boys parents standing together after games when they were all 3 here. Thats' hockey
Stewies billet family were often the hosts of the parties too...which apparently helps

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Poole will sit for the rest of the season until the playoffs. Why risk injury for nothing games?

I would not be surprised to see Salajko in the nets for the Petes if he looks good in game one. Expect him back in the nets for game 2 and Vaccari in the nets for NB
Beast look at the rest of games with kingston and the rest with barrie. Barrie has a better schedule here and has more games. I think they’re gonna play vaccari until they lock up that 7 seed. Then salajko will get a few games in a row before playoffs where vaccari plays all the games.

Kingston plays the Pete’s twice this week. They need to win both games, but this year every game is pretty close with the Pete’s so I’ll say win one lose one there, then they play North Bay who is fighting for first in east (they’re gonna get smoked against them), Ottawa who we hopefully beat but we have a 6-0-1 record against this year and I’d bet that Ottawa would like to win a game here as they’re fighting for first place with a bunch of other teams, and then brantford who has played really well against us this year and is as well fighting for that first spot. So I predict kingston goes 2/5 in those games but could be 1/5 for 64 pts on the year.

Barrie plays against you guys again on Thursday at home this time and judging by the box score it was really close today so they might win that game against you guys, then they play Sudbury twice in the next 6 games, they might split or lose both of those, but let’s just say split, then they play Niagara twice which I assume they’ll either split or win both of those games, now if my math is correct they should be tied with us then. Then the remaining games are north bay and Peterborough. Prob win against Pete’s and lose to north bay.

I really think barrie is going to finish above kingston here and Kingstons going to drop to 8. For Kingstons sake hopefully they play Oshawa or Ottawa first round because if it’s any of the other teams it’ll be a quick series probably.

Thanks for the update!

Next year I think he will start on the 3rd line but could be on the second by the end of the year. Hopefully his play is similar to Sam O’Reilly on London- that would be huge for us and him.

Handcuffhockey

Nov 12, 2022
Stewies billet family were often the hosts of the parties too...which apparently helps
I do miss Stewart with those guys as well. Another tough guy who wouldn’t let his team get pushed around. That’s a good story. I knew they were good friends from some of the articles but didn’t know they hated each other before they played together. Gotta love hockey.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Beast look at the rest of games with kingston and the rest with barrie. Barrie has a better schedule here and has more games. I think they’re gonna play vaccari until they lock up that 7 seed. Then salajko will get a few games in a row before playoffs where vaccari plays all the games.

Kingston plays the Pete’s twice this week. They need to win both games, but this year every game is pretty close with the Pete’s so I’ll say win one lose one there, then they play North Bay who is fighting for first in east (they’re gonna get smoked against them), Ottawa who we hopefully beat but we have a 6-0-1 record against this year and I’d bet that Ottawa would like to win a game here as they’re fighting for first place with a bunch of other teams, and then brantford who has played really well against us this year and is as well fighting for that first spot. So I predict kingston goes 2/5 in those games but could be 1/5 for 64 pts on the year.

Barrie plays against you guys again on Thursday at home this time and judging by the box score it was really close today so they might win that game against you guys, then they play Sudbury twice in the next 6 games, they might split or lose both of those, but let’s just say split, then they play Niagara twice which I assume they’ll either split or win both of those games, now if my math is correct they should be tied with us then. Then the remaining games are north bay and Peterborough. Prob win against Pete’s and lose to north bay.

I really think barrie is going to finish above kingston here and Kingstons going to drop to 8. For Kingstons sake hopefully they play Oshawa or Ottawa first round because if it’s any of the other teams it’ll be a quick series probably.

Thanks for the update!

Next year I think he will start on the 3rd line but could be on the second by the end of the year. Hopefully his play is similar to Sam O’Reilly on London- that would be huge for us and him.
I have to wonder what the difference between 7 and 8 is going to be all those teams are flying high

Miedema Frasca Battaglia
Euro mcnamara Thibodeau
Cavalin Hopkins Solo
Weir draft draft
Heyes

Burns Williamson
McGowan Chromiak(Euro)
Vellarias Uen
Bergeron Moore

Vaccari
Salajko
Paddock

A lot of holes to fill but not too bad for a rebuilding team.

Of course, they can make trades after they really see what you have.

I am alsonot including Poole as I think medically he is done. He may play but it is going to be sparingly

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I have to wonder what the difference between 7 and 8 is going to be all those teams are flying high

Miedema Frasca Battaglia
Euro mcnamara Thibodeau
Cavalin Hopkins Solo
Weir draft draft
Heyes

Burns Williamson
McGowan Chromiak(Euro)
Vellarias Uen
Bergeron Moore

Vaccari
Salajko
Paddock

A lot of holes to fill but not too bad for a rebuilding team.

Of course, they can make trades after they really see what you have.

I am alsonot including Poole as I think medically he is done. He may play but it is going to be sparingly

7 seed vs 8 seed is meaningless for Kingston. It could mean a significant difference at the draft table though. For Kingston to snag the 7th seed, they likely finish in a position to pick 8th overall. If they finish 8th, they could pick as low as 5th overall. That may make a very significant difference at the draft.

Who they prefer to play in round one is totally dependent on luck. They could finish 7th and the team they prefer to play finishes in the #1 seed. Or vice versa.

Kingston needs to concentrate ONLY on preparing for round one now. Anyone that needs rest, give them rest. IF Vaccari needs some time off to recharge the batteries, give him time off.

Barrie has 7 games left. Four tough ones (Ottawa, Sudbury x2, and North Bay) plus three easier ones (Niagara x2 and Peterborough). They should win at least three games there. That would theoretically end up as a tie for 7th. They are 2-2 head to head this season. Then the next tie breaker is ROW’s. Kingston has more so it looks like Kingston holds the tie-breaker. So, provided the top teams all beat Barrie, it looks like it doesn’t matter what Kingston does down the stretch. They finish 7th.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
7 seed vs 8 seed is meaningless for Kingston. It could mean a significant difference at the draft table though. For Kingston to snag the 7th seed, they likely finish in a position to pick 8th overall. If they finish 8th, they could pick as low as 5th overall. That may make a very significant difference at the draft.

Who they prefer to play in round one is totally dependent on luck. They could finish 7th and the team they prefer to play finishes in the #1 seed. Or vice versa.

Kingston needs to concentrate ONLY on preparing for round one now. Anyone that needs rest, give them rest. IF Vaccari needs some time off to recharge the batteries, give him time off.

Barrie has 7 games left. Four tough ones (Ottawa, Sudbury x2, and North Bay) plus three easier ones (Niagara x2 and Peterborough). They should win at least three games there. That would theoretically end up as a tie for 7th. They are 2-2 head to head this season. Then the next tie breaker is ROW’s. Kingston has more so it looks like Kingston holds the tie-breaker. So, provided the top teams all beat Barrie, it looks like it doesn’t matter what Kingston does down the stretch. They finish 7th.
LOL, is this comment about the draft from the same guy that said a couple of spots had very little difference when we were talking about the 67.

Whether playing any of the top 3 it really will not mater int he long run

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
I do miss Stewart with those guys as well. Another tough guy who wouldn’t let his team get pushed around. That’s a good story. I knew they were good friends from some of the articles but didn’t know they hated each other before they played together. Gotta love hockey.
He is a throwback, was always fun to watch. Poole and Heyes in or out tinight? Both suffered high hits on the weekend

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
LOL, is this comment about the draft from the same guy that said a couple of spots had very little difference when we were talking about the 67.

Whether playing any of the top 3 it really will not mater int he long run

Not a big difference when the difference is 14th or 16th but is a big difference when it is 5th or 8th…. You should know better.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Not a big difference when the difference is 14th or 16th but is a big difference when it is 5th or 8th…. You should know better.
There is no set pattern or history to that.
Every single draft is a little different.
Some drafts you see a drop off at 3rd pick, some the 5th, some the 7th.
It's also completely subjective so it's possible that both of you are right.
Just depends on the draft year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There is no set pattern or history to that.
Every single draft is a little different.
Some drafts you see a drop off at 3rd pick, some the 5th, some the 7th.
It's also completely subjective so it's possible that both of you are right.
Just depends on the draft year.

Outliers are possible HOWEVER, the difference between 5th and 8th is typically more impactful than 14th and 16th. For starters, it is 3 spots difference later in the 1st round vs 4 spots difference early in the 1st round. Even if there is relatively no difference, there is the one spot.

The original conversation was it would be better for Ottawa to finish 5th than 2nd because they would get a better draft pick. Sure, but based on the OVERALL standings, the difference is three spots (14th and 16th).

In this conversation, the difference between 7th and 8th in the eastern conference could be the difference between picking 5th and 8th. As mentioned, that is a four pick gap, not a three pick gap.

As you are aware, the top 5 picks usually have strong consensus at the draft. Only on the more unusual deeper drafts do we see aligned consensus as deep as 10 players with the variance in talent not overly dropping off after picks 2 or 3. That is the rare draft.

Circling back to the reference point of this conversation, the value of Kingston finishing 7th vs 8th from a playoffs perspective is minimal to no difference. However, the draft pick may significantly improve and even if the players between 5th and 8th are similar, they’d likely at least have a better pick of position of need as opposed to backing into the one guy left and settling for whatever position that is. From the Ottawa perspective, finishing as the division winner and ending up in the #2 seed would have significant implications on the playoffs. Home ice advantage for at least two rounds is strategically advantageous. Potential for additional gate revenue is advantageous. Potentially playing round one against a closer opponent (Kingston) is advantageous to reduce travel etc. The advantages in that situation would far outweigh the difference in value from pick 14th an 16th. In all honestly, when you take into consideration al the factors, it is almost silly to compare the two as Beast has done.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Outliers are possible HOWEVER, the difference between 5th and 8th is typically more impactful than 14th and 16th. For starters, it is 3 spots difference later in the 1st round vs 4 spots difference early in the 1st round. Even if there is relatively no difference, there is the one spot.

The original conversation was it would be better for Ottawa to finish 5th than 2nd because they would get a better draft pick. Sure, but based on the OVERALL standings, the difference is three spots (14th and 16th).

In this conversation, the difference between 7th and 8th in the eastern conference could be the difference between picking 5th and 8th. As mentioned, that is a four pick gap, not a three pick gap.

As you are aware, the top 5 picks usually have strong consensus at the draft. Only on the more unusual deeper drafts do we see aligned consensus as deep as 10 players with the variance in talent not overly dropping off after picks 2 or 3. That is the rare draft.

Circling back to the reference point of this conversation, the value of Kingston finishing 7th vs 8th from a playoffs perspective is minimal to no difference. However, the draft pick may significantly improve and even if the players between 5th and 8th are similar, they’d likely at least have a better pick of position of need as opposed to backing into the one guy left and settling for whatever position that is. From the Ottawa perspective, finishing as the division winner and ending up in the #2 seed would have significant implications on the playoffs. Home ice advantage for at least two rounds is strategically advantageous. Potential for additional gate revenue is advantageous. Potentially playing round one against a closer opponent (Kingston) is advantageous to reduce travel etc. The advantages in that situation would far outweigh the difference in value from pick 14th an 16th. In all honestly, when you take into consideration al the factors, it is almost silly to compare the two as Beast has done.
Top 5 picks have been moved during the January trade window twice in 20 years, maybe the only times. At 15, a team is likely choosing the most suitable player for their team.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Scorers sheet line-up posted - going 11/7. No Heyes, Hopkins or Holmes - Velliaris in as 7th D. Anyone know if Holmes is scratched or just banged up? Having a scratched OA is not ideal.

1710357487066.png

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Got a question for you guys. Not sure the answer. Hypothetically if kingston drops to 8th, and they make it on from round 1. What happens with their draft position? Do they then move up to the lowest draft pick of those remaining in round 2 (12+)or does it just go off where they finish in the regular season?( 5th/6th)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad