Kings News: Kings Trade Ehrhoff for Scuderi

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
Please explain how this would benefit the Kings and who you'd get to replace them?
I don't think they are all that hard to replace... To replace Lewis with a guy like Versteeg, Parenteau or similar UFA. Brown I wouldn't want to replace - rather go for an upgrade. That said replacing him with the likes of McGinn, Hudler, Staal (not sure it makes sense), Hartnell (not desirable to me), Purcell (meh), Weise, Galagher, Galchenyuk (hmn), Boyes (nooo), Vrbata, Stafford...

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I don't think they are all that hard to replace... To replace Lewis with a guy like Versteeg, Parenteau or similar UFA. Brown I wouldn't want to replace - rather go for an upgrade. That said replacing him with the likes of McGinn, Hudler, Staal (not sure it makes sense), Hartnell (not desirable to me), Purcell (meh), Weise, Galagher, Galchenyuk (hmn), Boyes (nooo), Vrbata, Stafford...
Most of who you listed can only replace offensive production, something that Brown and Lewis aren't primarily relied on for.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Don't understand this trade at all, Scuds doesn't improve our defense unless he somehow miraculously turns it around, which is highly doubtful. Would have been better off doing nothing, or even calling up Schultz, who is about even with Scuds as far as skill at this point.

Its kind of baffling people are behind Lombardi on this, unless its a precursor to another trade which would actually improve our team.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Don't understand this trade at all, Scuds doesn't improve our defense unless he somehow miraculously turns it around, which is highly doubtful. Would have been better off doing nothing, or even calling up Schultz, who is about even with Scuds as far as skill at this point.

Its kind of baffling people are behind Lombardi on this, unless its a precursor to another trade which would actually improve our team.

Someone said this on the main board too. I don't see anyone celebrating.

It's simply a try out for two likely washups in situations where they may fit better but its unlikely.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Its just a pointless trade, feels like he just wanted to make a move for the sake of making one, knowing that we probably won't land anyone else. I hope that's not the case though.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
The kings are a cap team. Players like Pearson are incredibly valuable to a cap team. We can't replace Lewis with Versteeg due to the cap hit as others have mentioned.

I will hold judgement on bringing Scuds back since I believe this is the first of a series of moves. I expect at least one more trade - hopefully not at the expense of Kempe.

The kings window is open for at least a couple more years. I don't want to see kempe traded for a rental. Filling a long term hole I can see. Otherwise, we need his low cost ELC years.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Why is everyone so against this? Worst case scenario, we put Scuderi in the minors next year and are "stuck" with ~$300k while Chicago is stuck with his whole cap hit. Best case scenario, Scuderi plays his heart out this year, puts in some solid bottom-4 minutes, sees a resurgence similar to Vinny, and retires. Likely scenario, he plays solid-if-unimpressive sixth-defenseman minutes or is scratched. This obviously isn't a "big trade", just a bit of an insurance policy for both teams swapping players that clearly weren't working out.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011

It's also baffling how, as usual, everyone's a ****ing drama queen about a player that is set to make $1,125,000 this year and who knows where he'll be next. Ehrhoff was an absolute trainwreck. It's a minor move that should warrant very little response. Kings gave up absolutely NOTHING to acquire Scuderi. It's a no risk, low reward move. Push comes to shove, trade him for a seventh round pick at the draft. It's a nothing trade.

Interesting deal to say the least. It's kind of a wash but with a higher cap hit.

Scuderi's cap hit for the Kings is $1,125,000 and Ehrhoff's is $1,275,000 (accounting for the 15% retained by LA).

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
It's also baffling how, as usual, everyone's a ****ing drama queen about a player that is set to make $1,125,000 this year and who knows where he'll be next. Ehrhoff was an absolute trainwreck. It's a minor move that should warrant very little response. Kings gave up absolutely NOTHING to acquire Scuderi. It's a no risk, low reward move. Push comes to shove, trade him for a seventh round pick at the draft. It's a nothing trade.

Scuderi's cap hit for the Kings is $1,125,000 and Ehrhoff's is $1,275,000 (accounting for the 15% retained by LA).

I forgot about the 15 pct retained. But yeah, no big deal as far as I'm concerned. Maybe he was brought in to give future King Justin Schultz a crash course in how to play defense.:laugh:

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008

Its basically a pointless trade with likely zero upside. Have you ****ing seen Scuderi play this year or last? I doubt it. He's a bigger train wreck than Ehrhoff. No need to get defensive just because people are criticizing your boy Lombardi.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
Kings web page says Scuderi will wear 7. Was that his Kings number from before? If not, isn't this a slap in the face! So they call up Forbort and Scuderi has his number. I really feel sorry for how the Kings mess with these kids. IMO.

Or, are they trading Forbort?

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Kings web page says Scuderi will wear 7. Was that his Kings number from before? If not, isn't this a slap in the face! So they call up Forbort and Scuderi has his number. I really feel sorry for how the Kings mess with these kids. IMO.

Rookies have no say in numbers. Vets get first choice, and Forbort may get a nice compensation from Scuds like they do in the NBA and NFL.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Its basically a pointless trade with likely zero upside. Have you ****ing seen Scuderi play this year or last? I doubt it. He's a bigger train wreck than Ehrhoff. No need to get defensive just because people are criticizing your boy Lombardi.

Well, I saw Ehrhoff play and I can't imagine anyone being worse than him.

And I'm not getting defensive, I just think it's hilarious that people get so worked up over a nothing trade. Two fringe NHL players being swapped.

It's a number. I'd hope Forbort has enough fortitude to push through.

justonetime

Mar 13, 2009

Yes it was his number before...

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
A few people think Scuds may retire at the end of the season.

Scuderi has played in 42 games this season, 25 with Pittsburgh and 17 with Chicago. He has logged an average of 14:40 in ice time between the two and combined for a 46.1 and 47.1 corsi and fenwick for percentage. Both of those are in the -7 and -6 range relative to his teammates. The 37-year old Scuderi still has one more year on his deal but it is thought that he will retire at the end of this season.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jason-Lewis/Kings-Swap-Ehrhoff-for-Scuderi/179/75097

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Absent other information, I think he'll play next year.

I have no idea what DL will do for his next move. I just know In Dean We Trust.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Someone said this on the main board too. I don't see anyone celebrating.

It's simply a try out for two likely washups in situations where they may fit better but its unlikely.

Flipping Ehrhoff for a 6th round pick would have been beneficial. This is just now taking up a roster spot on the NHL team and a contract next year (If he doesn't retire)

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
I wish we had just kept Gravel in the lineup, he played really well in the games he was in, far better than McBain and far better than Scuderi will do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad