Confirmed with Link: Kings Sign Kopitar (2 Years/ $7m AAV)

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I guess this slams the door shut on Matthews to LA next summer.

Maybe test the waters in 2 years if Matthews only signs a 2-3 year extension.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
omg..

Isn't it a little bit late for an April fools joke?

I was eagerly awaiting your response Kurri. Between two of your favorites in Kupari and Vilardi moving on and now this Kopitar extension I knew you'd have a strong opinion

define least successful teams?
In the last 9 years, since Kopitar's extension was signed the Kings have 0 playoff series wins, that ties them with Buffalo and Detroit for the fewest. Philadelphia and Arizona have 0 traditional playoff wins but have wins in the Covid qualifying round.

But either way, the Kings have been one of the 5 least successful franchises in the NHL the last 9 years. Do I blame Kopitar's contract? Not like others do, but the comments about the team being bottom of the barrel league wide are certainly more than valid.

Last edited:

GameNight

Dec 5, 2021
Signing Kopi now takes away a potential distraction and stabilizes the roster.

With all the trade upheaval and cap non-management, it's not out of the realm of possibility the Kings stumble hard out of the gate to start the season.

You've got several popular teammates traded away, a HC on his 5th season, players sick of his 1-3-1 and Kopitar headed to UFA. Most of us here know better, but the rumor mill in Toronto and NY would go into overdrive about where Kopitar could land by the TDL. There would be no coming back from that.

It's just Blake covering his ass

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Blake is down bad trying to cling to the possibility that this core is a contender. The word is out by now - Gavrikov, PLD, and Kopi have already cashed in. I fully expect the announcements of Roy's 7x$6.0 and Arvidsson's 5x$5.5 extensions to drop by the end of July.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Literally what the hell were you guys expecting.

That "new" and "younger" talent would take over? Maybe that after 4 years of being drafted in the top 5 that Turcotte would be more than a middle six AHL'er? That our 2nd overall pick would have more than 10 goals 3 years after being drafted?

Our new guys f***ing suck. Our prospect pool is shit. I hope we extend Kopi another 6 years when this one expires.

60 Year old Kopi>> Everything else that we have.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Signing Kopi now takes away a potential distraction and stabilizes the roster.

With all the trade upheaval and cap non-management, it's not out of the realm of possibility the Kings stumble hard out of the gate to start the season.

You've got several popular teammates traded away, a HC on his 5th season, players sick of his 1-3-1 and Kopitar headed to UFA. Most of us here know better, but the rumor mill in Toronto and NY would go into overdrive about where Kopitar could land by the TDL. There would be no coming back from that.

It's just Blake covering his ass
If this team is so mentally fragile as to not being able to handle a 37 year old player moving on they don’t belong in this business.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019

That "new" and "younger" talent would take over? Maybe that after 4 years of being drafted in the top 5 that Turcotte would be more than a middle six AHL'er? That our 2nd overall pick would have more than 10 goals 3 years after being drafted?

Our new guys f***ing suck. Our prospect pool is shit. I hope we extend Kopi another 6 years when this one expires.

Well, most of those prospects were drafted By Blake and if they suck as you say they do, this says a lot about Blake's decision making ability which would be no good and he should not be in that position to make those kind of decisions and decisions on players salary.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

Blake picked these guys you say suck. The development staff and scouting department need an overhaul if its their fault. All we see is promotions and extensions for everyone in the organization and you said yourself someone is messing up somewhere down the line.

Reactions: Schrute farms

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Makes you wonder why Lombardi didn't get the 2012/2014 SC winning good old boy until retirement stay that Kopi and DD basically are getting. It seems unfair. Not like Blake has gotten us any sniff of a SC during his tenure (& not likely to happen going forward).
Et tu, BLuc. That's why.

Pat Brisson is the winner of the offseason. Master class.

Anyone who believed in $5M are looking like a bunch of suckers.
Well there is the 10% for the BLuc to be held in Brisson's account until they get fired.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Well, most of those prospects were drafted By Blake and if they suck as you say they do, this says a lot about Blake's decision making ability which would be no good and he should not be in that position to make those kind of decisions and decisions on players salary.
There's a big difference between our shit prospects and our most consistent 1C in franchise history.

I have no problem giving Kopi that deal. I'm tired of hearing people bitch about this not giving our younger guys an opportunity to succeed. Like no.. they're just really bad.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Given how Kopi has been playing and the shape he is in, I doubt we could do better for $7M. He's never relied on speed or agility, mostly his brain and positioning, which is as good as it ever was.

I'd prefer a bit lower and signed a little later, but whatever. I didn't expect him to retire or move on, so 2 years is good.

Reactions: lumbergh

Jungle Boy

Feb 12, 2003
Recife, Brazil
Guys maybe is time to chill. I have been on these boards for 21 years (I resgitered in 03 but started following in the 02 draft) I have never seen my fellow Kings fans like this.
You guys talk about drafting and dvlping players and 5 of our top 8 dmen were drafted and/or developed here with Blake as an GM. Our foward group is Kopitar + draftees + very good trades + a great UFA in Danault. The Toronto trades worked really well. RV has been solid and Fiala has been a fan favorite since his third game in a Kings uni and the same may happen with PLD.
Drafting has been very good, but we have two big question marks in Byfield and Turcotte, but at the time, both players seemed like the obvious pick.

About the cap, where do you guys see it going next season? If it Goes up like they are saying we are fine.

Just relax,enjoy the summer up there and send me some Carl Jrs

Reactions: FSL KINGS

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Pardon me for sticking my nose in your family squabble - but I don't understand so much gnashing of teeth. Kopi is still playing at a very high level - a true 1C level. Can he do it for 3 more seasons? Nobody knows but he hasn't shown anything to suggest his play is declining.

YAYSAY

Feb 18, 2016
Pardon me for sticking my nose in your family squabble - but I don't understand so much gnashing of teeth. Kopi is still playing at a very high level - a true 1C level. Can he do it for 3 more seasons? Nobody knows but he hasn't shown anything to suggest his play is declining.
It's just knowing how 99% of NHLers careers have gone. Joe Thornton was scoring 82 points in 82 games, until he wasn't anymore. Drop offs can happen so fast when players get older. If Kopitar put up another great season the contract wouldn't be so bad, but there was simply no reason to sign the deal today.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
Guys maybe is time to chill. I have been on these boards for 21 years (I resgitered in 03 but started following in the 02 draft) I have never seen my fellow Kings fans like this.
You guys talk about drafting and dvlping players and 5 of our top 8 dmen were drafted and/or developed here with Blake as an GM. Our foward group is Kopitar + draftees + very good trades + a great UFA in Danault. The Toronto trades worked really well. RV has been solid and Fiala has been a fan favorite since his third game in a Kings uni and the same may happen with PLD.
Drafting has been very good, but we have two big question marks in Byfield and Turcotte, but at the time, both players seemed like the obvious pick.

About the cap, where do you guys see it going next season? If it Goes up like they are saying we are fine.

Just relax,enjoy the summer up there and send me some Carl Jrs
It was bad before. Clowns wanted Kopi gone in 2011 too.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
If you based your opinion off of how Kopitar is perceived on the Kings board, you would think he was the equivalent of Steve Bellemare. I think some of these dudes have significant unresolved personal issues.

Reactions: Choralone

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley

Signing early ONLY benefits Kopi. I expect a smart and rational decision by management.

Kingkopitar

Jan 10, 2017
Could it be that his names brings people to the seats and it is more about that than what he can do? Also, thinking about games in which Kopi doesn't play starts to seem a little hellish. The guy is the glue that holds a lot of things together sometimes, even if he isn't scoring. I think that is obvious, right?

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

It's because this board is now polarized even if there isn't a reason. It wasn't like this until recently, there was great discussion. Now it's starting to mirror the internet at large where people try to be extra outlandish or try to become master instigators to set themselves apart. Gotta pick a side, can't give in, and so on. Gotta rip on something in posts.

It's only going to get worse as the population grows. The coupling of individuals craving attention in a world where it's harder and harder to stand out and the anonymity of a keyboard is a terrible combination. The only reason it hasn't flown completely off of the rails here is there is a solid contingent of long-time members who were around when discussion and debate was an in-person thing, and not a virtual one. Not to say that younger posters can't be solid or can see both sides, it's just not as common.

Signing early ONLY benefits Kopi. I expect a smart and rational decision by management.

It seems that way on the face of it, but what if Kopi lines up between PLD and Kempe and ends up over a ppg? He certainly could have gotten more than this deal on the open market, so there is that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad