Confirmed with Link: Kings Sign Kopitar (2 Years/ $7m AAV)

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
My biggest issue with the deal is, though his cap hit is $10 million, he's only getting $7 million this year.

So there's virtually no drop in what the Kings are paying him, meaning that there's probably not going to be any other changes with him.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
My biggest issue with the deal is, though his cap hit is $10 million, he's only getting $7 million this year.

So there's virtually no drop in what the Kings are paying him, meaning that there's probably not going to be any other changes with him.
So there is zero discount whatsoever. He will make the same amount of money the two years following this season while we hope he maintains the same level of play.

I love the guy but, man...this didn't need to happen now.

I've likened him to Sundin but even the Sundin ride ended at age 37.

Should have been riding the one year deal each year and act accordingly. Is this about winning a Cup or is it about getting more of that bag? Already has two Cups so how much hunger is there for a 3rd one? If it was an intense hunger, this isn't a $7MM cap hit.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Do you like this KP? Or does it rub you the wrong way too that Byfield seems locked out of a spot.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
I mean $7million would be okay if he keeps scoring 70ish points, but is anyone really expecting him to not have any dropoff in the next 3 years?
Yeah you don't want to lowball the guy but $7million for a guy in his 37~38 year old seasons is awful lot of money.
I guess BLUC really didn't like being lowballed on their final contracts.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
So there is zero discount whatsoever. He will make the same amount of money the two years following this season while we hope he maintains the same level of play.

I love the guy but, man...this didn't need to happen now.

I've likened him to Sundin but even the Sundin ride ended at age 37.

Should have been riding the one year deal each year and act accordingly. Is this about winning a Cup or is it about getting more of that bag? Already has two Cups so how much hunger is there for a 3rd one? If it was an intense hunger, this isn't a $7MM cap hit.
He indicated he wanted this to happen now.
You could have watched him sign with Vegas next summer instead...

Reactions: SlimCharles

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
There goes my theory that Byfield will still be a center. It doesnt make sense to sign Kopitar before next offseason.
It has to be the worst rebuild of all time. Not one pick from the rebuild years have been a regular player or solidified a spot and they are now still doubling down on the old core. Kopitar and Doughty didnt look like a core to build around in the playoffs.
It is hard to get behind management with this. They need to clean house from management to drafting/development to coaching and go from there before they get stuck in the blackhole for many years.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
I mean $7million would be okay if he keeps scoring 70ish points, but is anyone really expecting him to not have any dropoff in the next 3 years?
Yeah you don't want to lowball the guy but $7million for a guy in his 37~38 year old seasons is awful lot of money.
I guess BLUC really didn't like being lowballed on their final contracts.
2024-2026 is gonna be brutal on these boards if/when Kopi age catches up to him. It will happen -- Father Time is undefeated. The real question is whether Blake will be around still at that time or not.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
He indicated he wanted this to happen now.
You could have watched him sign with Vegas next summer instead...
so?

this team shouldn't be dependent upon kopi next offseason if the people in charge have any clue what they're doing

Reactions: hn777

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
There goes my theory that Byfield will still be a center. It doesnt make sense to sign Kopitar before next offseason.
It has to be the worst rebuild of all time. Not one pick from the rebuild years have been a regular player or solidified a spot and they are now still doubling down on the old core. Kopitar and Doughty didnt look like a core to build around in the playoffs.
It is hard to get behind management with this. They need to clean house from management to drafting/development to coaching and go from there before they get stuck in the blackhole for many years.
Byfields future is still unwritten.
Kopi may retire after dos mas.
We will then measure where to deploy Byfied

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad