Confirmed with Link: Kings Sign Kopitar (2 Years/ $7m AAV)

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Do you really think that Kopi would sign with Vegas over the Kings? 7 million? Come on.

Blake just wanted to give another marquee move this offseason because there wasn’t any more cap room left. It’s all bull shit publicity
Not with present management being smart about responding to a franchise icons request this summer after spending big bucks signing Gav and PLD.
But if some of these monday morning GM's salpping him in the face with wait and home down discount it very well could.
Vegas and teams like the Senators believe in the Kings scouts but not their development and coaches.
Again Kopi asked for it. Deserves it.
Some of the commentators here don't even deserve Kopi.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
Not with present management being smart about responding to a franchise icons request this summer after spending big bucks signing Gav and PLD.
But if some of these monday morning GM's salpping him in the face with wait and home down discount it very well could.
Vegas and teams like the Senators believe in the Kings scouts but not their development and coaches.
Again Kopi asked for it. Deserves it.
Some of the commentators here don't even deserve Kopi.
Why now? Please explain the rationale?

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Just zero need to be done now especially when the risk of him potentially falling off a cliff is so great. Not a fan of it. Because he signed it now does it do away with the +35 clause?

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
it's weird hearing someone say he doesn't the big money. beyond the fact that kopi has made a TON of money from the Kings. You'd think he might feel HE owes them something for not having him suffer his last 3-5 years of playing NHL for a tanking horrible team and babysitting 18-20yr olds....like the Ducks did to Getzlaf. Nope, the Kings turned things up and signed big vet FAs and traded away future for immediate guys...all in order to make the playoffs for Kopi/DD. In return, a $7M/year contract extension a year away for his years 37-38.

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
I’m just curious how they came to the 7m dollar number. Where are the comps? The only ones that I see have become terrible contracts. Is Kopi and DD the GM? Did Blake allow Kopi to name his price? It’s just mindless.

Greatest LA King of All-Time; very well deserved contract.
That reasoning is why the Kings have been a disaster for 8 years.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
The people bitching about this contract are the same ones that were probably wanting 40 point Vilardi or 20 point Byfield as our #1C.

Kopi has carried this team on his back and led the team in scoring for the last 100 years; if someone wants that 1C spot then earn it.

Bunch of bums are prospects are.

connor-mc-gregor-gtfo.gif

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
The people bitching about this contract are the same ones that were probably wanting 40 point Vilardi or 20 point Byfield as our #1C.

Kopi has carried this team on his back and led the team in scoring for the last 100 years; if someone wants that 1C spot then earn it.

Bunch of bums are prospects are.

connor-mc-gregor-gtfo.gif
Bunch of maroons around here - this is exactly right. Kopi is the consummate professional and does it year after year. You guys act like losing Kopi won't be a big deal. His contract is not as bas as Doughty.

jgs

Oct 24, 2019
All that is possible and we will see.
I did not mention any of your conjecture, not sure why you feel you have to pin me down on the future.
Kopi has made a big commitment to the Kings and it helped greatly for our only 2 cups.
He asked for a commitment from the team now, not really a demand.
I feel the team handled it appropriately.
Much like Gavi its only 2 years.
Blake expires as well in 2 years so he is probably getting input from his chain of command on who he signs and for how long.
Coming off the books after the season:
Tmac
Arvi
Roy
all goalies
Lizzo
Grundy
Lewis
numerous RFA's
numerous depth UFA's
After 24/25
BLAKE
Gavi
Englund

But a few posters have loudly assured people that the Kings are the one AEG entity that has absolutely no plan!
They couldn't be wrong!!
Or..
No disrespect intended. I hope Kopi keeps putting up 70 or more points in the next 3 years and he just might. But age always has a way to catch up us and we cannot do the things we used to do. It is just interesting to me that he demanded a contract now when he has one year left on his current contract. Maybe he is think his point total will drop and his highest value is right now.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
There’s a path where this extension ages well, and a path where it doesn’t.

In both cases the salary cap will be increasing, likely by more than the current minimum projections, which I have a hunch will be suddenly adjusted following the conclusion of escrow payments by the players.

So I think this is either going to be good, or mediocre, but not terrible. A little cheaper would have been nicer but whatever.

Last edited:

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
No disrespect intended. I hope Kopi keeps putting up 70 or more points in the next 3 years and he just might. But age always has a way to catch up us and we cannot do the things we used to do. It is just interesting to me that he demanded a contract now when he has one year left on his current contract. Maybe he is think his point total will drop and his highest value is right now.
You know he uses a well known agent, right?

Reactions: jgs

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I don't really mind it being a 2 year deal, but its about a million more than I would've wanted/thought he'd get. I agree that there was no real rush to get this done. We're lucky that Kopi hasn't completely fallen off, but it could happen as soon as this upcoming season, which makes it more confusing as to why this needed to get done in early July.

And look I get it. He's arguably the greatest Kings player ever, but there's been too much kowtowing to Kopi and Drew these past couple of years, and this is coming from someone who has defended those 2 for years for their performance relative to their contracts. Like who's the GM here Blake?

Is it awful? No, but this didn't needed to be done this soon

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
There’s a path where this extension ages well, and a path where it doesn’t.

In both cases the salary cap will be increasing, likely by more than the current minimum projections, which I have a hunch will be suddenly adjusted following the conclusion of escrow payments by the players.

So I think this is either this is going to be good, or mediocre, but not terrible. A little cheaper would have been nicer but whatever.
The last set of thank you contracts are what put the kings in this cap hole. He’s been overpaid for years and now we are doing it again at age 36? The precedent is now set for DD.

Reactions: KINGS17

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
There's no way the Kings were going to let him walk. It's about a mil more than I thought and a year shorter.
I was hoping for less AAV to allow them to be more competitive OR retirement and 10mil available to plug some holes - now that PLD is in the stable. I still think after the PLD signing too much $$ is tied up with the forwards at the expense of G and LD

Reactions: kingsfan28

Surf Nutz

May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
it's weird hearing someone say he doesn't the big money. beyond the fact that kopi has made a TON of money from the Kings. You'd think he might feel HE owes them something for not having him suffer his last 3-5 years of playing NHL for a tanking horrible team and babysitting 18-20yr olds....like the Ducks did to Getzlaf. Nope, the Kings turned things up and signed big vet FAs and traded away future for immediate guys...all in order to make the playoffs for Kopi/DD. In return, a $7M/year contract extension a year away for his years 37-38.
Lol , hilarious take.
The Kings parent is AEG.
Don't ever think the formulate plans without profit being the top priority.
They certainly don't prioritize their billion dollar entities plans around employees above making money.
I can understand Complaints about Blake on up and beyond Beckerman but this is just about people reacting emotionally and not having the ability to compartmentalize and think rationally.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Just zero need to be done now especially when the risk of him potentially falling off a cliff is so great. Not a fan of it. Because he signed it now does it do away with the +35 clause?
No, the contract applies for when it begins. So even if he was 34 when he signed it, he is 35 when the contract comes into effect.

Reactions: AbsentMojo

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I remember conversing on this board a year ago about how Kopitar was about to fall off a cliff. How he would be a 1C until he wasn’t. Somehow he just kept on trucking, doing what he always does. If hockey had a Mr. Consistency award, Kopitar would win every year.

At the end of the day, he wanted it, the Kings wanted it, the Kings can afford it. If Kopitar continues to do what he always does and put up 60+ points the next three years, good deal. No evidence that this won’t happen.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I don't really mind it being a 2 year deal, but its about a million more than I would've wanted/thought he'd get. I agree that there was no real rush to get this done. We're lucky that Kopi hasn't completely fallen off, but it could happen as soon as this upcoming season, which makes it more confusing as to why this needed to get done in early July.

And look I get it. He's arguably the greatest Kings player ever, but there's been too much kowtowing to Kopi and Drew these past couple of years, and this is coming from someone who has defended those 2 for years for their performance relative to their contracts. Like who's the GM here Blake?

Is it awful? No, but this didn't needed to be done this soon
Yup.

Why not check back around the end of the calendar year?

The way I see it Kopitar’s season goes a few ways.

1. He maintains the same level as last year
2. His play falls off slightly
3. His play falls off moderately
4. His play falls off significantly

If Kopitar's season is going 1 or 2, wouldn't this contract be able to be signed at that time?
If it goes 3 or 4 the Kings are in pretty big trouble

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad