coelacanths_thumb.jpg

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yup, used to regularly lose these games. We need a middle 6 F with some play driving pop though.

Not to go too off topic but how was that show lol?
He's not bad. Think he has a future in the nhl.... :sarcasm:

But he's just so far ahead in a class of his own compared to the rest of the team, so he just stands out even more. Think over the last 20 or so games he has 45pts and 19-20 goals. His first goal was a beauty, and his stick handling, especially in tight spaces and shot stood out alot. I don't think his team is that good for the year. The Pats got pummeled, but the Ice have a V strong squad too.

Savoie also was really impressive for the Ice. Every time he was on the the ice he generated a chance for it seemed like. Also had a hat trick and 3 assists. Geekie didn't stand out much

Last edited:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
KC said he was pissed he didn't celebrate the hattrick by doing the Teemu's glove shotgun celly.

Now I am pissed off because that absolutely would have been epic on this special night.

Watching Teemu applaud the hattie from his perch above, reminded me of Cesar watching his 2 favorite gladiators battle it out. Connor raising his sword in victory as Cesar applauds in appreciation.

I think watching the hatty take the roof off the arena last night brought back memories of when he was taking the roof off the old barn. I really do think he was reminiscing at that moment.

Scheif line was pretty dominant at times, good to see KC get rewarded.

Dubois line struggled throughout the game but Dubois played well.

Samberg had some good moments sprinkled with some not so good moments.

I did like the fact he was able to catch a couple of Duck wingers after some blunders at the duck's blue line. He was faster than I anticipated. Also managed the puck well in our zone and kept guys to the outside.

I would like to see Dylon start to add a bit more physicality to his game, and maybe a punch to the head of the Duck player that shot the puck 5 seconds after the whistle blew.

Gus was really good last night. I find myself watching him for his entire shifts as he is smart with the puck and away from it. His forechecking is solid and he seems to play well with whoever we put on that line. That is testament to Gus's overall game.

Eyessimont had some good shifts throughout the game as did Axel.

And on that note, hats off to Scott Arniel identifying and getting Axel on our roster. He has been very consistent with us and uses his speed effectively in all zones. Under the radar pickup for sure.

Not a perfect win but this was a game that in previous years where we would make a stupid mistake or press at a bad time and end up coming out on the bottom. The Ducks are fast and aggressive matched with some young energetic legs. That type of team was our nightmare in seasons past.

Zegras has flare, fun to watch.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
To whoever that controllers the GDT thread. Someone disagreed with my take on the Ducks/Jets game. Why can I not respond?
Did I break a rule?
Please let me know why I was banned from responding in that thread, so I never make that mistake again.
It might have been the site. I was unable to post off my phone during the game but had no problems with my PC during intermissions or after.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Some lingering questions about the Jets overall play last night, but they won the possession battle and xGF% quite handily. In terms of the top line they were dominant. All 3 of Scheifele, Connor and Gagner were above 70 CF% and above 60 xGF%.

Yeah they didn't look great doing it but we are more and more winning the underlying numbers battles in games.

We really just need to get our second line going now. I'd like to see them take a page out of line one and do a better job holding the puck up and cycling. It seems they have been a bit out of synch on the cycle and on their break ins. They also need to figure out how to get Dubois in as F1 on the forecheck more as he's the best at winning possesion and keeping it. Cole is young and learning and not doing too bad at board battles so far but Blake despite his effort seems to be loosing way too many one on one contests for the puck and it hurts their ability to gain control of the puck in the offensive zone.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ugly game but good 2 points. The game reminded me a bit too much of last season's Jets.

Top line great. Scheifele with a monster effort. If Ehlers was healthy I wouldn't even put him on this line as 55 is already driving it. The 2nd line could really use Ehlers though.

Really good effort from the 4th line.

3rd line hit and miss.

2nd line looks awful right now. It doesn't help when PLD keeps making questionable decisions with the puck but Perfetti doesn't look great either. Wheeler is trying his best but is 36. Nice vote of confidence by Bowness playing Gus up in that line late in the 3rd.

Not a fan of Samberg/Capo's games tonight. Should be Heinola in next game if DeMelo is not ready. Capo didn't do enough to earn another look.

Capo was terrible. Samberg had a great game, IMO.

Reactions: WaveRaven

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not the best game by the team but they did enough to win.

Nice to see Conner break through with a Hat trick. The top line was really buzzing.

JoMo with another strong night.

Didn't care for the second line much. For having size neither Dubois/Wheeler are creating space and cycling well. They are a rush line that doesn't have enough speed. Cole didn't have as good of hands as he usually does. He was mishandling pucks he usually has no issue with.

Bottom 6 played pretty well.

Didn't think Samberg or Capo were very steady tonight.

Guess I watched a different game than some others. Samberg was outstanding, IMO, covering up for Capo's misplays. Good play all over the ice, with and without the puck.

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I thought Jets started the game strong. Then got very sloppy in the later 1st. Looked to me like they failed to respect their opponent, thought they could get away with a lot. But they settled down and played well the last 2 periods. Maybe not pretty, but solid for a team starting to suffer from the injury bug.

Reactions: Jets 31

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Guess I watched a different game than some others. Samberg was outstanding, IMO, covering up for Capo's misplays. Good play all over the ice, with and without the puck.

I thought Dylan was mishandling the puck a decent amount of the time and making odd plays with it. He was good defensively.

Yeah Capo was pretty terrible so maybe that colored my view.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
I thought Dylan was mishandling the puck a decent amount of the time and making odd plays with it. He was good defensively.

Agreed about Samberg. Rough game for him. Capo is a good skater but seemed really tentative and uncertain last night. A lack of commitment in an aggressive system like ours means you are out of position all the time.

Towards the end of Dillon's 17 penalty minutes I really started to notice his absence, which is a testament to how steady he has been this year. His physical presence is appreciated and he has great defensive awareness. Capo and Samberg really struggled to fill in those extra minutes.

I think the coaching staff agreed given how often they kept throwing Josh out there... 28:32 in a game that didn't go to overtime! Not that I'm complaining. I could watch Josh skate for hours.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Agreed about Samberg. Rough game for him. Capo is a good skater but seemed really tentative and uncertain last night. A lack of commitment in an aggressive system like ours means you are out of position all the time.

Towards the end of Dillon's 17 penalty minutes I really started to notice his absence, which is a testament to how steady he has been this year. His physical presence is appreciated and he has great defensive awareness. Capo and Samberg really struggled to fill in those extra minutes.

I think the coaching staff agreed given how often they kept throwing Josh out there... 28:32 in a game that didn't go to overtime! Not that I'm complaining. I could watch Josh skate for hours.

That one cross ice pass from 44 was awful, not Sambergs fault imo.

I'd like to be able to sit down and re-watch that game with several of you. I could point out all of the great plays I saw Snerg make last night and you could tell me why they were actually bad. :laugh:

I thought he had just an outstanding game last night. All game, I was seeing him make one great play after another whenever he was on the ice. Won a couple of footraces against Ducks forwards recovering from other players mistakes. I didn't think he had that kind of speed in him. Those stood out but they weren't even among his best plays.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
I'd like to be able to sit down and re-watch that game with several of you. I could point out all of the great plays I saw Snerg make last night and you could tell me why they were actually bad. :laugh:

I thought he had just an outstanding game last night. All game, I was seeing him make one great play after another whenever he was on the ice. Won a couple of footraces against Ducks forwards recovering from other players mistakes. I didn't think he had that kind of speed in him. Those stood out but they weren't even among his best plays.
He just seemed to be fighting the puck a lot and I can remember a couple plays where he misread an offensive players body position and fell behind the play. He no doubt had some good plays too, as you point it. I am holding him to a higher standard now and didn't think last night was a step towards showing his full potential. He needs more consistency.

And I would love to watch a game with fellow hockey nerds. I'll often criticize a forechecking route or a missed assignment or a turnover and my dog will look at me puzzled, and my wife will warn me about waking up the baby. Haha I don't get out much anymore...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He just seemed to be fighting the puck a lot and I can remember a couple plays where he misread an offensive players body position and fell behind the play. He no doubt had some good plays too, as you point it. I am holding him to a higher standard now and didn't think last night was a step towards showing his full potential. He needs more consistency.

And I would love to watch a game with fellow hockey nerds. I'll often criticize a forechecking route or a missed assignment or a turnover and my dog will look at me puzzled, and my wife will warn me about waking up the baby. Haha I don't get out much anymore...

I'm sure he must have had a poor play or 2. I didn't notice them. I noticed so many good plays that I lost track. But sometimes, what I think is a good play actually is not. :laugh: Or at least not as good as I thought it was.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yeah they didn't look great doing it but we are more and more winning the underlying numbers battles in games.

We really just need to get our second line going now. I'd like to see them take a page out of line one and do a better job holding the puck up and cycling. It seems they have been a bit out of synch on the cycle and on their break ins. They also need to figure out how to get Dubois in as F1 on the forecheck more as he's the best at winning possesion and keeping it. Cole is young and learning and not doing too bad at board battles so far but Blake despite his effort seems to be loosing way too many one on one contests for the puck and it hurts their ability to gain control of the puck in the offensive zone.
I don't believe Wheels has any interest in board battles at this point in his career -
Not much physical in his game anymore - he's losing many of those battles now because he's not using his size / strength.

That may change but I seriously doubt it - I'm not saying he's mailing it in but he's not playing anything close to a physical game and I think it's by choice and based on the stage of his career. He sees himself as the set up man / passer and that's what he will contribute - and he's getting the points so he's filling his boots.
Maybe Bones can convince him to be a bit more aggressive - maybe he just needs a reminder.
But personally, I don't think he's interested in risking it - and in many ways, it's might be hard to ask that from a guy at his point - IDK.

And it's still there if he chooses to use it -
I like it when he gets pissed off - for what ever reason - that's when you see the player I want to see more often.
230 lbs of "don't f$$k with me" -

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I'm with you. I think he bobbled the puck a bit and made a few miss passes (like others), but I like his defensive awareness and I think he makes a lot of good quick moves with the puck on retrievals that might go unnoticed.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't believe Wheels has any interest in board battles at this point in his career -
Not much physical in his game anymore - he's losing many of those battles now because he's not using his size / strength.

That may change but I seriously doubt it - I'm not saying he's mailing it in but he's not playing anything close to a physical game and I think it's by choice and based on the stage of his career. He sees himself as the set up man / passer and that's what he will contribute - and he's getting the points so he's filling his boots.
Maybe Bones can convince him to be a bit more aggressive - maybe he just needs a reminder.
But personally, I don't think he's interested in risking it - and in many ways, it's might be hard to ask that from a guy at his point - IDK.

And it's still there if he chooses to use it -
I like it when he gets pissed off - for what ever reason - that's when you see the player I want to see more often.
230 lbs of "don't f$$k with me" -

Yeah it could be that. It's a bit hard to run a game plan with a big component on trench warfare when one of your players isn't able or as willing to play it. I am not trying to rag on Blake as he's had his moments of good play this year but the forecheck and board area of his game has been quite lacking. He's looked at his best when he has two other players doing all the mucking and he can just fund the soft ice.

I honestly wouldn't mind trying him on line 1 with how Kyle and Mark are playing and maybe give line 2 Gagner as they need a player who can win pucks on the forecheck.

It just goes to show that everyone sees different things when they watch. Or they are drawn to different things more then others. I definitely think Samberg is well on his way to becoming a key member of the team.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I don't see games this year where the team just gives up for a period or two. That was far too common the last few years. Doesn't mean that we are always dominating, not saying that at all. But we always seem to be fighting hard.

We iced a relatively weak lineup for us, and pulled out a hard fought win. Not going to nit pick - nothing to complain about at all. Great win.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad