Confirmed with Link: Kings Sign Kopitar (2 Years/ $7m AAV)

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Vegas wouldn't give him 7 Mill per year. They are not as dumb as Blake.
Vegas continually makes moves to make things happen.
Sucking in and blowing out players.
They blew a Stanley Cup Bubble this year.
I am sure they would pay Kopi close to 7 when Stone goes on his annual Academy Award wining LTIR sabbatical.
If they don't multiple other teams would.
Cap is set to ratchet up.

Shocking.. Kings fans not happy :laugh:
90% of the unhappy ones are here only

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Vegas continually makes moves to make things happen.
Sucking in and blowing out players.
They blew a Stanley Cup Bubble this year.
I am sure they would pay Kopi close to 7 when Stone goes on his annual Academy Award wining LTIR sabbatical.
If they don't multiple other teams would.
Cap is set to ratchet up.

90% of the unhappy ones are here only
Do you really think that Kopi can continue to play at the level he is playing. I think his performance will decline, He wasn't a fast skater in his prime and has slowed down from his prime and will continue to get slower. That comes with age. Basically Blake has paid him for what he has done and not for what he will be capable to do in those two years. Why do you think he demand a contract now instead of next year? Because he knows there is a real good chance his numbers will drop and won't be worth that 7 mill.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Do you like this KP? Or does it rub you the wrong way too that Byfield seems locked out of a spot.
I have mixed feelings - Kopitar has only started showing some signs of slowing down. I would have liked a little less, but I don't hate the deal.

As far as Byfield, I don't look at it as being locked out of a spot, since for all intents and purposes, players CAN in theory be switched. But even if not, if Byfield develops into a top-flight winger instead of a center, this deal means very little. I care more about good picks and putting players in a position to succeed. If he grows, cool. If not, well - the team would have so many issues, it won't matter at that point.

What I DON'T want to see is Byfield strapped to Kopitar's wing for three straight seasons, then when Kopitar retires, the Kings suddenly move him to center and expect him to take over as center.

So, long and short of it, there are ways this can be implemented where I won't hate it. But I am worried this is more likely to be mishandled.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Oh wow. It actually is a little shocking that this got done so immediately. I recently said that the biggest thing looming over the Kings right now is Kopitar's future. It's honestly nice to see them prioritize him. He is guaranteed to decline sooner or later, but man was he pivotal last season... It is a fair deal. Kopi deserves it. No one deserves it more in franchise history.

Having him on the books for three more years is intense, and we have to expect him to step down from #1C sooner or later throughout the deal, but if there is anyone I would count on to still be both healthy and useful down the stretch of their career it would be him...

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Do you really think that Kopi can continue to play at the level he is playing. I think his performance will decline, He wasn't a fast skater in his prime and has slowed down from his prime and will continue to get slower. That comes with age. Basically Blake has paid him for what he has done and not for what he will be capable to do in those two years. Why do you think he demand a contract now instead of next year? Because he knows there is a real good chance his numbers will drop and won't be worth that 7 mill.

Yes, expecting 65 pts from him the next 3 season is not really out of this world with the linemates he has. 65 pts is a median production for a 7 mil AAV contract.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
Yes, expecting 65 pts from him the next 3 season is not really out of this world with the linemates he has. 65 pts is a median production for a 7 mil AAV contract.
Well we will find out in the nest 3 years.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
I mean I don’t hate it. Cap is going up right? Kopitar will still be a valuable bottom 6 center in the event that PLD and Byfield shows that they’re capable of carrying the top lines. Only thing to be worried about is if Kopitar hits a MASSIVE decline to the point where he’s useless, which I don’t see happening. I think the guy is way too talented and he’ll find a way to be useful.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Makes you wonder why Lombardi didn't get the 2012/2014 SC winning good old boy until retirement stay that Kopi and DD basically are getting. It seems unfair. Not like Blake has gotten us any sniff of a SC during his tenure (& not likely to happen going forward).

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
All that is possible and we will see.
I did not mention any of your conjecture, not sure why you feel you have to pin me down on the future.
Kopi has made a big commitment to the Kings and it helped greatly for our only 2 cups.
He asked for a commitment from the team now, not really a demand.
I feel the team handled it appropriately.
Much like Gavi its only 2 years.
Blake expires as well in 2 years so he is probably getting input from his chain of command on who he signs and for how long.
Coming off the books after the season:
Tmac
Arvi
Roy
all goalies
Lizzo
Grundy
Lewis
numerous RFA's
numerous depth UFA's
After 24/25
BLAKE
Gavi
Englund

But a few posters have loudly assured people that the Kings are the one AEG entity that has absolutely no plan!
They couldn't be wrong!!
Or..

Last edited:

Octavian

Apr 11, 2007
Los Angeles
I'll start with my disclaimer: I love Kopitar as well.
However, there was no need to rush this deal particularly at the set price. Kopitar could have been honored for his past and present accomplishments with a more creative contract that hedged against the inevitable decline in production. I'm not ouraged or anything, but I think the team would certainly have benefitted from a more reasonable deal.

Reactions: Schrute farms

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Whats there to be happy about this move right now? They just signed a guy thats close to 40 for 7 million for two years and he isnt even done with his current contract.
Were you happy watching him get schooled by McDavid and Draisaitl in the playoffs?
Yes he won the Smelke award in the playoffs and I blame part of that on the savant behind the bench that doesnt realize that Danault is our top defender.

Reactions: Schmooley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad